Unreleased Pearl Jam Song "Better Days" Leaks

Comments

• primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    Laddie wrote:
    Nobody else got a No Code vibe from the song? the sitar made me think of the version of Long Road with Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn. I'm not saying this song is from No Code. I don't really care when its from. I would love to know the backstory just for the sake of pearl jam nerdery. All I definitely know is that I like it.
    That is what I get out of it to! Though it likely isn't quite that old I definately don't hear any "newness" to it either like some are. People are speculating that it has to be after Riot Act because they were signed with Sony up until then. But that has nothing to do with it cause if the song was recorded in say 2001 but the band never handed the song over to Sony for release then Sony doesn't "own" the song. In fact every song this band has recorded since their formation they own until handing over to Sony for release. So for example if they recorded "Falling Down" or "Open Road" in 1995 those songs the band own under their own authority cause they never turned them over to Sony. So any song they release from the time of the expiration of their Sony contract would be released under "Monkeywrench Records" reguardless of when it was recorded. I'm gonna guess Riot Act sessions at the latest but could be older.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    I definately don't hear any "newness" to it either like some are. . . I'm gonna guess Riot Act sessions at the latest but could be older.
    the "newness" is all over eds crappy strained voice and cheesetastic lyrics... no way its pre-RA... the optimism leads me to believe it may even be post-obama election
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Oh god im sick of all this lovey optimistic crap don’t like this song at all bores the crap outta me
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    it sounds like it could be part of a movie soundtrack.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    wolfman wrote:
    Oh god im sick of all this lovey optimistic crap don’t like this song at all bores the crap outta me

Hey Wolfman, 1994 called. It want's its.....................ahh, i'm just f*ckin with ya :)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    wolfman wrote:
    Oh god im sick of all this lovey optimistic crap don’t like this song at all bores the crap outta me

Hey Wolfman, 1994 called. It want's its.....................ahh, i'm just f*ckin with ya :)
    Whoever wants punctuation in a run-on sentence did call.. I dont know what they want back though. :lol:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    after 1 listen, I believe this song should remain where it belongs.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319

Good point. Look at the Zeppelin 4 and Houses of the Holy songs that ended up on Physical Graffiti, and Walter's Walk on Coda was a case where the song was from the Houses of the Holy era, a riff was used on Presence, and when it finally appeared on Coda, Plant had recorded the vocal track in the early 80's after Bonham died, obviously, for the album's release. So what I'm saying, this wouldn't be the first time a band finisher and released earlier material, at a later time.

Aren't there examples of Pearl Jam doing this? Wasn't "Better Man" originally slated for "Vs.," and then re-recorded in the form that ended up on "Vitalogy"? (Yes, I know "Better Man" dates back to pre-Pearl Jam days, but I'm specifically referring to the fact that the band recorded a version when they were making "Vs." that got reworked for "Vitalogy.") I think the same was true of "Brain Of J."-- originally recorded for "No Code," then re-worked for "Yield."
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    The song grows on me. The first couple of listens, I wasn't that impressed. The third time, I listened through headphones and it struck a chord.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    drsluggo wrote:
    wolfman wrote:

Whoever wants punctuation in a run-on sentence did call.. I dont know what they want back though. :lol:

I see a few things wrong with your sentence

Good times either way ;)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    Maybe this will be played at the yet to be announced or for that matter talked about solo tour that Eddie will do.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    edited June 2010
    If it is newer it could possibly be a demo. Mike and Jeff both said in seperate interviews recently that they recorded a bunch of demos in the Spring. This would also explain why management would be passing it around to one another now.
    Post edited by primussucks on
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    Unreal talent. This song gives me chills.
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • BlahBlah Posts: 469
    This band should be so proud of the fact that a song they felt wasn't good enough for an album is simply breath taking. It's far from the first time this has happened too. They have countless songs not on albums that are mesmerizing. I wonder if God knows he overloaded the members of Pearl Jam with talent?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    whoa....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    BF25394 wrote:

Good point. Look at the Zeppelin 4 and Houses of the Holy songs that ended up on Physical Graffiti, and Walter's Walk on Coda was a case where the song was from the Houses of the Holy era, a riff was used on Presence, and when it finally appeared on Coda, Plant had recorded the vocal track in the early 80's after Bonham died, obviously, for the album's release. So what I'm saying, this wouldn't be the first time a band finisher and released earlier material, at a later time.

Aren't there examples of Pearl Jam doing this? Wasn't "Better Man" originally slated for "Vs.," and then re-recorded in the form that ended up on "Vitalogy"? (Yes, I know "Better Man" dates back to pre-Pearl Jam days, but I'm specifically referring to the fact that the band recorded a version when they were making "Vs." that got reworked for "Vitalogy.") I think the same was true of "Brain Of J."-- originally recorded for "No Code," then re-worked for "Yield."

I don't know many PJ examples. I understand Severed Hand was written during the 2000 tour and then put on the shelves. Didn't make it onto Riot Act but did make it onto Self Titled. This new one may have been just that.

On another note, any opportunity I get to throw in a Zeppelin fact or analogy, I can't help myself. I still have goosebumps from when Plant joined PJ on stage in the HOB Chicago and did Fool in the Rain and Thank You, plus others. Oops, there I go again.

After having this new song on repeat for a while, I love it. Reminds me a lot of Long Road or Hard to Imagine. I'm not a voice expert but I think someone other than Ed is backing vocals in that la-la-la part. Sounds like Jeff. Can anybody put on headphones and verify?
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • cokelogiccokelogic Posts: 139
    There are a few options here:

1) The song is a straight up B-side from Riot Act. And there's no real reason why it leaked.

