Unreleased Pearl Jam Song "Better Days" Leaks

Comments

• Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    edited June 2010
    Cool Song!!

If I had to guess I'd say that this is a re-recorded version of a song that's likely been kicking around since the "Riot Act" sessions; possibly someting meant for inclusion on the "Into The Wild" album.

The lyrics certainly compliment the theme of the movie and stylistically speaking, "Into The Wild" is about the only album I could see this song fitting on.

Ed's in fine voice on this one. His vocals are very warm.

I just love the line: "Our Future Road's Paved With Better Days".

The guitar solo is great...but for some reason it doesn't sound like either Mike or Ed.

It's a very different style than something Mike would play, and it's frankly a little beyond Eddie's faculty as a guitar player.

I read somewhere that Ed had recorded with Michael Brook and Kaki King, both of whom wrote the score for "Into The Wild" so this could possibly be something from that collaboration.

Overall...great song.

Nice treat for a rainy Wednesday morning.
    Post edited by Gonzo1977 on
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,028
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Cool Song!!

If I had to guess I'd say that this is a re-recorded version of a song that's likely been kicking around since the "Riot Act" sessions; possibly someting meant for inclusion on the "Into The Wild" album.

The lyrics certainly compliment the theme of the movie and stylistically speaking, "Into The Wild" is about the only album I could see this song fitting on.

Ed's in fine voice on this one. His vocals are very warm.

I just love the line: "Our Future Road's Paved With Better Days".

The guitar solo is great...but for some reason it doesn't sound like either Mike or Ed.

It's a very different style than something Mike would play, and it's frankly a little beyond Eddie's faculty as a guitar player.

I read somewhere that Ed had recorded with Michael Brook and Kaki King, both of whom wrote the score for "Into The Wild" so this could possibly be something from that collaboration.

Overall...great song.

Nice treat for rainy Wednesday morning.

Great post, I agree with everything here.
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    Similar Spanish-style solo to Immortality 2003. I forgot if it was Boston preset or whether it was Benaroya. But very similar. That was Mike for sure.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Mike's SideMike's Side Posts: 954
    Possible track for a new EV album?
    1996 - Ft Lauderdale
    1998 - West Palm Beach 1
    2000 - West Palm Beach 1&2
    2003 - WPB,Tampa,Atlanta,Camden 1&2,MSG 1&2, Boston 3,Hershey Park
    2004 - Asheville, Kissimmee
    2008 - West Palm Beach,Tampa,Columbia,Virginia Beach, Mansfield 1&2
    2010 - Hartford,Boston,Newark, MSG 1&2
    2011 - PJ20 1&2, Costa Rica
    2013 - Wrigley,Brooklyn 1&2,Seattle
    2014 - Denver,Mountain View 1&2
    2015 - Bogata, Mexico City
    2016 - Ft Lauderdale,Miami,Tampa,NYC 1&2,Telluride,Fenway 1&2,Wrigley 1&2

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Ok I'm saying it's an out take from BS or something new, I REALLY don't think it's from riot act because "Our future's paved with better days", not someting ED would have said in 02, also that means it missed riot act AND lost dogs, which makes no sense cus about half the people say "meh" about most rare songs on lost dogs and no ones going "meh". It does seem like into the wild ed solo stuff but the solos pretty intense to be ed, and all of eds lyrics seem to fit perfectly with the movie and Alexs' roads wernt paved with better days, god rest his soul.

BTW this might be my favorite song since thumbing my way and thats saying alot.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    I fn' love this song!!!!!!!!!! Reminds me of "Words out of place" Oh wow!! I want a whole album like this!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,362
    Why dont the mods lock this thread? Everyother thing has been deleted. Is this now ok to post about?
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    The song is just being discussed, there are no links posted to it. I guess it's no big deal.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Never mind- Im going with Into the Wild as well
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • This is unbelivable- amazing track! Will be listening to this all summer for sure!
    RiotZact wrote:
    Ok I'm saying it's an out take from BS or something new, I REALLY don't think it's from riot act because "Our future's paved with better days", not someting ED would have said in 02, also that means it missed riot act AND lost dogs, which makes no sense cus about half the people say "meh" about most rare songs on lost dogs and no ones going "meh". It does seem like into the wild ed solo stuff but the solos pretty intense to be ed, and all of eds lyrics seem to fit perfectly with the movie and Alexs' roads wernt paved with better days, god rest his soul.

It is hard to tell. I hear a little Wasted Reprise in the intro (Self Titled), and I can sense they stole a little bit from Severed Hand (Self titled). That being the "falling" stuff in the lyrics. However, it was revealed that Severed Hand was something conjured up in Riot Act times and refurbished and included in Self titled. I'd narrow it to Riot Act/Self Titled. It's hard to say these lyrics came from the same time as Bu$hleaguer, All or none or Half Full. But maybe that's why it wasn't included?
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
    RiotZact wrote:

It is hard to tell. I hear a little Wasted Reprise in the intro (Self Titled), and I can sense they stole a little bit from Severed Hand (Self titled). That being the "falling" stuff in the lyrics. However, it was revealed that Severed Hand was something conjured up in Riot Act times and refurbished and included in Self titled. I'd narrow it to Riot Act/Self Titled. It's hard to say these lyrics came from the same time as Bu$hleaguer, All or none or Half Full. But maybe that's why it wasn't included?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention self titled, it might be from it, I have it second after new/bs. I'd say it was yield before I'd say it was riot act though, actually I'd say it was ten before I'd say it was riot act :lol:
  • LaddieLaddie Posts: 311
    It's my understanding that this track is definitely from Riot Act.
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    beautiful song...wow
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    This song is awesome. Can't believe this hasn't been released. If it is indeed from Riot Act, I can think of a few songs off that album that could have been left off to make room for this.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    beautiful song...wow

Agreed! I think it's gorgeous! Lyrics and guitar are beautiful.
    Nice little surprise today!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,362
    Laddie wrote:

Any what would your "understanding" be?
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    its good stuff. i'd agree with the majority that says that it is a Backspacer/ITW-ish song, although there are some twinges of Three Fish there as well.

