Options

*** London Fanviews Here 6/25/10 ***

Comments

• Options
    sickofitsickofit Norway Posts: 780
    What a frickin' awesome night!! Just got home to Norway and I feel like I'm still there in the crowd, pogo-ing and yelling at the top of my lungs. I went with a cousin & his gf - first PJ gig for both of em and I can proudly say they're converts :clap: Ever since I got my fan club tickets last yr, I'd been dreaming of the hubs & bubs (now almost 2 yrs old) being there too ... but hubs was not too keen on the LO going (crowds, long day etc). How guttered was I to see other young families there :( Granted, had we all been there, I wdn't have had or chosen the spot I had (close enough ;) ) Which makes me think of the person complaining abt their crappy experience with their 23-wk preggie gf. I totally agree with everyone else. You ruined your own experiences! There are several ways I can think of that both of you cd have enjoyed the day safely and happily ... and I'm sure if you had thought long and hard you wd have too. Hope you're going to another gig and can do it with more planning this time.

Anyway, I just had to get online even though I'm super-tired, to say Thank you to other fans who were there to have a good time and enjoy great music ... thanks for being friendly and helpful ... and for looking after me. Shout out to the Italian fans ("BANDIERA, BANDIERA!!!"), Portugese fans (waving their flag!), A scouser and his lovely wife and a big '7-foot' gentle giant, who all stood next to me at some point. You guys made me feel safe enough to get lost in the music and breathe in the energy flowing off the stage.
    if I keep holding out,.... will the light shine through?
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    I have to agree with the general principle that Pearl Jam keep their side of the bargain by lighting a pretty huge bonfire, but that we must also honour our part of the deal by not getting unreasonably close to it.

Kat / Sea's comment earlier in the thread about a proper discussion needing to happen in another thread has thrown me tho - I'm too scared even to look for such a thread!

When is the right time to have this discussion? For me I'm not sure it's today anyway.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    Fu ManchuFu Manchu Posts: 168
    chidoone wrote:
    Fu Manchu wrote:
    The Band were on fire and they were fricken awesome. I was mid way between the stage and soundboard near the guy with the vuvuzela, a few idiots throwing bottles and stuff but all in all I had great time.

the boobs moment in betterman was hilarious :lol:

+1 for the boobs moment..I'm not sure that Eddie relised why the audience was cheering !!! :D

When the camera went to him and the crowd started booing he looked confused as hell.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • Options
    sickofitsickofit Norway Posts: 780
    Fu Manchu wrote:
    chidoone wrote:
    Fu Manchu wrote:
    The Band were on fire and they were fricken awesome. I was mid way between the stage and soundboard near the guy with the vuvuzela, a few idiots throwing bottles and stuff but all in all I had great time.

the boobs moment in betterman was hilarious :lol:

+1 for the boobs moment..I'm not sure that Eddie relised why the audience was cheering !!! :D

:lol::lol::lol: so true!! He was dragging out his little 'keep 'em waiting for me to start singing' bit ... and then looked like he realised something else was up. Prolly felt silly when informed later *teehee*
    if I keep holding out,.... will the light shine through?
  • Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,410
    I'm glad so many of you did have a good time, at least. for me, it was by far the worst experience of my 14 shows. i'd like to say it was a great set, but honestly, i just can't say, because I don't really even feel like i was at the show. I think the boot is going to be like listening to a random show.

My girlfriend and I were just planning on taking it easy after having been at the front for Dublin and Belfast. Just relax in the park and the sun, have some beers and food and the freedom to walk around.... but we did find a perfect place, 2nd row, dead centre, best view I ever had. So we stuck it out for six hours, agsinst so many people angling to sneak in ahead. But when ed came out for Under Pressure, we got a little hint of what was to come. As soon as Given to Fly hit the line "a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw" then that's exactly what happened. Halfway through Why Go my girlfriend said she had to get out. I followed. There was no enjoyment to be had, we couldn't concentrate on the show, but only on trying not to get crushed or crush the people in front on the bar - clearly not a concern of the meathead fuckers behind us.

Never felt so much rage as when, when we finally got settled, having missed half the show and now stuck in a place where we couldn't even see the stage, or hear the band for the fairweathers talking over every song they didn't know (most of them), seeing on the screen in the distance the big hairy fucker who'd been trying to force his way to the front from five rows back for hours now happily rocking away on the barrier.

The band were clearly concerned, especially given the timing of the show, and it was just after we were out, that Ed made everyone take the steps back. Too late for us. And such a shame that there were so many ignorant pricks there (most of whom - as far as I could see - barely knew Even Flow, so had no reason to be so crazy) who couldn't give a shit about the safety of the people around them. A criticism that also goes for the criminally incompetent security, who just didn't even bother paying attention when people were getting crushed in front of them.

