MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• He has pitched for a few team...know he pitched for the Phils. Explain that one to a 9-10 year old. "His name is Bastard?"
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170

Wobbie said:

cutz said:

Wobbie said:

igotid88 said:

If David Ortiz gets in after failing a test. And everyone thinks he will. Then all the steroid guys should get in. Because there's no excuse.

fuck big sloppi.

and he will get in :angry:
    You wouldn't be saying that if he played for the Giants.
    true!

but no way in fucking hell is he "worthy" if Bonds isn't. Because Barry, you know, actually played in the games.
    Barry failed the same test that was supposed to be confidential as Sloppi did. Barry was convicted only of obstruction of justice for not answering a question after the Balco scandal. That conviction was later over turned on appeal. Sloppi should not get into HOF until after Bonds does. Sloppi has had a great career, Bonds had a top 5 player ever career.
    I see lots of love for Ortiz around here, huh. Well who cares about the HOF, the next time I visit Fenway Park all want to see is his retired number up amongst the other Sox greats will be enough for me.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,743

David Ortiz shouldn't get in because of being a fucking lifetime DH. Play the god damn field, ya tubby bastard.

That's almost like saying Mariano Rivera shouldn't get in, because all he did was pitch. And only pitched 1 inning(mostly) a game in no more then half the games of a season.

Why should a DH be penalized?

I think Edgar Martinez should be in the HOF.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,743
    Wobbie said:

cutz said:

Wobbie said:

igotid88 said:

If David Ortiz gets in after failing a test. And everyone thinks he will. Then all the steroid guys should get in. Because there's no excuse.

fuck big sloppi.

true!

but no way in fucking hell is he "worthy" if Bonds isn't. Because Barry, you know, actually played in the games.
    Bonds should be in.

How can it be a HOF without one of the best to ever play the game?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    cutz said:

Wobbie said:

cutz said:

Wobbie said:

igotid88 said:

fuck big sloppi.

true!

Bonds should be in.

*fixed
  • cutz said:

Wobbie said:

cutz said:

Wobbie said:

igotid88 said:

fuck big sloppi.

true!

Bonds should be in.

*fixed
    I can't give him that. Certainly one of the best but I go to Willie Mays or someone I know didnt jump 2 hat sizes roiding up. I am not one of those guys who blames them for roiding but if I clearly know that someone did it I have to wonder when comparing as the the best ever. His stats are simply amazing and it was lot of fun watching play sillyball with the league that last handful of years when nobody could figure out how to get him out.
    edited July 2016
    Eh, my hat size has increased since I was 22 and I don't even juice. He only ever hit 50 or more home runs once. He was just consistent for 22 years and feared by all. Compare his year-by-year statistics with Hank Aaron - practically identical.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • You don't think he juiced? I haven't met anyone who honestly held that position. (Again, I don't blame the guys who did it -- once it was known that 50+% of the league was doing it then it almost becomes fair play to do it.)
    Oh, I'm not saying he didn't. Just that he was a great player before there was ever any suspicion, and he continued that greatness throughout his entire career. In comparison to guys like Sosa who, through the first 9 years of his career, never hit any more than 36 dingers suddenly becomes a 50+ hitter every season... Bonds just kept on doing what he'd been doing.
  • Agree he was already a great player and likely HoF/all time player. The juice made him a monster but I cannot look past the body armor either. Hey -- one of those "if you 'aint cheating, you 'aint trying" time periods.
    Makes what Griffey did all the more amazing to me.
    I think they need to let Pete into the Hall and then let the roiders in the next year. (Reds fan logic, lol)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the primary issue i have with dopers is their lack of accountability and their unwillingness to admit they cheated ... i'd have way more respect for bonds if he said - ya, i tried to get an edge ... instead the dude lied and lied some more ... I guess integrity is not a qualification for the HOF but that's what bugs me most about some of these guys ...
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

Oh, I'm not saying he didn't. Just that he was a great player before there was ever any suspicion, and he continued that greatness throughout his entire career. In comparison to guys like Sosa who, through the first 9 years of his career, never hit any more than 36 dingers suddenly becomes a 50+ hitter every season... Bonds just kept on doing what he'd been doing.

You say that like hitting 36 dingers is easy.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place

That's my point - it's not. And then suddenly it's 66, 63, 50, 64...

