MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

pureoc said:

pureoc said:

Damn. Arod retired. Hated the guy but one hell of a player.

Arod and bonds are the two best players I have ever seen
    And 2 of the biggest pieces of shit to play the game. Baseball will become a better sport Friday when A Fraud is no longer playing it.
    Coukdnt disagree more. The problem lies in that they were BOTH hall of fame players before they used PEDs. I'm of the opinion that the juicers should get in too. No asterisks but with a simple sentence added to the HOF plaque: "this player played in the steroid era." OR "this person tested positive for PEDs." It's that simple.
    To each their own. They don't belong in the hall. They got plenty, fame and a shit ton of cash to play a game. They cheated the fans, they got more than enough. In no way do they deserve to be given the highest honor in the game.
    Lol they cheated the fans. What are you a little leaguer who believes in Santa?
    Yea, if you feel cheated that pro athletes cheat, better stop watching professional sports.
    so cheating is ok with you guys!? ... as long as your entertained?
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

pureoc said:

And 2 of the biggest pieces of shit to play the game. Baseball will become a better sport Friday when A Fraud is no longer playing it.
    Coukdnt disagree more. The problem lies in that they were BOTH hall of fame players before they used PEDs. I'm of the opinion that the juicers should get in too. No asterisks but with a simple sentence added to the HOF plaque: "this player played in the steroid era." OR "this person tested positive for PEDs." It's that simple.
    To each their own. They don't belong in the hall. They got plenty, fame and a shit ton of cash to play a game. They cheated the fans, they got more than enough. In no way do they deserve to be given the highest honor in the game.
    Yea, if you feel cheated that pro athletes cheat, better stop watching professional sports.
    First, it wasnt cheating in the 90s. Second, it is entertainment. I didn't say I was ok with cheating, but where are you drawing the line? Stealing signs in baseball? Pumping fake crowd noise during a football game? Under inflating a football? Putting and extra fuel line in a race car? It all happens on a weekly basis.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place

polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

pureoc said:

First, it wasnt cheating in the 90s. Second, it is entertainment. I didn't say I was ok with cheating, but where are you drawing the line? Stealing signs in baseball? Pumping fake crowd noise during a football game? Under inflating a football? Putting and extra fuel line in a race car? It all happens on a weekly basis.
    it was cheating in the 90's ... there's been a banned substances list since 91 in mlb ... they just didn't start testing until the 2000's ...

i would say cheating is anything that is explicitly written against in a rule book ...

i'm not sure why you keep referencing entertainment? ... are you rationalizing cheating because it's entertainment?
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    polaris_x said:

pureoc said:

pureoc said:

It sure as hell isn't ok by me.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    polaris_x said:

it was cheating in the 90's ... there's been a banned substances list since 91 in mlb ... they just didn't start testing until the 2000's ...
    i would say cheating is anything that is explicitly written against in a rule book ...

So, because MLB didn't enforce their own rules, the players should be punished? MLB knew damn well what was going on, but they needed tickets sales, viewership, and advertising. So to get those dollars, they turned a blind eye while everyone was hitting the shit out of the ball. It worked in everyone's favor. Baseball and baseball players regained popularity and all made money and the fans got to watch home run derby.
    You guys that are so hell-bent on putting asterisks on steroid era players, or discrediting everything they ever did crack me up. The league fucked up, not the players. Is it cheating? Yes, by definition. But when the league knows it is, and doesn't care, who is really to blame?
    Major League Baseball wouldn't be the game it is today without the steroid era. Period.

polaris_x said:

So, because MLB didn't enforce their own rules, the players should be punished? MLB knew damn well what was going on, but they needed tickets sales, viewership, and advertising. So to get those dollars, they turned a blind eye while everyone was hitting the shit out of the ball. It worked in everyone's favor. Baseball and baseball players regained popularity and all made money and the fans got to watch home run derby.
    You guys that are so hell-bent on putting asterisks on steroid era players, or discrediting everything they ever did crack me up. The league fucked up, not the players. Is it cheating? Yes, by definition. But when the league knows it is, and doesn't care, who is really to blame?
    Major League Baseball wouldn't be the game it is today without the steroid era. Period.
    then explain why this chart ... http://www.businessinsider.com/popularity-nfl-mlb-nba-2015-2 shows baseball declining in popularity in the 90's?

