Options

OFFICIAL 2021 Tour de France thread

Comments

• Options
    Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    polaris_x wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:
    I bet LA would be a little closer if not for those crashes and prob on pace for a podium finish. At this point in his career no longer in the same class as the pure climber's. From what I was reading BMC was pushing a monster pace. Looks like Astana's team so far has been the strongest as AC has been surrounded by his team for good parts of the climbs. Levi not in the same class as those guys either.

i don't think so ... LA is gonna get dropped on all the big climbs ... he didn't even finish with LEVI or Menchov - no way he was gonna make the podium this year ...

yeah - BMC was pushing a ridiculous pace - they essentially broke their own leader ... Astana has been strange - Navarro is the only guy really protecting AC ... Vino has been riding on his own it seems ... the guy attempted foolishly to bridge the gap today only to blow up and fall further back ... strange tactics indeed ... Rabonbank look strong with menchov and gesink both up there in GC standings ...

Just meant that crash on his back yesterday prob took a lot out of him. I can't even imagine how that feels at that speed, especially the day after. Even though he got dropped he finished pretty high all things considered. Think he would have been better w/o that nasty crash, still not in the league with the climbers. I am waiting for Vino to say screw you and just take off. He is riding really strange almost like he is a team of one.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Pats54 wrote:
    Just meant that crash on his back yesterday prob took a lot out of him. I can't even imagine how that feels at that speed, especially the day after. Even though he got dropped he finished pretty high all things considered. Think he would have been better w/o that nasty crash, still not in the league with the climbers. I am waiting for Vino to say screw you and just take off. He is riding really strange almost like he is a team of one.

oh yeah ... for sure he's not gonna lose 12 mins on Sunday if he doesn't crash ... either way - he was never gonna be on the podium - he would have been solid to finish in the top 10 ...

not sure what that Vino guy is doing ... seeing as he is the main kazahk on a kazahk team - i'm sure they just said, do whatever the heck you want ... hahaha ... of note tho is that when shleck and contador caught up to guitterez today ... guitterez gave contador a drink even tho they are on opposite teams ... a little spanish loyalty at play ...
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    polaris_x wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:

oh yeah ... for sure he's not gonna lose 12 mins on Sunday if he doesn't crash ... either way - he was never gonna be on the podium - he would have been solid to finish in the top 10 ...

not sure what that Vino guy is doing ... seeing as he is the main kazahk on a kazahk team - i'm sure they just said, do whatever the heck you want ... hahaha ... of note tho is that when shleck and contador caught up to guitterez today ... guitterez gave contador a drink even tho they are on opposite teams ... a little spanish loyalty at play ...

Vino has always been a wild card. That is what makes him so much fun to watch.

Did I hear Phil say that Andy turned down a drink? I will try to pay attention tonight, but Guitterez may have offered it to Andy as well.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options

Did I hear Phil say that Andy turned down a drink? I will try to pay attention tonight, but Guitterez may have offered it to Andy as well.

ahhh ... i was only reading the flashes on letour.fr at the time ... i have to find a tv at work to watch the finishes ... :mrgreen:

can't wait until they hit the pyrenees ... will be a massacre i believe ... 8-)
  • Options
    God does craig hummer drive me crazy
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

ahhh ... i was only reading the flashes on letour.fr at the time ... i have to find a tv at work to watch the finishes ... :mrgreen:

can't wait until they hit the pyrenees ... will be a massacre i believe ... 8-)

AC will fly in the pyrenees
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    phil - (paraphrasing) "you can almost feel the pain coming through your television set" :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Poor Cadel :(

Brave effort though :)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Poor Cadel :(

Brave effort though :)

Class guy all the way around.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    phil - (paraphrasing) "you can almost feel the pain coming through your television set" :lol:

