Dark Knight Rises 7 20 12

Comments

• Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    9 AM tomorrow morning..can't wait!!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Was a little disappointed this wasn't shot in Chicago.

Half of the first one was and most of the second one was.

It didn't quite feel or look like the Gotham created in the first two movies.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Heisenberg wrote:
    This movie badly needed to just say to hell with it and take the R rating. I can't stand it when 2 characters are brutalizing each other on screen yet neither has a scratch or bruise. People getting shot all over the place yet never any blood. Not that I want unnecessary gore, but c'mon, it's almost like the old cartoon GI Joe/Cobra war where there were never any casualties. Anytime a plane blows up you see the pilot parachute to safety. Also, as much as I love him as "joker" in "Full Metal Jacket", Matthew Modine was awful in this film. Still enjoyed it, but at times I felt like George Lucas wrote some of the cheesy dialogue.

I agree with you. I really liked the movie still, it's hard to beat the Dark Knight, which it certainly didn't, but I noticed the bad dialogue too, and I actually didn't realize it wasn't rated R until hearing about the shootings and all the young kids in the theater. I remember thinking how violent it was when watching it, but not in a gory way, and was curious about the rating. It was pretty brutal despite the rating, I thought.

It's blockbuster's way of getting around the R rating. The MPAA has proven to be fine with just about any amount of violence as long as there is no blood. Violence is violence dummies. If you're gonna let the film be violent, at least let it be realistic.
    Newch91 wrote:
    TDK is the greatest superhero movie ever.
    100% agree. No superhero movie will be able to compare to TDK.
    Watching TDK now..better actors, Batman in his prime. A lot of
    Talk about how TDKR is more epic, but I'm not seeing it..

Will have to wait til it's out on bluray and rewatch.. Still a good way to end the series.
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    I've been a huge Batman fan since I was child, still love the comic, and was supposed to see it this weekend; but I just feel it's completely ruined for me now, like no matter what I'm not gonna be able to get into it and like it. I know it sounds a bit silly, but I was just a huge Batman fan, I'll just stick to the comic I suppose.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    marcos wrote:
    I've been a huge Batman fan since I was child, still love the comic, and was supposed to see it this weekend; but I just feel it's completely ruined for me now, like no matter what I'm not gonna be able to get into it and like it. I know it sounds a bit silly, but I was just a huge Batman fan, I'll just stick to the comic I suppose.

you dont mention why though. Because of the shootings?
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    well im going to be controversial and say i liked this better than the dark knight. I think the only thing TDKR was missing was heaths incredible performance. In all other areas this movie topped TDK. that said tom hardy was amazing in his role and definitely stepped up. I found TDKR to be more tension filled, the fight and battle scenes more interesting, and the climax and denouement more epic and satisfying. It definitely felt like a movie made to be seen in IMAX, and sounded and looked great. Nolan captures that moment well, i dont know what youd call it, not really tension or anxiety, but more this idea stuff is going down and happening, like at the stock market, or in the final battle scenes, or at the prison etc...
  • I to think this movie is actually better then TDK. TDK seems like a long movie even though it was shorter then TDKR. I remember glancing at my watch while watching TDK the first time and going, holy crap this isn't even a hour into it, feeling like I was in there for 2 hours already. TDKR just flew through, and I was wired. Pretty much predictable for most of the major twist (in my opinion), but was still well done. Great acting as well. Now I'll say this TDK to me seemed less predictable. I do enjoy all three films though.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I wont go to see this. Ill wait for it to come out on VHS.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    The script sucked, this movie was such a disjointed mess I was bored throughout, thought about leaving more than a few times.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
    Newch91 wrote:
    TDK is the greatest superhero movie ever.
    100% agree. No superhero movie will be able to compare to TDK.
    Watchmen < TDK imo

So Crojam, How was it? sounds like i heard wrong.

I loved it, but I need a second viewing to solidify its place. A few details I need to pay attention to more

Right now

1) TDK
    2)Rises
    3) Begins

I think they had to do NY in at least one of the films. Gotham is NY. Chicago served its purpose, but the whole wall street thing was pretty remarkable.
  • jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    I thought this was the worst of the 3 Christian Bale Batmans. No way they could top Heath Ledgers joker with Bane when you can't see Bane's mouth move. Tom Hardy is a great actor too, but you couldn't see it.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    I didn't quite get where that prison was, why it existed, and how the hell he managed to walk back from what is so obviously a desert to a metropolis.

I guess I'm supposed to suspend my brain for such movies, but that was just absurd.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    The script sucked, this movie was such a disjointed mess I was bored throughout, thought about leaving more than a few times.

