Options

*** London Fanviews Here 6/25/10 ***

Comments

• Options
    this has nothing to do with my experience or the show but last year at the springsteen show the rails at the front went straight along, there was no gap in the middle. so this year when people started getting pushed you were getting squashed into a corner. the reason for the gap in the middle was for the cables and stuff but last year they put rubber mats over them, i should know i was standing on them. i think this is what caused alot of the problems.

who else thinks the hyde park poster is up there with some of the best? i do, shame that design wasn't on a tshirt.

to the guy who said there was no tribute to mj from eddie, i don't think there was but the gaslight came out to thriller!!
    Caleb Benjamin Higgs-16th December 2006
    Max Lennon Higgs-22nd October 2010
    My two boys are the light of my life.

check my band/project out at www.soundclick.com/nineyardsleft
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    this has nothing to do with my experience or the show but last year at the springsteen show the rails at the front went straight along, there was no gap in the middle. so this year when people started getting pushed you were getting squashed into a corner. the reason for the gap in the middle was for the cables and stuff but last year they put rubber mats over them, i should know i was standing on them. i think this is what caused alot of the problems.

who else thinks the hyde park poster is up there with some of the best? i do, shame that design wasn't on a tshirt.

to the guy who said there was no tribute to mj from eddie, i don't think there was but the gaslight came out to thriller!!

Gaslight was pretty solid band...

I think you are partly right about the gap in between. But only partly, I think that it also depends on the band that plays. What I don't get is why they don't have a barrier in between, like in Pinkpop (festival in Holland) for example. You have an innercircle near the stage that is quite safe.
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    holy balls!!! i can't wait to hear brain damage!!!
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051

Yeah that poster has an instant impact on people. I saw it and immediately nicked it for my Avatar! ;)
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    so because we plan on having a family we have to be punished????????????

You're not being punished you just need to take some responsibility. I don't like the festival crowds either, we had the usual "Ten only" crew in front of us that early on talked through a lot of the other songs which spoilt some of the concert for me too but you are going to get that at festivals, not what any of us want but it is a fact and you need to adjust your plans to account for it... end of.
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    doompony wrote:

It's on You Tube, but with a lot of crowd noise and bad singing, I regretted watching it. Checked Alive, and gave myself a headache. If you can wait, something proper will come up.
  • Options
    gecko wrote:
    doompony wrote:

It's on You Tube, but with a lot of crowd noise and bad singing, I regretted watching it. Checked Alive, and gave myself a headache. If you can wait, something proper will come up.

I'll wait!

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    So much negativity! It was a great festival gig. Since there were 45000 people there, it was hot, there was LOTS of drinking, etc. there are more chances of prats, crushing, etc. than at an indoor 12000 gig (where half of these people are actually in seats).

Of course, there were the die hard fans who knew the words to every song, the casual fan who knew sing alongs to the 'big' ones, the new fan (knowing the music but first time live) and the ones who didn't know much about PJ but were there. Since PJ were headlining, I don't think the latter were the majority!

Where I was (about 20 rows down), I had a bit of everything but everyone was absolutely enthusiastic, enjoying the music, jumping around, etc. It was a great gig for most. Whilst recognising some did not have the experience they wished for (whether self inflicted or not), let's not just dwell on this and put a huge damper on the rest. A majority had a great time. Maybe we're not hearing from those because they are continuing the tour and are in Nijmegen!
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    tremors wrote:
    gecko wrote:
    doompony wrote:

I'll wait!

I am waiting for better 'Alive', guys seemed to have fun, Ed chasing Mike, and Boom with hair flying and all.
  • Options
    yeildyeild Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    Hi kids, great gig, the kids incredible , lots of energy. went down from north- west of spain with a joint in my hand!!! hug to all italians in gig. see you soon in spain, next week think?
    Take care. Love you all
    Post edited by yeild on
    nene
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    So much negativity! It was a great festival gig. Since there were 45000 people there, it was hot, there was LOTS of drinking, etc. there are more chances of prats, crushing, etc. than at an indoor 12000 gig (where half of these people are actually in seats).

Of course, there were the die hard fans who knew the words to every song, the casual fan who knew sing alongs to the 'big' ones, the new fan (knowing the music but first time live) and the ones who didn't know much about PJ but were there. Since PJ were headlining, I don't think the latter were the majority!

Where I was (about 20 rows down), I had a bit of everything but everyone was absolutely enthusiastic, enjoying the music, jumping around, etc. It was a great gig for most. Whilst recognising some did not have the experience they wished for (whether self inflicted or not), let's not just dwell on this and put a huge damper on the rest. A majority had a great time. Maybe we're not hearing from those because they are continuing the tour and are in Nijmegen!

