MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    cutz said:

Anyone watch the Doc & Darryl 30 for 30 last night? I missed it.

Yeah, and Dwight Gooden is not looking well.
    Was just about to say the same thing.

Houston is catching up!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Finally watched the Doc and Darryl thing last night. Interesting....and Doc is a shifty mother fucker in the diner -- my money is on him still using.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,821

Finally watched the Doc and Darryl thing last night. Interesting....and Doc is a shifty mother fucker in the diner -- my money is on him still using.

Yeah. Doc didn't look well at all. Hopefully he can really get his shit together at some point. It's still amazing that he was so good as a SP at 19 years old.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

Finally watched the Doc and Darryl thing last night. Interesting....and Doc is a shifty mother fucker in the diner -- my money is on him still using.

I thought the same thing.

I remember watching those 86 Mets, primarily when they would beat the shit out of the cubs. Gooden was so good. And I hated strawberry for how well he used to hit the cubs.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    Damn. Feds dropped the hammer on the Cards scouting director that hacked the Astros computer systems. 46 months in the pokey.

Now MLB will drop the hammer on the Cards. I'm going to guess loss of draft picks and they have to sit out the next 2 international signing periods.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,855
    mfc2006 said:

cutz said:

Anyone watch the Doc & Darryl 30 for 30 last night? I missed it.

Yeah, and Dwight Gooden is not looking well.
    Was just about to say the same thing.

Houston is catching up!!!
    "our" astros are looking good! :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

Damn. Feds dropped the hammer on the Cards scouting director that hacked the Astros computer systems. 46 months in the pokey.

Now MLB will drop the hammer on the Cards. I'm going to guess loss of draft picks and they have to sit out the next 2 international signing periods.

Yeah, holy hell. 4 years?

MLB has to. I think it has to be bigger than that.
    I think MLB will set a precedence to the other teams this shit won't fly. Goodell suspending Brady 4 games and taking away a 1st round pick from Pats over a little air is going to be nothing compared to the punishment Cards will get.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle

I remember watching those 86 Mets, primarily when they would beat the shit out of the cubs. Gooden was so good. And I hated strawberry for how well he used to hit the cubs.
    dudes have been beating and hitting the Cubs for 100+ years :sleepy:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

dudes have been beating and hitting the Cubs for 100+ years :sleepy:

Dumb
    This latest ESPN top 100 baseball players is already dumb and we only have 100-91. King Felix is not a top 100 player of all time. He is rated higher than Stargell, Sandeberg and Bagwell on the list.

Dumb.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • I read the top 10 LHP, top 10 RHP, and top 10 Catchers lists this weekend -- I thought they were pretty good picks. Trying to then mix/match I am sure if going to make some people itchy.
    Saw the next 20 and I will no longer read. Bryce Harper as one of the top 100 of all time is a travesty. As a Giants fan I thought Posey was rated too high. He may end up in the top 5 catchers ever but that is all projection and has no business being in a top ever list.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    babe ruth is overrated but I'm good with Bonds at #3

honis wagner was pretty good when I saw him play.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Harper is one of the all time 100 players? Yeah....ummm, he has played 3-4 years.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    edited July 2016
    Wobbie said:

babe ruth is overrated but I'm good with Bonds at #3

honis wagner was pretty good when I saw him play.

Ahh, so you have seen the Cubs win it all!! No wonder you hate them, finishing directly ahead of the Giants twice from 1906-1908. Being the first team to appear in 3 straight World Series, the first to win back-to-back World Series, etc. It aaaaalllllll makes sense now! :smiley:
    yep. bitter :lol:

2 things I remember about doc and darryl as pertaining to (of course) the Giants:

the 100 loss Giants of 1985 gave doc one of his 4 losses in 1985. pre internet, pre ESPN, I remember the headline of my local ohio newspaper. it was nearly unbelievable.

when darryl came to the Giants, Bonds went on a tear. then, darryl relapsed. at the time, I hated darryl, mainly because he had been a d**ger. DARE-UL, DARE-UL.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    So when I tried to copy and paste the WAR Calculations here, it was over 26,000 characters too long for this forum. By far the most overrated stat used in sports.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,742

So when I tried to copy and paste the WAR Calculations here, it was over 26,000 characters too long for this forum. By far the most overrated stat used in sports.

I'm a baseball fan and i don't really understand what WAR is, and how they calculated it. Is it, more or less, an opinionated stat?
    I agree on WAR and let's get one thing straight about it. WAR isn't a statistic, it's a theory with a numerical value assigned to its final result. It stands for wins above replacement. It is intended to measure the number of games the team won by having that player in the lineup vs the number of games you'd expect the team to win while subbing for that player.
    The problem with it is that it is - no matter what any sabermetric fanboy will tell you - just a theory. There is no cut and dry measurement that tells you how many more games you win.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,698
    There are some really great players who have lower WARs than expected
    I miss igotid88
    I agree WAR is just a theory but like it. It tries to quantify defense and base running instead of only evaluating offense. Duvall is a great example. Dude is launching homers constantly but is pretty much a drag on your team in every other facet of the game. Great player, don't get me wrong but he only excels in the flashy stats.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    I like WAR too, because of what Ani stated with incorporating defense and baserunning. Is it the end-all, be-all statistic? No, but I believe it does an excellent job of determining the overall value of a player. There have been a couple of analysis studies that have shown that a team's record based on WAR vs a team's actual record has a strong correlation.
  • He isnt a bad fielder. I know you are sore over trading him away but his Ks are what downgrade him.
    Right now Duvall is tied for #27 in 2016 Defensive WAR Leaders, however the heck that is factored.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    A better example would have been Adam Dunn. Dude could definitely mash, but didn't provide much more than that.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,698
    Wobbie said:
    Wins above replacement
    I miss igotid88
    War is stupid
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,742
    So, WAR is not a concrete stat. Can't be when it's based on opinion on defense & base running.
    cutz said:

So, WAR is not a concrete stat. Can't be when it's based on opinion on defense & base running.

Correct.
    And I don't mind using it as a consideration, but the sabermetric lovers act like it is the end-all, be-all of baseball "stats" when it isn't even a stat. Jeff Passan, for example, has this creepy obsession with Mike Trout and will write article upon article about Trout's WAR value and how he should win MVP every year.