That's how I felt. And the editing was really weird. A lot of scenes were cut short at random times and went to the next with very sloppy transitions.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
    btw

Skyfall and Man of Steel look very promising 8-)
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Saw it last night. I thought it was great. Not as good as TDK, but it came close. I really enjoyed Anne Hathaway in her Catwoman costume... :D
    jordn6971 wrote:
    I thought this was the worst of the 3 Christian Bale Batmans. No way they could top Heath Ledgers joker with Bane when you can't see Bane's mouth move. Tom Hardy is a great actor too, but you couldn't see it.

Bane was purposely choosen to be the complete opposite of the Joker. Riddler with Johnny Depp or Leo was rumored early on but the filmakers felt it would resemble the Joker too much. If Heath didnt die he would have been in this film. They re-thought the whole thing.

Yes he has a mask...but his eyes spoke imo. He actually had a few good one liners, especially at the star spangled banner :lol:

His fighting was where it was at....especially at the end...what a barrage of punches :thumbup:

Plus this film was more about Bruce Wayne than the villian...Nolan gave Heath the shinning moments in TDK
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    CROJAM95 wrote:

Yes he has a mask...but his eyes spoke imo. He actually had a few good one liners, especially at the star spangled banner :lol:

His fighting was where it was at....especially at the end...what a barrage of punches :thumbup:

Plus this film was more about Bruce Wayne than the villian...Nolan gave Heath the shinning moments in TDK

Bane's voice drove me nuts. It was so fake and cheesy. My only major complaint.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Just got back and really enjoyed it. Only complaint is that while the action was great, it almost as if there wasn't enough "heart" behind it like in previous movies. While impressive on the screen, it didn't seem as thrilling or suspenseful as in the previous movies. Not sure if anyone else felt the same way.

I thought bane was fine as the villain, not as good as Joker, but this was a different type of villain. I already feel like watching the movie again. I'll definitely catch another IMAX or regular screen showing in the next couple of weeks.

I'd say TDK edges this one a little bit. All in all, a great trilogy with 3 outstanding movies.

TDK
    TDKR
    BB
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I loved Bane, so glad they kept the first fight they had in the comics true. I don't think that many people actually got that when it happened, I didn't hear any snap, crackle or pops but I was grinning like a jackass. I also really enjoyed how there was no cheesy epic music during that fight, it was just an ugly, grimy fight, no heroics.

And why in the blue Hell was Alfred such a little bitch?
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    voidofman wrote:
    I loved Bane, so glad they kept the first fight they had in the comics true. I don't think that many people actually got that when it happened, I didn't hear any snap, crackle or pops but I was grinning like a jackass. I also really enjoyed how there was no cheesy epic music during that fight, it was just an ugly, grimy fight, no heroics.

And why in the blue Hell was Alfred such a little bitch?
    Bane kicked Batman's ass in the comic, breaking his back?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    That fight scene was nutty

Bane had some cool dialogue there

With reference to shadows and darkness :thumbup:
    CROJAM95 wrote:

I think they had to do NY in at least one of the films. Gotham is NY. Chicago served its purpose, but the whole wall street thing was pretty remarkable.
    True..I think it should have been a combo of NYC and Chicago, just to keep it consistent.. New York is Gotham, but Christopher Nolan wanted Chicago because of its alleys and the idea of an underworld, dark places.. New York + Chicagos extensive alley system = Gotham.

Christopher Nolan has stated his Gotham is based off Chicago. Heath ledger based his joker accent off a chicago accent. Plus the whole corruption thing. 8-) .
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Newch91 wrote:

Do a google image search for "Knightfall part XI"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,790
    voidofman wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Do a google image search for "Knightfall part XI"

I remember that. Glad they kept that when I saw the movie today
    I miss igotid88
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    CROJAM95 wrote:

Bane's voice drove me nuts. It was so fake and cheesy. My only major complaint.

Haven't seen the movie but there's no way it's as bad as Batman's voice.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Saw TDKR yesterday. Honestly, I thought it was a nice sequel to Batman Begins.

I know this movie drew a lot of from The Dark Knight. However, to me, The Dark Knight still feels like a movie that stands independant from the rest of the series. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises have far more in common than TDK.

I was looking for a film to live up to the expectations of TDK...for that reason, I was unfulfilled.

However, as a conclusion to the trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises was a good film. I'd like to reserve final judgement after watching it a few more times.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    That fight scene was nutty

Bane had some cool dialogue there

With reference to shadows and darkness :thumbup:

without light there are no shadows. shadows have nothing to do with darkness. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    $161 million this weekend, not too shabby.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC