Dark Knight Rises 7 20 12

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i dont know much about nolan's view of things but it seemed to me that the movie had a bit of an anti-liberal slant to it. the whole catwoman/bane being against the evil rich people, but removing the wealth didnt fix any problems just created more. the energy part was the one that got me thinking of this. bruce was so against the 'clean energy' cause it was dangerous and it turns out the only people interested in 'clean energy' didnt care about it for that reason but only for their own personal agenda. sorta what we saw with solyndra and gms volt. bruce was all for a new energy source if it proved safer and more efficient then what they already had. a lot like the boat we are in, lots of promising ideas but its all junk right now, solar, wind, hydrogen...

i'll just respectfully disagree ... on all counts ... :lol:
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    The movie was a cluttered mess. So much wrong with it to keep it from being a classic, but I was still entertained.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,790
    http://bit.ly/NPMJDU

Hans Zimmer composed a track entitled "Aurora." All proceeds go directly to Aurora shooting victims.
    I miss igotid88
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    The movie was a cluttered mess. So much wrong with it to keep it from being a classic, but I was still entertained.

pretty much this

from a story telling/time line persepective, it pretty much sucked...

good lord...one second we are in pittham, and the next, in some hole in the ground prison....

and pittsburgh as gotham city....come on. what a scam that was :lol:

and who builds a football stadium with a big undground something under it. :fp:

the last joker batman might have been the best batman ever. this one might be 3rd or 4th overall in the batman series.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    sooo ... what were the major problems with the timelines?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    polaris_x wrote:

one second we are fighting in the sewers, next thing we know, batman is in a prison...and then bam, he is healthy in a couple of days.....gets out and is back in gotham before sun down...how does that happen.

overlook some of the corney ness like that and it's a fine movie...but no where near as good as the last one.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

one second we are fighting in the sewers, next thing we know, batman is in a prison...and then bam, he is healthy in a couple of days.....gets out and is back in gotham before sun down...how does that happen.

overlook some of the corney ness like that and it's a fine movie...but no where near as good as the last one.

i didn't see it like that ... the reactor was set to go off in 5 months ... prior to that bruce is in the prison ... he comes back basically 2 days before it is set to go off ... you guys did notice that the ice froze over in the rivers - that doesn't happen in 2-3 days ...

obviously assuming some guy punching you in the back and traction can fix one's back - 20 weeks is more than reasonable in recovery time ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

i didn't see it like that ... the reactor was set to go off in 5 months ... prior to that bruce is in the prison ... he comes back basically 2 days before it is set to go off ... you guys did notice that the ice froze over in the rivers - that doesn't happen in 2-3 days ...

obviously assuming some guy punching you in the back and traction can fix one's back - 20 weeks is more than reasonable in recovery time ...

How did Batman get back to Gotham? He was in the middle of the desert. No money, no ID, no help from anybody, and he gets into the city that is supposedly blocked off? Where did he get his costume?
    severed hand thirteen
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    How did Batman get back to Gotham? He was in the middle of the desert. No money, no ID, no help from anybody, and he gets into the city that is supposedly blocked off? Where did he get his costume?

the guy survived 7 years without any help in batman begins ... he also fixed the auto pilot thing ... he's a smart guy ...

as for the costume - you can't possibly be referring to the batman suit? ... he gets catwoman to take him to fox so they can get his stuff ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

the guy survived 7 years without any help in batman begins ... he also fixed the auto pilot thing ... he's a smart guy ...

as for the costume - you can't possibly be referring to the batman suit? ... he gets catwoman to take him to fox so they can get his stuff ...

Yes, I knew there was an answer to the suit question. I was thinking the first time we saw him was when he was on the ice.

I don't like when a movie holds you by the hand and explains every little thing but this one leaves parts of the story out where I can't help but feel like more could have been explained.
    severed hand thirteen
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Yes, I knew there was an answer to the suit question. I was thinking the first time we saw him was when he was on the ice.

I don't like when a movie holds you by the hand and explains every little thing but this one leaves parts of the story out where I can't help but feel like more could have been explained.

i think its hard to pick up every little detail in the movie - i mean most people watched inception a few times to get it all ...

if there are things that don't seem to make sense - post it ... maybe someone knows ... i just wouldn't necessarily say its out of whack because we can easily miss things ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

i think its hard to pick up every little detail in the movie - i mean most people watched inception a few times to get it all ...

if there are things that don't seem to make sense - post it ... maybe someone knows ... i just wouldn't necessarily say its out of whack because we can easily miss things ...

