MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,035
    edited July 2016
    Speaking of "creepy" and "Mike Trout...."
    My nephew's all star team plays Millville, NJ on Saturday in the first round of Sectionals after they won Districts.
    It takes 5 seconds last night upon hearing this for one of the parents to say "Oh, that is Mike Trout's old team" and another 5 seconds to tell a Mike Trout story.

"I was getting my nails done last year and this cute little 20-something blonde was in the chair next to me chatting about just returning from CA. I struck up a conversation with her and learned she had been out to see a baseball game, where she her boyfriend's brother is a player. I asked her who the player was...and she says 'Mike Trout'! She is dating Mike Trout's brother and tells me how great their family is and how good a guy Mike is.
    Now, I'm not the type to do this normally.,.....but, I asked her if I got her something to sign, if she thought she could get it signed for my son, who (like all kids in South Jersey) idolizes Mike Trout.
    She told me 'I don't do that, and he doesn't do that'
    I thanked her anyway, and thought to myself 'I don't like you and now I don't like him!'"

A few of the other people chuckled at this....and I wanted to tell her to take one hand and jam it up her ass and the other hand and jam it in her mouth. The girl is supposed to go to her boyfriend in NJ....ask him to mail something to his brother....to sign it, and to mail it back....then give it to his girlfriend, who will meet up with creepy baseball mom and give it to her, so her son can have it?
    She won't do it and you don't like her?
    Probably gets asked dumb shit like that all of the time. She shouldn't tell people who she knows.
    People around here worship that dude.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    Olney again reiterated that more and more players are open to allowing teams to void contracts of players that pop for PED's. I don't see this happening in the next CBA but is an interesting option. I would more like teams be able to void years instead of the whole deal. 32 year old player has 5 years remaining, let them void the last 3 but keep the terms of the first two if they want.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

Olney again reiterated that more and more players are open to allowing teams to void contracts of players that pop for PED's. I don't see this happening in the next CBA but is an interesting option. I would more like teams be able to void years instead of the whole deal. 32 year old player has 5 years remaining, let them void the last 3 but keep the terms of the first two if they want.

I just don't see the union buying into that.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Baseball players are quickly starting to bend over like NFL players

Wha?

Wha?
    For the league. The union giving in to too much shit

Wha?
    For the league. The union giving in to too much shit
    Ahhhh
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,699
    Apparently Chris Sale didn't want to wear the throwback uniform and cut them all up. Was sent home.
    I miss igotid88
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    edited July 2016
    Excited for IMO the greatest player to play his entire career in my lifetime (born in 1980) Ken Griffey Jr to go into the HOF tomorrow. He was a power hitter who played a gold glove CF. Our generations version of Willie Mays IMO. Sweetest swing you'd ever see. Congrats Kid!
    Post edited by pureoc on
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,213
    pureoc said:

Excited for IMO the greatest player to play his entire career in my lifetime (born in 1980) Ken Griffey Jr to go into the HOF tomorrow. He was a power hitter who played a gold glove CF. Our generations version of Willy Mays IMO. Sweetest swing you'd ever see. Congrats Kid!

I'm taping it since I'll be at the Yankee game but I can't wait to watch this.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Surprises me to see empty seats at the hall of fame ceremony.
    Sale seems like a turd

Sale seems like a turd

Yea, cry baby diva
    So I was looking at the list of all of the Hall of famers and the more I see it and see what the percentage of votes some of these no doubt hall of famers got, the more I am in favor of taking the votes away from the people that do not vote for certain people.

Here are just a few;
    Cal RipKen Jr. A no doubt about it guy got 98.5%. Thise 2 or 3 guys that didn't vote for him should lose their vote for life.

Tony Gwynn. One of the greatest hitters to ever play got 97%.

Rickey henderson. The greatest lead off man and stolen base leader got 94%.

Ozzie Smith. Considered by some as not only the best defensive SS of all time, but the best defensive player ever.l got only 91%.

Nolan Ryan. Most career strikeouts and no hitters. 98%.

My proposal: if a player gets 95% of the vote, the writers that don't for that guy loses his vote for 2 years. If it happens again to the same writer, he permanently loses his vote. There should be no reason why there hasn't been a unanimous vote.
  • I am not sold on Ozzie being be defensive SS ever, nor defender ever. HOF sure, but I thought he was overrated on D.

