>>>Official Lebron James Page

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    With all this talk about Stern, I figure I will put in my 2 cents. I don't want this to come across as completely defending the guy, I have some problems with Stern as well. Namely, the piss poor quailty of NBA officiating and the fact they did not clear house after Donaghy.

As I have mentioned to a few people around here I worked for the Sixers for a couple years out of college. During that time I had a chance to listen to Stern speak to a fairly small group of about 40-50 people. I was honestly completely shocked at how brilliant the guy is and how he understands almost every aspect of every team and city and challenges facing each team and city. It also seemed to me that he has to put up with a whole lot of bullshit. Basketball has changed quite a bit and it is not nearly as appealing as it used to be. Some may blame him but I don't really. Regular season NBA is now pretty boring to watch on TV and just as bad to watch in person unless you are sitting close to the floor.

Someone I also worked with and am still friends with, now works directly with Stern and says he is quite possibly the hardest working and best person he has ever worked with.

Goodell is the only commish that is popular and he has a pretty easy job considering he is running by far the most popular sport in America.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Regular season NBA is now pretty boring to watch on TV and just as bad to watch in person unless you are sitting close to the floor.

Goodell is the only commish that is popular and he has a pretty easy job considering he is running by far the most popular sport in America.

I fall asleep every time I turn on an NBA regular season game. That's why I believe college basketball to be a lot better and way more exciting than the NBA.

Goodell...hmm...I think he should've suspended Roethlesburger (don't know how to spell that name) for the whole season.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Though I agree with this statement, I don't understand why. I can't name one positive thing goodell has done since he took over. but the negatives are endless

-dragging the draft out over 3 days (used to be a great saturday event)
    -giving vick and other criminals 2nd chances (or just slaps on the wrist for things like rape)
    -increased commercial breaks (my favorite is the FG, commercial, kickoff, commercial combo -- prime time games are virtually unwatchable anymore because of this)
    -rule changes that are turning the NFL into soccer (the defense has a strike zone for hitting the QB for christ sake)

if I couldn't bet on games I wouldn't watch the NFL...it is just as bad, if not worse, than the NBA.

bottom line is baseball is far and away the best product of the 4 major sports. I watch football because I'm a degenerate gambler and the winter sports are horrible (especially during the regular season).

sorry, didn't mean to jack this thread
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Though I agree with this statement, I don't understand why. I can't name one positive thing goodell has done since he took over. but the negatives are endless

-giving vick and other criminals 2nd chances (or just slaps on the wrist for things like rape)
    -increased commercial breaks (my favorite is the FG, commercial, kickoff, commercial combo -- prime time games are virtually unwatchable anymore because of this)
    -rule changes that are turning the NFL into soccer (the defense has a strike zone for hitting the QB for christ sake)

if I couldn't bet on games I wouldn't watch the NFL...it is just as bad, if not worse, than the NBA.

bottom line is baseball is far and away the best product of the 4 major sports. I watch football because I'm a degenerate gambler and the winter sports are horrible (especially during the regular season).

Agree on all of this but as you mention, football is the most popular sport in america because of gambling and therefore he gets a pass.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,336
    The Fixer wrote:

1) The draft was better this year.
    2) Vick served his time...and no one was charged with rape
    3) Commericals - yes this sucks ;)
    4) Rule changes - I agree this sucks ;)

Baseball????? You wanna cut down football for breaking up the game (commericals) and you like Baseball? Seriously? How many times is enough to grab your crotch before pitching the damn ball or stepping into the batter's box? What a pitiful sport that has no business being on TV. And do you want to start talking player character as well? Cheaters.

Minor League games are fun though.
    hippiemom = goodness
    And do you want to start talking player character as well? Cheaters.

