the lottery is crap, ten club bullshit!

14567810»

Comments

• usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    lose seniority and it's all lottery. that's what i'm sprayin.
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    To be fair, lets say the guy who the OP is referring to normally got 1st or 2nd Row before the lottery was added.

Ok, he got pushed back 2 rows...

Now "winning" the lottery pushes him back to Row 10?

So, he's now pushed back 9 rows. It would just be nice to know this is TC's policy, that's all. It's the principal of it.

I agree. I think it would make a bigger difference if it was me. I have a number that would put me between those first ten rows at most non-huge shows (got 5th in KC). If I only go to one show in 4 years, but have kept up with my membership dues etc, and got stuck in 10th row while there were people ahead of me with much higher member numbers because I "won" the lottery.... well then that's not seniority based seating, which is the huge reason I've kept up with my membership these past few years even when I haven't been able to go to any of the east coast/west coast tours. 10th row is still good, sure, but it's still further back. My wife is really short, so the more rows of people that are in front of us, the harder it is for her to see. We got side seats once and it was like a completely different experience for her to actually be able to see the stage.

Another solution might be: if people who would be ahead of row 9 are getting pushed BACK to row 9/10... how about make the lottery for rows 1, 2, and 3, and forget about the 9/10 stuff.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • iamloco724iamloco724 Posts: 1,441
    personally i think anyone within the first 15 rows shouldnt gripe about anything yes im very new to the club i wasnt a part as long as alot of people cause i was young when the club started and wasnt allowed to go to shows and what not

the point is if anyone is in those rows they should feel fortunate and happy..people like me who have a high number or have to buy ticketmaster tix will never have those seats unless we 1. either win the lottery or 2 spend a shitload of money so anyone that complains about being in row 10 is just really stupid in my opinion
  • edited May 2010
    i thought they couldnt cause you to get worse seats, but even if they do this 'problem' seems pretty minor to the point of being a small inconvenience. its just a few rows, i dont get why anyone would care. different strokes i guess.

i certainly dont pity or sympathise with you though.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    iamloco724 wrote:
    personally i think anyone within the first 15 rows shouldnt gripe about anything yes im very new to the club i wasnt a part as long as alot of people cause i was young when the club started and wasnt allowed to go to shows and what not

the point is if anyone is in those rows they should feel fortunate and happy..people like me who have a high number or have to buy ticketmaster tix will never have those seats unless we 1. either win the lottery or 2 spend a shitload of money so. anyone that complains about being in row 10 is just really stupid in my opinion

I agree, except for calling them stupid.
    I just wanted to add a period.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • iamloco724iamloco724 Posts: 1,441
    SS25454 wrote:
    iamloco724 wrote:

the point is if anyone is in those rows they should feel fortunate and happy..people like me who have a high number or have to buy ticketmaster tix will never have those seats unless we 1. either win the lottery or 2 spend a shitload of money so. anyone that complains about being in row 10 is just really stupid in my opinion

I agree, except for calling them stupid.
    I just wanted to add a period.

not trying to insult anyone and call them stupid im just saying the action of complaining about such a thing is stupid ..theres bigger things to complain about in life then being "unlucky" in the 10th row at any pearl jam show
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Holy Shit!!!

Read through the responses this morning and then got home to see Tapers response and many more posts. I see Taper did decide to reply to this thread a few times.

Speedy was the only thought out post I think in the whole 19 pages. The other points everyone is arguing are beside the point. Tapers 'friend' had to complain for this to even go down in the first place and now he's complaining about being upgraded.

Like Speedy said shut up and go sit in the 10th row!
    #FHP
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    iamloco724 wrote:

the point is if anyone is in those rows they should feel fortunate and happy..people like me who have a high number or have to buy ticketmaster tix will never have those seats unless we 1. either win the lottery or 2 spend a shitload of money so anyone that complains about being in row 10 is just really stupid in my opinion

You are exactly the type of person I wrote about before. I'd hate to see you or someone in your situation systemically deprived decent seats because of age.