I'm sure for most the show was great was great, but for us it was hell. Scratching it off the list and moving on to Berlin.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    evoevo Airdrie, Scotland Posts: 185
    just got back to glasgow, great set but as folk have already said a small percentage of the crowd we're utter douchebags. i usually try getting down the front but decided to hang back and was just in front of the sound desk tower and the amount of bottles getting launched was out of order.

I thought arms aloft did bring the atmosphere down a hell of a lot and i've still to see release and dissident (maybe one day).

special thanks to the spanish guy behind me who decided to piss all down the back of me and my mates legs. prick

one other thing, please,please play in scotland im fed up of airport pearl jam hangovers
    Hail Hail
  • Options
    DalDal Posts: 1
    Awesome night. PJ at their greatest when they're rocking out to Alive.
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,014
    I have to say that i hope they dont do big outdoor shows anymore. While Ed was making sure everyone was looking after each other you get these idiots who throw full bottles of beer(stupid enough in itself) pushing with no regard of others & not even near the front & finally crowd surfing during alive that is just so old hat. It is sad that it has taken me so long to talk about the band who were on fire as always. Finally heard Red Mosquito & Of The Earth sounded epic. Brain Damage(which a few seemed to have) was a nice surprise. Ed's humour was well place maybe the Queen has got her ladies in waiting to go & get some PJ cd's. Earls Court or o2 next time please. Great day, greatest band ever & new friends made just the few that have to think being a stupid is cool.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Options
    StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
    The band were clearly concerned, especially given the timing of the show, and it was just after we were out, that Ed made everyone take the steps back. Too late for us.

Wouldn't have made a difference mate, I was in row 2 and those steps back didn't relieve any pressure.

I think the sticking to the o2 would probably be the best thing. What we need is a 15-20,000 person amphitheatre in London so we can have outdoor shows but not be absolutely fucking crushed. Of course there's no space in London to do that. I vote we knock down Wembley arena (and surrounding exhibition centres)- it's shit anyway. The only reason it was London's premier venue for so long was because it had no competition. The o2 has much better sound, there's a reason Wembley has had a dramatic drop in the number of gigs it holds.
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
  • Options
    Matt SmithMatt Smith Posts: 26
    What about Milton Keynes Bowl?
  • Options
    StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
    Matt Smith wrote:
    What about Milton Keynes Bowl?

That's bigger than Hyde Park - well it's not bigger than the park but the section they use for gigs at the park holds 50,000, Milton Keynes - 65,000

Also when I click buy CD on the setlist page it takes me to the goods page with a message saying "invalid SKU" - wtf?
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
  • Options
    so because we plan on having a family we have to be punished???????????? i finally got the chance to see them live (13 years i've waited) and it feels like it wasn't worth it. if we wanted to just sit back and chill and listen to the gig we could've saved ourselves £280 and just watched any random PJ DVD. i agree with the guy a few posts up, how many people were there that just went along for a laugh and didn't actually know any words to evenflow but decided to jump and down like it was the song that changed their life.? and my poster tube got crushed, is that my fault for buying a poster a Pearl Jam gig, what an asshole i am. just because pushing and shoving happens at gigs doesn't mean we have to accept it, turn around and tell the dude to fuck off.

on a lighter i was stoked that given to fly was the opener and eddie was wearing a devo t-shirt.
    Caleb Benjamin Higgs-16th December 2006
    Max Lennon Higgs-22nd October 2010
    My two boys are the light of my life.

check my band/project out at www.soundclick.com/nineyardsleft
  • Options
    yukkayukka Posts: 7
    so because we plan on having a family we have to be punished???????????? i finally got the chance to see them live (13 years i've waited) and it feels like it wasn't worth it. if we wanted to just sit back and chill and listen to the gig we could've saved ourselves £280 and just watched any random PJ DVD.

You should definately go to see them if they play an indoor venue again. The O2 and Shepherds Bush gigs were great last year. Its not about being punished for having a family, its about being responsible for one and any open air festival like that is likely to get rowdy up the front. I remember getting to the front for a few bands at Reading and it was ridiculous. You can't expect the crowd to stay in one place and the sound was so bad last night lots of people were getting forward just to be able to hear.

As far as the venue goes, bad sound. Gig itself was decent although I needed more beer - my mate got lost on his way back and I spent 2 hours getting a progressively worse headache. Yellow Ledbetter was short, State of Love and Trust was great. I did like the set but it wasn't as good as previous and it was a different atmosphere to the pure Pearl Jam concerts I attended last year with all the non-pearl jam fans who were just there to get smashed up.
  • Options
    alesekalesek Posts: 809
    so because we plan on having a family we have to be punished????????????

nope. but your wife should have stayed home, sry to say that. the level of noise is dangerous in any week of pregnancy. not mentioning all the pushing that goes on in festivals like this. I understand your waiting for seeing them but... guess someone shud have been the responsible one and now there is none to blaim to be honest. I wish u all the best and im quite sure that one day you will bring your kid for a PJ gig...
    14/6/00 Prague 22/9/06 Prague 12/6/07 Munich 15/8/09 Berlin 22/06/10 Dublin 23/06/10 Belfast 30/06/10 Berlin 26/06/12 Amsterdam 02/07/12 Prague 04/07/12 Berlin 05/07/12 Berlin 07/07/12 Stockholm 09/07/12 Oslo 10/07/12 Copenhagen 25/6/14 Vienna 26/6/14 Berlin 1/7/18 Prague 3/7/18 Krakow 5/7/18 Berlin
  • Options
    WASTIDWASTID Posts: 150
    Pregnant GF and it's everyone elses fault?take some responsibility. We got U2 tickets before my wife got pregnant, we still went, stood in a area I thought would be safe and still enjoyed the gig. Don't have to be right up front to enjoy. Would never have risked safety if wife or our child!!

Plenty if talk of the crowd.... Where I was there were few idiots but you come to expect in here in England. But it was nowhere near the level I've experienced at gigs by Foo's or RHCP (far more popular to the "trendy" followers than PJ will ever be).

Stood about 20 yards in front of soundcdesk stage left and thought sound was good there.

Cracking gig. Not the best I've seen but to be fair Astoria will be hard to top ever.

Go, SOLAT, Black all awesome and Unthought Known as brilliant as I hoped.

Special mention to lads from Munich - hope you don't enjoy tomorrows game, but i'm sure Berlin on Wednesday would make up for that! Sunderland lad! ;-)
    Wembley Arena, London, England 05-30-2000
    Astoria, London, England 04-20-2006
    Wembley Arena, London, England 06-18-2007
    MEN Arena, Manchester, England 08-17-2009
    Hyde Park, London, England 06-25-2010
    MEN Arena, Manchester, UK 06-20-2012
    Apollo, Manchester, UK 07-28-2012 (Ed Solo)
    San Siro, Milano, Italia 06-20-2014
    FD Arena, Leeds 07-08-2014
    National Bowl, Milton Keynes 07-11-2014
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    tremors wrote:
    Justyna wrote:
    The sad thing is, there were some 'fans' who were either retarded or an animals in a human disguize as they didn't have an idea how to behave.

Welcome to England!! Hope you enjoy your stay. Sad thing here is every generation of 20 year old lads thinks they are the first to discover beer and fighting. It gets more and more boring as time goes on

bunch of Americans near us (too near!) thought it normal/great to start pissing everywhere rather than go out to the toilet queues kind of put a dampener on things (ha ha!) for us.

after Belfast i have to say it was a solid show... got Red Mosquito which was superb but apart from that i have to say i don't like outdoor, festival-type shows. the percentage of twats is higher, the sound is generally worse and you can't get as close as easily - the zimmer-frame is just too wide... :)
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    p.s. oh, and i think we stood next to the Marseilles '06 whistler... i really am a twat magnet (in the worst sense) :shock: :(
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    jrd wrote:
    p.s. oh, and i think we stood next to the Marseilles '06 whistler... i really am a twat magnet (in the worst sense) :shock: :(

Hehehe - yeah I know the feeling!

Seems like you guys are doing a good job of defending us Brits from my unfair slogans. Thanks. Unfortunately one of my best friends has a tendency to urinate on a whim, and we've been stuck together for about 22 years! - so I think my twat magnet might need a bit of powering down too.

. I reckon some lads must live very boring lives! My advice would be to get down to the local homeless shelter and do some real work for a change

[edited:- showing my ignorance]

• Options
    simonesimone Posts: 2
    Was brilliant. Everything. But was there a show by them at the o2 on the 22nd ????????????
    Iammine
  • Options
    simonesimone Posts: 2
    simone wrote:
    Was brilliant. Everything. But was there a show by them at the o2 on the 22nd ????????????
    Iammine
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Didn't read all the pages and posts, but was wondering if Eddie dedicated anything to MJ since it was the 1 year yesterday? I'm surprised they didn't do Rats with the Ben intro.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    TimmsiTimmsi Posts: 25
    Great gig was at the front to the left! did anyone buy the green tee shirt with "pearl" "jam" on two white flags? mine has a error on it saying hyde park was on the 25 on jul. instead of jun. =/
    London(the o2) 18~08~2009

London Hyde Park 25~06~2010
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    might have been a lot of twats who chanced their way in? Me, Don and Jill didnt get our tickets looked at once!!! We just walked in!

