MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    edited November 2014

Its risky, but I think Stanton should have waited two years and gone the free agent route for his payday. No way I'd want to be tied to Loria.

so you're saying you would have turned down 325 million dollars?
    hard to say- and the way the contract is built, he is not turning down all that much. He was a free agent in two years, and with arbitration, he was looking at maybe 7 or 8 million next year and then 12-15 the next. Which I think is close what he gets in the first 2 years of his new deal. Had he not signed, he may have easily have had the same contract, or even more, from the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc. And been playing on a team that will try to win.

Given Loria's history, he could turn and dump his roster after next season if it does not look like they will win. Or half way through the season.
    yeah.

or he could turn it down and blow out his achilles and lose hundreds of millions of dollars. 100 out of 100 players would have accepted that contract. you're fooling yourself if you think you would even hesitate if put in the same position.

backloaded or not, it's still 325 million fucking dollars.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • Hell yeah anyone would have signed that deal. He gets two choices, to opt out after 5 seasons if he keeps his current numbers up so he can hold up the Marlins or another team to tack on a few more seasons at the same rate to re-sign (a la Sabathia a few seasons ago), or he can opt in if he isn't playing that great or has injury issues. He has the Marlins by the balls with that no trade clause to top it off. It is the greatest contract ever for a player in any US sport ever and not just by dollar amount. All that cash and all the power. His agent should get elected right now to the sports agent hall of fame should it exist.

Loria is a snake as always and doesn't care about all that as he probably has his own plan in motion. He negotiates a new local TV deal in a couple of years. This helps repair his image and he will make a lot of extra cash (Stanton at a bargain and the raised TV rates) on the front part of the deal. In a few seasons he can slash payroll again. If he makes the team bad enough Stanton will want out badly and they can trade him to a team he approves. He could agree to the new team to opt out of that deal after year 5 and then sign a new contract that will make him very rich but more in line with the other top deals at that time. With the way things are going this may not be such an absurd amount by then anyways and the whole agree to opt out may not even matter. Loria is a bastard and the people of Miami should never, ever forget that.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    after getting the taxpayers to build his new stadium, Loria is actually allowed to sell the team in 2016 (I think)......new stadium + Stanton = tidy profit.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Why are the Dodgers so quiet? They must be really focused on trying to trade one of their (many :))) massively over paid outfielders. They have supposedly a ton of money to spend with a ton of holes to fill. Sh*t, they need a whole new bullpen besides closer. There have been zero reports of meetings with players or anything else. I really hope it takes them so long to trade Ethier or Crawford they miss out on all the main guys and end up throwing insane money at Ramirez for short or trading for another big name who is declining with a really bad contract. Friedman and his crew all come from small markets with minimal media and very little fan pressure prior to this. I don't think that market will take a season of Dee Gordon at short when they keep saying they have gobs of cash to spend this offseason yet again.

They better win this season as Giants win in 2016 of course.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    ^^^^ they just made their first move: swapping some pitchers with Tampa.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I love the Dodgers. Bring in a older relief pitcher with an era over 4 the past few seasons. Nice move Fraudman. Keep it up as Giants fans are smiling. If they wanted a pitcher who gives up runs the Giants have an amazing pitcher that throws 100 mph that might peak your interest. Plus he rarely ever gives up hits. Never mind every one he does give up is a homer, just focus on the fact he gets a lot of k's. Trade for Strickland!

I also kind of hope Tomas goes to the Padres. I would kind of like to see him on the Giants deep down but to give out 100million without seeing them against AA level pitchers is a little reckless on whomever does it.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:

I also kind of hope Tomas goes to the Padres. I would kind of like to see him on the Giants deep down but to give out 100million without seeing them against AA level pitchers is a little reckless on whomever does it.

I read a report that says the Tomas sweepstakes is down to Padres and Braves. Agreed......could be a great player, could be a bust.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Report that the Red Sox will soon be finalizing a 5 year $90 million dollar deal with Hanley Ramirez. Hoping this works out well for the sox. Ramirez seems like a head case at time, and has been often injured, but no denying his ability to hit. Actually signed for less money/years than I thought.

