MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Prince and Cecil fielder will both end their careers with 319 home runs. So weird
  • Astros just designated Carlos Gomez for assignment.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited August 2016

Astros just designated Carlos Gomez for assignment.

Dude has been a complete flop since going to houston.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • 2 seasons ago he was a 1st round pick in fantasy. To go from that to a contender just flat out cutting him in 16 months was a quick fall. Someone will pick him up. Don't know who but he will not be unemployed for long.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    I was never a big Fielder fan (mostly for beating the shit out of the Cubs all those years in Milwaukee) but he is certainly one of the most passionate players of the game. It's terrible to see his career end this way.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305

I was never a big Fielder fan (mostly for beating the shit out of the Cubs all those years in Milwaukee) but he is certainly one of the most passionate players of the game. It's terrible to see his career end this way.

I really resented the Rangers trading Ian Kinsler for him but he became a fan favorite. When he was healthy, he was great. Pretty emotional press conference.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,857
    sucks about Prince but he still gets nearly $100M.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    Even though he hasn't done much offensively this year. Losing Stanton for the rest of the year is huge. So far he hasn't been living up to the contract.
    I miss igotid88
    Mookie Betts may have just locked in the AL MVP.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,747
    igotid88 said:

Even though he hasn't done much offensively this year. Losing Stanton for the rest of the year is huge. So far he hasn't been living up to the contract.

Will the Marlins sign A-Rod now?
    cutz said:

igotid88 said:

No, the Yankees still owns his contract.

cutz said:

igotid88 said:

No, the Yankees still owns his contract.
    He can sign anywhere for the minimum and the yanks still owe him
    cutz said:

igotid88 said:

They can but will he want to play first?
    I miss igotid88
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,747
    igotid88 said:

cutz said:

igotid88 said:

They can but will he want to play first?
    He will if he wants to play. Unless, thers a AL team willing to sign him?
  • He sucks at this point -- reason the Yanks would pay him to go away. (Well, one of them)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • I don't think he gets signed this season. I could see someone taking a flyer on him and giving him a minor league deal for spring training next year. He is supposed to be much better in the locker room now and not the cancer he was before. If you are an AL team why not sign him and see if he can backup first, third and get some extra at bats in at DH here and there.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

I don't think he gets signed this season. I could see someone taking a flyer on him and giving him a minor league deal for spring training next year. He is supposed to be much better in the locker room now and not the cancer he was before. If you are an AL team why not sign him and see if he can backup first, third and get some extra at bats in at DH here and there.

I don't see arod signing a minor league deal.
  • I also can't see anyone giving him a guaranteed major league deal and have to add him to their 40 man roster right off the bat. If a-roid won't take a minor league deal he is done.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

I don't think he gets signed this season. I could see someone taking a flyer on him and giving him a minor league deal for spring training next year. He is supposed to be much better in the locker room now and not the cancer he was before. If you are an AL team why not sign him and see if he can backup first, third and get some extra at bats in at DH here and there.

I don't know that he was ever a cancer in the locker room
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

He definitely wasn't. I am certain that many of the Yanks veterans over the years have had their issues with him, but all the young players love him.

He sucks at this point -- reason the Yanks would pay him to go away. (Well, one of them)

He's not a .300 hitter anymore. But given a full season he was going to give you 30/80. Problem was he barely played. And they wanted the dh opened. And when he was in the starting lineup. They had a winnig record.
    I miss igotid88
  • 30/80? Wow, I would have thought the Yankees would have welcomed that with open arms.
    That would have made him the 2nd best hitter on their team, following Beltran. Why didn't they play him, then?

I would hold that it is because he wasnt going to hit well (not 30/80) and that they felt anyone they plugged in would do at least as well as him and likely better....and have more upside.

That is just my opinion though, I am not a Yanks follower so I am not up on the inside info as to why they wouldnt play a 30/80 with that hitting lineup they trotted out there, which proved to be without much power.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited August 2016
    Arod struck out a lot this year.

30/80? Wow, I would have thought the Yankees would have welcomed that with open arms.
    That would have made him the 2nd best hitter on their team, following Beltran. Why didn't they play him, then?

I would hold that it is because he wasnt going to hit well (not 30/80) and that they felt anyone they plugged in would do at least as well as him and likely better....and have more upside.

That is just my opinion though, I am not a Yanks follower so I am not up on the inside info as to why they wouldnt play a 30/80 with that hitting lineup they trotted out there, which proved to be without much power.

They wanted to get rid of him last year. But he started off great. So they had no choice to keep him. Then he started the season in a slump. And was given limited playing time made it easier for them. And when you're 41 and go into a slump is different when you're 31 and go into a slump.
    I miss igotid88
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    igotid88 said:

he must've been something to be treated the way he has been ... c'mon ... if he was really that cool of a guy - would the Yanks treat him like they are considering what they did for riviera and jeter? ...
    edited August 2016
    I couldn't see Arod hitting 30 home runs this year. With a full season he runs into 20-25 but also hits right around .200. If he stayed healthy.

As much as I clearly like the guy, he had no value as a bad DH who can't play the field at all.

This slump also goes back to early August of last year. It's been a full calendar year since he hit.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on

30/80? Wow, I would have thought the Yankees would have welcomed that with open arms.

30/80 is whay I came up with. He has 9 hr in 220? at bats. So consistent playing time and over 500 at bats I could see him getting close to that
    I miss igotid88
    polaris_x said:

igotid88 said:

he must've been something to be treated the way he has been ... c'mon ... if he was really that cool of a guy - would the Yanks treat him like they are considering what they did for riviera and jeter? ...
    he gets praised for how great of a locker room guy he is. especially with the young guys.
    I miss igotid88
    polaris_x said:

igotid88 said:

I think the Yankees and Arod are on as good terms as could possibly be expected given the last few years. I never envisioned things ending this well. It became too much of a distraction. Arod wasn't good enough to play and the Yanks want to give all the at bats they can to the likes of Gary Sanchez. After Arod sued the player's union, the Yankees, the Yankees doctors, the team gave him one last home game as a farewell. Yeah, I'd say he is not Jeter or Mo and doesn't deserve what Jeter or Mo got.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    they didn't even let him start at 3B as he requested for his last game ... and if he was such a great locker room guy - why not keep him up to mentor the young guys if he's that great ... especially with september coming up and your rosters can expand ...