Options

*** London Fanviews Here 6/25/10 ***

Comments

• Options
    theserialthrillatheserialthrilla Posts: 15,760
    pdalowsky wrote:
    There seems to be much comment on the crowds behaviour here, which i fully understand. I was front stone side, and really enjoyed it, it was a little hectic, rammed in, and squashed but then again i fully expect that. Its a general admission rock show, anyone expecting to get their spot and not move really needs a reality check.

Of course there are always the tits that go over the top and ruin the experience for those around them but where we were the security did a wonderful job of sorting those idiots out. They were superb at helping out those struggling and picking out morons for ejection.

Some people baffle me though, I stood in the vacinity of a couple who always go early to grab the rail, stone side, they were ther in dublin and belfast too, and Berlin, manchester london etc last year too. Always in the same spot. They dont seem to enjoy the shows at all. Never move, never sing, never smile, and seem totally preoccupied at having a go at anyone behind them who nudges them accidently or is pushed into their backs. The guy started the show warning a guy next to me to make sure he doesnt touch his wife, and to stay back. I have seen him do this at every show I have seen him at. He's just not getting it, Now I understand there is no need for some of the crowd behaviour we suffer, but what this guy experienced was nothing but a little ruffling at a rock show.....but he spent the entire 3 gigs i saw him at going balistic at security about people pushing from behind. I mean honestly what do you expect when you are on the barrier? It blew my mind, and it culminated with him being dragged out by security at london because he copuldnt control himself. For a guy in his 40's at least he behaved like a fool.....trying to square up to security as they pulled him out and rejecting their intervention. Then his wife followed.....strange and i think i dont understand this guy more in that he does this every show, its not like its his first show and its a surprise...no he constantly makes the deicsion to wait all day to get the rail and spend the whole performance going ape at those around him...

bizarre, and the only negative experience i saw invol;ving a tenclubbers, whom generally blew me away yet again as tio their friendliness, diversity and banter......

i saw this as well.we must of been close to each other ;) .bloke was so out of order..i thought who does he think he is...arms thrown around pointing at the security like it was there fault.red faced with angry..he acted like a teenager..
    glad not all 10c are like this chap
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    was "Brain Damage" played in full? or was it just a tease like the EV solo shows?
  • Options
    fisttothejawfisttothejaw Posts: 230
    Man, I'd kill to hear that Unthought Known-Nothingman combo...
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    evoevo Airdrie, Scotland Posts: 185
    Alive 79 wrote:
    I don't understand why people who have a problem with rowdy crowds, bother trying to get to the front! If you can't handle it, stay back and watch where you feel safe.

well said :clap::clap:
    Hail Hail
  • Options
    after 3 days evaluating yeah it was a little irresponsible for my pregnant mrs being 2 rows from the front. looking back i did enjoy the day, i fell in love with robert francis and purchased his 2 albums straight away. never been a big fan of the hives but their show was immense. ben harper bored me with his prolonged going nowhere jams and the gaslight never disappoint. i honestly can't wait for the boot.
    Caleb Benjamin Higgs-16th December 2006
    Max Lennon Higgs-22nd October 2010
    My two boys are the light of my life.

check my band/project out at www.soundclick.com/nineyardsleft
  • Options
    Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,990
    Alive 79 wrote:
    I don't understand why people who have a problem with rowdy crowds, bother trying to get to the front! If you can't handle it, stay back and watch where you feel safe.

I think one should see it differently.

I'm sorry, but this gig was a real disappointment. Not because of the band, but because of the crowd.

One shouldn't have to stay back to feel safe. There were some fucking jerks there.

My girlfriend decided to leave because she couldn't stand it anymore. As she said: she saw the moment she'd die (in spite of the help of some Tenclub members who did their best to protect her: thanks guys), I was then forced to leave the crowd too.

The question isn’t: “should we leave and find a safe place?” but “is it normal to tolerate such a behavior?”

Because, that’s exactly the point: those who stand there peacefully seem to be the bad ones and those who get there drunk and who act like assholes seem to be the good ones.
  • Options
    AdrianHAdrianH Posts: 1
    Was there with my 15 year old daughter we both had a great time, thought it was a great show, we both saw idiots throwing plastic bottles, seems to be the in thing at shows these days :roll:

But that aside we both can't wait for another chance to see PJ :D
  • Options
    diamond_marmaladediamond_marmalade Posts: 419
    edited June 2010
    Fourth show but not up with the previous three but hey it's a Pearl Jam show so it was still an AMAZING night. I was stood way back on the left as my friend didn't really want to be in the mob. We had a bit of a bad experience with Manchester last year and I think the sheer size of the crowd made her a little nervous. I went nuts in Dublin so I didn't mind hanging back for this show. Only problem was that there no atmosphere where we were and there was a lot lot of tossers throwing bottles(Why?) I agree with an earlier post that said you just do not get the excitement or interaction been further back. I made the best of it by singing along to the majority of songs (My friend told me after I was getting some strange looks :lol:) but I couldn't believe it when there were people walking around and disinterested during 'Black'. Still a great night but I think I will avoid PJ festival appearances from now on unless it is the only shows they are doing. Arena shows would be great next time and I would love to travel up to Scotland to see them.

