Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    RoughMixRoughMix back of a lorry Posts: 385
    edited April 2012
    I played Harbour Town a few years ago.It was fantastic.Greens are so small.
    Post edited by RoughMix on
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Son and I played a quick 9 this morning...........I shot 8 over! D'oh!
    Nothing wrong with that. Very nice.
    #FHP
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Big tournament this weekend at Quail Hollow
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,789
    Today....I learned to putt.

And ya know what I've been doing wrong all these years? TAKING MY EYE OF THE BALL. Sounds so obvious right? Of course I would never do this while swinging a regular club. But my father noticed that I might be watching the PUTTER on the backstroke and not the BALL on putts. And sure enough, he was right! This revelation will shave at least 6 strokes off my game per round. At least..
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

And ya know what I've been doing wrong all these years? TAKING MY EYE OF THE BALL. Sounds so obvious right? Of course I would never do this while swinging a regular club. But my father noticed that I might be watching the PUTTER on the backstroke and not the BALL on putts. And sure enough, he was right! This revelation will shave at least 6 strokes off my game per round. At least..

i can't find it but i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that jack nicklaus watches the putter on the backstroke...or that could've been a flashback :? ;)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,789
    norm wrote:

i can't find it but i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that jack nicklaus watches the putter on the backstroke...or that could've been a flashback :? ;)

This could very much be true. But I'm no Jack Nicklaus and watching the putter has caused me to pull/push putts for way too long.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    kinda funny...when tiger finished his round, it looked like he would miss the cut...well, the guys that are still finishing their rounds are folding like cheap paper bags and there is now a chance he could make the cut...good thing the private jet is always available :lol:
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    so, can anyone tell me why golf inducts people into the hall of fame prior to their retirement? phil isnt retired is he?

secondly, i dont think tiger will ever win a major again, and his regular tour wins will be sporadic. Clearly, the idea that he was "back" after that win a few months ago, was of course fantasy. Clearly winning a non major event wasnt the same as winning a major, and it certainly didnt help him play well at the masters. Clearly, something has changed. Whether its age, or his swing, or his mental and emotional state, or just better players coming in and no one really being afraid of him like they were in 2000. Maybe its all those things. Ive said it before, but what i admire about folks like Jordan and Kobe, and Tiger pre 2009, is this almost maniacal drive these guys have or had. that every time someone says "you cant do that" they make it their mission to prove that person wrong. I view that as an important trait to have. i like to think i have that as well, and will try and do the same throughout my life in whatever field or career i choose.

However, tiger post scandal, seems unable to push through that, This drive that consumed him, when everyone said "a biracial kid cant play golf", or "golf is for rich white men", or "your just an amateur you wont win a major", or "you wont win the masters". Or you wont win more than one major. Tiger pre 2009 seemed to take all those statements and just let them fuel his fire. I admire that more than I can express. But in 2012, he seems unwilling or unable to get back to how dominant he was in 2012. At this point he cant even win a major, and seems unable to win anything, major or not. 1 win in 2 plus years? thats hardly a good record, let alone the fact its not even a major.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,593
    Heading out for my first round of the yr in a couple of hours, little excited and a little rusty :lol: Hope alll goes fairly decently and I don't pull anything, muscles included :lol:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Options
    Finally hitting the links this week (a few times, hopefully)

Also, nice win by Bieber today over Rory and D.A. Kid has a bright future ahead of him and I think it showed a lot that it was Rory he beat in the playoff. 10-15 years from now these two might be going head to head at majors.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,593
    Well the round was good as it can get for the first time out, swing is still as bad as a rusty gate :lol:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Options
    johnny miller blows

that is all...now, back to the players :P
  • Options
    oh, and...

what the fuck, kevin na? :? :? :shock:
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    threw up a 48 (on 9 holes) at Saratoga Spa State Park Golf Course in New York and 95 at Pine Ridge in Towson my handicap is going to be way down for my tournament against my friends on Father's Day weekend...I could be paying for Father's Day Dinner unless I really bring it. My major hope? Post a BIG score here http://www.cdaresort.com/golf two monday's from now. I can't wait to take a boat to the green!
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    glad to see Fowler is sporting a Dirty Sanchez. Fits the rest of his fashion sense.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    glad to see Fowler is sporting a Dirty Sanchez. Fits the rest of his fashion sense.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    #FHP
  • Options

he's got the 'dirtbag' look down
  • Options
    Fowler looks like an extra on the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

It was excruciating watching Kevin Na go through that crap yesterday.

I want Kuch-dog today.
  • Options
    great win for kuch!
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    norm wrote:
    great win for kuch!
    yep, that bird on 16 really helped alleviate the pressure of 17-18. Great tourney this year, but unfortanately it was the first time in I dont know how long that I wasnt able to make it out there for a day or two
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    anyone else hitting the links this week? i've got two lined up Mt. Pleasant in B'more, and University of Illinois Orange Course. Hoping to get 20 rounds in this year, already at 5.
  • Options
    Played twice this weekend. Shot 84 with 2 birdies at a difficult private course south of Boston on Thursday, then followed it up with a 39 (9 holes) with 2 more birdies at a public course on Cape Cod Saturday. I'll be shocked if I can keep up my pace of one birdie every 6.75 holes, but I'm very pleased with my play so far this season.
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    RW81233 wrote:
    anyone else hitting the links this week? i've got two lined up Mt. Pleasant in B'more, and University of Illinois Orange Course. Hoping to get 20 rounds in this year, already at 5.

I typically play 75-85 rounds a year and my next round will be #20 and thanks to the mild winter all have been played in
    NY/NJ.
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Played twice this weekend. Shot 84 with 2 birdies at a difficult private course south of Boston on Thursday, then followed it up with a 39 (9 holes) with 2 more birdies at a public course on Cape Cod Saturday. I'll be shocked if I can keep up my pace of one birdie every 6.75 holes, but I'm very pleased with my play so far this season.

That's awesome I can't freaking buy a birdie lately haven't made one in 10 rounds. I played yesterday went 40/42 with 10 pars but cant seem to get anything to drop.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Took my 6 year old out Friday to an executive course near our place. I've had him out with me before on a "real" course, but just to hit tee shots and hit into the green from less than 50 in.

We get to the 12 or 13th hole at this exec course and it's 84 yards from the short tees. He blasts this drive pin high about a foot off the green. Dude was all pumped up. He said he wanted a par - obviously would be his first. Duffs the chip, chips through the green. Gets on and probably 4 putts. I told him, "way to blow a great drive, you play just like your old man" :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Took my 6 year old out Friday to an executive course near our place. I've had him out with me before on a "real" course, but just to hit tee shots and hit into the green from less than 50 in.

We get to the 12 or 13th hole at this exec course and it's 84 yards from the short tees. He blasts this drive pin high about a foot off the green. Dude was all pumped up. He said he wanted a par - obviously would be his first. Duffs the chip, chips through the green. Gets on and probably 4 putts. I told him, "way to blow a great drive, you play just like your old man" :lol:
    Great story. That's awesome. He'll have his short game down by 9.
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:

I typically play 75-85 rounds a year and my next round will be #20 and thanks to the mild winter all have been played in
    NY/NJ.
    damn that's a legit season of golf...i thought i was lucky getting away with 20! well good luck on the links everyone.