Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

1166167168169170172»

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,830
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,187
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    The people who have been telling you the border is the most important issue facing America (but not so important that it can’t wait until 2025) have other things they want you to believe as well. 

Reminds me of when the news broke right here on AMT of Israel declaring war against Islam, because a mosque that was housing an underground terror organization took collateral damage. 

Seems the majority of Americans (most importantly the ones tasked with protecting it) feel the border is one of the most important issues. I certainly don’t need twitter and the confirmation bias hounds who congregate there to draw that conclusion. I wonder why the one person who has the power to actually do something about it hasn’t? Funny how what should be a totally unrelated post to the topic comes full circle with a single question. We should all be so proud. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2024/02/15/how-americans-view-the-situation-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-its-causes-and-consequences/

please tell us by what legal authorities a president can unilaterally close the border?

and why under trump it took title 42 to accomplish this? the same title federal judges ordered ended once the pandemic was declared over?

so absent a regionsl or global health crises, what authority does any president have on this matter?
    Who asked for the border to be closed? Executive orders to curb the issue would be a good starting point.

and what executive orders can be executed within his legal authority can he issue?

be specific.  

if he was willing to deal to give the disingenuous gop what they wanted , why wouldnt he have already done what you generally  suggest?
    Coincidentally, it appears he’s currently exploring those options. Lucky for us it only took the better part of 3 and a half years for him to see if being the president of the United States grants certain powers. To answer your question, I don’t know, but maybe we’ll be lucky enough to get it straight from the horse’s mouth. 
  • Options
    edited April 11
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    The people who have been telling you the border is the most important issue facing America (but not so important that it can’t wait until 2025) have other things they want you to believe as well. 

Reminds me of when the news broke right here on AMT of Israel declaring war against Islam, because a mosque that was housing an underground terror organization took collateral damage. 

Seems the majority of Americans (most importantly the ones tasked with protecting it) feel the border is one of the most important issues. I certainly don’t need twitter and the confirmation bias hounds who congregate there to draw that conclusion. I wonder why the one person who has the power to actually do something about it hasn’t? Funny how what should be a totally unrelated post to the topic comes full circle with a single question. We should all be so proud. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2024/02/15/how-americans-view-the-situation-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-its-causes-and-consequences/

please tell us by what legal authorities a president can unilaterally close the border?

and why under trump it took title 42 to accomplish this? the same title federal judges ordered ended once the pandemic was declared over?

so absent a regionsl or global health crises, what authority does any president have on this matter?
    Who asked for the border to be closed? Executive orders to curb the issue would be a good starting point.

and what executive orders can be executed within his legal authority can he issue?

be specific.  

if he was willing to deal to give the disingenuous gop what they wanted , why wouldnt he have already done what you generally  suggest?
    Coincidentally, it appears he’s currently exploring those options. Lucky for us it only took the better part of 3 and a half years for him to see if being the president of the United States grants certain powers. To answer your question, I don’t know, but maybe we’ll be lucky enough to get it straight from the horse’s mouth. 

provision he would attempt to use has been tried before and blocked by the courts.

from the politifact article above....

Former President Donald Trump invoked the section of immigration law that Johnson cited when he tried to block people from seeking asylum. But courts stopped his efforts because they were at odds with the immigration law’s asylum section.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    edited April 11
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:

be specific.  

provision he would attempt to use has been tried before and blocked by the courts.

Former President Donald Trump invoked the section of immigration law that Johnson cited when he tried to block people from seeking asylum. But courts stopped his efforts because they were at odds with the immigration law’s asylum section.
    Yes, but that is just part of the story, and what was blocked occurred under a whole different set of circumstances. From the reuters article:
    The Biden administration has considered using a legal statute known as 212(f) that served as the basis for Trump's travel ban policies blocking travelers from some Muslim-majority nations and other countries, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters in February.
    The Supreme Court upheld the travel ban policy in 2018, but a separate Trump effort to deny migrants at the border using the same statute was blocked in court.
    I don't recall the FBI, Homeland Security, and NBPC voicing the same type of national security concerns at that time. Plus, 2023 border encounters were 5x higher than in 2018. These things matter, and until Biden actually attempts something, there is definitely an argument that more could be done. Besides, if he had already exhausted everything under his authority, as he's stated, how is he pursuing this?
  • Options
    edited April 12
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:

be specific.  