Can you really say with a straight face that you think more baseball players are on/took steroids than football players? Give it your best shot.
    The Fixer wrote:

1) The draft was better this year.
    2) Vick served his time...and no one was charged with rape
    3) Commericals - yes this sucks ;)
    4) Rule changes - I agree this sucks ;)

Baseball????? You wanna cut down football for breaking up the game (commericals) and you like Baseball? Seriously? How many times is enough to grab your crotch before pitching the damn ball or stepping into the batter's box? What a pitiful sport that has no business being on TV. And do you want to start talking player character as well? Cheaters.

Minor League games are fun though.

He should've suspended "Big Ben" the whole season. He makes the league and Goodell look bad.

Are you implying that every player is a cheater in baseball? You obviously don't know who Derek Jeter or Mark Teixiera or David Wright is.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:

Are you implying that every player is a cheater in baseball? You obviously don't know who Derek Jeter or Mark Teixiera or David Wright is.

Sure, those are the cheaters that haven't been caught yet. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Can you really say with a straight face that you think more baseball players are on/took steroids than football players? Give it your best shot.

Hahaha...baseball on tv sucks and you know it.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

haha, well at least you didn't give it a shot. I am a baseball guy so I can't agree with you but I do get why people don't like it.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

haha, well at least you didn't give it a shot. I am a baseball guy so I can't agree with you but I do get why people don't like it.

Love going to games, just a fun atmosphere...though still very slow. But I'd rather watch bass fishing on tv. And I don't like to fish. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Love going to games, just a fun atmosphere...though still very slow. But I'd rather watch bass fishing on tv. And I don't like to fish. ;)

everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you go to an NFL game you will see the players standing around a lot more than you will at a MLB game. the MLB product is much better than the crap the NFL is putting out these days.

and cliffy makes a great point about steroids in the NFL. like he said, the entire league gets a pass because of gambling. fans have continued to support the league even though the product on the field and on TV continues to get worse (not to mention the league is full of thugs now)

also, the draft sucked this year. I watched less of it this year than I usually do. Me and my buddies used to make day one of the draft (saturday) an excuse to get together.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you go to an NFL game you will see the players standing around a lot more than you will at a MLB game. the MLB product is much better than the crap the NFL is putting out these days.

and cliffy makes a great point about steroids in the NFL. like he said, the entire league gets a pass because of gambling. fans have continued to support the league even though the product on the field and on TV continues to get worse (not to mention the league is full of thugs now)

also, the draft sucked this year. I watched less of it this year than I usually do. Me and my buddies used to make day one of the draft (saturday) an excuse to get together.

Actual minutes of action in NFL game - 13-15 minutes
    Average length of NFl game 3 hours 6 minutes

Actual minutes of action in MLB game - 15-17 minutes
    Average length of a MLB game - (really depends on team and division it seems, but best avg =) 2 hours 50 min

So I guess what I am saying is you are right, more action in MLB games as a whole. But, a lot of that action involves 2-3 players. Where as every play in football involves 22 players. Perhaps that's why it appears like more action. Tough to compare the action of a football game with a pitcher throwing a swing-miss strike. One is far more exciting then the other in my opinion.
    hippiemom = goodness

Average length of a MLB game - (really depends on team and division it seems, but best avg =) 2 hours 50 min

So I guess what I am saying is you are right, more action in MLB games as a whole. But, a lot of that action involves 2-3 players. Where as every play in football involves 22 players. Perhaps that's why it appears like more action. Tough to compare the action of a football game with a pitcher throwing a swing-miss strike. One is far more exciting then the other in my opinion.

you're certainly entitled to your opinion (which I disagree with). you should watch more baseball though. there is more strategy in baseball than any other sport. it's a thinking man's game. only guy that has to think in football is the QB
    The Fixer wrote:

you're certainly entitled to your opinion (which I disagree with). you should watch more baseball though. there is more strategy in baseball than any other sport. it's a thinking man's game. only guy that has to think in football is the QB

Also, there's so much going on in baseball that you have to immediately know the situations right away.
    Newch91 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Also, there's so much going on in baseball that you have to immediately know the situations right away.

exactly. every pitch changes the dynamic of the in-game situation...for the offense and the defense
    The Fixer wrote:

Child please. That's an ignorant statement.