Thats £50 wasted

show was the 'worst' one i've ever attended. Too far away and had the usual shitbags fucking around in front of us.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    Ah man it's a shame reading all these bad reviews, I thought it was amazing and hoped everyone else had just as good a time :( I went with my wife, parents, brother and his mrs. We were leaning on the rail right in front of the soundstage, where the rail bent round to start the channel that lead down to the front. Amazing view, good sound, really nice people around us, no problems at all. My parents only gig was Wembley 07 with the "rarities" setlist, so it was great that they got a much more standard show this time. For my bro and his mrs it was their first show and they absolutely loved it. My bro's been a fairly casual fan for a while but I reckon this'll make him check out more, he said it was the best show he'd even seen :D

Just goes to show that it's completely pot luck whether you get to enjoy these events, absolutely completely dependant on those around you. We could quite easily have had some annoying twats next to us, talking through songs, pissing in the open etc. etc. which would have ruined our day as well. Shame that it has to happen :(
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Very good concert, and I think that Of the Earth should def be on the "next album".

But man, there were some safety concerns here. I was standing on the left against the metal gate, little off the stage, and even though I have been to concerts often, where I was standing it got really bad. Sprained my angle, wrist, hurt my left arms and knee and my ribs were being squashed. Felt like I was hit by a train afterwards. Really realized what kind of monster a crowd can be and also realized - and this was quite scary - how you can be crushed. If this crowd is coming your way, and you stuck between twenty people and an iron gate, there is nothing you can do. Many people panicked. A girl got hurt very bad and had to be carried out. Two other women started to cry. I left after the second song or something. I was like "fuck it, a concert should not hurt".

I saw the rest at a safe distance, with lungs and ribs that were inflamed. (I''m going to see a doctor tomorrow.)

Why these venues don't decide to put barriers in the middle, like during some other festivals, is beyond me. It is also beyond me, why some people have to push and shove. And don't come to me like "well, it is a concert man" or "you decided to stand near the stage." There is also something as human decency. If you can't bring this up for your fellow fan, than I think we should discuss this on this board. For we as fans also owe responsibilty.

Either way, the crowd was different than the London show a few years ago. I think that there were many festival goers, who just want to mosh no matter who is one stage. That is why I'm never fond of festivals.

I'm going to stop my rant now... Very good concert thoughh and man, Of the Earth is amazing. I love the solo in the middle. What is nexct? 2x4 or Cold Concession?
  • Options
    Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the people who helped my wife escape from the front of the crowd. She'd consumed a little too much of the red stuff but was adamant that she would be fine and was staying put. Needless to say, got a little rough in there as soon as the guys walked out. Really touched by everyones reaction as I tried to drag her out of there - It was like the parting of the Red Sea! Read a few posts about people being poorly behaved at the gig, so thought I'd comment on how cool you all were. Thanks again all, sure the band would be proud of your reaction too.
  • Options
    Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the people who helped my wife escape from the front of the crowd. She'd consumed a little too much of the red stuff but was adamant that she would be fine and was staying put. Needless to say, got a little rough in there as soon as the guys walked out. Really touched by everyones reaction as I tried to drag her out of there - It was like the parting of the Red Sea! Read a few posts about people being poorlt behaved at the gig, so thought I'd comment on how cool you all were. Thanks again all, sure the band would be proud of your reaction too.

That's great news. Pearl Jam fans are surely more able to do this than any other set of fans. We've been pretty well drilled

• Options
    WASTIDWASTID Posts: 150
    Quite sad Reading the problems others had but it wasn't the majority. Most were very good elsewhere.
    Wembley Arena, London, England 05-30-2000
    Astoria, London, England 04-20-2006
    Wembley Arena, London, England 06-18-2007
    MEN Arena, Manchester, England 08-17-2009
    Hyde Park, London, England 06-25-2010
    MEN Arena, Manchester, UK 06-20-2012
    Apollo, Manchester, UK 07-28-2012 (Ed Solo)
    San Siro, Milano, Italia 06-20-2014
    FD Arena, Leeds 07-08-2014
    National Bowl, Milton Keynes 07-11-2014
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Are you Navy Shane?

Bloody good blokes!
    Post edited by tremors on

• Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    WASTID wrote:
    Quite sad Reading the problems others had but it wasn't the majority. Most were very good elsewhere.

I think it all depends on where you stood. Nonetheless though, a concert should be safe for everyone.