Options

OFFICIAL 2021 Tour de France thread

Comments

• Options
    Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    Glad they are finally in the Mt's. PL quote of the day " If Sylvian Chavennel doesn't have hearing problems he will after this stage, with all these people yelling in his ear on this climb" :lol:
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,500
    Pats54 wrote:
    PL quote of the day " If Sylvian Chavennel doesn't have hearing problems he will after this stage, with all these people yelling in his ear on this climb" :lol:
    and paul said tomorrow will see the "first pedal strokes turned in anger." :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:
    PL quote of the day " If Sylvian Chavennel doesn't have hearing problems he will after this stage, with all these people yelling in his ear on this climb" :lol:
    and paul said tomorrow will see the "first pedal strokes turned in anger." :lol:

From one of the "Heads of State"
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:

From one of the "Heads of State"
    goes without saying!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    LA is cooked. Levi now team leader of RS?
  • Options
    Another f'n crash for LA
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    damn! lance got worked today!
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    damn! lance got worked today!

3 crashes in one stage, that was strange. Don't think he had that many in the 7 he won. What a crazy day for him. Go Levi
  • Options
    gonna be interesting to see how lance adapts to his new role as domestique :shock: . I'm thinking he should have been satisfied with last year's result. radio shack has got to be majorly bummed....they're probably on the ledge :lol: . Since levi has about the same dull personality as lance, but without the aura, I'm jumping on the andy schleck train. :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Go Cadel!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    great stage yesterday ... especially brilliant ride by andy shleck - didn't do any work up at the front and just rode behind everyone including s. sanchez ... lance never had a shot at this tour - he has cracked all year on the long climbs ... making excuses on the crash is just lance being lance ...

gotta give props to the canuck who held more than his own and is still 6th in GC!! ... go Ryder!

still like contador to win but andy should be there ... wide open for 3rd i think ... i don't see cadel keeping up in the pyrenees ...
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Last night my husband and I wondered if Lance would now drop out. But he says he is staying in the help the team. Maybe he can redeem himself (at least a little) in my eyes if he actually stays in and works for Levi. Although I don't think Levi can do it. In the past I have been a fan of Levi and Chris Horner, but after last year's debacle with Lance and Levi bad mouthing Contador all of the time I became much less of a fan. I think Contador handled himself so much better than they did, and he has continued to earn my respect this year. So I like Contador and Andy Schleck and Cadel. Now I'm rambling. I guess I don't have a favorite. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the race.

AND I have to add that I always enjoy seeing Vino ride, although he bonked a bit in the mountains yesterday.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    Last night my husband and I wondered if Lance would now drop out. But he says he is staying in the help the team. Maybe he can redeem himself (at least a little) in my eyes if he actually stays in and works for Levi. Although I don't think Levi can do it. In the past I have been a fan of Levi and Chris Horner, but after last year's debacle with Lance and Levi bad mouthing Contador all of the time I became much less of a fan. I think Contador handled himself so much better than they did, and he has continued to earn my respect this year. So I like Contador and Andy Schleck and Cadel. Now I'm rambling. I guess I don't have a favorite. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the race.

AND I have to add that I always enjoy seeing Vino ride, although he bonked a bit in the mountains yesterday.

i really don't think he has the fitness to help levi ... i don't see levi keeping up on the bigger climbs especially the ones tomorrow ... if anyone is gonna protect levi it will be andreas kloden ...

in any case - it will be interesting to see how lance does in the ironman series ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

i really don't think he has the fitness to help levi ... i don't see levi keeping up on the bigger climbs especially the ones tomorrow ... if anyone is gonna protect levi it will be andreas kloden ...

in any case - it will be interesting to see how lance does in the ironman series ...

Yes, your are right. LA probably doesn't have the fitness to help too much. Do you think he may try for a stage win?

I bet Lance will do well in an Ironman. Age is much less of a factor it seems in those events. The only thing - he can't hire a team to pull him along on the bike! :lol: - like in Leadville last year.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    Side note: Over the weekend we were in St. Louis celebrating my husband's birthday. We went down to the sports bar in the hotel to catch one of the replays of the end of the stage before going out for the evening. We had to ask the manager to change the channel to find versus for us. The couple next to us at the bar said "we've never seen anyone want to watch cycling on tv." The bartender was shocked too. The next day we came in he remembered us as the bike people. Ha!
  • Options
    Yes, your are right. LA probably doesn't have the fitness to help too much. Do you think he may try for a stage win?