Yes, but that is just part of the story, and what was blocked occurred under a whole different set of circumstances. From the reuters article:
    The Biden administration has considered using a legal statute known as 212(f) that served as the basis for Trump's travel ban policies blocking travelers from some Muslim-majority nations and other countries, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters in February.
    The Supreme Court upheld the travel ban policy in 2018, but a separate Trump effort to deny migrants at the border using the same statute was blocked in court.
    I don't recall the FBI, Homeland Security, and NBPC voicing the same type of national security concerns at that time. Plus, 2023 border encounters were 5x higher than in 2018. These things matter, and until Biden actually attempts something, there is definitely an argument that more could be done. Besides, if he had already exhausted everything under his authority, as he's stated, how is he pursuing this?

And all of that is well and good. However, one thing that desperately needs corrected is to add more asylum. Administrative judges and support staff, as well as the increase in funding for more border agents, as well as all the other fully modern technological advances Biden was proposing. Instead of just a steel fucking wall.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,630
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:

be specific.  

And all of that is well and good. However, one thing that desperately needs corrected is to add more asylum. Administrative judges and support staff, as well as the increase in funding for world border agents, as well as all the other fully modern technological advances Biden was proposing. Instead of just a steel fucking wall.
    For an ineffective steel wall, I might add. Missing from this current conversation is the use of EOs and vesting too much power in the executive. Something that repub heads exploded over when Obama was POTUS (gee, wonder why?). Issues such as border protection and immigration are supposed to be and should be dealt with by congress because of the nature and scope of the issue at hand, multi-dimensional, layered, multi-faceted from a legal and issue standpoint. Congress represents the people doing the people’s business. The repubs could and should have negotiated for those things they wanted, despite getting them in the senate version, and brought the bill for a vote. They could have, with their simple majority, as slim as it was or is, voted no. That they abdicated their duty and responsibility is on them and the voters who elected them. They own it and are chicken shits because of their fealty to POOTWH.

Disingenuous arguments being made on this issue. Repubs could have claimed victory either way the vote had gone but want to run as do nothings. That’s weak. Folks are buying it so thanks Brandon.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,503
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:

be specific.  

And all of that is well and good. However, one thing that desperately needs corrected is to add more asylum. Administrative judges and support staff, as well as the increase in funding for world border agents, as well as all the other fully modern technological advances Biden was proposing. Instead of just a steel fucking wall.
    For an ineffective steel wall, I might add. Missing from this current conversation is the use of EOs and vesting too much power in the executive. Something that repub heads exploded over when Obama was POTUS (gee, wonder why?). Issues such as border protection and immigration are supposed to be and should be dealt with by congress because of the nature and scope of the issue at hand, multi-dimensional, layered, multi-faceted from a legal and issue standpoint. Congress represents the people doing the people’s business. The repubs could and should have negotiated for those things they wanted, despite getting them in the senate version, and brought the bill for a vote. They could have, with their simple majority, as slim as it was or is, voted no. That they abdicated their duty and responsibility is on them and the voters who elected them. They own it and are chicken shits because of their fealty to POOTWH.

Disingenuous arguments being made on this issue. Repubs could have claimed victory either way the vote had gone but want to run as do nothings. That’s weak. Folks are buying it so thanks Brandon.
    Yup
  • Options
    edited April 12
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:

be specific.  

