Options

*** London Fanviews Here 6/25/10 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,945
edited October 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
June 25, 2010 London, England, Hyde Park, Hard Rock Calling Festival

Set List: Given To Fly, Why Go, Brain Damage (Waters), Corduroy, Got Some, Once, World Wide Suicide, Small Town, Amongst The Waves, Even Flow, Unthought Known, Nothing Man, Arms Aloft (Bullen, Shields, Slatterly, Stafford, Strummmer), Not For You, Of The Earth, State Of Love And Trust, Do The Evolution, Wasted Reprise, Better Man/Save It For Later (Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)

1st encore: Just Breathe, Red Mosquito w/Ben Harper, Black, Porch

2nd encore: Go, The Fixer, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Thank you :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707
    im sure it was great
  • Options
    wozza77wozza77 Posts: 276
    Note that there was a pink floyd song (asylum?) before corduroy I think.

Having been to Dublin it was dissappointingly similiar setlist, however it was a great gig.

Energy of all the band best I have seen probably since 96.

Standouts red mosquito and black.

Crowd was massive and sounded loud where I was on all the big sing alongs.
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
  • Options
    pablo5pablo5 Posts: 48
    It was. Black especially.

There was a definite theme of Roskilde hanging over Eddie's head though.
  • Options
    Black best I have heard other than mayb Benaroyal.

The ending was just immense and went on for so long
  • Options
    PakaPaka Posts: 471
    Go...FINALLY Go!!
    Was in the front row though far off the stage to the left side. Actually wanted to stick to my spot throughout the gig (coz Ed and Mike came over once in a while to say hi) but when the 2nd encore started I just had to get into the ramble pit - what a phenomenal night. :D

See you guys in Berlin!
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    The crowd was frickin mad, so many retards there.

No fucking songs off Binaural or Riot Act AGAIN!!! :(:(

Good to tick Red Mosquito off though :-D
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,960
    edited June 2010
    My head is proper baked, today was HOT and the crowd was LARGE. Fantastic opening song, but the sound was a bit off for the first couple, definitely a builder and man did it build. Eddie was clearly worried about playing to such a large number of people, but you could tell he didn't want to leave during Yellow Ledbetter. Oh my, this gig had titties and snakes! Evolution was incredible and I loved SOLAT and of course Corduroy (garanteed to get me jumping about like a loon). Show poster was a bit too chav for me what with the footie at the moment and all, but I expect I'll pick it up from here later. There was nice bro fist punching going on. My head is baked. Just a wonderful festival style gig that has me pumped up for Berlin!

Oh, Of The Earth was aces, Ed said if it plays well here then it will be on the new album! Well it certain earned its place.
    Post edited by Spags on
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    asher7asher7 Posts: 85
    Awesome set! Really happy! Seemed like they were cut a bit short cause of Hyde Park's curfew (2 hours 10 minutes is I suppose short for their standards!).

Just Breathe, Do The Evolution, Courduroy, Once, WWS were highlights, while Black and Alive were phenomenal and wonderful moments!!!

Still haven't seen them play Jeremy, Present Tense or Rearviewmirror, oh well, I'll just have to see them again!
  • Options
    EdLawEdLaw Posts: 194
    Oh man, that was good. I got on the left hand side, thankfully not too far back. Fair few people trying to push through to the front as roughly as possible, and some dicks thowing bottles, but that thankfully susbsided as the show went on.

Well pleased to get Go, it's one of my few absolute favs that I hadn't seen yet. Black caught me by surprise, but it was really, really good.

The other major highlight... Eddie and Ben Harper doing Under Pressure. Classic.
    And I planted my bolo knife in the neck of mad John Finn. I took his wretched life.
    Now I'm over near the bandstand, every hand moving on John Finn's wife...
  • Options
    CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
    Good Stuff, not sure about the Arms Aloft / Not For You / Of The Earth combo. Seemed to lose alot of people. . McCready was on fire tonight.
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    super show. again a euphoric experience. they were so up for it tonight. glad to hear some of the newer songs like just breathe and unthought known, as well as some real gems like red mosquito andnot for you. the crowd on the whole seemed friendly but there's always a few idiots. for an outdoor gig the sound was better than i thought. excellent to see the boys again. third time seeing ben harper, always in support roles, and he did a job but impressed with the hives and gaslight anthem, again who i have seen in the past, who made it a very enjoyable day.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    JustynaJustyna Posts: 132
    (This morning has started pretty tragig for me. I've found out that yesterday I washed my passport with an US visa in it, which means I probably lost my holidays in Seattle.)

The Hard Rock Calling have made my day!
    I've got to the first row in the centre and enjoyed the concert with my friends.
    Pearl Jam was brilliant (like always :D), I loved Ed with Ben doing Under Pressure.
    The sad thing is, there were some 'fans' who were either retarded or an animals in a human disguize as they didn't have an idea how to behave.
    Anyway, can't wait till next Wednesday.
    Spodek 2000, Roskilde 2000, O2 2009, Belfast 2010, Hyde Park 2010, Wuhlheide 2010, Open'er 2010, Manchester 1&2 2012 , Amsterdam 1&2 2014, Wuhlheide 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Open'er 2014, MK 2014, Amsterdam 1&2 2018, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018, Barcelona 2018, London 1&2 2018
  • Options
    GlennKGlennK Posts: 12
    Great Show!

Highlights for me were the collaborations with Ben Harper, Red Mosquito was amazing! Saw him as a support act years ago and love the whole sit down guitar thing he does!

Thought the guys put on a great show. Got the feeling they were a little panicy about the crowd size (and in fairness some guy went down next to me and looked scared to death as we pulled him up) but on the whole it didn't seem that bad, I was a few rows off the barriers to the left of stage.

I don't think they were overly thrilled with the tight stage times, but that's festivals for you. Set was pretty short (for them!) and had a kind of upbeat, relaxed feel for me. Maybe not their most dynamic performance but definitely great fun and sound was really good where I was.

Here's a photo of Eddie and Hen signing Under Pressure...

http://bit.ly/bmZMYI

Hope they come back soon!

G

Reading Festival '95 (NeilJam) | Wembley Arena '96 (28/29) | Astoria '06 | Reading Festival '06 | Wembley Arena '07 | Shepherd's Bush Empire '09 | London O2 Arena '09 | Wachovia Spectrum '09 (27/28) | Hyde Park '10 | Hammersmith Apollo '12 (Eddie Solo) | Milton Keynes '14  |  Hammersmith Apollo '17 (Eddie Solo 06/07)
    Good Stuff, not sure about the Arms Aloft / Not For You / Of The Earth combo. Seemed to lose alot of people. . McCready was on fire tonight.

McCreedy is always on fire!!!!! Love him so. Was in 2nd row right infront of Mike there was lots of pointing. Really liked the bit you just mentioned. I'm really feeling Of the Earth (it's kicking anything on Backspacer's ass right now for me). Love it. Other highlights for me were Red Mosquito, Nothingman and I guess Once too, all 3 of those are now ticked off.

The set was definately cut down due to strict Hyde Park regulations. The crowd thing was clearly bothering them, with it coming up to 10 years since Roskilde it must be on their minds. I can tell you the crowd was manic at the front. People were being pulled out the whole way through, the beginning especially
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
  • Options
    Pics from Hard Rock Calling for those interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59794835@N00/sets/72157624358011494/
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Justyna wrote:
    The sad thing is, there were some 'fans' who were either retarded or an animals in a human disguize as they didn't have an idea how to behave.

Welcome to England!! Hope you enjoy your stay. Sad thing here is every generation of 20 year old lads thinks they are the first to discover beer and fighting. It gets more and more boring as time goes on
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    simonortonsimonorton Posts: 173
    Ok I recognise I might be putting my neck on the line here but have to say tonight wasnt one of the best. Thought the set list was more about broad appeal-which is what you get when for events like this I guess-without very much for the diehards. OK, there was the new song but putting it so close to arms aloft really killed the tempo and attention I think. A Rats/Id/MFC/RVM wouldve been nice. The sound too was horrible. I was between mixing desk and stage and Eds vocals were barely there for me and the people around me, really hard to hear him at all. Yes, Under Pressure was good and Eds care and passion was moving and poignant. I guess I just know they are a lot better than tonight. And after 15 years of watching them . . . still no Breath! Have they made some pact or something ?!
    "If I knew where it was I would take you there ... there's much more than this"

Manchester 92, 09, 12 (x2)
    London 96, 00 (x2), 06, 07, 09, 10
    Reading 06
    Arras 10
    Alpine Valley 11 (x2)
    Prague 12
    Berlin 12
    Leeds 14
    Milton Keynes 14
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    why did i not hear of this harper/vedder "under pressure" til now?? i just found a version from '09... ITS AWESOME! :o

looks like a great show!

would love to catch "arms aloft" live too
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 953
    it was good, but i think going to both dublin and belfast spoilt it a bit for me, they were much better in my opinion. the crowd didnt seem as good tonight (i guess thats what you get with festival crowds), couple people starting fights to try and get closer to stage. as someone said before, setlist was very similar to previous 2 concerts, although played just as well. under pressure and red mosquito were very cool, nice to see ben and ed together. arms aloft and of the earth were good ( cant believe im 2 for 2 on both of these) all in all, a very good, solid performance from the guys, hopefully see them again soon.
  • Options
    IdlewildIdlewild London, England Posts: 173
    All in all it was a very enjoyable day, good support bands too, The Hives were great fun as always.

Obviously enjoyed Pearl Jam, great seeing Ben Harper performing Red Mosquito, a real highlight. Great to hear Of The Earth for the second time.

In my view not as good as Belfast or Dublin but must have been amazing for the people seeing Pearl Jam for the first time.

What really annoyed me was when Ed asked everyone to look after each after especially with Roskilde happening 10 years ago, you then get some drunken idiots starting to boo. That was disgusting

It was great to see 50,000 plus people singing Betterman all at once. Absolutely fantastic
    London Brixton Academy 1993, Wembley Arena (Both Nights) 1996, Wembley Arena 2000, London Astoria 2006, Reading Festival 2006, Verona Italy 2006, London Wembley Arena 2007, Copenhagen Denmark 2007,
    London Shepherds Bush Empire 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena 2009, London O2 Arena 2009
    Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park 2010
    Manchester Arena 1 and 2, Stockholm, Oslo 2012
    Amsterdam 1 and 2, Leeds, Milton Keynes Bowl 2014
    Wrigley Field 1 and 2 2016
    London 1 and 2 2018
    Fenway Park 1 and 2 2018
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,655
    To all you people making a comment about the "time" regulations and shortness of the set: I went to Jazzfest, and they only did one encore, and played 1 hour, 50 minutes, so be happy! 2 hours 10 mintutes is also longer than I got at ACL last year too!

Like your setlist. Even though you got a good bit of greatest hits, still got a few good gems. Plus your poster is fricken' awesome.

At any festival you're just going to have to stomach the morons who decide at the last second they're going to push their way to front row center... that's just how it is unfortunately. Some people decide they are more important than you, and unless you're willing to get in their face about it (which most people aren't, myself included) you're just going to have to deal.

Hope everyone ejoyed the show!
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Great day! I thought the setlist was good but like some others on here wasn't sure about 'Arms Aloft' and 'Of the Earth' being so close together. It did seem to slow down the crowd but perhaps that was a good thing as there some brainless dickheads out there. Where we were (3/4 back between stage and mixing desk) everyone was singing along loudly with every song. Sometimes Ed was unnecessary, he could have had a break, sat in a chair and read the paper perhaps. :D I thought the Backspacer songs were excellent and I heard 'Not for You' for the first time, which had me grinning big time.

