Options

OFFICIAL 2021 Tour de France thread

Comments

• Options
    PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    imalive wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

either way - great race ... can't wait for next year ...
    absolutely...can't wait :mrgreen:
    i'm not much of a "gun guy" and i find AC's finger shoot to be in kind of questionable taste. maybe i'm just too sensitive (something i've never been accused of) :lol:

I can't wait either. Something about AC just annoyed me this year. Schlek is so young. I am sure he has a lot of TDFs ahead. It will be a different landscape next year as it sounds like the Schleks will leave Saxo to anchor a new team based in their home country of Luxembourg. It was great to see Radio Shack take 1st place in the team classification with two of their USA riders even being in the top 15 in individual classifications. :clap: :thumbup: It's a bit sad to see Lance leave, though.

But what the heck was Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz doing there??? :roll:
    Did we really need to see them?? Who cares about their bad movie.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    nuffingman wrote:
    Me too, can't wait for next year, it seems a bit boring now with it's finished. The commentators were saying that they felt AC wasn't at his best this year but he still won. So we'll have to wait and see what happens next year.

he has been saying it's been a struggle both physically and mentally this year ... his inability to ride away from his key competition (mainly Andy) gave him considerable doubt on whether he could win ... but apparently, his wattage and key metrics are the same as last year ... just think Andy has gotten that much better ...

i don't know if it's a good idea for the shlecks to leave Saxo Bank ... i mean if there is a Team TT next year - that'll be huge ... it's tough getting the superdomestiques!! ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    Me too, can't wait for next year, it seems a bit boring now with it's finished. The commentators were saying that they felt AC wasn't at his best this year but he still won. So we'll have to wait and see what happens next year.

he has been saying it's been a struggle both physically and mentally this year ... his inability to ride away from his key competition (mainly Andy) gave him considerable doubt on whether he could win ... but apparently, his wattage and key metrics are the same as last year ... just think Andy has gotten that much better ...

i don't know if it's a good idea for the shlecks to leave Saxo Bank ... i mean if there is a Team TT next year - that'll be huge ... it's tough getting the superdomestiques!! ...

I don't think they should mess with the current Saxo team either...they have a great chemistry and a lot of talent. But is sounds like someone may be stepping forward with big bucks. Money talks. I also heard Specialized may sponsor a team as well.
  • Options
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    I don't think they should mess with the current Saxo team either...they have a great chemistry and a lot of talent. But is sounds like someone may be stepping forward with big bucks. Money talks. I also heard Specialized may sponsor a team as well.

yeah ... without Frank ... they suffered in the Team GC standings and they don't really have a sprinter on Saxo Bank but it's hard to be in it for everything ...

i personally think Andy should move from Specialized - he had the chain drop at a crucial time and he had a slight mechanical on his TT which probably cost him a couple of seconds ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJGirl321 wrote:

yeah ... without Frank ... they suffered in the Team GC standings and they don't really have a sprinter on Saxo Bank but it's hard to be in it for everything ...

i personally think Andy should move from Specialized - he had the chain drop at a crucial time and he had a slight mechanical on his TT which probably cost him a couple of seconds ...

Isn't it really whatever bike sponsors the team? I don't think the riders can pick. Overall I think Specializes performs pretty good in racing. I actually think Specialized makes a good product. Not that I ride like AS, but I finally moved to a Specialized Ruby after two Treks and I am much happier with Specialized.

Maybe Andy needs a new mechanic. ;)
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Have you heard the big news? Alberto is moving to Saxo Bank. Apparently Saxo Bank looks better to AC than Astana.

As to whether AC would have won without chaingate, how much time did AS lose adjusting his chain? Did anyone ever calculate it?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    Have you heard the big news? Alberto is moving to Saxo Bank. Apparently Saxo Bank looks better to AC than Astana.

As to whether AC would have won without chaingate, how much time did AS lose adjusting his chain? Did anyone ever calculate it?

assuming AC and AS would not be able to lose each other on stage 15 - the time difference between what was lost on stage 15 to AS and what was gained by AC on the final TT is exactly the same. 39 seconds. So, they would have virtually tied.

Not totally surprised he's going to Saxo Bank although I thought he might jump ship to a Spanish team ... as for next year's tour tho - he will need support if he hopes to win again ... another year for Andy and Frank and they will be too much for AC to contend with ...
  • Options
    B
    U
    S
    T
    E
    D

food contamination!?? ... these guys come up with a new excuse every time ...
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    polaris_x wrote:
    B
    U
    S
    T
    E
    D

food contamination!?? ... these guys come up with a new excuse every time ...

t1larg.contador.gi.jpg

You beat me to it and after all this time still no positive tests for 7 time winner Lance Armstrong. BTW that IS a very weak excuse indeed. These athletes are extremely careful what they put in there bodies much less get their food (clenbuterol) contaminated with something else. These elite cyclists are catered to in every way.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/09/30 ... /?hpt=Sbin

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    You beat me to it and after all this time still no positive tests for 7 time winner Lance Armstrong. BTW that IS a very weak excuse indeed. These athletes are extremely careful what they put in there bodies much less get their food (clenbuterol) contaminated with something else. These elite cyclists are catered to in every way.