I would go a step further. I would say that anybody in rows 1-10 (3-8) solely because of their 10c numbers is one of these people who have great numbers and are close all the time. Prior to the lottery, depending on venue, I bet these people have all been within the 1st 5 rows. I would propose that if by 10c number, you're going to be within the 1st 10 rows, you should be ineligible for the lottery. You have great seats.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • traveljunkietraveljunkie Posts: 663
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Wish I Was wrote:
    10C could print our names/numbers onto sticky labels and when putting them into their respective envelopes, sticky the back of one ticket with the label. This way the tickets that go into the envelope that has our name/number on it will have something inside with our name/number on it. There ends the issue of To Seal or Not To Seal.

I swear that makes perfect sense in my head.

BUT YOU'RE NOT THE BOX OFFICE...PERIOD

His idea actually makes a lot of sense, except they would have to pay money to have an additional staff person handle just the stickering the tickets, since that's not as easy as it sounds. However I DO like the idea. :)

Her. But thank you! :P
    And I would think anything to improve the system is going to take more staff.
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Lennon_CobainLennon_Cobain Posts: 704
    I'd be thrilled to be sitting in the 10th row. :(
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    ya know my man Jose has an awesome 10c # and i have never heard him once bitch about being pushed back a few rows and he hooks mad peeps up with his extra for face instead of trying to flip it for big $ like he could...that's how all you tenured 10c people should be!!

Ummm... yeah... what you said, E. I made reference to this several pages ago. There are some awesome fans with low numbers who never say a peep and just hook people up. :)
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • nothingman4nothingman4 Posts: 794
    CJMST3K wrote:

dude u worked there and i know many people there (MSG)

the box office does what it wants ...even with 10c tickets

nothing anyone can do about it

im pretty sure most venues are like this

nobody is telling the arena box office how to do things

Yup. MSG even has an (invisible) do not cross point in the box office to keep tour and promoter staff at least 20 paces away from the windows. Between that and the "no closed envelope" policy, its a different world in THAT box office.

But that aside, stickers on the back of ticket pairs, while completely labor intensive, would solve the issue since there is virtually no possibility for fraud once the sticker is on there.

Of course, the band could just rent space at the Pennsylvania Hotel and hand out tickets there across the street from the venue, if they really wanted to lock-down... but I don't know if that's necessary.
    I volunteer to be paid to do that
    2005:Calgary, Edmonton
    2008:Bonnaroo
    2009:Virgin Fest Calgary, Outside Lands
    2010:Boston, MSG1, MSG2
    2011:EV Seattle (x2), PJ20(x2), Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver

"You are the luckiest fan in the board having heard oceans, release and hard to imagine three shows in a row!!"
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I just wasted 20 minutes of my life reading through this pretty pointless thread. I'll never get that time back now, that's the real scandal! :lol:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    lose seniority and it's all lottery. that's what i'm sprayin.

:D
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Everyone wants the system to be perfect... including every scenario that is possible of occurring. Well, guess what... it isn't perfect. Life isn't perfect and things don't always turn out the way you want it to or the way the think it should. Sometimes, shit just happens.
    And it's not that big of a deal... especially to someone that goes to every show. In the greater scheme of things, it ain't that big of a deal. It's just a concert... take what it gives you and just be happy you are there.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    Cosmo wrote:
    Everyone wants the system to be perfect... including every scenario that is possible of occurring. Well, guess what... it isn't perfect. Life isn't perfect and things don't always turn out the way you want it to or the way the think it should. Sometimes, shit just happens.
    And it's not that big of a deal... especially to someone that goes to every show. In the greater scheme of things, it ain't that big of a deal. It's just a concert... take what it gives you and just be happy you are there.

actually i think it's fine the way it is.... it gives people a chance and respects seniority

i really don't see what the problem is with it....
  • -Q--Q- Posts: 169
    [/quote]
    You are exactly the type of person I wrote about before. I'd hate to see you or someone in your situation systemically deprived decent seats because of age.

I would go a step further. I would say that anybody in rows 1-10 (3-8) solely because of their 10c numbers is one of these people who have great numbers and are close all the time. Prior to the lottery, depending on venue, I bet these people have all been within the 1st 5 rows. I would propose that if by 10c number, you're going to be within the 1st 10 rows, you should be ineligible for the lottery. You have great seats.[/quote]

why shouldn't we have a chance for front row just like any other member? the only way i'm getting front row is winning the lottery.
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I swear I remember a thread that the mods explained how the lottery works and that that winning the lottery could not get you further back, only forward - people that would have been in row 3 could win row 1 or 2, but not 9 or 10.