Amen.

• Options
    PakaPaka Posts: 471
    tremors wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Amen.

I had a ridiculously good time brother!
    FUCKIN LOVE THE RAMBLING IN FESTIVALS :D
  • Options
    yeildyeild Posts: 3
    tremors wrote:
    Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the people who helped my wife escape from the front of the crowd. She'd consumed a little too much of the red stuff but was adamant that she would be fine and was staying put. Needless to say, got a little rough in there as soon as the guys walked out. Really touched by everyones reaction as I tried to drag her out of there - It was like the parting of the Red Sea! Read a few posts about people being poorlt behaved at the gig, so thought I'd comment on how cool you all were. Thanks again all, sure the band would be proud of your reaction too.

That's great news. Pearl Jam fans are surely more able to do this than any other set of fans. We've been pretty well drilled

had a really great gig thanks to all, spain
    nene
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    i, for one, had a epic night! Couldn't see the stage, could barely hear the music, but I was there with some of the best PJ fans I've gotten to know through the years. There were about 30 of us going crazy in an area where people weren't even moving, it was great fun :)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    sickofitsickofit Norway Posts: 780
    frick! Can't believe I forgot to say this first yesterday, esp since it's the FANVIEWS thread :roll:

I loved loved loved Of The Earth. Had watched a vdo of it from the dublin show on youtube, so expected it @ Hyde Park too. It's absolute PJ - raw, uplifting & unfaultering. Still have it stuck in my head :D Esp enjoyed the jamming in the middle of the song and Ed's head-shaking on the title words towards the end :P

Other highlights were opening with Given to Fly, not for you, Elderly woman..., black, go (!!!!!!), nothingman & SOLAT. Lukin (speedy gonzalez version) and Soon Forget would have been great.

Also, I think whoever's responsible shd work super-hard to actually stop scalpers & touters. A couple of hrs b4 PJ came on they were offering tix for £30, a couple of hrs b4 that it was at £50. So I'm sure it was abt £10 by 8pm. So, is it any wonder the louts, who have no idea abt the safety levels PJ and their fans strive to create and who were there to ruin it for others got in?
    if I keep holding out,.... will the light shine through?
  • Options
    gecko wrote:
    gecko wrote:
    doompony wrote:

I'll wait!

I am waiting for better 'Alive', guys seemed to have fun, Ed chasing Mike, and Boom with hair flying and all.

Try Redux or MSG1! (that's not monosodiumglutamate by the way!)

• Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    minor whinge, not really London-specific 'cos i noticed it at Belfast as well, but... why do people start singing (usually very loudly) the 'do-do-do-do-do-do-do' part in Black as soon as Mike starts his solo!? :wtf:

where we were standing in London the do-doers were so loud that at times i could barely hear Mike's solo!
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    pilgrim pcpilgrim pc Posts: 14
    I'm still buzzing from a truly brilliant gig by the guys, i was about 3 rows from the front on Mike's side and i honestly thought the crowd were excellent, i know people push to get down the front and some just barge thru you but i try not to let it affect me, i am a Reading Festival regular and trust me people there are much much worse. Can't wait for the guys to come back. :)
  • Options
    StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
    jrd wrote:
    minor whinge, not really London-specific 'cos i noticed it at Belfast as well, but... why do people start singing (usually very loudly) the 'do-do-do-do-do-do-do' part in Black as soon as Mike starts his solo!? :wtf:

where we were standing in London the do-doers were so loud that at times i could barely hear Mike's solo!

When he starts? It usually doesn't kick in until the end of his solo (which is when I start doing it cos that's its proper place). Ed used to do-do-do-do-do-do-do which is why we do it.

Also, there was a distinct lack of the "yeahs" during the alive solo. Did I miss a memo or something?
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
  • Options
    Yamini R wrote:
    frick! Can't believe I forgot to say this first yesterday, esp since it's the FANVIEWS thread :roll:

I loved loved loved Of The Earth. Had watched a vdo of it from the dublin show on youtube, so expected it @ Hyde Park too. It's absolute PJ - raw, uplifting & unfaultering. Still have it stuck in my head :D Esp enjoyed the jamming in the middle of the song and Ed's head-shaking on the title words towards the end :P

when I saw the vid from Dublin I enjoyed it a lot - I thought 'is this PJ going prog rock? Surely not!'
    (rhyming unintentional)

• Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    StoneAment wrote:
    jrd wrote:

When he starts? It usually doesn't kick in until the end of his solo (which is when I start doing it cos that's its proper place). Ed used to do-do-do-do-do-do-do which is why we do it.

