Options

OFFICIAL 2021 Tour de France thread

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    I hope andy doesn't become to alberto what jan became to lance....a supremely gifted bike rider in the shadow of the one and only more dominant rider in the world. right now, they are head and shoulders above the field but andy will lose in the TT (or so the experts say) :cry:

on another note: phil....i love you man, but lance would NOT "be near the podium if not for his crashes and bad luck."
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    imalive wrote:
    I hope andy doesn't become to alberto what jan became to lance....a supremely gifted bike rider in the shadow of the one and only more dominant rider in the world. right now, they are head and shoulders above the field but andy will lose in the TT (or so the experts say) :cry:

on another note: phil....i love you man, but lance would NOT "be near the podium if not for his crashes and bad luck."

TT could be interesting as anything can happen (mechanical, dehydrated as LA did a few yrs ago). Although AC is better according to the expert. Would have been intersting to see how Andy would have done had Frank been there with him.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Pats54 wrote:
    TT could be interesting as anything can happen (mechanical, dehydrated as LA did a few yrs ago). Although AC is better according to the expert. Would have been intersting to see how Andy would have done had Frank been there with him.

yeah ... it would be a completely different race with frank there ... they would have attacked alberto into submission i think ...

i think andy should ride a pretty good TT although his prologue was pretty shitty ... we'll see i suppose ...

back to yesterday tho - i love the time gaps and how pretty much all the top riders were coming in on their own and not in some semi-large group of 5 or 6 guys pacing each other up ... balls to the wall yesterday for sure ...

gonna go out on a limb today and say julian dean wins the sprint!! ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:

yeah ... it would be a completely different race with frank there ... they would have attacked alberto into submission i think ...

i think andy should ride a pretty good TT although his prologue was pretty shitty ... we'll see i suppose ...

back to yesterday tho - i love the time gaps and how pretty much all the top riders were coming in on their own and not in some semi-large group of 5 or 6 guys pacing each other up ... balls to the wall yesterday for sure ...

gonna go out on a limb today and say julian dean wins the sprint!! ...

Yes his prologue was pretty bad. I am hoping that is only because the distance is so short not properly warmed up etc. etc.. Hopefully on a longer ride he can get into a groove more and just hammer out a great time and make things interesting.

Wish there had been a couple more stages like yesterday. Tourmalet is a friggin beast of a climb. Crazy fans on that climb as well, especially those half naked guys WTF. Big temp. contrast from the last two weeks probably had an impact on some fo those riders. Interesting that Horner climbed into the top 10 especially sonce all of the talk has been Levi.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    Yes his prologue was pretty bad. I am hoping that is only because the distance is so short not properly warmed up etc. etc.. Hopefully on a longer ride he can get into a groove more and just hammer out a great time and make things interesting.

Wish there had been a couple more stages like yesterday. Tourmalet is a friggin beast of a climb. Crazy fans on that climb as well, especially those half naked guys WTF. Big temp. contrast from the last two weeks probably had an impact on some fo those riders. Interesting that Horner climbed into the top 10 especially sonce all of the talk has been Levi.

the prologue was quite curvy i understand which meant the guys who took the most chances on the turns were rewarded ...

yeah ... i was wondering how the heck someone could attack as there was only space for single file at some points ... but that is pretty awesome ... i know fans have gotten in the way before but let's hope it continues to stay this fanatic without impeding the race ... if i was a cyclist - i would love it! ... horner has been solid all race ... i didn't think levi could keep up with the big boys on the big stages and yesterday was a bad day for him to not have some legs ... i'm wondering if he didn't do something proper on his rest day (i hear some guys rode indoors instead of outdoors) ...
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Todays stage they all look like they're having a spin in the country. No doubt it will hot up at the finish. Only 3 stages after today and it's over for another year. :(
  • Options
    On a different note. Why the hell is our Govt. investigating doping in cycling, LA et al. With all of the issues we have going on in the country seems like a waste of time & $$'s to rehash these issues. Let it go and move on.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    On a different note. Why the hell is our Govt. investigating doping in cycling, LA et al. With all of the issues we have going on in the country seems like a waste of time & $$'s to rehash these issues. Let it go and move on.

because steroid use is illegal ... the varying degrees differs from state to state country to country ... in most states ... it's illegal to use steroids without a medical conditioning requiring it ... mainly because of the side effects steroids have ... traffiking of steroids is also illegal ...

so ... they are investigating because of the illegal usage of steroids ... hence why marion jones had to do time ...

having said all that - i do think there are many things that take precedent however, a law is useless without enforcement ...
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    Yep, it's a bit like jumping on a bus at the final stop. The governing bodies have been there and done it, leave it to them. You can guarantee there are a few guys out there now that are using but nobody has detected it yet. No doubt there'll be more revelations in the next year or so.
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    i guess the same reason they've spent $50M and 7 years trying (pitifully) to put a case together against Barry Bonds :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    "these are desperate times!" :lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    wow ... like a stroll in the park for cavendish ... like a missle ... my guy Dean finished second tho!! ... woohoo!
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    wow ... like a stroll in the park for cavendish ... like a missle ... my guy Dean finished second tho!! ... woohoo!