Agree that the 2 assholes who didn't vote Griffey should be slapped.

Empty seats? They said it was the 2nd largest crowd they ever had for one of these things. Looked packed -- I think people had to go hydrate or get shade at points. The weather has been brutally hot/humid last few weeks in NE.

At first I thought Sale cut up his jersey because he was a sally...now it turns out he cut up a shitload of them "with a knife?"
    What a jerk. Trade him.

I am not sold on Ozzie being be defensive SS ever, nor defender ever. HOF sure, but I thought he was overrated on D.

Empty seats? They said it was the 2nd largest crowd they ever had for one of these things. Looked packed -- I think people had to go hydrate or get shade at points. The weather has been brutally hot/humid last few weeks in NE.

At first I thought Sale cut up his jersey because he was a sally...now it turns out he cut up a shitload of them "with a knife?"
    What a jerk. Trade him.

They will trade him. That's not up for debate. It's just a matter of when.

I'm not sure how you can say ozzie isn't one of the best defensive SS ever. Who is better? He's in the hall for 1 reason, defense. He was around a career .300 hitter with zero power.

As the ceremony began, there was a camera shot from where the MLB channel broadcasters were towards the stage. There appeared to be a block of seats, maybe 30-50 that were empty.
    I say that about ozzie being a die hard cub fan. I hate the cardinals. But I can't deny the wizards greatness.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,699
    edited July 2016

I am not sold on Ozzie being be defensive SS ever, nor defender ever. HOF sure, but I thought he was overrated on D.

What a jerk. Trade him.

I'm not sure how you can say ozzie isn't one of the best defensive SS ever. Who is better? He's in the hall for 1 reason, defense. He was around a career .300 hitter with zero power.

As the ceremony began, there was a camera shot from where the MLB channel broadcasters were towards the stage. There appeared to be a block of seats, maybe 30-50 that were empty.
    Ozzie wasn't anywhere near a .300 hitter. Great defense. An okay hitter. If you didn't know who he was and saw his numbers. You probably wouldn't think HOF. If he doesn't have a World Series title he probably doesn't get in first ballot.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

What a jerk. Trade him.

Ozzie wasn't anywhere near a .300 hitter. Great defense. An okay hitter. If you didn't know who he was and saw his numbers. You probably wouldn't think HOF.
    Yea, he only hit .300 once. Career .263. Which proves my point even more that he is one of the greatest defensive SS of all time. Because you really can't get into the hall with his offensive numbers.
  • igotid88 said:

What a jerk. Trade him.

Ozzie wasn't anywhere near a .300 hitter. Great defense. An okay hitter. If you didn't know who he was and saw his numbers. You probably wouldn't think HOF.
    Yea, he only hit .300 once. Career .263. Which proves my point even more that he is one of the greatest defensive SS of all time. Because you really can't get into the hall with his offensive numbers.
    Think it proves my point that he is Overrated. (Think of him as the Jim Edmonds (fielding wise) of the infield.) Full disclosure that I am a Reds fan and was pissed for many years when he started in the ASG over Larkin, even though he couldnt carry Larkin's jock as an all around player. (And he was gifted a few of those golden gloves in his 13 yr streak I think)
    Who is better?
    Omar Vizquel, imo, is the best I ever saw. He did it all with the glove -- and none with his light pants backflips across the field.
    Tony Fernandez is in the same category as Ozzie.
    Davey C?

igotid88 said:

What a jerk. Trade him.

Think it proves my point that he is Overrated. (Think of him as the Jim Edmonds (fielding wise) of the infield.) Full disclosure that I am a Reds fan and was pissed for many years when he started in the ASG over Larkin, even though he couldnt carry Larkin's jock as an all around player. (And he was gifted a few of those golden gloves in his 13 yr streak I think)
    Who is better?
    Omar Vizquel, imo, is the best I ever saw. He did it all with the glove -- and none with his light pants backflips across the field.
    Davey C?
    Wow. Larkin is definitely a better hitter than Smith was. But I think you guys are forgetting how good ozzie was in the field. I was able to watch alot of both of them play as they played in the cubs division.