We were in place before the first act and we treated the support acts the way we normally do... time for a snooze. Until the Hives came on that is. We thought they were brilliant and it was the first time we've ever seen 19th century sailors playing. Just wish The Hives and Ben Harper had been switched around. I don't understand the appeal for Mr Harper but luckily Ed joined him to brighten up the proceedings.

Ed was concerned about the crowd and I could understand why. Put 50,000 people together and you'll get some A-holes and Oh boy did we have some A-holes in that crowd. I thought we were far enough back to avoid any mayhem but no. As the boys launched into 'Go' off they went in front of us, slamming into each other and behaving like pricks. I'm not sure I want to take my wife to another show like this.
  • Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    was there a separate fenced off area for the front pit for 10c members...or was it just early entry...or neither?

Im going to Nijmegen tomorrow and im taking my girlfriend who is not a diehard and im worried about her ability to handle this kind of chaos. I have dealt with it at Lolla before and its not very fun. I don't need to be at the front of course, but Festivals just breed that kind of animalistic behavior.

Im hoping to try and upgrade to the front pit in Nijmegen when we get there...I believe there is a fenced off area in the front where the VIP tickets are more expensive. We'll see. Im hoping that enough people will be high as hell so maybe theyll be a little more chilled.

I hope PJ takes notice of this and sticks to their own shows!!!!! Festivals are unnecessary for you guys...you have enough fans to sell out venues by yourself!!

Anyway, Brain Damage? That is something im definitely jealous of. God I hope they play Black one of the next two nights (Nijmegen and Berlin) because ive already dragged my girlfriend to 3 shows (msg1+2 in 08' and Hartford 08') all in a row and she didnt get to hear her favorite song (after I pretty much guaranteed her she would)....help get me out of the doghouse PJ!
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Anyway, Brain Damage? That is something im definitely jealous of.

That's what I was thinking. 24 posts and no mention of this? Was it the whole song? Was it as awesome as it seems in my head?
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Rossum20 wrote:
    Anyway, Brain Damage? That is something im definitely jealous of.

That's what I was thinking. 24 posts and no mention of this? Was it the whole song? Was it as awesome as it seems in my head?
    Ed strumming and singing the opening lyrics before going into Corduroy. It was nothing to get over excited about.
  • Options
    Thought brain damage was cool. Forgot it happened when I originally posted. Like an intro tag to coduroy.
    The only rarity all night other than under pressure!
    Reading 06 is my fav show but the whole band was definitely more energtic last night than for years
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,960
    Ed was on fighting form when he came on for the second encore, shadow boxing away like a champion :D

Got to say I loved hearing all those Backspacer songs, Just Breathe was cemented as my wedding song, LadySpaggles had a wonderful time...even though she was in the toilet during Black :o :roll:

Ooooh postman has just arrived with Amongst the Waves green record! That will help with the hangover! :mrgreen:
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    it was a great set. the guys were totally on fire.
    wish i could have got close. tried but im way too short so rather than stare at a load of backs for hours i headed to the big screen near the back. sound sucked though.. dunno if they put the volume down or if the speakers fucked up.
    totally felt for the guys when eddie talked about roskilde. but luckily it looked like everyone was fine and safe.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,860
    In terms of setlists, it looks average at first glance, but the show itself was superb. Really loved the Brain Damage tease pre-Courdroy (no Interstellar Overdrive, mind...)

Now a plea - Pearl Jam - when doing future European tours, please, please, please, play indoor arenas. Ed was concerned about the crushing, and rightfully so. Thankfully the weather held up - I'd hate to think what might have happened if it was raining.

/rant

Hope everyone made it home safely and had a good time! :)
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16