Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Who's ready for a +2 winner in England this June? Yeah, we got the Players Championship coming up next month, but focus is already being directed to Royal St. George's.

there's also that little tourney in june...i think it's an open of some sort ;)
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    norm wrote:
    Who's ready for a +2 winner in England this June? Yeah, we got the Players Championship coming up next month, but focus is already being directed to Royal St. George's.

My mistake norm. I'm an idiot. June is our Open, July is their Open. Congressional will be fun too. My early prediction? AKim

We gotta get some sort of pool going on here for the two Opens. How bout this? We each offer up a logo ball from our home course and whoever wins gets all the balls. That might be fun right?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    My mistake norm. I'm an idiot. June is our Open, July is their Open. Congressional will be fun too. My early prediction? AKim

We gotta get some sort of pool going on here for the two Opens. How bout this? We each offer up a logo ball from our home course and whoever wins gets all the balls. That might be fun right?

if you guys are interested ... there's a guy that runs a series of pools ... golf being one of them and he'll regularly get over 350 entries ... first place is like $4,000 ... portion of the money going to charity ... he accepts people from all over as he used to work in banking ... i could send you his email and you guys are on your own to enter and pay him ...

it's a pretty cool pool in that you pick from a list based on various categories (pts awarded based on placing) ... then you have to pick from the same list who won't make the cut ...
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    polaris_x wrote:

if you guys are interested ... there's a guy that runs a series of pools ... golf being one of them and he'll regularly get over 350 entries ... first place is like $4,000 ... portion of the money going to charity ... he accepts people from all over as he used to work in banking ... i could send you his email and you guys are on your own to enter and pay him ...

it's a pretty cool pool in that you pick from a list based on various categories (pts awarded based on placing) ... then you have to pick from the same list who won't make the cut ...

I would get in on that pool.
  • Options
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Wow. He's an idiot. There's no place in the game for that kind of stuff unless you're John Daly.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    eddiec wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I would get in on that pool.

i'll pm ya when i get the entry form ...
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    norm wrote:

I'd be down for some kind of pool.
    #FHP
  • Options
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    norm wrote:
    Yeah...
    Thats a real shame.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    norm wrote:
    RIP

I always loved watching Seve back in the 80s and 90s. I'm quite a hacker and it was always fun to see him play out of some of the spots he would get himself into, similar to the spots that I'm always getting myself into.
    #FHP
  • Options
    D.E.P. Seve! guy was a genius! he and nick faldo were the two guys who really got me watching golf when I was younger. thanks for the good times seve!
    Keep on Jammin' in the Free World!

Stockholm '00 ~~ Columbus '03 ~~ NYC-1 '03 ~~ Boston '04 ~~ Borgata'05 ~~ Cincinnati '06 ~~ Hawaii-2 '06 ~~ Bonnaroo '08 ~~ Chicago-1 '09 ~~ Philly-3&4 '09 ~~ Columbus '10 ~~ Dublin '10 ~~ Belfast '10 ~~ London '10 ~~ Berlin '10
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    I got a job, mowing the rough at this place:

http://www.slcountygolf.slco.org/cOldMill/index.html

great job for a slacker like me :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    I got a job, mowing the rough at this place:

http://www.slcountygolf.slco.org/cOldMill/index.html

great job for a slacker like me :mrgreen:

great way to spend the summer!! with any luck you'll be the next carl spackler, so you know, you got that going for you, which is nice! :lol:

Stockholm '00 ~~ Columbus '03 ~~ NYC-1 '03 ~~ Boston '04 ~~ Borgata'05 ~~ Cincinnati '06 ~~ Hawaii-2 '06 ~~ Bonnaroo '08 ~~ Chicago-1 '09 ~~ Philly-3&4 '09 ~~ Columbus '10 ~~ Dublin '10 ~~ Belfast '10 ~~ London '10 ~~ Berlin '10
  • Options
    Chinch bugs. Manganese. Most people don't even know what that is.
  • Options
    Chinch bugs. Manganese. Most people don't even know what that is.

well played ff

• Options
    Great win and great beard for Lucas Glover. Guess he's not a one hit wonder. That playoff was pretty cool too against his former Clemson teammate Jonathan Byrd.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    Great win and great beard for Lucas Glover. Guess he's not a one hit wonder. That playoff was pretty cool too against his former Clemson teammate Jonathan Byrd.

