Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    Get_Right said:
    Yeah I was rooting against him. I had some money on Rory winning and then I also had Morakowa with a top 5. How about those two chip ins though? Pretty awesome

Awesome is right!  I also loved watching complete rounds, with no commercials on masters.com. Watched Tiger's complete round on Thursday and Rory on Sunday.  Fantastic seeing the entire round in sequence rather the selected shots on CBS.  CBS is almost unwatchable because the broadcast is so scripted. 
    Yeah I did that the first couple days on espn+. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,742
    Morgan Hoffmann back playing.  This guy's story is wild.  There's a link to the long form story Golf Digest did with him in this article...definitely worth a read.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/morgan-hoffmann-returns-to-pga-tour-muscular-dystrophy-rbc-heritage-alternative-medicine
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 632
    edited April 2022
    That's a great article.  Love the info about non-traditional treatments.  Hanging out in Costa Rica sounds nice right about now.  Rooting for him.

Edit: the full Dan Rapaport article link is here: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/morgan-hoffmann-costa-rica-muscular-dystrophy 

Post edited by ddeschler on
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Read that a couple months ago too.  I remember him talking about the early stages of his diagnosis on No Laying Up and how he was just different from a lot of the guys.  Had his own prop plane to get around and all.  Interesting guy.  Obviously think some of his health methods are out there, but hey, he's playing on the PGA tour with a degenerative condition and I am typing this.

Steep road ahead. Think I saw he needs to go T2-T2-T2 in his medical exemptions to keep his card.  Tough time seeing that happen and wondering what he'll do if he doesn't get it.  With his condition will he grind it on the Korn Ferry?

Also, pretty deep article on Willy Wilcox and his drug use this week...another pretty crazy story.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Tiger Woods Commits to Playing in JP McManus Pro-Am Ahead of 2022 Open Championship | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

I'm going to be 1 hour away from Adare Manor when this pro-am happens and then will be playing Adare Manor 3 days after.  This is so cool. I've put in for a ticket but we'll see if I bid enough.  Would be a neat experience to walk the course and follow all these greats knowing 3 days later I'll be playing it too.  Ryder Cup course too in 2027
  • Options
    ^That is good news.

Got out yesterday. First real round of the year. Shot an 89 with a 41 on the back nine. That was pretty encouraging. First league round set up for tomorrow too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wow, great first round of the year!  My first round I topped three drives off the first tee (all three going less than 5 feet) and picked up the ball and dropped in the fairway.  
  • Options
    Wow, great first round of the year!  My first round I topped three drives off the first tee (all three going less than 5 feet) and picked up the ball and dropped in the fairway.  
    Haha

I'm normally up to about 4 rounds or so by this point. Instead this year I've put in more time at the range. So I was much better off the tee, but a lot worse around the green than I normally am. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited April 2022
    Tiger Woods Commits to Playing in JP McManus Pro-Am Ahead of 2022 Open Championship | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

I'm going to be 1 hour away from Adare Manor when this pro-am happens and then will be playing Adare Manor 3 days after.  This is so cool. I've put in for a ticket but we'll see if I bid enough.  Would be a neat experience to walk the course and follow all these greats knowing 3 days later I'll be playing it too.  Ryder Cup course too in 2027
    Lahinch before Adare?

Congrats on shelling out for Adare. There's a reason they got the Ryder Cup. McManus has invested tens of millions in the course. They have a similar air system to Augusta on the greens. Owner where I work is a member and invites a few us down throughout the summer. (I've had to decline bc of my back.) The Asst Pro took a few videos putting on the Tee Box. They're better than most course's greens. Enjoy. 

I'll keep an eye out for tickets for the Pro Am for you.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    Ouch!

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    I bought a Stealth this year and it took some time to tweak it but now I think I have it dialed in.  It was really frustrating.  I was hitting a 12 degree TM SLDR for years and I would drive it about 260 to 270.  Got the Stealth and immediately was hitting it 220.  No further.  I was furious.  I lofted it up and down to no avail.  Mis-hit it too.  Then I realized it was 1/2" longer than my SLDR.  I cut it back 1/2" to control my arc and I was back to about 240 at 10.5.  Lowered it to 9 and now I am hitting 260 yard bullets with 20-30 yards of roll on a dry day.  And it's way easier to control.  I was ready to throw it away 10 days ago and now I'm thrilled. 
  • Options
    eddiec said:

Lahinch before Adare?

