Options

The song that turned you onto PJ

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    i remember hearing Even Flow & being blown away. my sister sent me a mixtape from college & she put PJ on there b/c she knew that i really like Soundgarden. then i saw them on unplugged & was hooked. Porch absolutely blew me away, as did Black. i went out & bought the tape the next day.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    wolkenloswolkenlos Posts: 591
    I got Ten as a present a few years back (because the person had the album since the 90s and didn't liked the music!!! OMG!), had it on my mp3 player and listened quite often to it, but you know... on the way and stuff, it was always just like background music and I didn't thought much about it. I think Even Flow was my favorite tune... but also loved Alive, Once, Jeremy, Deep ....
    Then one day I sat at home and wanted to sing a little bit to some songs, so I searched for the lyrics and imported them to my itunes. Started with Once and read my way through the whole lyrics of this album.
    I looooved it. And then came Black and I was so blown away. :) Those emotions and wonderful words, that was the day I started listen to Pearl Jam nonstop. I bought all other studio albums in the next 2-3 weeks I think. Couldn't listened to other music for some weeks. I mean absolutely no other music, just the thought of not hearing Eddie's voice creeped me out :D

Oh my god...we are all freaks, aren't we? :)
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    "Turn these Lights out Josh!!!"
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    i_lov_it wrote:
    "Turn these Lights out Josh!!!".......After that I was *Hooked*...:)

that's great!! love that rant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1bxH4O0g4Q&feature=fvst
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,920
    wolkenlos wrote:
    Oh my god...we are all freaks, aren't we? :)

Must be a better word or term then calling the Pearl Jam fan's 'freaks'. Maybe jamheads or tenheads.
    Something! lol
  • Options
    I was born in 95, World Wide Suicide got my attention a little after it came out. Also liked Jeremy, Wishlist, Last Kiss, Better Man, and GTF. Yellow Ledbetter is what solidified it for me though.
    Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire?

I'll not lose my faith, it's an inside job today

St. Louis 5/4/10 Hope for many more!
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    saw an ad for their concert in jersey. i was 14 at the time so i pretty much just wanted to go to any concert that a band was playing at in the area. i looked at their band photo, thought "hmph, they look pretty cool. i think i've heard some good things about them." purchase vs. from amazon.com, get it four days later, pop it into the cd drive and got hooked by "go."
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    I would say "Jeremy" MTV Video Awards '92 :o

Saw this in Colombia, South America I was 13... no PJ on radio at that time in that part of the world... the energy (Dave on Drums shiiiiiiiiiiiit), the way they dressed, and honestly Stone jumping in circles blew my mind... :shock:

then saw Even Flow video and that's it I have been around here since then (not in the fan club that happens when I moved to USA 7 yrs ago)... It's been 17 years of great music... :clap: when I watch that video is like flying to a magical place, where I learn a lot of the music and that's why I love this band... Every record has some meaning and evolves like every one of us... :thumbup:
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • Options
    Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    I always thought they were pretty good, but Bugs took things to a whole other level.
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Light Years in 2000 + saw them live in Manchester England for the first time from the mosh pit. I did think I was going to die but the moments when I didn't were awesome!!!
  • Options
    I would have to say it was Daughter.
    I was 13 and I remember I borrowed Vs from a friend and played it over and over. I remember I used to call my mom and tell her "Mom listen to this song, isnt it cool?!"

Jam-Head for life! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Jeremy Video, i was literally like "Nirvana Ru.... ohh who's this?"
  • Options
    Corduroy from Live On Two Legs

+10000

What a sick version of Corduroy - probably my favorite song to jam and sing when driving.
  • Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    Daughter around 96-97 after reading Dennis Rodman's book. Then bought Yield when it came out and was really hooked.
  • Options
    Better Man
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    May 2008, 15 years old: Heard Jeremy for the first time, and basically was like 'Holy crap...who is this?' I was amazed. And in short, the rest is history...
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Garden
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,587
    the evenflow video is the first i remember
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    medSEAfan7medSEAfan7 Posts: 77
    Been a fan since the beginning, generally liking anything that came off of Ten (at the ripe old age of 8) and the moment I knew I would forever be a fan was when I saw the Even Flow video on MTV. I can still remember that first time I saw it, I was completely mesmorized!
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Not For You
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    GTOGTO Posts: 8
    Summer 2007, I was staring at my CDs and thought "What I really need is some good, straight-ahead, American rock and roll." I'm not sure why, but the first band that popped into my head was Pearl Jam.

Went out to the record store (yep, I still go to record stores) and decided I'd get their most recent (Avocado, although I refer to it as Guac at my house), and one I'd never heard of before (Yield).
    The song that really did it for me was Unemployable. It sounds like the best song ever about cars and girls and summer, but when I got around to reading the lyrics I realized it was about far more important stuff than that.

I've felt like a 14 year old girl at a Beatles show ever since. It's not that I don't listen to other bands, it's that I've been listening to PJ at least once a day since. That's not something I could say about any other band, ever.
    You should see what I'm picking up on the road - one fantasy after another.
  • Options
    1996 i was way into smashing pumpkins , my cousin gave me his copy of NoCode it looked interesting. i was amazed.. got rid of all my pumpkins cds and bought every PJ cd i could find i was only 11 when yield was released that just solidified my love for this band
    05 - St. Johns I II
    06 - Toronto I II
    08 - DC NYC I II
    09 - Calgary Toronto
    11 - Calgary Edmonton
    13 - Calgary

Openers : Cant Keep, Small Town, Severed Hand, Release X3, Hard to Imagine X2, Why Go, Of the Girl X2, Wash,.......
  • Options
    thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    Rearviewmirror. Hear it on the radio and I was hooked. I originally didn't like PJ's older stuff because I thought it was too slow. I also liked World Wide Suicide when it came out, and that's what got me to start looking into Pearl Jam. I really wanted to go to a Pearl Jam show, but I had missed the Gorge shows and was annoying the Pearl Jam nor EV did another Seattle show until late 2009.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    "Better Days" :lol::lol:

Actually...it was "Alive"
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    1996 i was way into smashing pumpkins , my cousin gave me his copy of NoCode it looked interesting. i was amazed.. got rid of all my pumpkins cds and bought every PJ cd i could find i was only 11 when yield was released that just solidified my love for this band

But Mellon Collie came out the next year? :? oh right, sorry forgot what website i was on.
    Good Move.
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    it was definitely Yellow Ledbetter for me!

Me as well. Even though I owned a cassette of Ten back in the day (I was only 9) I never knew who sang "box or a bag." :oops: Hadta ask someone and then my life was taken over by PJ.
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,002
    BLACK
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    porch or alive- i dont remember
  • Options
    AndoAndo Denver Posts: 410
    We had a foriegn exchange student living with my Aunt and for Xmas he got VS. He kept it going most of the night and it was just different then anything i had heard. I loved it and went out to buy it the next day.
  • Options
    hmm.I guess the whole VS. Album, but if I had to pick one song-Glorified G