Ok, other players have had significant jumps in their home run output. From 1993 to 2004 he had at least 25 home runs and had at least 35 home runs in 8 straight years. Juice or not, hes as much a hall of famer as bonds.
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    Bonds 7 time MVP, Sosa One.
    Bonds 8 gold gloves, Sosa zero.
    Bonds 514 Stolen Bases, Sosa 234

I have no issue with Sosa getting into the Hall but do not put him at the same level as Barry. Bonds is a top 5 player ever, Sosa didn't even make the most recent top 100.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    edited July 2016

Ok, other players have had significant jumps in their home run output. From 1993 to 2004 he had at least 25 home runs and had at least 35 home runs in 8 straight years. Juice or not, hes as much a hall of famer as bonds.
    I'm not saying one deserves the Hall and one doesn't. Of course Sosa should be in the Hall. The point was to show the ambiguity of steroid use by Bonds by comparing him to another probable user. I just happened to pick Sosa.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on

Bonds 7 time MVP, Sosa One.
    Bonds 8 gold gloves, Sosa zero.
    Bonds 514 Stolen Bases, Sosa 234

I have no issue with Sosa getting into the Hall but do not put him at the same level as Barry. Bonds is a top 5 player ever, Sosa didn't even make the most recent top 100.

Pretty sure I didn't put him in the same category with bonds. I said he's as much a hall of famer as bonds is.
    I also like to think I'm one of very few Cubs fans who still has a liking for Sosa. Sure, he burned some bridges and ran out his welcome... but for a number of years, when the Cubs weren't worth watching, Sammy still was!
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383

I also like to think I'm one of very few Cubs fans who still has a liking for Sosa. Sure, he burned some bridges and ran out his welcome... but for a number of years, when the Cubs weren't worth watching, Sammy still was!

I'd tend to think you are. I am happy he hasn't been welcomed back to wrigley or had his number retired. He is a disgrace, for using roids, as are bonds, clemens and all the others imo. Also he walked out on the team the last game of the 04 season. I have zero love or respect for him. One of my good friends still loves and praises sammy tho, so you aren't entirely alone. I do believe the majority of cubs fans share my feelings.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,856
    polaris_x said:

the primary issue i have with dopers is their lack of accountability and their unwillingness to admit they cheated ... i'd have way more respect for bonds if he said - ya, i tried to get an edge ... instead the dude lied and lied some more ... I guess integrity is not a qualification for the HOF but that's what bugs me most about some of these guys ...

there have only been TWO MLBers who have EVER willingly admitted to PED use - caminitti and canseco. piazza isn't goong to admit, ortiz isn't going to admit, bagwell isn't going to admit, griffey isn't going to admit, etc.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:

polaris_x said:

there have only been TWO MLBers who have EVER willingly admitted to PED use - caminitti and canseco. piazza isn't goong to admit, ortiz isn't going to admit, bagwell isn't going to admit, griffey isn't going to admit, etc.
    Griffey? Oh, Wob. :confused:
    Wobbie said:

polaris_x said:

and that's why I could care less if they made the HOF ... it's a true indication of the character of these guys ... not sure why people care so much for them ...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    polaris_x said:

Wobbie said:

polaris_x said:

and that's why I could care less if they made the HOF ... it's a true indication of the character of these guys ... not sure why people care so much for them ...
    Because they are entertaining and that's what sports are, entertainment.
    Wobbie said:

polaris_x said:

What about McGuire and ARod?
    Cubbies first team to 60 wins! Suck it, haters!

polaris_x said:

Wobbie said:

polaris_x said:

maybe that's why we have so many narcissists these days ... kids looking up to the wrong role models ...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

Wobbie said:

polaris_x said:

maybe that's why we have so many narcissists these days ... kids looking up to the wrong role models ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gqk4WPnrpM

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

Wobbie said:

polaris_x said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gqk4WPnrpM
    agree 100% ... it's too bad that's not a reflection of reality ...
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

Wobbie said:

polaris_x said:

The KarTRASHians, Honey Boo Boo, Duggars, etc are much worse for kids to look up to than an athlete who took steroids in an era that the league turned a blind eye to it.

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

Wobbie said:

polaris_x said:

The KarTRASHians, Honey Boo Boo, Duggars, etc are much worse for kids to look up to than an athlete who took steroids in an era that the league turned a blind eye to it.
    don't disagree with that but pretty sure reality tv stars are considered less of a role model than professional athletes ... if lebron, wade, paul and melo can stand up before the espy's and make some speech - pretty sure they recognize they are role models ...

as for the league turning a blind eye to it ... i totally accept that as well ... but why not just say that? ... these guys aren't playing anymore ...