I would also like to add this about a certain legend on this board. My friend and I went to the Old Explorer the night before just to see what was happening and found it faily quiet except for a few fans milling around outside. We got drinks and went outside for a couple of smokes. We weren't in Pearl Jam colours but we got talking about PJ as you do. I knew we were surrounded by the hardcore fans cos of the wristbands from the previous two shows. Anyways a guy approaches who I thought might have been Dimi and out of nowhere handed us Euro Tour badges. I asked if it was him and he confirmed it was. We thanked him for badges and I mentioned I was 'Tour Horney' and he smiled and we talked PJ for a bit. You could see he was tired from shows/travelling but he made the effort and he was a true gent. I think my friend who thinks I'm nuts been so obsessive about this band probably understands now that it's not just the music but the fans also that makes this band so special.

Roll on the next tour. Long live PJ. Thanks Dimi.
    Post edited by diamond_marmalade on
    2007 London
    2009 Manchester
    2010 Dublin / London
    2012 Manchester I & II / Berlin I & II / EV: Manchester
    2014 Amsterdam I & II / Vienna / Berlin / Leeds
  • Options
    kristmacekristmace Posts: 212
    redrock wrote:

Cool, thanks!!

Stupid question, but whats PIL in the encore? Surely not Pilate!?
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Astoria; Dublin; Leeds
    2007: Wembley; Nijmegen
    2008: New York I & II
    2009: Shepherds Bush; Manchester; London
    2010: Hyde Park
    2012: Manchester I & II; EV London I & II
    2014: Stockholm; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2017: EV Dublin
    2018: London II
    2019: EV London

• Options
    I would also like to add this about a certain legend on this board. My friend and I went to the Old Explorer the night before just to see what was happening and found it faily quiet except for a few fans milling around outside. We got drinks and went outside for a coule of smokes. We weren't in Pearl Jam colours but we got talking about PJ as you do. I knew we were surrounded by the hardcore fans cos of the wristbands from the previous two shows. Anyways a guy approaches who I thought might have been Dimi and out of nowwhere handed us Euro Tour badges. I asked if it was him and he confirmed it was. We thanked him for badges and I mentioned I was 'Tour Horney' and he smiled and we talked PJ for a bit. You could see he was tired from shows/travelling but he made the effort and he was a true gent. I think my friend who thinks I'm nuts been so obsessive about this band probably understands now that it's not just the music but the fans also that makes this band so special.

Roll on the next tour. Long live PJ. Thanks Dimi.

Yep! I can say that even though we were few people at the re-party, it was cool seing 10C members and having a chat with you guy. ;)

Thanks for the sticker Leanne. Sorry we had to leave so early and you arrived that late. :(
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Back from a hot sticky weekend in Londinium, it was a flipping hot day and we'd already been to Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar square before we made it to Hyde Park. Then my phone ran out of charge and couldn't contact anyone, but hey ho never mind.

We arranged our picnic blanket in a nice spot on the grass, had a drink and some nibbles, listened to the end of Gaslight Anthem, met the friend we were staying with, listened to The Hives, bumped into some other people from our home town, listened to Ben Harper (which I really enjoyed) then packed up our stuff and made our way towards a slightly closer spot to the stage. We went over to the left hand side of the stage about 10 foot from the little platform that was at the end of the walkway along the side. More and more people kept crowding in so my hubby said that he would take my son further out as he didn't like the crowd much, still more and more people kept coming, my friend nearly had a bit of a scrap with a girl of about 18 who was only about 5 foot who was pushing her way to the front (as many people were). At that point I decided I would move back too as at 5ft 4in I couldn't see a bloody thing and was feeling slightly claustrophobic. So I moved a bit further out.

Then PJ started!!!! I'm was particularly desiring any set songs, so I enjoyed everything they played. I did shout out for Nothing as it Seems, but to be honest I was just happy I was there. By this time I had lost my friend and was on my own, hubby managed to get back for a brief period, but then went to check on our son again. Three times I nearly cried, Nothingman, Just Breathe and Black. Fortunately for me there was a man standing just in front of me who seemed to be just as into it as I was, I got a hug at the right moments (if you're on the board man wearing a vest and green baseball cap - thank you).