This site

http://web.archive.org/web/200306251716 ... guide.html

does have Better Days listed as during the Riot Act sessions, so maybe it was reworked for Backspacer, or maybe the site is wrong, or maybe the song we are listening to is not actually called Better Days. who knows. all I know is that the song is damn good and that more is (hopefully) on the way
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • JohnnyGeetarJohnnyGeetar Posts: 165
    This may have been written in the Riot Act era, but those are not RA vocals from Ed.

Closer to being sandwiched between ITW and Backspacer fo sho.
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,617
    Laddie wrote:

That is what someone who may or may not have any idea what they are talking about said when the song first came out. But, judging from the vocal performance, I would be, and I think a lot of people would be, shocked if this came from Riot Act. It may have been orgininaly written during Riot Act, but because of Ed's voice and emotion in his voice, it does not seem to fit Riot Act. On Binaural and Riot Act, Ed really didn't get very into his singing, but on this song, he does, so I mean, it could be from Riot Act, but I would be really surprised if we found out that the vocals to this song were recorded anytime between 2000-2002.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    Is it just me who finds it kind of bland?

The music is nice, the voice has that "Eddie from ITW and forward" spin to it that worked on the ITW songs but not really on BS. Warm but rough and a bit strained. And the lyrics are a bit cheesy, like Amongst The Waves and others on BS.

Weaker than any song on ITW in my opinion. But stronger than some stuff on ST and BS.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    would everyone saying riot act please go pop in the showbox dvd and watch the tag at the end of daughter, and check out the "hope didn't get much applause". Unless theres some kind of proof riot act is in last place on my list of albums that this song came from, right after ten.
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Similar Spanish-style solo to Immortality 2003. I forgot if it was Boston preset or whether it was Benaroya. But very similar. That was Mike for sure.

I don't know...

I see what your saying in reference to the Benaroya "Immortality" solo...easily one of my favorite Mike solos...

However...the "Better Days" solo has a very eastern feel to it; which is nothing like anything I've heard Mike play before.

His solos are usually laced with the blues -even in the spanish flavored solo from Benaroya- but there is absolutley no trace of it here.

It's definately not Eddie...so I'd wouldn't be too suprised if it was either Michael Brook or Khaki King on lead guitar; obviously dating this song around the time of "Into The Wild".
  • eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 711
    just found thisNews > Pearl Jam
    Come Listen To A New Pearl Jam Song
    By Skwerl
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010

We’re not exactly sure who Pete is, but he just posted a song online on behalf of Pearl Jam’s manager Kelly Curtis. A Pearl Jam song. An unreleased one. Called Better Days.
    A few minutes ago it was posted here, with the message “Gary, Kelly wanted you to hear this please give it a listen.”

I suppose it wouldn’t hurt if we listened, too.

That’s all we know. Rumor has it this is a b-side from Backspacer… or the self-titled album. No one claims to be sure Riot Act. But we kinda like it.

not sure who she is either but I bet he is on Kelly's shit list now

and I did not post the link so please do not kill my post thank you
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    Laddie wrote:

That is what someone who may or may not have any idea what they are talking about said when the song first came out. But, judging from the vocal performance, I would be, and I think a lot of people would be, shocked if this came from Riot Act. It may have been orgininaly written during Riot Act, but because of Ed's voice and emotion in his voice, it does not seem to fit Riot Act. On Binaural and Riot Act, Ed really didn't get very into his singing, but on this song, he does, so I mean, it could be from Riot Act, but I would be really surprised if we found out that the vocals to this song were recorded anytime between 2000-2002.

I agree about Riot Act and Ed's voice, but Binaural is prolly Ed's most emotional singing.
    Seems to have Brendan o'Brian's feel. A lot of production. My assertion is that it could have been conjured up way back when, but I think it was finished/polished by the current cast of characters.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I like it. Its not the greatest thing in the last 10 years like some are claiming, but it is different. The accordion is a nice touch. I know the Riot Act discussion is because there was some unreleased or unfinished track from then with the same name, but as many have noted, the vocals on this track are definitely not from the Riot Act era.

If this was from Riot Act, then this is even more evidence that the B sides from Riot Act make a far better album than Riot Act itself does.

I like the Spanish solo. Not sure if it is Mike or not, but he could definitely pull that off if he wanted. Sounds like him.

Good song. Very Into the Wild like. I like the upbeat and positive lyrics, but then I love Backspacer and everything about it.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • arqarq Posts: 7,980
    Doesn't matter where it came from, I'M LOVING IT!!! :clap:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    i like it.. the second half is lovely...GO EDDIE! REACH FOR THE STARS!!! :mrgreen:
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    eh... not really that into it... guess that explains why the band shelved it

the drumming and guitar work isnt bad... just overall not a great

hopefully there's more leaks like this to come though :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/