this is the crux of cheating ... you are impacting people who had some integrity ... every hr, hit or whatever is invalid ... players who fought for jobs while others cheated may have lost opportunities or contracts ...

you guys can rationalize it however you want ... that's your choice ... it's ok to say you're ok with cheating ... not sure why you guys are so defensive about it ... it's like you know it's wrong so you make up reasons why it's ok ...
    edited August 2016
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

then explain why this chart ... http://www.businessinsider.com/popularity-nfl-mlb-nba-2015-2 shows baseball declining in popularity in the 90's?

this is the crux of cheating ... you are impacting people who had some integrity ... every hr, hit or whatever is invalid ... players who fought for jobs while others cheated may have lost opportunities or contracts ...

you guys can rationalize it however you want ... that's your choice ... it's ok to say you're ok with cheating ... not sure why you guys are so defensive about it ... it's like you know it's wrong so you make up reasons why it's ok ...
    I'm not rationalizing it. I'm saying all forms of cheating happen. so you draw your lines at steroids, that's fine.
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383

polaris_x said:

Yes the league fd up too. They wanted testing sooner but Donald Fehr (possibly one of the worst things to ever happen to mlb) and the players union had way too much power and vetoed it every time it came up for a long time.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I still think it's funny that Roger Clemens outsmarted Congress.

(i don't think it is funny that elected leaders put that much effort and time into a who-gives-a-fuck situation)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,857

pureoc said:

Bonds was. Not sure Arod was ever clean.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

That chart is not representative in any way of what I'm talking about. That's just polling what people say is their favorite sport. Baseball ticket sales and viewership still went up.
    So are we going to remove everyone from the HOF who played in the 70's and were amped up on speed or coke? Should we negate Doc Ellis' no-hitter because he threw it on acid?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    people still watch the Olympics. And that's steroid central
    I miss igotid88

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

That chart is not representative in any way of what I'm talking about. That's just polling what people say is their favorite sport. Baseball ticket sales and viewership still went up.
    So are we going to remove everyone from the HOF who played in the 70's and were amped up on speed or coke? Should we negate Doc Ellis' no-hitter because he threw it on acid?
    baseball viewership and ticket sales is up now ... in an era where it's expected players aren't cheating ... also, a lot of people got turned off baseball during the revelation of the use of drugs ...

dude ... two wrongs don't make a right ... so, someone pitched on acid years ago = steroids ok? ... again - rationalize it all you want ... if you're ok with peeps cheating - that's your choice ...
    igotid88 said:

these athletes are the most tested ... for sure cheaters are gonna find ways but as you can see from the retesting from London - you'll eventually get caught ... and cheaters are universally vilified in olympic sports ... just look at the booing of russian athletes and the comments from US athletes about cheaters ...
  • polaris_x said:

igotid88 said:

these athletes are the most tested ... for sure cheaters are gonna find ways but as you can see from the retesting from London - you'll eventually get caught ... and cheaters are universally vilified in olympic sports ... just look at the booing of russian athletes and the comments from US athletes about cheaters ...
    The IOC is a bunch of rotten cock-bags and people still watch, mostly turning a blind eye to what goes on prior to the games being played. They don't care about the atheletes, it is a big joke. While they may test to catch the cheaters, the IOC themselves put entertainment higher than humanity and the world eats it up.