I think I did get a bit cheesed off at trying to see the stage, so much so that at one point I was jiggling around with my eyes closed and when I briefly opened them I suddenly saw EV was on the little platform right near where I was - bit of a surprise! It was good of Mike to come for a visit down there too.

On the whole good show, PJ did a great performance, the weather was fantastic, the only slight irk was getting buffeted about by the crowd, I probably should have stood further back, chime, if my phone had worked I'd have texted, sounds like you lot had the best idea.

Anyway back after a frantic weekend of touristy activity and completely knackered - I won't mention the state of my feet!

Oh the worst part of the experience was when the friend we were staying with compared PJ to Aerosmith!! OMG - I nearly threw a wobbily!!!
  • Options
    julesandianjulesandian Posts: 487
    Travelled down to London the morning of the show, made our way to Hyde Park, picked up our tickets and headed to the hotel. Bumped into my sister in law and her kids (12, 14, 16) and her boyfriend who had bought tickets as a surprise for her eldest who we had decided that me and my mrs couldn't be responsible for him during the show and overnight on our own, and he has exams etc so all in pretty great and smooth start to the day.

Had lunch in beautiful Hyde Park, until we heard Robert Francis start, then made our way into the venue. Settled down on the right side of the stage roughly level with the end of the seated VIP area as I figured getting any nearer was going to cause problems for the family when Pearl Jam came on.(sounds like I was right)

Didn't like The Gaslight Anthem too much, nothing offensive to me, just kind of Bruce Springsteen Lite I guess, enjoyed The Hives, awesome front man and really liked the freeze frame they did but surely they should have hammered back into the song and rocked the crowd, that from where I was standing, he had eating out of his hands at this point!!!!!! Also when you introduce the band and make a real deal of it shouldn't the lead guitarist at least throw a small solo? Small complaints and had me ready for Pearl Jam.

Now I don't normally enjoy Ben Harper when he in my opinion ruins Indifference so I was not really looking forward to the set very much, but I stand corrected. I thought he was awesome, me and my nephew went insane when he played Red House! My nephew has just started playing slide guitar, and I am officially a Ben Harper and Relentless 7 fan now.

Onto the main attraction:

6th time of seeing them, and although I would take an indoor show over outdoor every time I had a great time, I had my 12 year old neice on my shoulders, and danced for close to 3 and a half hours (inc. Ben Harper) with my family. Great people around us, everyone into the band singing along and dancing. Special nod to the German guys just behind us, who made the day for all of us with their friendliness. Only negative for the day was the occasional people trying to steal our space but once they saw we were a family they moved on quickly.

Really like the new song, thought DTE, Black, Go, Unthought Known, Porch, ands Alive were awesome, Great singing from the crowd and Personal highlight was hearing Nothingman live for the first time.

Big thanks to the band, the 10 club and all who sailed on HMS HRC!!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    Bit late on this one, thought the band were great , ed was clearly concerned about people getting injured was a shame there were so many dickheads that seemed to be there just to get completely wasted and cause problems for the people who were just happy to see PJ.

Anyway, I dont wanna be too negative, was great to meet some peeps at the pre-party, Mista Trillla, the D,Hub, Hinn, Claudio and his good lady and the very nice lady who gave me some badges and the lady from Germany.

Crap at remembering names (its me age, you know :? ) so apologies to anyone I forgot (I blame the beer).

Highlights: w/w suicide, N/man, Not For You (Stone kicking ass), Red Mosquito ( Mental Solos), Go, Of the Earth, and Black. Yes Ed we did notice you as you put it ' fucked up during Just Breath (hey he's human).

Thought all the support bands I saw were good ( missed Rob Francis) Ben Harper sounded great, he just did'n't interact with the crowd.

Just hope the experience doesnt put them off playing outdoor shows in this country,

Peace
    shows: Shepherds Bush 110809
    Hyde Park 250610
    Bridge School Benefit 23/241010
    Manchester MEN 210612
    Amsterdam Ziggodome 270612
    Berlin '02' 040712
  • Options
    beeswaxbeeswax Posts: 119
    Alive 79 wrote:

you're ahead, you're a man, you're the first mammal to wear pants, hu? ;-)
    only the fittest are allowed to watch the band playing within a 30m radius? quite sad if thats the case.
    Hub. wrote:
    I think one should see it differently.

One shouldn't have to stay back to feel safe. There were some fucking jerks there.