Will be interested to see how this factors into Sandovals decision. Rumor is that Ramirez might shift to the OF if that is the case. Will also be curious to see how Xander is impacted by this. I would like to see the sox keep him at SS. Hanley would be more suited for 3B or LF.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    the way the Sox do business is making them more and more dislikable,,,,,"we're so fucking rich we'll just throw stupid money around....if it works, great.....if not, we're fucking rich"

I do not think these two latest signings are what they need.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive said:

the way the Sox do business is making them more and more dislikable,,,,,"we're so fucking rich we'll just throw stupid money around....if it works, great.....if not, we're fucking rich"

you're just pissed because you can't wear you're panda hoodie anymore :P
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    edited November 2014
    If the reports are true I will really miss Sandoval as a Giants fan but I'm also relieved if he ends up in Boston. His numbers have been declining and I do not think he will age well at all. His weight issues are a very real problem and now that he has the contract he will slip some. He seems to be a dedicated player don't get me wrong but he has an issue being able to keep the weight off. It will flair up again at some point. Boston can at least throw him into the DH spot later but he would be an average DH at best right now much less later. Ramirez sucks defensively and is a much better hitter. They may need that DH spot for him when they realize its really hard to win a WS without very good defense. There is a reason besides the injury Morse didn't play outfield for the Giants in the WS. You can only bury them in LF for so long. But at least for the next two seasons Sandoval will make us miss him I'm sure. I think the Giants burned that bridge with the 4 year 40 million offer in spring training. They low balled him to show him their displeasure with his weight issues and it cost them a player they wanted to keep.

Now the game is who actually signs first. Who gets the second round pick between the Dodgers and Giants and who gets the third. The Giants also just became big time players for Tomas or the available bats in a trade. I have zero doubt Sabean is about to do his normal magic and pull off something big. He now has money to spend and we have a lot of good pitching in the minors. None are top 50 type prospects but they are very deep and have some emerging guys.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    norm said:

imalive said:

you're just pissed because you can't wear you're panda hoodie anymore :P
    kinda like when you had to mothball your manny dreads.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Until today, I had never heard of Kyle Seager.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive said:

What do they need then? Who was their third baseman last year?
  • jervin007 said:

Report that the Red Sox will soon be finalizing a 5 year $90 million dollar deal with Hanley Ramirez. Hoping this works out well for the sox. Ramirez seems like a head case at time, and has been often injured, but no denying his ability to hit. Actually signed for less money/years than I thought.

Will be interested to see how this factors into Sandovals decision. Rumor is that Ramirez might shift to the OF if that is the case. Will also be curious to see how Xander is impacted by this. I would like to see the sox keep him at SS. Hanley would be more suited for 3B or LF.

Espn is saying that Yoenis is now trade bait for a top pitcher. Why not keep him in the OF with Hanley?

imalive said:

What do they need then? Who was their third baseman last year?
    you are correct, they do need more production at 3B.....I'm just not sure why they signed TWO.....plus, if they are thinking OF for Ramirez, they already have a surplus out there.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182

jervin007 said:

Espn is saying that Yoenis is now trade bait for a top pitcher. Why not keep him in the OF with Hanley?
    They do have a packed outfield at this point, but I would imagine that will change. I guess it can't be a bad thing to have options though. I just don't want to see them trade Mookie Betts, he is a fun player to watch
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    jervin007 said:

jervin007 said:

They do have a packed outfield at this point, but I would imagine that will change. I guess it can't be a bad thing to have options though. I just don't want to see them trade Mookie Betts, he is a fun player to watch
    and the original Mookie is in prison!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Keith Law on espn was not bullish on the Sandoval deal. He does speak kindly to start but then writes this (its an insider article so here is a snipet in case you dont have it)

"The problem with this contract is its size, particularly in dollars, which reflects a rather positive forecast for Sandoval's performance going forward -- that he'll stay at third base, not lose any defense and outperform a realistic/median projection for his offense, especially his power. In other words, the Red Sox are paying him like he's going to hit about 20 bombs a year without losing anything else, and while I think that's possible, I don't think it's likely. This seems like a contract that won't kill the Red Sox, but won't live up to expectations.".

