Options

The song that turned you onto PJ

Comments

• Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    Angel......

It was on a bootleg I had at the time....constantly played it!!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    Elderly Woman, only because I was listening to Dave Matthews almost non-stop before that. Right after that, it was when the LO2L version of Elderly Woman was on radio. That radio hit took us into into Last Kiss being played on radio.

Before that, I was hearing Immortality on the radio, but didn't know what it was.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    CaptainBCaptainB Posts: 57
    release, release, release. then one by one, each of the remaining songs on ten. i wore this cd out listening to it while playing the original madden on the sega genesis..... the greatest football game of all time.....except maybe for tecmo bowl:)
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257
    Last Exit.
    Because it is the opener to Vitalogy, which is the first record I got although I had never heard them before. Quite inspired to buy this record that day... It's been 16 years and I have never managed to recover from the addiction!
  • Options
    jfs5-10-10jfs5-10-10 Posts: 326
    Yellow ledbetter. =) cool story, I caught the end of it on the radio and thought it was so incredible. I was also incredibly baked. I knew it was pearl jam but I didn't know the song and just had to find out what it was. I was able to get a hold of the DJ on the phone and he hooked me up.
    Played the hell outta that song. Now they're my favorite band of all time.

Thanks yellow ledbetter. =)
    <b>Your light's reflected now,... reflected from afar...
    We were but stones,... your light made us stars</b>

Buffalo 5-10-10...First PJ show..Life changing..magical..
  • Options
    Black...I heard it on the radio at age 12 back in 1993 and didn't stop bugging my parents to get me PJ memorbilla for holidays from there on.
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • Options
    evenflow and i still really dig it
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    Alive! I 1991 I read an austrian magazine which made ratings of new album releases! I saw an enthusiastic review of a new band called PJ and their debut album Ten! The rating was 5 of 5 stars. That was the reason for me to buy the album and Alive was the song that made me a fan!!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,538
    "Not for You" brought on the obsession.

Radio hits from "Vs." were very good.

"Ten" was an explosion that I didn't know how to handle as a 9 year old. If I was 15, "Jeremy" would have done it.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Black did it for me. I was 18 or 19 when it was released. To this day, I can't turn off the radio in the middle of that song!
    ChloeDancer
  • Options
    Once, on a free cassette (remember those?) with a copy of The NME. Blew me away.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945
    I thought I replied to this thread but apparently I didn't. For me it was Alive! I saw the video on MTV and was hooked.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    ten, right from the beginning. remember seeing the videos on MTV incessantly. Ed climbing up to the rafters.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,936
    Alive
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    Dirty_Frank_DahmerDirty_Frank_Dahmer Albany NY Posts: 4
    Once baited me....... I burned through 3 cassettes of Ten. What hooked me for life was Breath from the Singles soundtrack. I would play and rewind over and over and over. Now almost 20 years later it's still me all time favorite.
    Whooo Hoooo !!!......... It's evolution baby!!!
  • Options
    Alive--14 when the video came out, hooked ever since.
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    even flow video. first time I ever saw/heard them. That was in the spring of 92. I got the album that summer.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    alive. i said to my dad, 'hey i know that song!'
    a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw. delivered him wings, 'hey look at me now!'
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,939
    Deep. I just thought the storytelling was great in that song and made me pay attention to the rest of the lyrics on Ten, especially Black and Release. Felt like somebody had made that album for me, like they knew me. Was pretty incredible and still is.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,893
    I was 11 when Ten came out. Alive, Jeremy, and Even Flow sold me.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    This sounds so cliche' but I gotta go with "Alive".
  • Options
    The first song I heard was in 1992. A friend lent me a cassette of Ten. It was ready to play at the start of side B. So whatever the 1st song of side B is.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • Options
    Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I was with my friend driving around smoking a fat doobie and he put on black, I think the cd was no fucking messiah.
    I'll be back
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,719
    Heard Go and instantly was hooked
  • Options
    my first ever concert was in Melbourne 98. They opened with "Release" and it absolutley blew me away!!!
    ive been hooked ever since :D
  • Options
    First song that got my attention?....Jeremy, went out and bought ten (hey I was 10 when ten came out haha) listened to that album over and over and lined my bedroom walls with posters-I was hooked from the get go........song that got me hooked? - WHY GO
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    Cannot remember the year .
    but it was when the boys won all the awards for Jeremy.
    I was at the time listening to Neil, Zeplin, floyd etc nothing modern was grabbing me at all. and basically ignored the grunge thang as being for da kids
    at the end of the night they closed with Neil doin Rocking in the free world. It blew me away. you could see the energy these guys had. you could see how pumped they were playing with unkie neil.
    bought 10 a few days later

How many times I drove the roads near home, volume up . screaming along .tears streaming . They fully connected with where I was at the time. I felt like I could (nif I had the talent) have written those words.
    all the way through to now
    IT STILL CONNECTS
    thanks pearl jam for the company, thanks for my own personel soundtrack.
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Heard Alive on the radio, liked it

Got the Singles soundtrack and heard SOLAT, liked it even more

Bought Vs. and heard RVM, loved it

Hook, line, and sinker.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,853
    Alive....the video. Saw it on MTV back when they played videos (and back when I watched MTV). The song rocked my world me as did a lead singer in a Jordan jersey hanging upside down from the rafters. A buddy (Steve Miller to be exact. I'm forever indebted ;) ) played the CD for me shortly thereafter, I went out and bought my own a copy the next day and the rest, as they say, is history.

As an aside...anyone remember if Alive was originally aired as part of MTV's "Buzzbin" collection? You know, those up-and-comer bands whose videos they fluffed a little extra? Seems like it was but I can't remember.