Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    They oughta all walk off the job enmass.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/immigrants-us-armed-forces

I cant see how anyone serving would want to give their life for Team Trump Treason.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    Would you allow undocumented immigrants access to healthcare and educational systems?

Shit, they can get a drivers license here 
    No, you can't access our health care system without a health services card, and you can't enter a school without being documented either. And they certainly can't get a driver's license. You need official documentation to do stuff in Canada (that does include people in the process of applying for some level of legal status though). I don't know why Americans don't understand that people come to America because the US system makes it so much easier for them to do such things without being documented at all.
    And still there is an etimated 50,000 to 200,000 undocumented immigrants in Canada, because, of course, some people hire them and pay them under the table, and it's not that hard to find landlord willing to rent to people without credit checks and shit.
    And we get a bad name for how we treat undocumented immigrants? lol 

So if a family has a 10 year old child that chikd will not be able to go to school or access healthcare? 

Hillary got ROASTED in the 2008 primaries for hesitating whether she would support drivers licenses for undocumented workers... its become pretty obvious we are far more liberal and tolerant towards immigration than a lot of our western allies that like to do a lot of American shaming. Interesting.

No, they will be allowed to go to school or access health care because their parents will be forced to enter the system one way or another. Also, it's not an anti-immigration tactic. It's simply a good administrative method for Canadians that doesn't happen to serve undocumented immigrants.
    I'm not too sure what your attitude is about lately, but suggesting that such a system is "treating undocumented immigrants badly" seems pretty off to me. I would say that people say that about America because they are treated like sub-humans by many Americans, and are subjected to amazing levels of racism and bigotry and anger, and the way the government acts when they do start proceedings against them, and the means they use to find them, is inhumane.
    Actually, any child in Canada, whether here legally or illegally, citizen or refugee, is eligible to go to school. Federal law prohibits schools from refusing to admit any child.

Health care is another issue. All refugee claimants automatically get free health care while awaiting adjudication of their claims. Illegal immigrants typically don't, because typically the claims would be adjudicated quickly; however, because we are also getting a lot of illegal immigrants (walking over from the US), adjudication is taking longer, so those without status are also currently get temporary coverage. This is for more routine coverage; no one gets refused emergency coverage.
    Well that's good.... I actually was going off info suggesting that this was not a consistent thing, based on stuff like this:

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    Would you allow undocumented immigrants access to healthcare and educational systems?

No, you can't access our health care system without a health services card, and you can't enter a school without being documented either. And they certainly can't get a driver's license. You need official documentation to do stuff in Canada (that does include people in the process of applying for some level of legal status though). I don't know why Americans don't understand that people come to America because the US system makes it so much easier for them to do such things without being documented at all.
    And still there is an etimated 50,000 to 200,000 undocumented immigrants in Canada, because, of course, some people hire them and pay them under the table, and it's not that hard to find landlord willing to rent to people without credit checks and shit.

So if a family has a 10 year old child that chikd will not be able to go to school or access healthcare? 

Hillary got ROASTED in the 2008 primaries for hesitating whether she would support drivers licenses for undocumented workers... its become pretty obvious we are far more liberal and tolerant towards immigration than a lot of our western allies that like to do a lot of American shaming. Interesting.

No, they will be allowed to go to school or access health care because their parents will be forced to enter the system one way or another. Also, it's not an anti-immigration tactic. It's simply a good administrative method for Canadians that doesn't happen to serve undocumented immigrants.
    I'm not too sure what your attitude is about lately, but suggesting that such a system is "treating undocumented immigrants badly" seems pretty off to me. I would say that people say that about America because they are treated like sub-humans by many Americans, and are subjected to amazing levels of racism and bigotry and anger, and the way the government acts when they do start proceedings against them, and the means they use to find them, is inhumane.
    Actually, any child in Canada, whether here legally or illegally, citizen or refugee, is eligible to go to school. Federal law prohibits schools from refusing to admit any child.

Health care is another issue. All refugee claimants automatically get free health care while awaiting adjudication of their claims. Illegal immigrants typically don't, because typically the claims would be adjudicated quickly; however, because we are also getting a lot of illegal immigrants (walking over from the US), adjudication is taking longer, so those without status are also currently get temporary coverage. This is for more routine coverage; no one gets refused emergency coverage.
    Well that's good.... I actually was going off info suggesting that this was not a consistent thing, based on stuff like this:

Huh. It’s true that the article I read was from an Ontario source, but it was worded in such a way that it suggested it was federal law. Maybe I misunderstood. That sucks. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Huh. It’s true that the article I read was from an Ontario source, but it was worded in such a way that it suggested it was federal law. Maybe I misunderstood. That sucks. 
    No, I looked further when you said that, and it does seem like there is a national rule about this... but I'm now kind of thinking that this rule isn't necessarily followed the way it's supposed to be by some provinces...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    America really isn't doing just fine. You will never convince me of that.