Hmmmm.
    “And I want to make it clear — there’s a lot of talk, with good reason, about the number of executive orders that I have signed — I’m not making new law; I’m eliminating bad policy,” Biden said as he signed a series of actions on immigration from the Oval Office on February 2. “What I’m doing is taking on the issues that — 99% of them — that the president, the last president of the United States, issued executive orders I felt were very counterproductive to our security, counterproductive to who we are as a country, particularly in the area of immigration.”
    Wonder how he feels about his own? You can’t simply erase January 2021 - October 2023 and the effects that time period had when addressing this issue. You want to pretend it didn’t happen, and judge only what has happened in the 6 months since our president started paying attention. Some of us are capable of more, but please tell me more about disingenuous arguments.
    https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/politics/biden-executive-orders/
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:

be specific.  

Hmmmm.
    “And I want to make it clear — there’s a lot of talk, with good reason, about the number of executive orders that I have signed — I’m not making new law; I’m eliminating bad policy,” Biden said as he signed a series of actions on immigration from the Oval Office on February 2. “What I’m doing is taking on the issues that — 99% of them — that the president, the last president of the United States, issued executive orders I felt were very counterproductive to our security, counterproductive to who we are as a country, particularly in the area of immigration.”
    Wonder how he feels about his own? You can’t simply erase January 2021 - October 2023 and the effects that time period had when addressing this issue. You want to pretend it didn’t happen, and judge only what has happened in the 6 months since our president started paying attention. Some of us are capable of more, but please tell me more about disingenuous arguments.
    It’s the same ploy as, “our number one priority is to see this president fail.” Some of us are capable of seeing that, and that repubs are chicken shit do nothings. I look forward to the talking heads on Faux exploding when Brandon starts issuing EOs.

Doing nothing is not a solution. Issuing EOs is not the preferred way to implement law or eliminate bad law. Legislation is typically bipartisan and representative. I get it, you’re all in on autocracy. Bet you can’t wait?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:

be specific.  

Hmmmm.
    And you’re being critical of Brandon? Do you believe “immigrants poison the blood of the country?” From Letter From an American as it relates to Ukraine aid but it could just as well apply to immigration:

But instead of actually doing the people’s business and passing a measure the White House, Pentagon, and a majority of Congress think is vital to our national security, MAGA Republicans appear to be consumed by the effort to get Trump back into the presidency.

And this is what the repub chicken shits are focusing on for legislative priorities. Congress should pass it so Brandon can sign it and then negate it with an EO or two or three. Tell us again about the disingenuousness, please? Also from Letter From An American:

Today the House Rules Committee got a new chair as Michael Burgess (R-TX) took the reins from Tom Cole (R-OK). Burgess will oversee his first hearing on Monday as the committee meets to examine six bills that appear to be designed to feed the Republicans’ culture wars by denying the secretary of energy’s power to establish new energy conservation standards. Those bills are the “Hands Off Our Home Appliances Act,” the “Liberty in Laundry Act,” the “Clothes Dryers Reliability Act,” the “Refrigerator Freedom Act,” the “Affordable Air Conditioning Act,” and the “Stop Unaffordable Dishwasher Standards Act.”

What a fucking joke from a clown show of POOTWH’s political party and their supporters.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:

be specific.  

Hmmmm.
    And you’re being critical of Brandon? Do you believe “immigrants poison the blood of the country?” From Letter From an American as it relates to Ukraine aid but it could just as well apply to immigration:

But instead of actually doing the people’s business and passing a measure the White House, Pentagon, and a majority of Congress think is vital to our national security, MAGA Republicans appear to be consumed by the effort to get Trump back into the presidency.