Congrats on shelling out for Adare. There's a reason they got the Ryder Cup. McManus has invested tens of millions in the course. They have a similar air system to Augusta on the greens. Owner where I work is a member and invites a few us down throughout the summer. (I've had to decline bc of my back.) The Asst Pro took a few videos putting on the Tee Box. They're better than most course's greens. Enjoy. 

I'll keep an eye out for tickets for the Pro Am for you.
    Thanks!  Yes, have tee times at Lahinch both days.   My brother can’t join me like it was planned for last year so have two prepaid tee times to use. Ballybunion is on the 6th and 7th.  Can’t wait.   Gonna be exhausting. 11 rounds in 10 days.  Circling the island.
  • Options
    That’s amazing. I don’t know the entire deal with adare, but it looks completely fucking outrageous 
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited April 2022
    That’s amazing. I don’t know the entire deal with adare, but it looks completely fucking outrageous 
    When you pay a green fee, your guest bag tag is engraved. (I erased some of the Pro's name.)

Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    Hit what was probably the best shot of my life yesterday.  Long par 4 and had 210 left into the wind.  Hit a 4 iron to about 3 feet and hit the birdie putt.  So happy golf season is finally here!
  • Options
    Came in 3rd place in my tournament yesterday. Top 3 get a little cash. Had two clutch pars on 17 and 18 to make it happen too. 

Really glad I joined this league. Nice to get those competitive juices flowing for the first time in a long time. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,928
    Played my first round in a month yesterday. Shot 81 with 3 double bogeys. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Came in 3rd place in my tournament yesterday. Top 3 get a little cash. Had two clutch pars on 17 and 18 to make it happen too. 

Really glad I joined this league. Nice to get those competitive juices flowing for the first time in a long time. 
    Great finish. Always more fun to have some wager but I've never played in a tournament (other than stupid scrambles).  

JojoRice said:
    Played my first round in a month yesterday. Shot 81 with 3 double bogeys. 
    Nice!  

I have yet to play 18 holes this year. I've decide to prioritize practice over play until my golf trip in June.  Saves time (practice 2 hours instead of playing 4 hours) and get a lot more reps.  Will still try to get 4-5 holes in though every once in a while.  
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Found out I won my bid to get a ticket.  Paid about 4X cost but such a unique experience.  Cannot wait!
  • Options
    Shipnuck's book about Phil is going to be wild.  $40M in gambling losses over a 4 year period?!?  Already have it pre-ordered

https://firepitcollective.com/the-multitudes-within-mickelson/
  • Options
    Shipnuck's book about Phil is going to be wild.  $40M in gambling losses over a 4 year period?!?  Already have it pre-ordered

Wow.  Gonna be interesting. 
  • Options

It's going to be so good, though I do kinda feel for Phil.  Clearly a public figure, but a lot of embarrassing stuff. He's just human.  Then again, the the Bones stuff is rough and scummy. He stiffed him?  Assume he's been paid since, but would be much worse than what Kuchar did in Mexico.

This is incredible though...

Then he had to cover his plane and mansion(s), plus his agent, caddie, pilots, chef, personal trainer, swing coaches and sundry others. Throw in all the other expenses of a big life—like an actual T. Rex skull for a birthday present

• Options
    Yeah the stuff with Bones was really surprising to read.  Owing his caddy several hundred thousand???  Just brutal.

A T-Rex skull....that's some Nicolas Cage type of shit. 
  • Options
    Yeah I will definitely be reading that one
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Looks like Sergio is gonna jump over to LIV
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Looks like Sergio is gonna jump over to LIV
    Sounds like it’s gonna be the senior European tour. 

Also, the less I have to watch Sergio complain the better. Fuck that guy
  • Options
    Sergio has always been a whiny little bitch.  Have fun with the Saudis.  They're very tolerant people so I'm sure they'll let him look for his ball however long he wants!
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 632
    They DQ'd Sergio at the 2019 Saudi Invitational for damaging their course.  2nd offense is loss of limb.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    Strapped by no laying up is as good good content that exists 
  • Options
    Strapped by no laying up is as good good content that exists 
    I really liked Old South.  I would play that over most Hilton Head courses.