Options

OFFICIAL 2021 Tour de France thread

Comments

• Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    imalive wrote:
    According to Velo News he was booted for the head butting.

that was some crazy shit! i've never seen anything like it :shock:

didn't read about today....haven't seen it yet and didn't want to spoil the suspense. :mrgreen:

Sorry. Maybe SPOILER should be put in the thread title.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,496
    imalive wrote:
    According to Velo News he was booted for the head butting.

that was some crazy shit! i've never seen anything like it :shock:

didn't read about today....haven't seen it yet and didn't want to spoil the suspense. :mrgreen:

Sorry. Maybe SPOILER should be put in the thread title.

no worries....i stopped after the discussion about yesterday's sprint...added my 2 cents....and then watched today's stage. Man...that last hill...most of them looked to be in danger of falling over. :problem:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    on a related note.... "the daily line" sucks.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    imalive wrote:
    on a related note.... "the daily line" sucks.

Agreed that show is awful. PL quote of the day " There is radar on the road and these boys are going to blow the lightbulbs for sure"

Nice finish by Vino
  • Options
    Cavendish is f'ing fast, that guy can fly when he is on.
  • Options
    Congrats to Vino. He was on a mission today. Cav had something to prove today too - that he can win a sprint without Renshaw.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    wow ... wanna hear what those 4 have to say about attacking Andy with a messed up chain?
  • Options
    was turning out to be a boring stage but some drama at the end ... hate to see andy lose yellow because of a chain ...

nice ride ryder!! ... you can crack the top 10!!
  • Options
    Bad on Contador's part. I wouldn't want the yellow jersey under those circumstances. He didn't get it on performance, but due to a mechanical.
  • Options
    Let me clarify. If the other two - Menchov and Sanchez - could have been convinced to wait then he should have waited. If they wouldn't then that would be tough to let them get away.
  • Options
    Let me clarify. If the other two - Menchov and Sanchez - could have been convinced to wait then he should have waited. If they wouldn't then that would be tough to let them get away.

ya ... i'm torn on this ... he can't give time to menchov ... at least shleck is still only 8 seconds back ... and basically nothing changes in terms of things are gonna be decided on the tourmalet ... and the time trial ...

want to hear what contador has to say ... pretty sure menchov could care less ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

ya ... i'm torn on this ... he can't give time to menchov ... at least shleck is still only 8 seconds back ... and basically nothing changes in terms of things are gonna be decided on the tourmalet ... and the time trial ...

want to hear what contador has to say ... pretty sure menchov could care less ...

I was following the live race feeds online as it was happening. Looks like AC really pick up time on the descent. Looked like they were only separated by about 10secs going over the top. Still strange tactics by AC. Glad I am not the one messing with karma.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    I was following the live race feeds online as it was happening. Looks like AC really pick up time on the descent. Looked like they were only separated by about 10secs going over the top. Still strange tactics by AC. Glad I am not the one messing with karma.

the time gaps are often inaccurate based on the feeds ... in watching the broadcast ... it looked like to me it was somewhere around 23 seconds ... but i'm just speculating ...

in reviewing this and reading their comments ... these things stick out:

1. AC DEFINITELY knew that andy had a mechanical problem ... i don't believe him when he only found out after.
    2. AC did wait for Andy when he crashed earlier in the tour
    3. Andy took advantage of crashes, flats and such on the cobblestones to gain time on many GC guys
    4. This is bike racing and his chain falling off is partly his fault for misgearing - should someone wait for you if you kind of mess up?

all in all ... i think AC should have waited but i don't think the tour will be decided by this incident ...
  • Options
    The rider who probably got the worst deal from all this: Thomas Voekler. Poor guy rides tremendously, wins a tough stage, and all the talk is about whether Contador should have waited for Schleck.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:

the time gaps are often inaccurate based on the feeds ... in watching the broadcast ... it looked like to me it was somewhere around 23 seconds ... but i'm just speculating ...

in reviewing this and reading their comments ... these things stick out:

1. AC DEFINITELY knew that andy had a mechanical problem ... i don't believe him when he only found out after.
    2. AC did wait for Andy when he crashed earlier in the tour
    3. Andy took advantage of crashes, flats and such on the cobblestones to gain time on many GC guys
    4. This is bike racing and his chain falling off is partly his fault for misgearing - should someone wait for you if you kind of mess up?

all in all ... i think AC should have waited but i don't think the tour will be decided by this incident ...