And this is what the repub chicken shits are focusing on for legislative priorities. Congress should pass it so Brandon can sign it and then negate it with an EO or two or three. Tell us again about the disingenuousness, please? Also from Letter From An American:

Today the House Rules Committee got a new chair as Michael Burgess (R-TX) took the reins from Tom Cole (R-OK). Burgess will oversee his first hearing on Monday as the committee meets to examine six bills that appear to be designed to feed the Republicans’ culture wars by denying the secretary of energy’s power to establish new energy conservation standards. Those bills are the “Hands Off Our Home Appliances Act,” the “Liberty in Laundry Act,” the “Clothes Dryers Reliability Act,” the “Refrigerator Freedom Act,” the “Affordable Air Conditioning Act,” and the “Stop Unaffordable Dishwasher Standards Act.”

What a fucking joke from a clown show of POOTWH’s political party and their supporters.
    I get it, you’re incapable of examining issues as a whole. I’ve made it clear I’m not an apologist for either party, and refuse to believe blame isn’t bilateral in a 2 party system. Try this bullshit on someone else. 
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:

be specific.  

Hmmmm.

I get it, you’re incapable of examining issues as a whole. I’ve made it clear I’m not an apologist for either party, and refuse to believe blame isn’t bilateral in a 2 party system. Try this bullshit on someone else. 
    You’re incapable of looking at how “we” got here. You seem to skip right over the part where Dems gave up a lot in the bill passed by the senate to get a bill. You seem to skip right over the part or choose to ignore that the repubs in the house refused a vote on a bipartisan bill passed in the senate. Then you whine about Brandon “not doing everything available to solve the problem,” and advocating for issuance of EOs, all the while blowing dog whistles. Some of us get it.

The “blame” in a two party system, with this issue, rests squarely with the repubs, if you’re truly capable of being objective. Sell your bridge to someone else.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:

be specific.  

Hmmmm.

You’re incapable of looking at how “we” got here. You seem to skip right over the part where Dems gave up a lot in the bill passed by the senate to get a bill. You seem to skip right over the part or choose to ignore that the repubs in the house refused a vote on a bipartisan bill passed in the senate. Then you whine about Brandon “not doing everything available to solve the problem,” and advocating for issuance of EOs, all the while blowing dog whistles. Some of us get it.

The “blame” in a two party system, with this issue, rests squarely with the repubs, if you’re truly capable of being objective. Sell your bridge to someone else.
    Cult(s).
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mickeyrat said:
    FiveBelow said:

be specific.  

Hmmmm.

Cult(s).

Brilliantati©
  • Options

• Options
    FiveBelow said:

And centrist senators passed a bill that the far right house refused to bring to a vote so it’s Brandon’s fault. That tracks.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    lol

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,038
    FiveBelow said:

And centrist senators passed a bill that the far right house refused to bring to a vote so it’s Brandon’s fault. That tracks.

Nothing he said lumps him w a maga.  
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:

Sorry ya lost me here.
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:

Sorry ya lost me here.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,798
    Jeez 
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:

Sorry ya lost me here.

I forgot about u and the last word, my bad...

• Options
    FiveBelow said:

Sorry ya lost me here.

I forgot about u and the last word, my bad...

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Seems some deportations are in order in Brighton Beach and Sunny Isle, eh? From Letter From An American:

For his part, leading Russian politician Dmitry Medvedev had his own reaction to the House’s passage of the national security supplemental bill with aid for Ukraine. He vowed that Russia would win the war anyway and added: “[C]onsidering the russophobic decision that took place I can't help but wish the USA with all sincerity to dive into a new civil war themselves as quickly as possible. Which, I hope, will be very different from the war between North and South in the 19th century and will be waged using aircraft, tanks, artillery, MLRS, all types of missiles and other weapons. And which will finally lead to the inglorious collapse of the vile evil empire of the 21st century—the United States of America."

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Was it @mrussel1 who predicted we would eventually get the Ukraine & Israel aid passed, but nothing on the border? 

Whoever it was... good call. 
  • Options
    Was it @mrussel1 who predicted we would eventually get the Ukraine & Israel aid passed, but nothing on the border? 

Well, for a party that largely don't give a fuck , this is to their advantage anyway

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Well, for a party that largely don't give a fuck , this is to their advantage anyway
    Yup.