I also recall a response from the mods saying specifically that the lottery cannot push you back.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Cosmo wrote:

actually i think it's fine the way it is.... it gives people a chance and respects seniority

i really don't see what the problem is with it....
    Neither do I. I like the current set-up... it's basic and simple.
    I am grateful to have see this band from the 2nd and 3rd rows in the past. I loved being so close. I'd love to be that close at every show... but, I don't expect nor demand it. I am happy for the people who have only seen the gigs from the risers or second tiers that get the once in a lifetime pass to share what I have already experienced. I remember the thrill of being so close and it makes me happy to know there are others who will have that same feeling.
    As for PJ Taper's friend who won the lottery for the 10th row... I don't think it's that big of a deal, unless it is the only show he will be seeing this tour. Getting shoved back to the 10th row (instead of the third) is not a big deal if he has other shows lined up. I feel worse for the poor sap that had the first row and got the 10th instead. He doesn't know he had originally won the first row and was probably estatic that he landed in the 10th.
    Like I said, it's only a concert. Granted, a great fucking concert... but, when you look at it from the bigger picture, it's still... just a concert.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I swear I remember a thread that the mods explained how the lottery works and that that winning the lottery could not get you further back, only forward - people that would have been in row 3 could win row 1 or 2, but not 9 or 10.

I also recall a response from the mods saying specifically that the lottery cannot push you back.

I thought I saw it too.

I think the system should be easy and clear. Either you get your tickets according to your number, or you are upgraded if you are lucky enough to win the lottery.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • I have been a die hard fan since 1992. I didn't join the 10C until 2006. Then let it lapse. Then again two years ago. My number is in the 400XXX.

JUST BECAUSE I'VE BEEN A DIEHARD SINCE THIS BAND STARTED, I DIDN'T JOIN THE 10C UNTIL FIFTEEN YEARS LATER, SO I AM NOT ENTITLED TO BITCH ABOUT THE SYSTEM OR MY SEATS. I'm sure if you whiners had 10C #'s in the low 100,XXX's, I doubt you'd want the system changed. It's convenient that it doesn't work well because it's not working for YOU.

There is seniority for a reason. If you didn't join 10C back in the day, like I didn't, poo on you. Poo on me. Stop bitching.

And if you weren't born early enough, then blame your parents for using a condom (or spunking on your mom's face) on their first date and waiting to be established with a car and a house before having you. That ain't PJ's fault, and it certainly is not the fault of the earlier members.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll be fuckin' happy. If I don't, I'm still fucking happy.

And I'd like to know how much proof the OP has of any of this. Just the fact that it started out with "he USUALLY gets 3rd row" or whatever calls for speculation, OBJECTION OVER RULED!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    I have been a die hard fan since 1992. I didn't join the 10C until 2006. Then let it lapse. Then again two years ago. My number is in the 400XXX.

JUST BECAUSE I'VE BEEN A DIEHARD SINCE THIS BAND STARTED, I DIDN'T JOIN THE 10C UNTIL FIFTEEN YEARS LATER, SO I AM NOT ENTITLED TO BITCH ABOUT THE SYSTEM OR MY SEATS. I'm sure if you whiners had 10C #'s in the low 100,XXX's, I doubt you'd want the system changed. It's convenient that it doesn't work well because it's not working for YOU.

There is seniority for a reason. If you didn't join 10C back in the day, like I didn't, poo on you. Poo on me. Stop bitching.

And if you weren't born early enough, then blame your parents for using a condom (or spunking on your mom's face) on their first date and waiting to be established with a car and a house before having you. That ain't PJ's fault, and it certainly is not the fault of the earlier members.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll be fuckin' happy. If I don't, I'm still fucking happy.

And I'd like to know how much proof the OP has of any of this. Just the fact that it started out with "he USUALLY gets 3rd row" or whatever calls for speculation, OBJECTION OVER RULED!
    ... Why would anyone respect your opinion when you talk about spunking on your mom's face?

As an aside, my number is 359xxx, and I feel the 10C has done wrong to older 10C members. The way I see it is that Ten Club membership is almost like a contract. This contract, when written back at the beginning of 10C, had a purpose to get people the best seats to shows based on seniority. This contract was also understood to be valid until one did not renew their membership. What I don't understand is why it seems okay to anyone that the organization should be able to change the regulations of this 'contract' arbitrarily.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
This discussion has been closed.