The question isn’t: “should we leave and find a safe place?” but “is it normal to tolerate such a behavior?”

Because, that’s exactly the point: those who stand there peacefully seem to be the bad ones and those who get there drunk and who act like assholes seem to be the good ones.

thanks. totally agree.

i nearly started to feel being a bad boring person as i just want to have some good clean fun. maybe the definition of fun differs here? anyways, sorry for complaining about rather rude folks in the front. didnt mean to bother anyone.
  • Options
    theserialthrillatheserialthrilla Posts: 15,760
    Bit late on this one, thought the band were great , ed was clearly concerned about people getting injured was a shame there were so many dickheads that seemed to be there just to get completely wasted and cause problems for the people who were just happy to see PJ.

Anyway, I dont wanna be too negative, was great to meet some peeps at the pre-party, Mista Trillla, the D,Hub, Hinn, Claudio and his good lady and the very nice lady who gave me some badges and the lady from Germany.

Crap at remembering names (its me age, you know :? ) so apologies to anyone I forgot (I blame the beer).

Highlights: w/w suicide, N/man, Not For You (Stone kicking ass), Red Mosquito ( Mental Solos), Go, Of the Earth, and Black. Yes Ed we did notice you as you put it ' fucked up during Just Breath (hey he's human).

Thought all the support bands I saw were good ( missed Rob Francis) Ben Harper sounded great, he just did'n't interact with the crowd.

Just hope the experience doesnt put them off playing outdoor shows in this country,

Peace

jeff(that better be right.lol) its thrilla..lol it was good to see you also..

hub glad your back safe ..hope your girlfriends ok..we did what we could but it was hard not being able to move..and paul kept on standing on my foot..ouchhh ;) but it was great spending some time with you before the gig in the park..

claire get a bigger battery i didnt get to see your hubby ...or was that the plan :lol:

i also met redrock and chime at the pre party lovely people..

got to see the living legend dimi..

stood 2nd row behind two lovely german ladies.and by a brother and sister from norwich..really cool people

so all in all i loved my weekend..even the bird shitting on me didnt upset me that much.. :evil:
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    ..even the bird shitting on me didnt upset me that much.. :evil:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    hub glad your back safe ..hope your girlfriends ok..we did what we could but it was hard not being able to move..and paul kept on standing on my foot..ouchhh ;) but it was great spending some time with you before the gig in the park..

Yep! Thanks again! ;)

Françoise is ok, hopefully you were here, but it was too much for her. She did her best to stay as long as she could. Then, she saw the security staff completely overwhelmed and she thought: "Oh My God! I'm gonna die if I stay here".

Anyway: here's some pics before and while they were playing:

img6838r.jpg

img6840k.jpg

img6841c.jpg

img6924i.jpg

img6960.jpg

img6974l.jpg

img6979m.jpg

img6995nv.jpg
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Jennytree wrote:
    i, for one, had a epic night! Couldn't see the stage, could barely hear the music, but I was there with some of the best PJ fans I've gotten to know through the years. There were about 30 of us going crazy in an area where people weren't even moving, it was great fun :)
    My favourite gig experience ever, PJ or whatever. Friends 6 deep in every direction I look, all singing in unison. The arms linking during Black. The Yellow Ledbetter circle.

There was a band on stage? Barely noticed them. Spent more time smiling and laughing with friends. Fuck the rail. Fuck the queue. There's no place I'd rather be.

Thank you friends. Newcastle and Philly 3 can go sit in the corner. Yay HRC 2010!
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    kristmace wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Cool, thanks!!

This is not a stupid question - 'PIL' was also listed on the Belfast setlist but crossed out.

There seems no reason to shorten Pilate to PIL so it seems that it may be an acronym for something else although what exactly I am not sure.
  • Options
    even the bird shitting on me didnt upset me that much.. :evil:

Well you know you shouldn't have had her on your shoulders then it wouldn't have happened!! ;)

The Big Cheese - it's Ray isn't it? I spoke to you at the preparty and I think I called you Roy rather a lot :oops: , so thrilla I don't think it was Jeff (or I could have been calling him the completely wrong name).

Lovely to meet everyone that I met on Thurs night, although it sounds like I missed a few people by leaving early. Great to meet the legend that is D! Redrock - your avatar is a rock!! All this time I really did think it was a red tent - what a bozo :roll:

Thrilla - I would have loved you to meet hubby! Should have checked my phone charge first thing in the morning, either that or shouldn't have taken pictures of Buckingham Palace on it (hubby and son had never seen it).

