MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

The long rumored Porcello-Cespedes trade is happening.

Not a little bit nervous about Boston's rotation as of now. Some young and potentially good pitchers, but nothing that makes me nervous.

Is Porcello that good? His career era is very high. Are there other players involved?
    Porcello had a very good year last year and has been in the league for a long time for his age, but no, he is not that good. Boston has a bunch of middle of the rotation guys.

The game has definitely swung in the balance of prospects, but I gotta say - I think last year was just a preamble to this season, as well as the complete polar opposite. I guess you'll see a lot more activity in the future during the off-season and not quite during the trade deadline.

The extra wild card. Not many teams selling at the deadline since so many teams are in it.

No I have to hate shark. Of all the fucking team, it had to be the Sox.

Cubs fan, I assume?
    Yes, fortunately sharks loves the cubs. I see him playing one season on the devils side of Chicago then resigning with the cubs afterwards.
    He also grew up a Sox fan in Indiana. Hopefully the Sox can work out something w/ him long term.

You seem to have some hate for the Sox there. Always blows my mind when Sox/Cubs fans are so concerned about the other team in town....only time I care about the Cubs is the stupid 3-4 games they play the Sox in the regular season.
    Yes. I hate the Shiite Sox. Should it surprise anyone that a life long, die hard cub fan doesn't like their cross town rival?
    Shiiite Sox...that's a good one. Real original. I'm a lifelong, die hard Sox fan and I could give 2 shits about the Cubs....don't root for them, don't root against them. I'm indifferent.

Funny that you throw the word rival around. Up until interleague play started 15years ago, they didn't even play in the regular season! Like I said in my original comment, it amazes me that so many people are so concerned about the other team when in reality, they have little to no impact on each other. There will always be a little shit-talking amongst your friends who like the other team, but I'll never understand the people that have the absolute hatred for the Cubs or Sox. Seems silly to me.
    It is the same with the Mets and Yankees. I couldn't give two shits about the Mets but Mets fans LOATHE the Yankees. It happens when one team is better than the other.
  • No I have to hate shark. Of all the fucking team, it had to be the Sox.

Cubs fan, I assume?
    Yes, fortunately sharks loves the cubs. I see him playing one season on the devils side of Chicago then resigning with the cubs afterwards.
    He also grew up a Sox fan in Indiana. Hopefully the Sox can work out something w/ him long term.

You seem to have some hate for the Sox there. Always blows my mind when Sox/Cubs fans are so concerned about the other team in town....only time I care about the Cubs is the stupid 3-4 games they play the Sox in the regular season.
    Yes. I hate the Shiite Sox. Should it surprise anyone that a life long, die hard cub fan doesn't like their cross town rival?
    Shiiite Sox...that's a good one. Real original. I'm a lifelong, die hard Sox fan and I could give 2 shits about the Cubs....don't root for them, don't root against them. I'm indifferent.

Funny that you throw the word rival around. Up until interleague play started 15years ago, they didn't even play in the regular season! Like I said in my original comment, it amazes me that so many people are so concerned about the other team when in reality, they have little to no impact on each other. There will always be a little shit-talking amongst your friends who like the other team, but I'll never understand the people that have the absolute hatred for the Cubs or Sox. Seems silly to me.
    Ok. I don't like em. No big deal. I also hate the cardinals. And in the nfl, I hate Dallas and Miami. I'm truly sorry for offending you.

Before interleague play, you know that the cubs and Sox played an exhibition game at some point mid season. I didn't like them then. They are rivals in the same way the Mets/Yankees were rivals before interleague play. There's always been a rivalry between the two teams.

Cubs fan, I assume?

Ok. I don't like em. No big deal. I also hate the cardinals. And in the nfl, I hate Dallas and Miami. I'm truly sorry for offending you.

Before interleague play, you know that the cubs and Sox played an exhibition game at some point mid season. I didn't like them then. They are rivals in the same way the Mets/Yankees were rivals before interleague play. There's always been a rivalry between the two teams.
    Not offended at all...just talking. I hate plenty of teams...usually they're division rivals or obnoxious teams like the Cowboys.

You think there's a rivalry. I really don't see a rivalry at all. Media and some fans try to create one, but I just don't see it.

Cubs fan, I assume?

It is the same with the Mets and Yankees. I couldn't give two shits about the Mets but Mets fans LOATHE the Yankees. It happens when one team is better than the other.
    I can almost understand it a little bit in NY where one team is so much better, but I just don't get it in Chicago where besides the Sox in 2005, both teams have been pretty bad for the past 100 years.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861

I'm super excited. The Reds made......oh yeah, never mind. No moves! :(

they're making moves now....fire sale....I lived in Ohio in the Big Red Machine years and can't believe the way they now do business.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

The game has definitely swung in the balance of prospects, but I gotta say - I think last year was just a preamble to this season, as well as the complete polar opposite. I guess you'll see a lot more activity in the future during the off-season and not quite during the trade deadline.

The extra wild card. Not many teams selling at the deadline since so many teams are in it.
    what cliff is trying to say is......if the fucking Giants can keep winning it, anyone can win it!

fuck the d**gers.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • So much for the Yankees standing firm that they wouldn't do 4 years on Headley. The dollar amount isn't that bad but why do teams make public stances on things if they are too weak to keep that stance. Although this is just another player the Giants wanted I'm happy they have the balls to say No to something and to mean it.