I have been to America countless times (I was just there once again in fact) - I definitely know what it's like! And I like it a lot for many reasons. It's just not doing fine IMO. Not at all. That doesn't mean I think it's worse than a 3rd world country or anything. For a first world nation, it's not doing fine.
    How is it not?
    neo-nazi rallies excused by the PRESIDENT for just ONE. 
    Everybody forgets that he did denounce them.  This always seems to elude people.
    yeah, after saying some of them were good people. it didn't elude me. I just think it's BS. (I have given him credit where it has been due, there just hasn't been due). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    From the White House:

“The so-called migrant caravan that's slowly making its way to the U.S. from Central America is many things to many people. But one thing seems pretty certain: it's not about seeking ‘asylum,’ or ‘refugee status.’ It's about getting to the United States at all costs,” the Investor’s Business Daily editorial board writes. “It's time we take our border seriously, or we'll end up like those countries in Europe and the Mideast who find their nations no longer governable.”

What countries in Europe and the Middle East find themselves "no longer governable?"
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    From the White House:

“The so-called migrant caravan that's slowly making its way to the U.S. from Central America is many things to many people. But one thing seems pretty certain: it's not about seeking ‘asylum,’ or ‘refugee status.’ It's about getting to the United States at all costs,” the Investor’s Business Daily editorial board writes. “It's time we take our border seriously, or we'll end up like those countries in Europe and the Mideast who find their nations no longer governable.”

What countries in Europe and the Middle East find themselves "no longer governable?"
    I don't understand why they think these two things are mutually exclusive. Or, I should say, I don't understand why they think enough Americans are stupid enough to believe those things are mutually exclusive... Oh wait... Trump voters. Right.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    From the White House:

I don't understand why they think these two things are mutually exclusive. Or, I should say, I don't understand why they think enough Americans are stupid enough to believe those things are mutually exclusive... Oh wait... Trump voters. Right.
    Fear works very well, on stupid people on non-stupid alike. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    From the White House:

The Mideast reference is one huge dog whistle too. I can't fucking believe they are mixing Islamophobia into this issue.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    From the White House:

The Mideast reference is one huge dog whistle too. I can't fucking believe they are mixing Islamophobia into this issue.
    Exactly and I wonder who helped destabilize some of those middle east countries' governments they are referring to...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    America really isn't doing just fine. You will never convince me of that.

I have been to America countless times (I was just there once again in fact) - I definitely know what it's like! And I like it a lot for many reasons. It's just not doing fine IMO. Not at all. That doesn't mean I think it's worse than a 3rd world country or anything. For a first world nation, it's not doing fine.
    How is it not?
    neo-nazi rallies excused by the PRESIDENT for just ONE. 
    Everybody forgets that he did denounce them.  This always seems to elude people.
    shhhhh, don’t tell the secret
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    https://apple.news/AOzUozkjiQXSBDWMxLx8Cdw
    Let me get this straight Baffoon states that he will sign an EO and his advisors say the 14th amendment can be interpreted to match these times yet when talking about the 2nd A this can never be interpreted different...
    Long overdue but an EO is not the way to do it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    From the White House:

well they planted that seed last week with him announcing "there's no way there aren't some middle easterners in the caravan". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Trump's suggested EO will result in a lot of injustice for people who will actually be an asset to America. It's an idea that will eventually make us think about the Dreamer situation. It's a terrible idea (like most of Trump's ideas).
    I do, however, see birth tourism as a problem... Governments could create laws that make that kind of thing much harder or impossible, by applying guidelines for the parents in relation to the circumstances of the birth of their children or something. Canada needs to do that too. It's becoming a real problem with the Chinese. It's really just a big scam. Of course, that is not were Trump's motivation lies at all - two separate issues.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

House Speaker Paul Ryan rejects President Trump’s idea of ending birthright citizenship by executive order

The dude's actually talking sense for once.
    Not that I would support totally ending birthright citizenship anyhow, by EO or not, for the reason already stated.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,128
    PJ_Soul said:
    From the White House:

I may not be reading your statement right, but there are specific definitions for refugee and asylum. And financial gain is not one of them.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    From the White House:

I may not be reading your statement right, but there are specific definitions for refugee and asylum. And financial gain is not one of them.
    Who said anything about financial gain?
    But if you think of it in terms of "seeking a better, safe life", that necessarily involves trying to reach financial stability, right?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    unsung said:
    Let me get this straight Baffoon states that he will sign an EO and his advisors say the 14th amendment can be interpreted to match these times yet when talking about the 2nd A this can never be interpreted different...
    So, you agree that the constitution can be changed?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    So they won’t be receiving any welfare?  I guess they won’t need it with all of the jobs that are going to fill according to H2M, just not sure what jobs.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    So, you agree that the constitution can be changed?
    And should be, no less. :pensive:
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    unsung said:
    So they won’t be receiving any welfare?  I guess they won’t need it with all of the jobs that are going to fill according to H2M, just not sure what jobs.
    There are indeed labour shortages in many industries in various regions all over America. The restaurant industry struggles with this, and the transportation industry, and the construction industry, and the retail industry, and the agricultural industry, and in factories. Not to mention skilled labour in the tech and science sectors, which I'm sure these people's children can help out with in a couple decades, if the first generation doesn't have enough people with higher education or the means to get it once they're there.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    OK I've got an idea.