2) Better Days was written during Riot Act, but held over and re-recorded for Avocado (to explain the livelier vocals) and this is an Avocado B-Side.

3) Better Days was written during Riot Act, but held over and re-recorded for Backspacer and now this is part of the EP Mike spoke about last year.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i dunno......reminds of slow lukin....too slow and not angry enough.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,152
    cokelogic wrote:

1) The song is a straight up B-side from Riot Act. And there's no real reason why it leaked.

2) Better Days was written during Riot Act, but held over and re-recorded for Avocado (to explain the livelier vocals) and this is an Avocado B-Side.

3) Better Days was written during Riot Act, but held over and re-recorded for Backspacer and now this is part of the EP Mike spoke about last year.

I'm gonna pick No.3 . It must be that tiny icing of the cake what Mike had been speaking about last year, EP a coming!
    cokelogic wrote:

4) Or none of the above.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • clockistotimeclockistotime Los Angeles, CA Posts: 249
    BF25394 wrote:
    Here's what I came up with:

I feel part of the universe open up to meet me
    My emotion so submerged, broken down to kneel in
    Once listening, the voices they came
    Had to somehow greet myself, read myself
    Heard vibrations within my cells, in my cells
    Singing, "Ah-la-ah-ah, ah-la-ah-ah"

My love is safe for the universe
    See me now, I'm bursting
    On one planet, so many turns
    Different worlds
    Singing, "Ah-la-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah, ah"

(Spanish guitar solo)

Fill my heart with discipline
    Put there for the teaching
    In my head see clouds of stairs
    Help me as I'm reaching
    The future's paved with better days

Not running from something
    I'm running towards the day
    Wide awake

A whisper once quiet
    Now rising to a scream
    Right in me

I'm falling, free falling
    Words calling me
    Up off my knees

I'm soaring and, darling,
    You'll be the one that I can need
    Still be free

Our future's paved with better days

here's my take on it that i posted last night with the original post that was deleted.
    our's are very similar, i think maybe 2 or 3 differences. i might like yours more though.
    the more listens, the more i like it even more!

Better Days - eV

i feel part of the universe
    opened up to meet me
    my emotion so submerged
    broken down to kneel in

once listening
    voices they care

we had to somehow to greet myself, read myself
    heard vibrations within myselves, in myselves, singing...

mhahhh ahaa ahhh ahaa

my love is safe for the universe
    see me now i'm bursting
    on one planet, so many turns
    different worlds, singing...

mhahhh ahaa ahhh ahaa

fill my heart with discipline
    put there for the teaching
    in my head see clouds of stairs
    help me as i'm reaching...

the future's paved
    with better daaaaaaaayeeeeyays,
    eeeeee... eeeeee....

not running
    from something
    i'm running
    towards the day, wide a-wake

a whipser
    once quiet
    now arising
    to a scream, arrive in me

i'm falling,
    free falling,
    words calling, me(eeee)....
    up off... my knees.

oh i'm soaring,
    yea i am darlin,
    never be the world,
    that i can need, stay and be free

our future's
    paved with,
    better days...
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    in the dark before the dawn..."
    "i am a donut"
  • rolenrockrolenrock Posts: 312

Better Man is not even a Pearl Jam song.. it was written with Bad Radio and originally released with the band. It was rearranged for Vs. and then held til Vitalogy.. geeeeez haha
    2009: Philly Night 2
    2010: MSG Night 1 and Night 2
    2011: Eddie Vedder Solo in Philly, PJ20 Alpine Valley Day 1 and Day 2.
    2012: Berlin Night 1(7/4)
    2013: Wrigley Field, Philly 1 and 2
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    ...nevermind found it ... songs kinda kicks arse .......hope its from the album Mike was talking about a year ago....
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I just looped it 4X in a row and it sounds very Long Roadish to me. Like the nursat sessions. Spirtitual and very mesmorizing....kind of puts you at ease,,,,,after smoking some kush :mrgreen:
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,467
    It's growing on me now. It's definitely not up to all of the "Oh my god it's the best song I've ever heard" posts on here but it is very, very good.

I think the reason that it never surfaced on a PJ album is that it doesn't actually fit with the moods of Riot Act, Pearl Jam or Backspacer. It would sound out of of place on all of those albums. I think it sounds much more like an Into The Wild recording than a Pearl Jam one.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    How is this thread still around? There were several this morning that all got deleted.

Now that I've heard it though, I hope it's not on the EP that Mike talked about because I want more new songs, now that I've got this one. This band is like a drug.
  • Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    If it is newer it could possibly be a demo. Mike and Jeff both said in seperate interviews recently that they recorded a bunch of demos in the Spring. This would also explain why management would be passing it around to one another now.
    as in Spring 2010?
  • blindmuleblindmule Posts: 138
    I dig the song alot!
    It's got a serious Peter Gabriel vibe to it, haha - I like the buildup, the drums...

I wouldn't seeing this on an album at all. I like this as much, if not more, than some of the stuff on Backspacer.
    :D
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    This song fits in so well with Into the Wild...Does anyone think it might be a song that did not make it onto the soundtrack?
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    This song fits in so well with Into the Wild...Does anyone think it might be a song that did not make it onto the soundtrack?
    You have to wonder how a song called "Better Days" would tie into the actual movie.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011