The Yankees should just cave now and giver Scherzer that 7 year 200 million deal he wants. They can keep saying they won't do it when everyone else knows this is how it will play out in the early spring.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • imalive said:

they're making moves now....fire sale....I lived in Ohio in the Big Red Machine years and can't believe the way they now do business.

With the other contacts they have they could never afford to keep their pitching but giving away Latos just seems wrong. Would rather they rolled him out another year and lost him for nothing....
    I dont much care for Simon and was fine with trying to parlay his big year into some prospects.
    With Votto/Bruce/Phillips/Chapman having hefty contracts and Cueto and to a lesser extent Leake/Frazier lining up for big contracts it is a tough spot. Cincy tried for a few years to play in the "Big Salary" air and now they will go back down to 100 million or less I imagine.

The love he receives is the love that is saved

imalive said:

With the other contacts they have they could never afford to keep their pitching but giving away Latos just seems wrong. Would rather they rolled him out another year and lost him for nothing....
    I dont much care for Simon and was fine with trying to parlay his big year into some prospects.
    With Votto/Bruce/Phillips/Chapman having hefty contracts and Cueto and to a lesser extent Leake/Frazier lining up for big contracts it is a tough spot. Cincy tried for a few years to play in the "Big Salary" air and now they will go back down to 100 million or less I imagine.

Do they currently have or are they getting a lucrative TV deal? I'm suspicious when almost any team cries poor mouth anymore. It did seem to be bad luck, however, in seemingly the whole rotation having the same walk year.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    The Brewers are going to have a "The Selig Experience" exhibit at Miller Park.

I kid you not.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive said:

imalive said:

Do they currently have or are they getting a lucrative TV deal? I'm suspicious when almost any team cries poor mouth anymore. It did seem to be bad luck, however, in seemingly the whole rotation having the same walk year.

I seem to recall that their new TV deal would come in a few years. Owner seems willing to spend realistically which is understandable. I think it is obviously very difficult to do what the rays and As have done. Reds were just outside top ten salary last year but the will drop down this year I think. Oh well will still root root root for the redlegs!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive said:

I kid you not.

i don't think that was what jimi was talking about
    norm said:

imalive said:

I kid you not.

i don't think that was what jimi was talking about
    no, but I often did think Bud was in some sort of a purple haze....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    What a fucking offseason for the Padres
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Cliffy6745 wrote: »

Yeah, they are giving up a lot of prospects, but I like their moves. The Upton, Kemp, Myers OF could be pretty sick. Norris is a solid catcher. Gyorko should have a better season this year. Might turn into a fun team to watch.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    jervin007 wrote: »

Yeah, they are giving up a lot of prospects, but I like their moves. The Upton, Kemp, Myers OF could be pretty sick. Norris is a solid catcher. Gyorko should have a better season this year. Might turn into a fun team to watch.

Yeah, man. Plus they are getting a ton of money thrown in. Nice to see a team like that make huge moves like this. That is an awesome middle of the order/outfield.

they're the Padres....they'll figure out a way to fuck it up. ....I hope.

Bud Selig to receive $6M in an annual pension. Good lord.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote: »
    The Brewers are going to have a "The Selig Experience" exhibit at Miller Park.<br />
    <br />
    I kid you not.<br />
    <br />
    i don't think that was what jimi was talking about<br />
    <br />
    no, but I often did think Bud was in some sort of a purple haze....
    Ya know, I think there was potential here for a whole thread of what the exhibit could cover. . . .
    :-?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    And now Wil Middlebrooks. Jesus, this is wild. This is awesome.
  • Tim Kurtjian made an interesting statement. I'm paraphrasing but it was something to the effect of "this generation of general managers are playing a real life form of fantasy baseball. They will do anything to get the best players in the market."

I think he's 100% correct. There have been moves made in the last few seasons that 25 years ago wouldn't have been. It's definitely fun for the fans to watch their teams build what they think will be a winning team. As a cub fan, I can't wait to see what the next few season bring. I'm sure Padre fans feel the same way.
    Tim Kurtjian made an interesting statement. I'm paraphrasing but it was something to the effect of "this generation of general managers are playing a real life form of fantasy baseball. They will do anything to get the best players in the market."<br />
    <br />
    I think he's 100% correct. There have been moves made in the last few seasons that 25 years ago wouldn't have been. It's definitely fun for the fans to watch their teams build what they think will be a winning team. As a cub fan, I can't wait to see what the next few season bring. I'm sure Padre fans feel the same way.

I think it sucks....watch a new team every year.....boo.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote: »
    Tim Kurtjian made an interesting statement. I'm paraphrasing but it was something to the effect of "this generation of general managers are playing a real life form of fantasy baseball. They will do anything to get the best players in the market."<br />
    <br />

I think it sucks....watch a new team every year.....boo.

^^this

• I agree that GM Jon Daniels has been playing fantasy baseball with the Rangers but there's nothing exciting about his attempts to fuck up build the team. Most fans are in complete despair about the 2015 season.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • I agree that GM Jon Daniels has been playing fantasy baseball with the Rangers but there's nothing exciting about his attempts to fuck up build the team. Most fans are in complete despair about the 2015 season.

That's the downside of this. Somebody always has to finish last.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Looks like the padres get to keep austin hedges in the upton deal. Makes the deal even better
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    imalive wrote: »

Bud Selig to receive $6M in an annual pension. Good lord.

budraincoat.jpg
    www.myspace.com
    In 1965 sandy Koufax has 382 strikeouts in 335 innings

I love baseball
    The Nationals jumped into the wayback machine and signed Dan Uggla and Heath Bell.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16