Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I got the job in Jacksonville FL. Moving in a few weeks.

And I love match play as well. What turns you off of this one?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,607
    bflynn1 said:
    I got the job in Jacksonville FL. Moving in a few weeks.

And I love match play as well. What turns you off of this one?
    Awesome. Congratulations! 

The first couple rounds are great but it gets so slow on the weekend, especially Sunday. The course is pretty though 
  • Options
    Today was fun. Was home with a sick baby so got to watch a bit

Why are they using “tied” over all square or halved?
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394

It was part of the USGA rule changes. Very stupid if you ask me.
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:

So they got literally nothing right with the new rules
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    bflynn1 said:

LOL.  I was wondering that when I was watching yesterday.  So silly.

I like this tournament....change it up from the usual.  I like that they're doing different things like this and then the team event for the Zurich.
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:

I like this tournament....change it up from the usual.  I like that they're doing different things like this and then the team event for the Zurich.
    So dumb.

I do like the early parts of this tournament, but I am usually stuck at work.  Come Sunday it's just so slow since there is so little golf being played.  
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:

So dumb.

I do like the early parts of this tournament, but I am usually stuck at work.  Come Sunday it's just so slow since there is so little golf being played.  
    PGA Tour Live with great coverage of this tournament.....that's such a great subscription service.

Yeah it is a little strange on Sunday when there's only 4 guys playing.
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:

So dumb.

PGA Tour Live with great coverage of this tournament.....that's such a great subscription service.

Yeah, I get PGA tour live and love being able to get it on the TV through the NBC sports app. Obviously also gold while I am at work.  I was actually not going to get it this year since it looked like the cost went up with the switch to NBC Sports Golf or whatever, but then I was auto-renewed at the old price, or a couple bucks more, so whatever.  Glad to have it.
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:

So dumb.

Yeah, I get PGA tour live and love being able to get it on the TV through the NBC sports app. Obviously also gold while I am at work.  I was actually not going to get it this year since it looked like the cost went up with the switch to NBC Sports Golf or whatever, but then I was auto-renewed at the old price, or a couple bucks more, so whatever.  Glad to have it.
    Yeah same thing happened with me.  Could have renewed it for $50 for the year but forgot to do it in time so instead going to pay $10/month like an idiot.  Oh well...I work at home so I watch it a ton so well worth it.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Match play is fantastic. I like watching it and I like playing it. Such a great change of pace from stroke play and a totally different approach to the game. 
  • Options
    OK now it's really getting annoying that they are calling it a "tie".  What the hell was wrong with all square and halved matches???
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Rory vs Tiger tomorrow, can’t beat that.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    edited March 2019
    OK now it's really getting annoying that they are calling it a "tie".  What the hell was wrong with all square and halved matches???

If match play was invented today for the first time, would you call them "all square" after they both get pars on the first hole, or would you say they are "tied" after the first hole?    They are just removing some of the elitism from the game by using terminology that normal people use.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

If match play was invented today for the first time, would you could them "all square" after they both get pars on the first hole, or would you say they are "tied" after the first hole?    They are just removing some of the elitism from the game but using terminology that normal people use.
    If golf was invented today, would a person in the world be interested?
  • Options
    Tomorrow mornings match is going to be unfuckingreal, buuuut in terms of the masters, crazy to think tiger is better off losing? He does not need that hype or playing this much golf

meanwhile, i’ll be at the zoo with my daughter

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559

If match play was invented today for the first time, would you could them "all square" after they both get pars on the first hole, or would you say they are "tied" after the first hole?    They are just removing some of the elitism from the game but using terminology that normal people use.
    If golf was invented today, would a person in the world be interested?
    That is a good question. 
  • Options
    Louis, Kisner, Casey, Grace, Bjerregaard, Rory are all advancing today
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    Tomorrow mornings match is going to be unfuckingreal, buuuut in terms of the masters, crazy to think tiger is better off losing? He does not need that hype or playing this much golf

meanwhile, i’ll be at the zoo with my daughter

Nice day for it at least. I'm stuck in the office for most of the day. 

What time do the second matches start?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Match play is fantastic. I like watching it and I like playing it. Such a great change of pace from stroke play and a totally different approach to the game. 
    Do you still keep your regular strokes scores too? The few times I've played this way with my friends, I usually end up caring about my own personal score just as much as the match score by the time the back 9 rolls around. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    bbiggs said:
    Do you still keep your regular strokes scores too? The few times I've played this way with my friends, I usually end up caring about my own personal score just as much as the match score by the time the back 9 rolls around. 
    I always do because I log my scores in an app to calculate my handicap. Scores tend to skew lower though because maybe your opponent might concede an long putt that you never would have made, because they've already hit two out-of-bounds and just want to move on to the next hole. 

I'm playing my first round of the year this afternoon with my father. He's played like 10 rounds already because he took a vacation down south in February, while I haven't touched a club since September. I may be the one conceding holes today. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    I always do because I log my scores in an app to calculate my handicap. Scores tend to skew lower though because maybe your opponent might concede an long putt that you never would have made, because they've already hit two out-of-bounds and just want to move on to the next hole. 

I'm playing my first round of the year this afternoon with my father. He's played like 10 rounds already because he took a vacation down south in February, while I haven't touched a club since September. I may be the one conceding holes today. 
    Are you allowed to post scores from a match play round?
  • Options
    What app do you use? I use one that's just called Handicap
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I do diablo. Obviously not an official handicap
  • Options
    I think it’s bullshit you can’t post scores from solo rounds anymore. USGA has really fucked up their rule changes. If you post a bullshit score, you’re only hurting yourself 
  • Options
    Bjerre over Woods ftw
    Central Park 15

• Options

If match play was invented today for the first time, would you call them "all square" after they both get pars on the first hole, or would you say they are "tied" after the first hole?    They are just removing some of the elitism from the game by using terminology that normal people use.
    Using that thought process, tennis would remove “deuce” and “love” from the terminology. I don’t play tennis, but that would seem odd. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Definitely keep score as well.  The match play is more side bet stuff. Lot of fun though. 
  • Options
    Bjerre over Woods ftw
    Oh yeah, bye Tiger.
    Central Park 15

• Options
    Horrible putt. In the back of his head, he knew losing was a good idea for 2 weeks from now