The Tourmalet is going to be fun to watch. Yes it is a tough question to answer. They don't stop the clock on a time trial if you flat or loose your chain and liek you said on the cobbles no one waits. AC essentially grabbed seconds that he won't really need and in the process makes himself look like a jerk. He is a much better TT'er than AS.
  • Options
    The rider who probably got the worst deal from all this: Thomas Voekler. Poor guy rides tremendously, wins a tough stage, and all the talk is about whether Contador should have waited for Schleck.

Agreed
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    The Tourmalet is going to be fun to watch. Yes it is a tough question to answer. They don't stop the clock on a time trial if you flat or loose your chain and liek you said on the cobbles no one waits. AC essentially grabbed seconds that he won't really need and in the process makes himself look like a jerk. He is a much better TT'er than AS.

tomorrow will be devastation!

i'm not so certain AC didn't need these seconds on second thought ... if he thinks his form is not as good as Andy's - he may be scared of losing a minute or so on the tourmalet climbs tomorrow and thursday ... if Andy gets 90 seconds on AC - he just might be able to ride within that on the TT ... maybe AC didn't want to take that chance ...
  • Options
    in the end, the best guy is still going to win. who that is............i don't know. :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdOJLuePexs

Contador's explanation with English subtitles. The translation is not so good. But I think this helps Bertie's cause. Your thoughts?
  • Options
    Share Updated: July 20, 2010, 7:56 AM ET

Contador apologizes to Schleck

MADRID -- Spanish cyclist Alberto Contador has apologized for the way he took over the lead in the Tour de France from rival Andy Schleck.

During Monday's stage, Schleck's chain came off and Contador kept riding, rather than waiting in accordance with race etiquette.

In a video posted on YouTube, Contador said: "Maybe I made a mistake. I'm sorry. I don't like things like what happened today, I'm not like that and I hope the relationship that I have with Andy can go back to being as good as it was before this happened."

Contador initially insisted he hadn't seen that Schleck had a problem.

The tour continues Tuesday with the 16th stage.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

can I get a grain of salt with that? :think:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Share Updated: July 20, 2010, 7:56 AM ET

Contador apologizes to Schleck

MADRID -- Spanish cyclist Alberto Contador has apologized for the way he took over the lead in the Tour de France from rival Andy Schleck.

During Monday's stage, Schleck's chain came off and Contador kept riding, rather than waiting in accordance with race etiquette.

In a video posted on YouTube, Contador said: "Maybe I made a mistake. I'm sorry. I don't like things like what happened today, I'm not like that and I hope the relationship that I have with Andy can go back to being as good as it was before this happened."

Contador initially insisted he hadn't seen that Schleck had a problem.

The tour continues Tuesday with the 16th stage.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

can I get a grain of salt with that? :think:

I love "Maybe I made a mistake" What a shitty way to lose yellow though.
  • Options
    yeah ... like i said yesterday, i'm pretty sure alberto knew there was an issue and by the way he was looking back constantly up the rest of the climb - i'm guessing he was kinda hoping he would see andy ... hopefully, the tour won't be decided by these 40 seconds ...

the long descent finish today is kinda ruining the stage ... nothing is gonna happen ... we'll see if lance can win a stage ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    yeah ... like i said yesterday, i'm pretty sure alberto knew there was an issue and by the way he was looking back constantly up the rest of the climb - i'm guessing he was kinda hoping he would see andy ... hopefully, the tour won't be decided by these 40 seconds ...

the long descent finish today is kinda ruining the stage ... nothing is gonna happen ... we'll see if lance can win a stage ...