I bet Lance will do well in an Ironman. Age is much less of a factor it seems in those events. The only thing - he can't hire a team to pull him along on the bike! :lol: - like in Leadville last year.

i predict either one of two things with lance:

1. cites injury and pulls out before the pyrenees
    2. report comes out of his doping - he pulls out

i don't see him being satisfied with rolling in with the other domestiques on the tough climb days ... also, don't see him deciding to break away on a flattish stage to rehash some long lost glory ... but that's just me ...

i think lance will be surprised how fast the top-end ironman athletes can ride a bike ... it'll be interesting to see if he can run a sub-3 hr marathon after a swim and a long bike ride like the top end guys can in hawaii
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

Kloden has not looked too good so far. I don't think that this team is really that strong. Horner, Lance, Klodin and Levi are all pretty old pushing mid to late 30's. Nothing like those old postal teams with GH, Eki Et al. Levi will have some pressure tomorrow.
  • Options
    Rest Days suck!!
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:

Kloden has not looked too good so far. I don't think that this team is really that strong. Horner, Lance, Klodin and Levi are all pretty old pushing mid to late 30's. Nothing like those old postal teams with GH, Eki Et al. Levi will have some pressure tomorrow.
    yep, it's a good team....but an old team. kinda reminds me of the teams my SF Giants put around Bonds....and they didn't win shit!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:

kloden is actually looking a lot like kloden ... steady ... he lost major minutes the other day because of food poisoning but bounced back pretty decent yesterday ... he'll be with levi and will help drag him up the mtns but i don't see how he won't be dropped ... we're talking 10% grades tomorrow ... if there wasn't the stage to the tourmalet, tomorrow would probably be the hardest stage ...
  • Options
    Here is a link that shows better footage of LA's crash the other. A couple guys on the side of the road were filming. Painful

http://www.versus.com/blogs/wheel-sucki ... of-an-era/
  • Options
    gonna be some damage today ... i heard evans just got dropped ...

anyone know if tdf is streaming anywhere? ... can't get to a tv today ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    gonna be some damage today ... i heard evans just got dropped ...

anyone know if tdf is streaming anywhere? ... can't get to a tv today ...

Evans lost big time

http://velonews.competitor.com/live
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:

wow ... devastation!! ... gotta love andy shleck attacking the lead group ... hahaha ...

it's a two-horse race ... AC will only get better - he's gonna peak in the pyrenees ... shleck needs at least 2 mins i think on AC on the time trial ... but he'll be wearing yellow for a at least a 5 days ...
  • Options
    Hincapie just tweeted that Cadel has a fractured arm and that's why he struggled.
  • Options
    This is Cadel's tweet:

"Is it Fine Young Cannibals that sing "human beings are unreliable things"? Thanks to everyone who supported me today, even if I sucked :o( "

I feel bad for him.
  • Options
    This is Cadel's tweet:

"Is it Fine Young Cannibals that sing "human beings are unreliable things"? Thanks to everyone who supported me today, even if I sucked :o( "

I feel bad for him.

I really like him. However, he is not in the same class with AS or AC. I really don't think he would have been able to hang with those two today. Looks like Jens put in some monster turns today. Can't wait to watch this evening.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    This is Cadel's tweet:

I feel bad for him.

I really like him. However, he is not in the same class with AS or AC. I really don't think he would have been able to hang with those two today. Looks like Jens put in some monster turns today. Can't wait to watch this evening.

agreed ... he has never been able to keep up with the main climbers and today was no different - he was gonna lose yellow today regardless ... i watched a bit of it and what boggles me is he had his BMC guys push the peleton pace - the only person he cracked was himself ... and then he had no one to help him ...

was hoping for some more contenders to be in the mix but it looks like it's shleck and contador to decide this year's winner ...
  • Options
    Ireally like him. However, he is not in the same class with AS or AC. I really don't think he would have been able to hang with those two today. Looks like Jens put in some monster turns today. Can't wait to watch this evening.[/quote]

agreed ... he has never been able to keep up with the main climbers and today was no different - he was gonna lose yellow today regardless ... i watched a bit of it and what boggles me is he had his BMC guys push the peleton pace - the only person he cracked was himself ... and then he had no one to help him ...

was hoping for some more contenders to be in the mix but it looks like it's shleck and contador to decide this year's winner ...[/quote]

I bet LA would be a little closer if not for those crashes and prob on pace for a podium finish. At this point in his career no longer in the same class as the pure climber's. From what I was reading BMC was pushing a monster pace. Looks like Astana's team so far has been the strongest as AC has been surrounded by his team for good parts of the climbs. Levi not in the same class as those guys either.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    I bet LA would be a little closer if not for those crashes and prob on pace for a podium finish. At this point in his career no longer in the same class as the pure climber's. From what I was reading BMC was pushing a monster pace. Looks like Astana's team so far has been the strongest as AC has been surrounded by his team for good parts of the climbs. Levi not in the same class as those guys either.

i don't think so ... LA is gonna get dropped on all the big climbs ... he didn't even finish with LEVI or Menchov - no way he was gonna make the podium this year ...

yeah - BMC was pushing a ridiculous pace - they essentially broke their own leader ... Astana has been strange - Navarro is the only guy really protecting AC ... Vino has been riding on his own it seems ... the guy attempted foolishly to bridge the gap today only to blow up and fall further back ... strange tactics indeed ... Rabonbank look strong with menchov and gesink both up there in GC standings ...