MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861

Ahh crap, the Cards get better. They must have been update that the Giants are trying to one up them.

espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11892064/atlanta-braves-trade-jason-heyward-jordan-walden-st-louis-cardinals-shelby-miller-tyrell-jenkins

they didn't get better. Heyward gets crappier by the year.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive said:

Ahh crap, the Cards get better. They must have been update that the Giants are trying to one up them.

espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11892064/atlanta-braves-trade-jason-heyward-jordan-walden-st-louis-cardinals-shelby-miller-tyrell-jenkins

Hope you are right! (These things have a way of working out for them.)
    And, I also embrace NL Dominance by the Giants vs. having the Cards be that team. :)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Toronto gives Russell Martin 5 years for $82M. For a 32 year old catcher.....let the ridiculous spending begin!!
  • Toronto gives Russell Martin 5 years for $82M. For a 32 year old catcher.....let the ridiculous spending begin!!

That is a fucking joke. Even for a native of Toronto.

Enjoyed his time with the Buccos' but glad they did not pay anything close to that.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...

That is absurd.
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,639

Toronto gives Russell Martin 5 years for $82M. For a 32 year old catcher.....let the ridiculous spending begin!!

Enjoyed his time with the Buccos' but glad they did not pay anything close to that.
    The Bucs should have locked him up last winter, it would have been much cheaper than 5/82.. They knew what they had and made no effort. They're gonna make the same mistake with Walker, instead of extending now they'll let him walk next winter. They make it impossible to root for them at times.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023 • Baltimore 2024

imalive said:

That's a great deal for the Cards. Got a 25 year old Gold Glove OF with 25-30 HR potential. The Cards don't make poor decisions very often.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    thank you, blue jays.

signed, a dodgers fan

Yep...just an absolutely ridiculous contract. I really don't get what some of these teams are thinking with these contracts. Unfortunately, this is just the start of all this nonsense....
  • RS151862 said:

imalive said:

That's a great deal for the Cards. Got a 25 year old Gold Glove OF with 25-30 HR potential. The Cards don't make poor decisions very often.
    I think it's basically a wash when it comes to the potential upside of either Miller or Heyward. I think it's a couple of guys who have a lot of potential that could just use a change of scenery. Heyward does have 25-30 potential, but Miller has the talent to be a 20 game winner. He hasn't found his groove yet, but the talent is there.
    The thing that bothers me as a Cardinals fan (not a BEST FANS IN BASEBALL fuck), Heyward is a free agent after this season. I'm never a fan of deals when a guy has one year left. He will rip it up on the field and then the price will go up.

RS151862 said:

imalive said:

I think it's basically a wash when it comes to the potential upside of either Miller or Heyward. I think it's a couple of guys who have a lot of potential that could just use a change of scenery. Heyward does have 25-30 potential, but Miller has the talent to be a 20 game winner. He hasn't found his groove yet, but the talent is there.
    The thing that bothers me as a Cardinals fan (not a BEST FANS IN BASEBALL fuck), Heyward is a free agent after this season. I'm never a fan of deals when a guy has one year left. He will rip it up on the field and then the price will go up.
    I wonder if StL sees Heyward as their long term replacement for Tavares. They certainly have the ability to sign him long term after this season if they wanted to.

Yep...just an absolutely ridiculous contract. I really don't get what some of these teams are thinking with these contracts. Unfortunately, this is just the start of all this nonsense....
    It's a GM trying to save face with the fanbase. Apparently they've been given the go ahead to spend this offseason, so this might just be the first of a few bad contracts handed out by them.
    RS151862 said:

imalive said:

If he's got 25-30 HR, then so do I. He hit 11 last year in 149 games. He'll never meet his initial hype.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401

Its risky, but I think Stanton should have waited two years and gone the free agent route for his payday. No way I'd want to be tied to Loria.

so you're saying you would have turned down 325 million dollars?
    www.myspace.com
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    imalive said:

RS151862 said:

imalive said:

If he's got 25-30 HR, then so do I. He hit 11 last year in 149 games. He'll never meet his initial hype.