Baseball should be an Olympic sport again. If Canoe Sprinting and Rhythmic Gymnastics are in....bring baseball back!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

baseball viewership and ticket sales is up now ... in an era where it's expected players aren't cheating ... also, a lot of people got turned off baseball during the revelation of the use of drugs ...

dude ... two wrongs don't make a right ... so, someone pitched on acid years ago = steroids ok? ... again - rationalize it all you want ... if you're ok with peeps cheating - that's your choice ...
    Baseball was down after the strike. 2 things brought baseball back afterwards: 1) Cal Ripkens iron man streak (if anyone think RipKen did use steroids, they are naive) and 2) Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire in 98. By then, it was well known that people juiced. And people didn't give a fuck. They wanted to see homeruns. And it wasn't just the hitters. Pitchers were juicing too. That's not a rationalization. It's a fact. Attendance was up across the league. I can remember numbers up 70 or 75% of players that used. I don't know how accurate that number was, but it wasn't surprising.

It's ok with me that you consider it cheating. It is. That doesn't mean they should be excluded as the greats of the game.
    Wobbie said:

pureoc said:

Just look at him in seattle compared to Texas and you can clearly see he wasn't juicing in seattle.

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

Baseball was down after the strike. 2 things brought baseball back afterwards: 1) Cal Ripkens iron man streak (if anyone think RipKen did use steroids, they are naive) and 2) Sammy Sosa and Mark McGuire in 98. By then, it was well known that people juiced. And people didn't give a fuck. They wanted to see homeruns. And it wasn't just the hitters. Pitchers were juicing too. That's not a rationalization. It's a fact. Attendance was up across the league. I can remember numbers up 70 or 75% of players that used. I don't know how accurate that number was, but it wasn't surprising.

It's ok with me that you consider it cheating. It is. That doesn't mean they should be excluded as the greats of the game.
    Bingo!
    Stealing signs isn't a written rule. If you get caught, you get one in the ear hole next time up. It's not cheating, but it's frowned upon. The same concept applies to the steroid era. Only difference is it wasn't frowned upon until the CBA allowed drug testing. Most fans are apologetic. Bonds doesn't get a pass because he was a dick well before he ever juiced. He was always the villian. Guys like Andy Petitte, Mcguire, Manny Ramirez, hell, even ARod got a pass. All great players.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,857
    steroids are science...like arthroscopic surgery, tommy john surgery, etc.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,747

polaris_x said:

Or the Greenies before that. They were the PED's of that era.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,747

Wobbie said:

pureoc said:

Just look at him in seattle compared to Texas and you can clearly see he wasn't juicing in seattle.
    Can't always go by just looks. Just take a look at Dee Gordon. He sure as hell doesn't look like a PED user to me.
    cutz said:

Wobbie said:

pureoc said:

Can't always go by just looks. Just take a look at Dee Gordon. He sure as hell doesn't look like a PED user to me.
    True, but the size difference is enormous. HGH doesn't make you bigger. I suppose arod could have used hgh and switched to steroids.
  • Nice game by Brandon Crawford tonight, 7-for-8 with 10 total bases. Sixth player to get at least seven hits in a game.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    edited August 2016

polaris_x said:

igotid88 said:

The IOC is a bunch of rotten cock-bags and people still watch, mostly turning a blind eye to what goes on prior to the games being played. They don't care about the atheletes, it is a big joke. While they may test to catch the cheaters, the IOC themselves put entertainment higher than humanity and the world eats it up.

Baseball should be an Olympic sport again. If Canoe Sprinting and Rhythmic Gymnastics are in....bring baseball back!
    i totally agree about the IOC but they don't handle the drug testing ... WADA and the individual country's ADA does ... baseball will be back for Tokyo ...
    Post edited by polaris_x on
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,821
    Now Tebow thinks he's going to be a baseball player??? This fucking guy.

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

so ... the assumption is that they would have been greats of the game regardless if they cheated or not?
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

so ... the assumption is that they would have been greats of the game regardless if they cheated or not?
    My guess is most would have been. Guys like bonds and arod, imo, were great before they used. We know McGuire used his entire career. Sosa probably wouldn't have been. Tough call on Roger clemons.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Release the Tebow!!!

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

My guess is most would have been. Guys like bonds and arod, imo, were great before they used. We know McGuire used his entire career. Sosa probably wouldn't have been. Tough call on Roger clemons.
    i guess that's the hard part ... who would and who wouldn't ...