Much better when they have the Mt. top finishes.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Much better when they have the Mt. top finishes.

yeah ... how can you have a stage with two cat 1 and two HC climbs and have no change in the top of the GC standing? ... ridiculous ...
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Hopefully all the talk of AS and AC will give way to the racing. Not sure what all the fuss was about as AC had already stopped for AC during the tour and how many times do they have to. Next we'll have F1 drivers pulling over for a guy with a flat.

If you take part in a sport where you can be at the mercy of a mechanical object you have to take the knocks.

This tour is excellent and it's a shame it finishes Sunday.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    from ac's twitter:

@andy_schleck and me have been talking in the race about yesterday and our relationship will not change.We are good friends.
  • Options
    PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    quote] I bet LA would be a little closer if not for those crashes and prob on pace for a podium finish. At this point in his career no longer in the same class as the pure climber's. From what I was reading BMC was pushing a monster pace. Looks like Astana's team so far has been the strongest as AC has been surrounded by his team for good parts of the climbs. Levi not in the same class as those guys either.[/quote]

LA would absolutley be in a better place and poised for the podium if not for the crashes and the flat tire during the earlier stages. He came into TDF in good form this year after placing 2nd in the GC for Tour de Suisse. I don't think he anticipated these circumstances when he announced 2010 would be his last TDF. I would be surprised if he retracts and is back next year. I see the podium being AC, AS but not sure who to call as a possible 3rd. Though I would love to see Levi up there. He's 7 in GC right now.

Good to see some cycling fans here. Maybe we'll see a PJ cycling jersey in the Goods section someday. :thumbup:
  • Options
    PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    quote] I bet LA would be a little closer if not for those crashes and prob on pace for a podium finish. At this point in his career no longer in the same class as the pure climber's. From what I was reading BMC was pushing a monster pace. Looks like Astana's team so far has been the strongest as AC has been surrounded by his team for good parts of the climbs. Levi not in the same class as those guys either.

LA would absolutley be in a better place and poised for the podium if not for the crashes and the flat tire during the earlier stages. He came into TDF in good form this year after placing 2nd in the GC for Tour de Suisse. I don't think he anticipated these circumstances when he announced 2010 would be his last TDF. I would be surprised if he retracts and is back next year. I see the podium being AC, AS but not sure who to call as a possible 3rd. Though I would love to see Levi up there. He's 7 in GC right now.

Good to see some cycling fans here. Maybe we'll see a PJ cycling jersey in the Goods section someday. :thumbup:[/quote]

I meant to say I "wouldn't" be surprised if LA retracts and is back next year.
  • Options
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    quote] I bet LA would be a little closer if not for those crashes and prob on pace for a podium finish. At this point in his career no longer in the same class as the pure climber's. From what I was reading BMC was pushing a monster pace. Looks like Astana's team so far has been the strongest as AC has been surrounded by his team for good parts of the climbs. Levi not in the same class as those guys either.

Good to see some cycling fans here. Maybe we'll see a PJ cycling jersey in the Goods section someday. :thumbup:

I meant to say I "wouldn't" be surprised if LA retracts and is back next year.[/quote]

I believe he is racing next year just not at the TDF. The one crash where he slide on is back at 40MPH I think really took a lot out of him. Really tough for him to compete with the younger riders at this point in his career. Would love to see him ride some of the one day spring classics (Paris Roubaix) Nice to see him on the break yesterday. When was the last time we saw that. Terrible stage b/c the finish was all downhill. With those MT's should have been a MT finish.
    Yes a PJ Jersey that says I'm still alive as I haul my ass up the big hills here in central mass.
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    Hopefully all the talk of AS and AC will give way to the racing. Not sure what all the fuss was about as AC had already stopped for AC during the tour and how many times do they have to. Next we'll have F1 drivers pulling over for a guy with a flat.

If you take part in a sport where you can be at the mercy of a mechanical object you have to take the knocks.

This tour is excellent and it's a shame it finishes Sunday.

They don't stop the clock on a TT if you have a problem.

AC can settle all of this by winning with a 2+ minute cushion.

Always hate it when the tour ends