i know WHY we do it but at both Belfast and Hyde Park people definitely started do-doing at the START of Mike's solo and it kinda pissed me off because they were so loud! :roll: :ugeek:

and they carry on do-doing loudly right through the solo and on into Ed's "we belong together"... grrr...
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    RabbitrocksRabbitrocks Posts: 101
    I was there with my 4 year old daughter, and have to say, the people surrounding us were lovely...tho I did get a soaking from flying bottles....luckily plastic! We moved about mid way through the set and the band's playing did seem to be incidental; a minor background annoyance to conversations!! But WE had a good time, and the band were as awesome as ever....
  • Options
    I was there with my 4 year old daughter, and have to say, the people surrounding us were lovely...tho I did get a soaking from flying bottles....luckily plastic! We moved about mid way through the set and the band's playing did seem to be incidental; a minor background annoyance to conversations!! But WE had a good time, and the band were as awesome as ever....

Glad you all got through without much more than a soaking. You wanna be careful of what's in those bottles tho - often not lager! tres unhygienic. Sorry to lower the tone. Are there and children present right now?

Figures, pearl jam will always be incidental to morons

• Options
    Agreed... you must have been close to me. We were right at the front left side on the rail, right by where it bended around. It was brutal there many peolpe had pushed their way forward with no regard for anyone else at all. When Eddie asked everyone to move back as soon as we did they immediately surged forward again..obviously the usual crowd who go to festivals who have no idea about how much Pearl Jam care about the saftey of their fans. They looked pretty concered and on edge a lot of the time. However the security gurards were great at getting people out it just spoilt it a little for me having been in line early on. A gret show but a bad crowd!
  • Options
    kevtickevtic Posts: 133
    Arsehole quota was very high and it's that kind of show that makes me glad PJ aren't massive and this would be the only way to see them play. The band put on a great show though despite the crowd hassles. Hope they hurry back real soon. 3 times in week just leaves you wanting more.
  • Options
    chidoonechidoone Posts: 327
    so because we plan on having a family we have to be punished???????????? i finally got the chance to see them live (13 years i've waited) and it feels like it wasn't worth it. if we wanted to just sit back and chill and listen to the gig we could've saved ourselves £280 and just watched any random PJ DVD. i agree with the guy a few posts up, how many people were there that just went along for a laugh and didn't actually know any words to evenflow but decided to jump and down like it was the song that changed their life.? and my poster tube got crushed, is that my fault for buying a poster a Pearl Jam gig, what an asshole i am. just because pushing and shoving happens at gigs doesn't mean we have to accept it, turn around and tell the dude to fuck off.

on a lighter i was stoked that given to fly was the opener and eddie was wearing a devo t-shirt.

You should know that that's the way it is in rock concerts in general and even worse in big festivals, sorry about you but that's the reason I'm alone or with mates and my wife and three small kids stay at home...honestly how could you think that you could be in the first rows of a concert with a pregnant girlfriends and that no one will attempt to push you, pull you, jump on you etc etc etc we all know how it is up front.... this is my 16th Pearl Jam concert and I have been 14 times in the Ten Club area in front and it always is the same...... even in an arena with only "real hardcore" fans like you and me.....Hope you will have the chance to see them live next time they will be here or elsewhere and you can enjoy the best live act out there....
  • Options
    chidoonechidoone Posts: 327
    Timmsi wrote:
    Great gig was at the front to the left! did anyone buy the green tee shirt with "pearl" "jam" on two white flags? mine has a error on it saying hyde park was on the 25 on jul. instead of jun. =/

I bought the tshirt and you're right it says JUL 25 for Hyde Park..Blimey you have a great eye there... I didn't even bother to read the dates !!!
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    The amount of people who pushed passed me (around 30 rows from the front right of stage) who were 'trying to find their friends' only for the same people to come out past me three songs later with tears streaming down their faces said alot. I have been going to gigs for a long time and I can guage the crowd of how they will react before the band even come on. I am sorry people had unpleasent experiences, but there are a lot of idiots out there. Fortunately I can handle myself in concert situations and I am happy to push someone twice my weight away if they want to mosh. But people who are not used to how a crowd works at a rock gig should simply not go where the crowd will be the most violent. I went to see the Gaslight Anthem last year and when someone went down in the crowd, everyone tried quickly to form some sort of guard so they could get up. Granted this gig was in the Kentish Town Forum but I really hope the boys stick to their own bespoke gigs from now on. I love seeing them and seeing them three times in nine months in London is awesome. But I would trade the Hyde Park experience for another Shepherd's Bush or O2 any day of the week. Great show but fingers crossed they play an arena show again soon.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I recognise some of you here.... :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    9090569.jpg