Vizquel was a defensive God as well. He played 24 big league seasons and had 10 or less errors in 14 of those 24 years. In 24 seasons, he has only 183 career errors. He averaged 112 games per year. So he stayed on the field. Hard to top omar.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,821

Sale seems like a turd

Yeah, just a bit. The white sox are a fucking disaster.
  • igotid88 said:

What a jerk. Trade him.

Who is better?
    Davey C?
    Wow. Larkin is definitely a better hitter than Smith was. But I think you guys are forgetting how good ozzie was in the field. I was able to watch alot of both of them play as they played in the cubs division.

Vizquel was a defensive God as well. He played 24 big league seasons and had 10 or less errors in 14 of those 24 years. In 24 seasons, he has only 183 career errors. He averaged 112 games per year. So he stayed on the field. Hard to top omar.
    Larkin was far superior defensively the last handful of years Ozzie was living on backflips and bjs. Ozzie was clearly better defensively before that. Offensively they were not in the same stratosphere. Larkin 2x the player with the bat.

I remember Omar being a better hitter than Ozzie too, although I didnt look it up to check it. Ozzie was a big smile and fun for the fans. This bolstered his image while playing and makes people think he was the best defensive guy ever, imo.

More proof? You admit Ozzie was weak with the bat. How many all star games did he make?

Omar made 3.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Vizquel is the best SS I've ever seen defensively. Ozzie was dazzling, but I wouldn't call him the greatest. Former Cub Rey Sanchez was better, statistically, at short than Ozzie. Played 15 seasons only had 10 or more errors 3 times.
    While Ozzie wasn't a power hitter (or much of a hitter at all), he did have great base-running instincts (nearly 600 career steals) and excellent plate discipline (drew 500 more walks than struck out in his career).
  • Ozzie 15 ASG .262 hitter / 2460 hits / 28 hr / 793 RBI / 1072 BB / 580 SB
    Omar 3 ASG .272 hitter / 2877 hits / 80 HR / 951 RBI / 1028 BB / 404 SB

Omar has better fielding stats and for my money, was the better fielder. Shows above he was a better hitter, although they both played forever and didn't hit too much more than singles.

Something seems out of whack here. Either Ozzie is where he should be or he is way overrated.....Omar is where he should be or way underrated

igotid88 said:

What a jerk. Trade him.

Who is better?
    Davey C?

Larkin was far superior defensively the last handful of years Ozzie was living on backflips and bjs. Ozzie was clearly better defensively before that. Offensively they were not in the same stratosphere. Larkin 2x the player with the bat.

I remember Omar being a better hitter than Ozzie too, although I didnt look it up to check it. Ozzie was a big smile and fun for the fans. This bolstered his image while playing and makes people think he was the best defensive guy ever, imo.

More proof? You admit Ozzie was weak with the bat. How many all star games did he make?

Omar made 3.
    You're asking me how many all star games did ozzie Smith play in? My guess would be 8. I don't know. All star selections never meant that much to me. Vizquel was fucked from a popularity contest point of view. Which is how you get voted in. He had to deal with Cal RipKen late in his career. Then Derek Jeter and Nomar Garciaparra. Then A-rod. It was tough to get I to the all star game on defense alone.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,856
    you only get to vote for so many guys so some writers will leave off a sure thing in order to vote for someone they are passionate about. no big deal.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,856
    here's how I could justify not 100% for some of your guys:

nolan - 324 wins in 27 years, plus .526 winning percentage

cal - phony ass, self promoting "iron man" streak....even when his playing may have hurt the team.

rickey - steroids?

ozzie - what F'me said
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited July 2016
    Wobbie said:

here's how I could justify not 100% for some of your guys:

nolan - 324 wins in 27 years, plus .526 winning percentage

cal - phony ass, self promoting "iron man" streak....even when his playing may have hurt the team.

rickey - steroids?

ozzie - what F'me said

There is absolutely no reason to not vote for a "sure thing" so that you can add Steve bedrosian to your ballot. If you don't vote for that sure thing, you lose your vote. Fuck that.

The steroids argument is old.

Self promoting? Seriously? The iron man streak saved the game before sosa/Mcguire race.