You hear Schleck after the stage " If I had attacked AC one more time I would have dropped myself". They had a shot of him right after and he was cooked.
  • Options
    phil, after paul noted a union jack was upside down (distress signal): "Probably for poor David Millar" :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    good to see they let an escape group finish today ... some sprinter stages coming up ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    good to see they let an escape group finish today ... some sprinter stages coming up ...
    per phil, the one dude "made an absolute mess of it" at the end. Harsh, Phil, harsh. :problem:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    A little head buttin' going on, a little blocking the line, exciting though.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    A little head buttin' going on, a little blocking the line, exciting though.

yeah ... didn't like to see renshaw cut farrar off there but the best he could of hoped for was second today ... the renshaw --> cavendish tandem looks unbeatable ...

pretty slow stage today considering it was mostly downhill ... good chance for breakaway to stay clear tomorrow ...
  • Options
    Big news! "Renshaw booted from the tour."
  • Options

WHAT!?????????? ... serious!??

edit: wow ... i guess it's true ... seems a bit harsh - i didn't mind the head butt into dean but the cutting off of farrar was unacceptable ... didn't think they would kick him out of the race tho ...
  • Options
    According to Velo News he was booted for the head butting.
  • Options
    yeah ... i've seen it before in racing ...

wonder how cavendish will do without his lead out guy!?
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    yeah ... i've seen it before in racing ...

wonder how cavendish will do without his lead out guy!?

Despite Cav's win I bet there are a lot of long faces on the HTC-Columbia bus.
  • Options
    Despite Cav's win I bet there are a lot of long faces on the HTC-Columbia bus.

they interviewed him after the race and he was saying that he's got a reputation of being one of the cleanest sprinters out there and that he would never try and affect a sprint ... guess his rep wasn't worth much ...
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

What! It was only just a bit of Trans-Tasman rivalry.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    great stage today ... too bad the canuck couldn't hold on but there are some parts of that climb that are 11% ... ridiculous ... shleck couldn't keep up with AC ... pace was fast today ... didn't have enuf legs ... lots of time gaps today but not huge ...

it's only gonna get better ... :)
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    great stage today ... too bad the canuck couldn't hold on but there are some parts of that climb that are 11% ... ridiculous ... shleck couldn't keep up with AC ... pace was fast today ... didn't have enuf legs ... lots of time gaps today but not huge ...

it's only gonna get better ... :)

Too bad Andy couldn't hang with AC. Only going to get worse for him in the coming days.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    Too bad Andy couldn't hang with AC. Only going to get worse for him in the coming days.

he was quoted as saying that he expected to lose time today as he hates this climb (on his "black list") ... i honestly can't wait for the destruction that's gonna happen in the pyrenees! ...
  • Options
    I was rooting for Ryder. He did a good job. At the end I was hoping that Vino would take the stage. I know that lots of people hate Vino, I can't help but like him. As far as the doping goes, I think most of them were doing it, and he paid his dues. I give him credit for coming back.

Today Phil said he was for sure riding clean now! I did have to smile cynically at that one. I hope the pelaton is now cleaner, but I wouldn't bet a lot of money on it.
  • Options

that was some crazy shit! i've never seen anything like it :shock:

didn't read about today....haven't seen it yet and didn't want to spoil the suspense. :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:

he was quoted as saying that he expected to lose time today as he hates this climb (on his "black list") ... i honestly can't wait for the destruction that's gonna happen in the pyrenees! ...

Stage 16 is going to be a bitch especially after a few days in the pyrenees.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

that was some crazy shit! i've never seen anything like it :shock:

didn't read about today....haven't seen it yet and didn't want to spoil the suspense. :mrgreen:

That was crazy. Saw the replay last night pretty obvious.
  • Options
    I was rooting for Ryder. He did a good job. At the end I was hoping that Vino would take the stage. I know that lots of people hate Vino, I can't help but like him. As far as the doping goes, I think most of them were doing it, and he paid his dues. I give him credit for coming back.

Today Phil said he was for sure riding clean now! I did have to smile cynically at that one. I hope the pelaton is now cleaner, but I wouldn't bet a lot of money on it.

Just waiting for Vino to say screw it and go for a win.