Great beard, looks like a playoff beard. Great win. Couldn't believe Byrd birdied the 18th to send it to a playoff.
  • Options
    eddiec wrote:

Great beard, looks like a playoff beard. Great win. Couldn't believe Byrd birdied the 18th to send it to a playoff.

+1

• Options
    tiger withdrew from the players citing knee probs :think:

is tiger done? i've assumed he would come back but i'm starting to wonder if he will
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    airhorn.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    don't get me started on that nonsense
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    norm wrote:

is tiger done? i've assumed he would come back but i'm starting to wonder if he will

Starting to look like it. That left leg is just about done it seems. Sad way to end such a great career. Been a lot of fun to watch him play.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Starting to look like it. That left leg is just about done it seems. Sad way to end such a great career. Been a lot of fun to watch him play.

but is it the knee? i'm thinking it's more mental...all you have to look at the 08 us open to see that he can play through any pain

it just shocks me that the guy that was one of the best at the mental part of the game has lost it
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

but is it the knee? i'm thinking it's more mental...all you have to look at the 08 us open to see that he can play through any pain

it just shocks me that the guy that was one of the best at the mental part of the game has lost it

Its probably partially mental but I do think his leg/knee are a big part of it. He has had 4 surgeries on the knee and it just seems to be getting worse. Agreed about the 08 open but I think this is a bit different from what I read. In 08 it was just broken/fractured, right? it seems to be more structure issues now. I dont know. I definitely think he has lost a lot of the mental edge he had but the guy is clearly in pain.
  • Options
    But the thing about Tiger, the thing that made him Tiger Woods — and this has been said a million times, but it's true — is that he was the greatest grinder in the history of golf, or right up there with Ben Hogan and Bill Britton. But since returning to the Tour at the 2010 Masters, after his brief hiatus following his Thanksgiving 2009 "fire hydrant" debacle, we haven't seen his old grinding ways.

On Golf Channel, Brandel Chamblee's analysis of Tiger's problems was incredibly incisive. He talked about how Tiger has abused his lower body with his massive gym-built upper body. He said he once had the perfect physique for golf — "sinewy," he said — and now he does not. And he did. The perfect body and the perfect mind. But not anymore

Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/art ... z1MA7u42RG

this is what i'm getting at...sure the knee is bad but there's more to it i believe
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    norm wrote:
    But the thing about Tiger, the thing that made him Tiger Woods — and this has been said a million times, but it's true — is that he was the greatest grinder in the history of golf, or right up there with Ben Hogan and Bill Britton. But since returning to the Tour at the 2010 Masters, after his brief hiatus following his Thanksgiving 2009 "fire hydrant" debacle, we haven't seen his old grinding ways.

On Golf Channel, Brandel Chamblee's analysis of Tiger's problems was incredibly incisive. He talked about how Tiger has abused his lower body with his massive gym-built upper body. He said he once had the perfect physique for golf — "sinewy," he said — and now he does not. And he did. The perfect body and the perfect mind. But not anymore

Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/art ... z1MA7u42RG

this is what i'm getting at...sure the knee is bad but there's more to it i believe

Unlike Norm, who has the perfect body for posting on message boards all day... let's not even speculate on what he has the perfect mind for...
  • Options
    I'm not willing to go so far as saying Tiger's done, but I don't see him winning at all this year and maybe next year. I do still think somehow he gets to Jack's record in the next decade. Just inject that knee with a lil HGH and all will be better.

Go Nick Watney!
  • Options
    I'm not willing to go so far as saying Tiger's done, but I don't see him winning at all this year and maybe next year. I do still think somehow he gets to Jack's record in the next decade. Just inject that knee with a lil HGH and all will be better.

Go Nick Watney!

I wish, man. Joe Posnanski basically put it as Tiger needs to have Phils major career to reach Jacks record. Phil is a hall of game golfer and Tiger needs his career major total to beat Jack. I would love to see it, but sadly don't think we will.
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    anyone play the new Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 The Masters-PS3?

its almost like your at Augusta
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009