Peace

i'm pretty sure lance doped ... my theory is they only get caught when they do something stupid ... which is possible in this case because the race was soooo close ... it was on the second rest day and at that time - he knew he wouldn't be able to shake andy shleck in the mountains ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

i'm pretty sure lance doped ... my theory is they only get caught when they do something stupid ... which is possible in this case because the race was soooo close ... it was on the second rest day and at that time - he knew he wouldn't be able to shake andy shleck in the mountains ...

How are you sure Lance doped? Like my stepson to be says.."if there's no video proof or being caught in the act I didn't do it". Well, I know otherwise just from his own actions tells me different.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    How are you sure Lance doped? Like my stepson to be says.."if there's no video proof or being caught in the act I didn't do it". Well, I know otherwise just from his own actions tells me different.

Peace

because a) he's been ratted out by a few people and b) the guy never had a bad day in 7 years ... i know enough about cycling and endurance sports that athletes have bad days ... he never had one ... doping is rampant - the technology and science will always be superior to the testing ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

because a) he's been ratted out by a few people and b) the guy never had a bad day in 7 years ... i know enough about cycling and endurance sports that athletes have bad days ... he never had one ... doping is rampant - the technology and science will always be superior to the testing ...

Yes he has been lucky, even falling off the bike several times during the Tours. That aside I know one thing that helped to drive him to those wins was his training (fair or unfair) for the Tour specifically and it's routes. He never trained for the Tour Espana (Tour Of Spain) or the Giro (Tour of Italy) his entire training was geared towards the TDF and so was his team that surrounded him.

Do you need to have a "bad day" to be legitimized for not doping?

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Yes he has been lucky, even falling off the bike several times during the Tours. That aside I know one thing that helped to drive him to those wins was his training (fair or unfair) for the Tour specifically and it's routes. He never trained for the Tour Espana (Tour Of Spain) or the Giro (Tour of Italy) his entire training was geared towards the TDF and so was his team that surrounded him.

Peace

every serious contender he was racing against trained to peak for the tour ... and they all doped ... look - i understand his story is inspirational to many and that it would be a kick to the junk if he was a fraud but the reality is that objective evidence points to doping ... remember, marion jones never tested positive (that we know) nor did carl lewis ... but we all know those folks doped ...

as for the "bad day" - not having one doesn't necessarily prove you did dope but these guys are doing a 3 week endurance race every year ... ask any endurance athlete and they will say that some days just don't go so well for whatever reason ... he didn't have one in 7 years of which his races lasted 3 weeks ... that is ridiculous ...
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

andy_schleck_1.6709713.1279478579.jpg

:mrgreen:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Kloddz wrote:
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

andy_schleck_1.6709713.1279478579.jpg

:mrgreen:
    You don't get that thin without doping!!! :lol:

In the article originally posted.

Daniel Friebe, features editor of Pro Cycling magazine, believes it is possible the Spaniard could have received the substance in food, and this case is not comparable to other doping scandals in cycling.
    Friebe told CNN: "This really does sound like a legitimate excuse.
    "It's well known that clenbuterol is used on cattle. This is an alibi that's been used before and it's been verified before. It doesn't sound impossible to me."
    He said that people familiar with other incidents of doping in the sport will recognize that Contador has been unlucky.
    "Most people who are au fait with how doping within cycling works will be fairly sure that this is quite different to other cases," he said.
    Friebe also explained how taking clenbuterol would not make sense for Contador and it could possibly have a negative effect on his performance.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

every serious contender he was racing against trained to peak for the tour ... and they all doped ... look - i understand his story is inspirational to many and that it would be a kick to the junk if he was a fraud but the reality is that objective evidence points to doping ... remember, marion jones never tested positive (that we know) nor did carl lewis ... but we all know those folks doped ...

as for the "bad day" - not having one doesn't necessarily prove you did dope but these guys are doing a 3 week endurance race every year ... ask any endurance athlete and they will say that some days just don't go so well for whatever reason ... he didn't have one in 7 years of which his races lasted 3 weeks ... that is ridiculous ...

Sorry, I STILL don't know Lance doped based on him not having a bad day in 7 years. I do know he had bad days he was the kind of poker face rider who didn't want anyone to know this fact. Either way Lance won't be racing the TDF anymore, I wish the tour and it's riders well. Let's hope they can come up with a more comprehensive plan to clean up the sport.