He so fast when he is on.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    "these are desperate times!" :lol::lol:

Just seems like such a joke. They go hard after stuff like this and hard core crimes the punishment is light.
  • Options
    Well done Cavendish a brilliant sprint the end. He must have thighs that could crush a coconut.
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    Well done Cavendish a brilliant sprint the end. He must have thighs that could crush a coconut.
    he is a bad ass mofo! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    he is a bad ass mofo! :mrgreen:

Even minus his lead out train he is still a beast.
  • Options
    "unfortunately, tyler farrar is no longer with us" :shock: :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    Pats54 wrote:

And LA has never tested positive.

So Cav won today. I hope Fabian wins the TT.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    Fabian is the Eddie Vedder of cycling. :thumbup:

Yes he is.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    Nobody beat Fabian in a TT!

But damn you Contador. I wanted to see Schlek take this tour.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    from andy schleck twitter:

looks like I finish again 2!well I'm pretty happy with my tour thanks4 all the support I got last weeks was amazing I be back4yellow!
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I like Andy Schleck, but I think I was for Contador. I'm still not sure about him and I think he made the wrong decision on "chaingate" but I feel sort of sorry for him. He had to go through hell last year when Lance went to war against him. Then he got a lot of shit about chaingate. He is sort of shy and reserved so people don't take to him like they do Andy. That being said I would not have been upset if Andy would have won, but I like Alberto too.

Fabian is the man!!! And what a man!!!!

I am also happy about Ryder's performance. The best placing North American this tour. He did a great job.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    I am also happy about Ryder's performance. The best placing North American this tour. He did a great job.

yess!! ... crazy cross-wind for the last riders today ... well done Ryder - 7th in the GC!

i find it absolutely crazy that Contador ends up winning by 31 seconds ... the exact same time Shleck had on AC before chaingate! ... in the end tho - i think Contador deserved it ...

if Shleck hadn't attacked yellow and AC on the crashes and punctures of the cobblestones - he wouldn't have had the chance to win ... it's clear they are equals on the mtns so it had to come down to the TT and AC beat Shleck in both the prologue and TT today so well earned winner ...

friend of mine says Cancellara can hold 600 w for over an hour ... he destroyed that TT today!!

edit: oh yeah ... great ride by menchov today also to claim a podium finish!
  • Options
    doesn't the fact that the final winning margin was < 1 minute make chaingate all the more relevant? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    doesn't the fact that the final winning margin was < 1 minute make chaingate all the more relevant? :?

Yes, I am convinced that Schlek would be at #1 and Contador #2 if not for chaingate. :problem:

On another note Fabian is a Force of Nature!
  • Options
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Yes, I am convinced that Schlek would be at #1 and Contador #2 if not for chaingate. :problem:

On another note Fabian is a Force of Nature!

but shleck attacked yellow when he had a mechanical ... and contador flatted on that stage too ... i have said that AC should have waited that day but if we are gonna judge - we should look at the entire race also ... like andy has been saying ... the loss of his brother was key to him not winning this year ... he's clearly not too distraught about chaingate and it's probably because of the reason i mentioned ...

they were equal in the mtns but andy couldn't keep up in the TT's

either way - great race ... can't wait for next year ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

absolutely...can't wait :mrgreen:
    i'm not much of a "gun guy" and i find AC's finger shoot to be in kind of questionable taste. maybe i'm just too sensitive (something i've never been accused of) :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    i'm not much of a "gun guy" and i find AC's finger shoot to be in kind of questionable taste. maybe i'm just too sensitive (something i've never been accused of) :lol:

ditto ... not a gun guy either ...

on another note - it was funny to see contador and shleck having some fun yesterday early on ...
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Me too, can't wait for next year, it seems a bit boring now with it's finished. The commentators were saying that they felt AC wasn't at his best this year but he still won. So we'll have to wait and see what happens next year.

The TV footage yesterday at the finish was outstanding. There we were watching these 2 guys battling it out and the Cavendish exocet flew past. Best bit of footage the whole tour.

The Tour of Spain is August 28. Think I'll give that a viewing.