Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    polaris_x wrote:
    norm wrote:
    but this could be a big confidence booster for him...i still think he should go back to his scottie cameron putter

it's always gonna be about driver for tiger ... if he can't keep it in play ... it'll be hard for him to compete with these young guys ... who are both long and accurate off the tee ...

tiger's never been accurate with the driver...his skill came from his scrambling from the bad drives with an amazing short game and clutch putting...old tiger would have nailed the eagle putt on 15 and would have gone on to win yesterday
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Agree with norm. Go back to the Cameron putter. They are the best putters in the world, after all. Best $300 I ever spent. Well, other than the MSG2 trip last year.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    That was so much fun yesterday. Sad to see Rory implode like that. Cheers to Charl. He earned it with birdies on the final four holes. Now on to Congressional in June for the US Open!

Horrible for Rory. But I think he will recover.. Still young, not like Norman when he was number 1 but ageing. Tiger...a few under on the back nine and it was his but not to be. Too Bad. Great tourney though. Can't remember a time at the Masters when 8 people could win with 5 holes left to play.
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    That's how you finish a golf tournament

That was Rorys tweet to Westwood last year after he won at Quail Hollow which came a month after Westwood the third round leader finished 2nd at the Masters.......karmas a bitch
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    My cousin is giving me his first set of clubs, which belonged to our uncle!! They're an old set but it's a start! Can't wait to learn and start playing golf this spring and summer!! :D:D:mrgreen:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    played an afternoon round today & shot a 77. not too bad! my front nine was much better than the back nine, and it's usually the other way around. it's a course here in Waco called James Connally Municipal. $10 gets you 18 holes + a cart.

photo4-2.jpg
    the 17th---a long par 5 (par)
    photo3-3.jpg
    the 15th---long & tough par 3 (double bogey. d'oh!)
    photo2-10.jpg
    the 7th---medium par 4; best drive of the day (320 yds or so...thanks to the wind!) (birdie)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,604
    Damn, dude. I would love for a 77 to be a "not too bad" round.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Damn, dude. I would love for a 77 to be a "not too bad" round.

I'm an ok golfer, but I think anyone can shoot a 77 at this course. Actually, most can do better! It's wide open...trees line the fairways in spots, only 2-3 water holes & a handful of bunkers.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I golf. Unskillfully. *sigh* Ok, very unskillfully.
    I do try though...it's a game of patience, right? :oops:
    On the upside, I like walking the courses.
    Oh, I do know when to pick up my ball and/or let others play through.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    i don't feel bad for rory chokeroy after all the smack he's talked bout tiger

karma is a bitch
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    77 Matt? That's fantastic. Got out for the first time this year last weekend and shot 83 on a difficult course. I was 0 for 7 in birdie chances and missed 5 putts inside 3 feet. Almost as pathetic as the Red Sox this year. But it was great to get out for the first time this year. The courses on the cape are in excellent condition right now.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    woooah

shot an 83 on your first round back? impressive...

very impressive.

I play to around 19 handicap so Im pretty crap really. But the G15's are giving me a bit of a better game with their massive forgivingness!!
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    woooah

very impressive.

I play to around 19 handicap so Im pretty crap really. But the G15's are giving me a bit of a better game with their massive forgivingness!!
    Thanks man, I've been playing this silly game my entire life. So as my friends say, "If I did something my entire life, I'd better be good at it or it's a waste of time, money and effort". Hahaha And also, there's something to be said for working out and hitting balls all winter. I started doing this a few years back and it makes it infinitely easier to get back into a groove.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i told tin cup to lay up. :lol:

am i the only one that gets rory mixed up with tin cup...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i had a birdie once. :D

did a 360 in a golf cart going down a wet hill. that was fun.

ussally half a dozen beers in by the 9th and lose all interest.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    woooah

very impressive.

Thanks man, I've been playing this silly game my entire life. So as my friends say, "If I did something my entire life, I'd better be good at it or it's a waste of time, money and effort". Hahaha And also, there's something to be said for working out and hitting balls all winter. I started doing this a few years back and it makes it infinitely easier to get back into a groove.

Yeah I tend to break around Nov to late feb and its really then like starting again....its easy to lose that tuning in your swing that is a result of regular play.

whats your handicap?
  • Options
    I went from a 4 at age 16, to a 15 at age 24, now I'm back down to a 6. Trust me, it's more of a curse than a gift most days. The guys I play with are all 2s and 3s, so I get beaten around pretty bad.
  • Options
  • Options
    I went from a 4 at age 16, to a 15 at age 24, now I'm back down to a 6. Trust me, it's more of a curse than a gift most days. The guys I play with are all 2s and 3s, so I get beaten around pretty bad.

scratches fenwayfaithwell off the potential list of golfers I could play on overseas travels :lol:
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ARrPk8zhQ&feature=aso

is this real? you guys ever heard of this?
  • Options

I dont know if it's real or not but thats fucking awesome. I want a pet shark.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I dont know if it's real or not but thats fucking awesome. I want a pet shark.

I would take up Golf for this!
  • Options
  • Options
    norm wrote:

:shock: wow indeed.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Nice to see Rory has bounced back well. He's leading the Malaysian Open heading into the final day. Hope he can hold it together. Tough watching the self destruction of last weekend.
  • Options
    SANDWICH, England -- The Royal St. George's course will be 100 yards longer for this year's British Open, with par being reduced from 71 to 70.

Organizers say the famous fourth hole -- with a huge bunker staring players in the face as they tee off -- is being changed from a 497-yard par 5 to a 495-yard par 4.

The third hole will be increased by 30 yards to 240 yards, while the long seventh goes from 532 to 564 yards and the ninth from 388 to 412 yards. In the main alteration on the back nine, the 15th will be stretched from 475 yards to a 496-yard par 4.

Eight years ago, American winner Ben Curtis was the only player to break par at the course, and only by one shot. The previous time, in 1983, Greg Norman set a championship record of 13-under 267.

In another change, the fairway on the first hole has been widened by about 12 yards. In 2003, Tiger Woods lost a ball with his first shot at Royal St. George's and took a triple-bogey 7.

Less than 30 percent of all drives finished on the fairway in 2003.

"Tiger's lost ball was not an influence -- it was the overall statistic of 27-28 percent," Royal & Ancient Club chief executive Peter Dawson said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/britishopen11/news/story?id=6387957

Who's ready for a +2 winner in England this June? Yeah, we got the Players Championship coming up next month, but focus is already being directed to Royal St. George's.
  • Options
    I just read that. If the wind and rain are around like they usually are it's going to be brutal.
  • Options
    Gotta love those 240yd par-3s! I'd probably be hitting 3wood and still coming up short. Oh, you made the green? That's great. Now it's only an 87 foot putt to the hole! Love that Open Championship!
  • Options
    Gotta love those 240yd par-3s! I'd probably be hitting 3wood and still coming up short. Oh, you made the green? That's great. Now it's only an 87 foot putt to the hole! Love that Open Championship!

Links courses are so difficult to begin with. Miss the fairway- game over. Hopefully you will even find the ball. But you do get great roll when you hit them- fairways are rock hard. The whole game is different on a links course. Pebble Beach isn't even a true links course.