On another note I'll continue to ride. Aside from my dream ride of scaling Alpe D'Huez and it's 21 switchbacks. I'm going to ride this month that big lake here in Florida, Lake Okeechobee. It's 116 miles around and with an average speed of 22 mph, it should be a piece of cake. :D

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Sorry, I STILL don't know Lance doped based on him not having a bad day in 7 years. I do know he had bad days he was the kind of poker face rider who didn't want anyone to know this fact. Either way Lance won't be racing the TDF anymore, I wish the tour and it's riders well. Let's hope they can come up with a more comprehensive plan to clean up the sport.

On another note I'll continue to ride. Aside from my dream ride of scaling Alpe D'Huez and it's 21 switchbacks. I'm going to ride this month that big lake here in Florida, Lake Okeechobee. It's 116 miles around and with an average speed of 22 mph, it should be a piece of cake. :D

Peace

flat as a pancake in florida! ... 22 mph is pretty fast!! ... have a great ride ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

flat as a pancake in florida! ... 22 mph is pretty fast!! ... have a great ride ...

Florida is flat as a pancake and it takes geat mental toughness to ride these long straight endless roads. Even though they are all new to me since moving here several months ago from the DC METRO area. Lots of hills up there none here except for our landfills.

Took a short 30 mile ride out there by Lake Okeechobee and I now must make adjustments to my average speed more like 19 mph as the head/cross winds are no joke. One almost blew me off my bike, 19 mph seems more realistic if the wind blows like it did today. The Lake Okeechobee ride will have to be in Nov due my boys Pop Warner football playoffs. It should be cooler by then and less winds, I hope.

Peace

• Options
    20102828-128093.jpg

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/01/ ... ays_157185

For those who care about the sport of cycling as the house of cards come tumbling down on Alberto Contador.
    It's a shame, because professional cycling is such a great sport and the world just thinks the whole sport is dirty.

The biggest shame of it all is that Andy Schleck should have been on top of that podium in Paris. He should pull through come this summer.

Peace

• Options
    anyone else excited for this year's tour?

i think those radioshack guys are doping some kind of large this year ... wins at amgen and tour de suisse ... kloeden in the top 5 of a TT!?? ...

in any case ... let's hope Andy Shleck has worked on his TT and see if he can dump contador in the big mountain stages ... i don't really see any other contenders unless it's a newbie ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    anyone else excited for this year's tour?

i think those radioshack guys are doping some kind of large this year ... wins at amgen and tour de suisse ... kloeden in the top 5 of a TT!?? ...

in any case ... let's hope Andy Shleck has worked on his TT and see if he can dump contador in the big mountain stages ... i don't really see any other contenders unless it's a newbie ...

Yes, very excited for the Tour to begin! I hope the Shack comes up big as well. Would be fun to see Chris Horner have a good TDF. He was amazing in Amgen and he is 39 so will likely retire soon. Plus he is so likable.

NBC announced today that Saturday and Sunday's stages will be on NBC - REAL TV - for the first time ever. We're moving up in the world. :lol: YAY Cycling!

I would like to see Andy Schleck unseat Contador....but Contador was scary in the Giro. Who knows..we may have some dark horse surprise us this year as well.
  • Options
    You know... I like Bertie (Contador). Do I think he is clean? No more or less than the other top contenders. But he seems like a likeable guy from his tweets and some stories I have read about him. Plus, Lance and crew screwed him so bad that year and he still acts like a gentleman towards him.

I also hope Garmin has a good year. And of course, I have to root for Fabian too. Oh yeah, and Vino is another one that makes any race fun.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/05/ ... nce_172784

the bottom has the list of degree of suspicion surrounding doping ...

the article says 6 or higher has a high degree of suspicion ... i would put anyone on a 4 or higher as being suspicious ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/05/news/lequipe-publishes-list-of-ucis-doping-suspicions-from-2010-tour-de-france_172784

the article says 6 or higher has a high degree of suspicion ... i would put anyone on a 4 or higher as being suspicious ...

So tell me is Contador STILL the defending champion from 2010's TDF or what?

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/05/news/lequipe-publishes-list-of-ucis-doping-suspicions-from-2010-tour-de-france_172784

Peace

I think so.
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

for now ... his court case was postponed till a week after this years tour ...
  • Options
    only 1 individual TT and it's on the penultimate day ... stage 2 is a team TT ...
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    since you guys picked it up again, I changed the title.

I'll be watching, but I'm behind. when's it start? who's NOT banned? :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    since you guys picked it up again, I changed the title.

I'll be watching, but I'm behind. when's it start? who's NOT banned? :lol:

:lol:

starts saturday ... no prologue this year ... a team TT on stage 2 and individual TT in the penultimate stage ... they are saying it's a mountains tour with the first part of it flat but in an area known for strong winds and changing weather ...

menchov is the only big name not in this year's race because he signed with a team not invited along with sastre ...

expect to see some fireworks from week 2 onwards ...