Szymbroski is not very fond of the signing either (another insider article):

"Sandoval's frequently less-than-stellar conditioning is probably overrated as a reason to worry about the trade. If anything, my biggest concern would be his approach at home plate rather than the dinner plate. Sandoval excels essentially by successfully hitting a lot of terrible pitches. Over the 13 seasons for which the data exists, Sandoval has been the MLB hitter most likely to swing at a bad pitch, swinging at 45.7 percent of out-of-zone pitches, ahead of Humberto Quintero (43.0 percent), Salvador Perez (41.5 percent), Delmon Young (41.2 percent) and Chris Johnson (41.0 percent). Sandoval has been very successful at this approach -- he'd probably be in Triple-A right now if he weren't -- but what happens when he loses even a teensy bit of his amazing bat speed? He's a better bad-ball hitter than Josh Hamilton or Vladimir Guerrero, two other players known for being see-ball, hit-ball players with crazy bat speed, but it's hard to forget how quickly both players dropped off when they lost some of it."

This is sour grapes in a way as a Giants fan but after finally seeing all the bad deals for Zito, Rowand and others get off the books I'm not wanting to go back to having 40 to 50 million of dead money on the books for players you are stuck with because of their contracts. Lincecum has 1 bad year left and we are free of those type of deals, as long as Cain can get his shit together.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    mmmmmm......cheeseburger.

seriously, tho......good luck, Panda.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,041
    edited November 2014
    LOL. That is hardly the picture of a standard professional athlete, is it? Jesus, he looks like everyone's fat uncle.
    Of course he also is Mr Clutch in the playoffs and just signed a $95,000,000 contract so I can go and suck it, can't I? I can take my fit non-athlete self over to the dick store.

Good for you "Turkey Sub" you got a massive payday.

I have no love for the Red Sox so I hope he is a weak signing but certainly dont blame him for bolting after 3 rings in SF.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    seeing as how Tomas is dumb enough to sign with the d-bags, fuck him.

maybe when he's polished, we'll pick him up in his opt out year.

d-bags : fp:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited November 2014
    He's not a Giant type of player. Poor defense and base running. The D-Bags with no pitching and he and Trumbo manning the corner outfield spots should be quite the adventure the next few seasons.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    kinda funny how I read not once that the d-bags were in the Tomas hunt. just shows you how unreliable "rumors" can be.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited November 2014
    I read a couple of days ago they were interested but not much on them. ESPN reports any and everything whether true or not yet they miss so much.

I really dont get teams when they start acting desperate. Phoenix is one of the worst baseball markets with TB. I know, I have lived here the last 10 years. The stadium is near empty every game. They average less than 20,000 for a game when they are decent, 15,000 when they suck. They already stated that payroll will be right at 100 mil which they are now right at when you add in Tomas. Hitters are not their issue, pitching is. 4 seasons ago I was actually scared of them because their farm system was loaded with top end potential for pitching. Thanks to Towers (love ya buddy!) they are left with Archie Bradly who could be a legit #1 and not much else. 70 million is a huge contract but very risky since no one knows how he will translate. Some think his swing is too short and all that power wont matter as he will be a horrible hitter. His defense is well below avrage and he is not a good athlete over all. All he has is power. For the D-bags to commit 70 million on non pitching is a pure desperate move for a new GM trying to prove himself. They don't have the flexibility to absorb bad deals and sooner or later one of these cuban kids is going to be a huge bust. Law of averages.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Really surprised at how low the dollar amount was. All the talk was him pushing $100 mil. Seems like a good deal
  • In response to the Espn insiders article: how many of the multi year $100+ million contracts actually live up to the expections for the duration of the contract?
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Here's to the CUBS or the YANKEES winning the World Series next year.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    i_lov_it said:

say what?
    www.myspace.com

i_lov_it said:

say what?
    aussie rules football fan.....or maybe rugby......or cricket.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16