Anyway roll on the next show that I can attend :D
  • Options
    IdlewildIdlewild London, England Posts: 173
    I don't know who mentioned Woody Harrison was at the show, but thanks for reminding me who he was. I saw him near the bar but could not remember who he was when I saw him
    London Brixton Academy 1993, Wembley Arena (Both Nights) 1996, Wembley Arena 2000, London Astoria 2006, Reading Festival 2006, Verona Italy 2006, London Wembley Arena 2007, Copenhagen Denmark 2007,
    London Shepherds Bush Empire 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena 2009, London O2 Arena 2009
    Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park 2010
    Manchester Arena 1 and 2, Stockholm, Oslo 2012
    Amsterdam 1 and 2, Leeds, Milton Keynes Bowl 2014
    Wrigley Field 1 and 2 2016
    London 1 and 2 2018
    Fenway Park 1 and 2 2018
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    kristmace wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Cool, thanks!!

This is not a stupid question - 'PIL' was also listed on the Belfast setlist but crossed out.

There seems no reason to shorten Pilate to PIL so it seems that it may be an acronym for something else although what exactly I am not sure.

PIL - Public Image Ltd, Ed was spotted on their shows?
  • Options
    to theserialthrilla.....
    me and the mrs were 2 feet away from you guys, she was the girl with the white vespa tee on and sitting on a blue camping fold away stool.

did you stay there allday?
    Caleb Benjamin Higgs-16th December 2006
    Max Lennon Higgs-22nd October 2010
    My two boys are the light of my life.

check my band/project out at www.soundclick.com/nineyardsleft
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited June 2010
    Claireack wrote:
    Redrock - your avatar is a rock!! All this time I really did think it was a red tent - what a bozo :roll:

Thank you!!!!!
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited June 2010
    Hinn wrote:
    Jennytree wrote:
    i, for one, had a epic night! Couldn't see the stage, could barely hear the music, but I was there with some of the best PJ fans I've gotten to know through the years. There were about 30 of us going crazy in an area where people weren't even moving, it was great fun :)
    My favourite gig experience ever, PJ or whatever. Friends 6 deep in every direction I look, all singing in unison. The arms linking during Black. The Yellow Ledbetter circle.

There was a band on stage? Barely noticed them. Spent more time smiling and laughing with friends. Fuck the rail. Fuck the queue. There's no place I'd rather be.

Thank you friends. Newcastle and Philly 3 can go sit in the corner. Yay HRC 2010!

Was a great night. I have seen the videos :oops: :shock: :lol: ... was too dark by Go and YL for videoing though :(

Still can't get over the random guy who broke into the circle to have his picture taken like he was with us :lol:
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Idlewild wrote:
    I don't know who mentioned Woody Harrison was at the show, but thanks for reminding me who he was. I saw him near the bar but could not remember who he was when I saw him

Didn't see him, but saw Joe Absalom (not sure if that's how you spell it). Also saw the guy who plays Dr Carl Kennedy from neighbours on tv yesterday saying he'd been but I'm not sure it was for the Friday, maybe just Sat & Sun.
  • Options
    I have been to many concerts, had to deal with many crowds, but if you stood on the left hand side near the centre this particular night was very bad. You had to be there to understand. Some of us were fighting for their lives. (And I'm not trying to be negative here, but trying to start a fair debate about this.) When you stood there it doesn't matter if you knew how a crowd works or not; you got squashed.

I just wanted to repeat this for all the people who are still insisting that nothing unusual happened and that nothing more than the usual rock show boisterousness took place. If you weren't at the front to the left of the split in the barrier then your opinion is not valid. There was no 'moshing' in the front five or six rows there, because the forward pressure was constant and any kind of movement almost impossible. We're not talking about getting bumped around here, people were in real trouble, no one is making this up. I saw people in tears literally begging me to help them to safety, which I couldn't do because I was trapped as well. I am glad to read that this problem was isolated to one area, but extremely annoyed to read from those who were lucky enough to be elsewhere that 'if you can't handle it you shouldn't be at the front'. You don't know what you're talking about. This was not normal, and no one could have handled it without putting their safety at serious risk.

Anyway, as I said in my earlier post way back, the band were brilliant and I had a great time after I got pulled out (which was the only exit route, because working your way back through the crowd was physically impossible due to the constant forward pressure that wasn't alleviated even when Eddie called for everyone to step back, get it?) and went to the back. Can't wait for the boot to hear Unthought Known and Black again.

Thank you, Pearl Jam, please come again.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there...
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Hinn wrote:
    Jennytree wrote:

Sounds beautiful. You're the rm maestro aintya? I bet you have a lot of PJ friends!

Glad to see the pics - it definitely was real then!!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878