Yeah, so much going on...so if I throw a strike here and the count goes to 2-1...how many times am I suppose to grab my junk again before the next pitch???? I'm just messing with ya on that.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,477
    fixer--you think the nfl is as bad or worse than the nba? you have lost your mind.

the nfl certainly has some annoying aspects as you laid out. and each league is much worse off due to expansion, overhype, and inflated egos these days. but the nfl is far and away a much better product than the association these days. its not even close...not even in the same galaxy if you ask me.

i cant remember the last time i watched a non sixers game from start to finish. but i will watch just about every nfl game i can even if the eagles are not playing in it. and, yes believe it or not, i don't have to bet on a game to enjoy it--especially if it involves an nfc east team or has some kind of playoff implications etc etc etc. this is a silly argument.
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    lebron should of went to the sixers
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Child please.

Chad is that you?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,477

can't. we dont have the cap space.

could have gone to your home town's team though....but chose not too. :lol::lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
    fixer--you think the nfl is as bad or worse than the nba? you have lost your mind.

the nfl certainly has some annoying aspects as you laid out. and each league is much worse off due to expansion, overhype, and inflated egos these days. but the nfl is far and away a much better product than the association these days. its not even close...not even in the same galaxy if you ask me.

i cant remember the last time i watched a non sixers game from start to finish. but i will watch just about every nfl game i can even if the eagles are not playing in it. and, yes believe it or not, i don't have to bet on a game to enjoy it--especially if it involves an nfc east team or has some kind of playoff implications etc etc etc. this is a silly argument.

I seriously watch about 30 hours of football every weekend (this includes thursday and monday nights). I love gambling, so I will never stop regardless of how shitty the product gets. I will say that the NFL has progressively gotten worse every year since I graduated high school (close to 15 years ago).

Nothing is as bad as the NBA though...I got a little carried away. The NFL is pretty bad. Image-wise, the NFL is worse. I don't know how anyone can watch NBA games. I'm same as you, I can't watch a non-sixers NBA game. recently I can't even watch a sixers game start to finish.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

can't. we dont have the cap space.

could have gone to your home town's team though....but chose not too. :lol::lol::lol:

that was my face when it happened
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    baseball is a better sport to bet on

fact
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    baseball is a better sport to bet on

fact

than basketball or football?

baseball is the best sport product. football is the best sport to bet on. basketball just sucks (I do play in a summer league and still enjoy that...just can't watch it on TV)

you can get absolutely buried betting baseball every day...especially if you take favorites (I know this from experience). I prefer point spreads to money lines.

I don't usually bet baseball regular season games. sometimes I'll bet the phils if I'm going to the game. other than that I just bet on the playoff games in baseball
    regular season baseball post june is the best. by that time you know who the good teams are, who the bad teams are and which pitchers are doing what. imo, it makes it easy relative to other sports.

and give me the money line any day. it's so much easier to pick a winner straight up then to worry about who is going to win, and if they will be enough.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    regular season baseball post june is the best. by that time you know who the good teams are, who the bad teams are and which pitchers are doing what. imo, it makes it easy relative to other sports.

and give me the money line any day. it's so much easier to pick a winner straight up then to worry about who is going to win, and if they will be enough.

yeah, but with moneylines you lay out your own money on favorites. if halladay is pitching for the phils you have to bet $250 (if not more) to win $100. the phillies are 7-7 in his last 14 starts. That means if you bet $100 on each of his last 14 starts, you're down a shitload (even though you've gone 7-7 on your bets)

I don't fuck with exotic bets like teasers or reverses. that shit just decreases your odds of winning. and moneylines fuck you up because you have to bet more to win less. I prefer straight bets with a point spread. 50/50 shot to win what I bet (minus juice on a loser).

ah, I love it
    you can tease the money line, ie give a run. not a bad idea when you have a really good team with a solid starter going agaist a bad team with a bad starter.

i'll take the braves tonight.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i'll take the braves tonight.

winner.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... ency071610

good article about how james ended up in miami