Let them all in.

Grant them asylum.

Assign them SS numbers.

Let them go to work.

Once you get everyone to be in the system you can actually see if they are a boom or bust to society.

If they fail to be good in society and not add to the community then deport them.

You'll have all sorts of facts and numbers in a years time.

Thoughts?

We should start seeing what goes on in these other countries that we may be able to help with and fix them so their people don't run away in droves?  Not a really popular idea considering our past?
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Did you look at the BLS spreadsheet of open positions, by industry/category? Are you not able to determine based upon that, which jobs they may fill?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Did you look at the BLS spreadsheet of open positions, by industry/category? Are you not able to determine based upon that, which jobs they may fill?
    If neither one of you is willing to answer the question please stop.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    well somebody's gotta clean all that coal. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    There are indeed labour shortages in many industries in various regions all over America. The restaurant industry struggles with this, and the transportation industry, and the construction industry, and the retail industry, and the agricultural industry, and in factories. Not to mention skilled labour in the tech and science sectors, which I'm sure these people's children can help out with in a couple decades, if the first generation doesn't have enough people with higher education or the means to get it once they're there.
    If the current  regime keeps up the anti immigrant rhetoric and cutting back on paths to citizenship there will be a brain drain.
    The people who wanted to come here will instead go to Canada or great Britain or Germany or Russia or Australia,  etc etc
  • Options
    unsung said:
    If neither one of you is willing to answer the question please stop.
    I’ll answer. Perhaps all of them Unsung, perhaps all of them.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    OK I've got an idea.

Let them all in.

Grant them asylum.

Assign them SS numbers.

Let them go to work.

Once you get everyone to be in the system you can actually see if they are a boom or bust to society.

If they fail to be good in society and not add to the community then deport them.

Thoughts?

We should start seeing what goes on in these other countries that we may be able to help with and fix them so their people don't run away in droves?  Not a really popular idea considering our past?
    I don't think anyone is saying that we should just blindly let them all in. If they qualify for asylee/refugee status then vet them accordingly and let them in, if they don't then deny or go through the regular immigration process. I doubt that all of them would qualify, but if they did, I don't see a problem with what you're suggesting. It would be a good opportunity to track a group this large, but they'd need a way to do that by some sort of method that would probably require case managers or someone who can do the follow-up work in 6mos/1yr/2yrs and so on. It would be absolutely amazing if our worthless president or his admin could allocate both the money and personnel to accomplish such an important study that could really help the whole country see what happens to someone once they are accepted instead of spreading fear and xenophobia.

I'm sure people would still ignore what would mostly be positive findings and focus on the few who didn't become upstanding citizens (much like the narrative already being spun with the whole MS-13 and bad hombre rhetoric).
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    tbergs said:
    OK I've got an idea.

Let them all in.

Grant them asylum.

Assign them SS numbers.

Let them go to work.

Thoughts?

I don't think anyone is saying that we should just blindly let them all in. If they qualify for asylee/refugee status then vet them accordingly and let them in, if they don't then deny or go through the regular immigration process. I doubt that all of them would qualify, but if they did, I don't see a problem with what you're suggesting. It would be a good opportunity to track a group this large, but they'd need a way to do that by some sort of method that would probably require case managers or someone who can do the follow-up work in 6mos/1yr/2yrs and so on. It would be absolutely amazing if our worthless president or his admin could allocate both the money and personnel to accomplish such an important study that could really help the whole country see what happens to someone once they are accepted instead of spreading fear and xenophobia.

I'm sure people would still ignore what would mostly be positive findings and focus on the few who didn't become upstanding citizens (much like the narrative already being spun with the whole MS-13 and bad hombre rhetoric).
    And that all sounds great, but my concern, and I've seen a few others bring it up as well, is how long does that take? What are we going to do with the 7,000+ who just show up? How are we going to feed, shelter and clothe them? The media and many others are trying to paint this as an every day problem. I don't know why, because if this is an every day problem then immigration is far worse than anyone thinks so that is more reason to start enforcing boarders. But in reality what we deal with every day is just a small fraction of this size, spread across 2,000 miles of boarder.
    Here are my predictions. They will be housed in tents and said. Food, water and clothing will be rationed. It will be cramped, it will take a very long time to process. Many will claim they were treated like dogs because there was no way to put up 7,000 in a nice facility and feed them 3 hot meals a day. We will get complaints and accusations about how cruel it is from leaders around the world about hos this is handled, when at the same time they did nothing.
    That's just my prediction. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,128
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    From the White House:

Who said anything about financial gain?
    But if you think of it in terms of "seeking a better, safe life", that necessarily involves trying to reach financial stability, right?
    Have you looked up the definition for refugee and asylum seekers?
    hippiemom = goodness