He is still young and I do think the best is yet to come with Heyward. The Brave definitely brought him up prematurely. Will be interesting to see what the Cardinals organization can do with him. They definitely have a good track record with younger players and have some older veterans would can mentor him.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,415

Toronto gives Russell Martin 5 years for $82M. For a 32 year old catcher.....let the ridiculous spending begin!!

not sure what is worse, the 5 years or the $16.4 million per year. just a crazy contract.

as for the Stanton deal...for a guy who never hit .300 or 40 home runs in a season it's unbelievably massive in length and dollars. these teams committing to these years in the contracts are just out of whack. why would you ever give a guy a 10 year deal? seems stupid.
  • pjhawks said:

not sure what is worse, the 5 years or the $16.4 million per year. just a crazy contract.

as for the Stanton deal...for a guy who never hit .300 or 40 home runs in a season it's unbelievably massive in length and dollars. these teams committing to these years in the contracts are just out of whack. why would you ever give a guy a 10 year deal? seems stupid.
    A 10 year deal is bad enough, but the notoriously cheap Marlins commit to a 13 year deal?!?!? What a joke....no chance Stanton finishes that contract in Miami.
    edited November 2014

pjhawks said:

A 10 year deal is bad enough, but the notoriously cheap Marlins commit to a 13 year deal?!?!? What a joke....no chance Stanton finishes that contract in Miami.
    They signed Hanley to a $100 million deal and traded him a year later.

Assuming he continues his current production its really a 6 year deal. Like Arods first deal, he can opt out after 6 years, become a free agent, and sign a second mega deal like Arod did. His contract will probably look reasonable in a few years once Trout signs for $500 million..

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    RS151862 said:

pjhawks said:

They signed Hanley to a $100 million deal and traded him a year later.

Assuming he continues his current production its really a 6 year deal. Like Arods first deal, he can opt out after 6 years, become a free agent, and sign a second mega deal like Arod did. His contract will probably look reasonable in a few years once Trout signs for $500 million..
    fucking ridiculous
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited November 2014
    His contract is so backloaded it probably won't make sense for him to opt out. Will be interesting to see

If he is on the marlins in 6 years will be interesting to see what happens. Marlins will be praying he opts out and the first 6 years will be a bargain.

Interesting situation
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    $68K, every day, for the next 13 years @-)

I have no problem with these deals.......except that we fans end up paying for them X( . Everybody is getting rich in every sport and ticket prices keep going higher and higher and higher...

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive said:

$68K, every day, for the next 13 years @-)

I have no problem with these deals.......except that we fans end up paying for them X( . Everybody is getting rich in every sport and ticket prices keep going higher and higher and higher...

Thankfully the teams have 80+ home games (depending on playoffs) to generate money in baseball. I agree with your statement completely and the sports with shorter seasons really ream the fans.
  • Its risky, but I think Stanton should have waited two years and gone the free agent route for his payday. No way I'd want to be tied to Loria.

hard to say- and the way the contract is built, he is not turning down all that much. He was a free agent in two years, and with arbitration, he was looking at maybe 7 or 8 million next year and then 12-15 the next. Which I think is close what he gets in the first 2 years of his new deal. Had he not signed, he may have easily have had the same contract, or even more, from the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc. And been playing on a team that will try to win.

Given Loria's history, he could turn and dump his roster after next season if it does not look like they will win. Or half way through the season.

Given Loria's history, he could turn and dump his roster after next season if it does not look like they will win. Or half way through the season.

I'd say theres right around a 0% chance Stanton finishes this contract in Miami.

• Its risky, but I think Stanton should have waited two years and gone the free agent route for his payday. No way I'd want to be tied to Loria.

Loria is such a jerkoff. Not shocking at all that Girardi and Guillen only lasted 1 year working for this clown.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

Its risky, but I think Stanton should have waited two years and gone the free agent route for his payday. No way I'd want to be tied to Loria.

hard to say- and the way the contract is built, he is not turning down all that much. He was a free agent in two years, and with arbitration, he was looking at maybe 7 or 8 million next year and then 12-15 the next. Which I think is close what he gets in the first 2 years of his new deal. Had he not signed, he may have easily have had the same contract, or even more, from the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc. And been playing on a team that will try to win.

And he could get drilled in the face again and end his career, or have another injury. I'd take the $325 million when it's offered.

And he could get drilled in the face again and end his career, or have another injury. I'd take the $325 million when it's offered.
    Like I said, its hard to say, and a good point, but he has not taken $325 million at this point. if he does have a career injury he is set and the Marlins will be devastated. Or he could be making less than he is worth and the Marlins dump their team and suck for the next 6 years until he can escape.

hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/18/giancarlo-stantons-contract-as-is-backloaded-really-backloaded/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Loria is such a jerkoff.
    yes.....yes, he is.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13