Honestly I would have to post like 50+ questions here :lol:. They mostly deal with the way the story is told, not necessarily the actual storyline. ButI dont want to spoil anymore stuff for people who may see this thread and not expect spoilers.
    severed hand thirteen
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Honestly I would have to post like 50+ questions here :lol:. They mostly deal with the way the story is told, not necessarily the actual storyline. ButI dont want to spoil anymore stuff for people who may see this thread and not expect spoilers.

yeah ... good point ... i avoided this thread until i saw the movie! ...
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    Saw it last night and loved it. Not as magical as #2, but an epic ending to this trilogy nonetheless. Had no problem with the timelines... guess I was paying attention. ;)

81 has the attention span of fruit fly. :lol:
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Meh, that wasn't a big deal. There was about five months between the sewer fight and him being back in Gotham -- we know this from the bomb's countdown. It was hard to catch sometimes, for sure, but characters would occasionally mention so many days till the bomb goes off. Plenty of time to heal from a broken back! :lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    i dont know much about nolan's view of things but it seemed to me that the movie had a bit of an anti-liberal slant to it. the whole catwoman/bane being against the evil rich people, but removing the wealth didnt fix any problems just created more. the energy part was the one that got me thinking of this. bruce was so against the 'clean energy' cause it was dangerous and it turns out the only people interested in 'clean energy' didnt care about it for that reason but only for their own personal agenda. sorta what we saw with solyndra and gms volt. bruce was all for a new energy source if it proved safer and more efficient then what they already had. a lot like the boat we are in, lots of promising ideas but its all junk right now, solar, wind, hydrogen...

See, I had heard that about this flick -- that it was an anti-liberal, anti-Occupy, etc. -- but I don't see it that way. If anything, the poor and 99% were being used by Bane, who arguably represents the 1% and rich corporations (organization operates in secret, global in span, convinces the masses to go along, bullies the government into getting its way, etc.). So in that theory, Bane and Catwoman are sort of at opposite ends of the spectrum and Batman -- despite being ridiculously rich -- stands in the middle: he uses his vast wealth to help people how he can, but won't allow the release of something that could really benefit people because he fears its misuse.

OK, that last part is a bit muddled :? , but I think my first point makes perfect sense! :lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    kw18 wrote:
    and Batman -- despite being ridiculously rich -- stands in the middle: he uses his vast wealth to help people how he can, but won't allow the release of something that could really benefit people because he fears its misuse.

I always wondered how Batman was so rich. I guess he makes a lot of dough appearing at birthday parties and malls and shit as a side gig.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    kw18 wrote:
    and Batman -- despite being ridiculously rich -- stands in the middle: he uses his vast wealth to help people how he can, but won't allow the release of something that could really benefit people because he fears its misuse.

I always wondered how Batman was so rich. I guess he makes a lot of dough appearing at birthday parties and malls and shit as a side gig.

Like the Ghostbusters :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

Like the Ghostbusters :lol:

:lol::lol:

I would totally pay to see Christian Bale as Batman singing the 60's Batman theme song to a group of kids: nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah BATMAN!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    kw18 wrote:

See, I had heard that about this flick -- that it was an anti-liberal, anti-Occupy, etc. -- but I don't see it that way. If anything, the poor and 99% were being used by Bane, who arguably represents the 1% and rich corporations (organization operates in secret, global in span, convinces the masses to go along, bullies the government into getting its way, etc.). So in that theory, Bane and Catwoman are sort of at opposite ends of the spectrum and Batman -- despite being ridiculously rich -- stands in the middle: he uses his vast wealth to help people how he can, but won't allow the release of something that could really benefit people because he fears its misuse.

OK, that last part is a bit muddled :? , but I think my first point makes perfect sense! :lol:
    ok it can def be read in multiple ways for sure. however the liberal critique of batman is that Bruce has been handed brillions (not billions but brillions of dollars), and he obviously has all this power to get people voted in/out. now he could use his brillions to radically alter Gotham to the point that people don't have to commit crime unless they are crazy. Instead of doing that he just chooses to fight the crazies without fixing the structural problems plaguing gotham. As such he's just playing games. At the same time he's tricking libs by pretending to care while driving his big ass batmobile and other shit.
  • I saw it last night: Riveting. I loved it. I thought it was so dark and brutal. It might be my favorite. I wanted to watch it again before I got back home. Loved Bane. Loved Catwoman. Loved the ending.

It'll be fun to watch all 3 movies in one day during the Xmas holidays.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • kw18 wrote:

except Bane's goal is Ghul's goal which isnt the 1%....its all about anarchy and removing all wealth and ownership so everyone is equal, destroying civilization so everything can start over. Bane has no problem using the poor cause they have nothing to lose, and its not about one person or a million people but the ultimate goal. Of course he is gonna bully governments, he plans to destroy them. Ghul and Bane are like extremist communists (everything belongs to everyone), except they want everyone to live like hippies (cant really own anything cause it belongs to nature)... Humans should be one with nature and to do that at this point, there has to be mass destruction cause people will not willing embrace such a goal.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,965
    Easily just as good as the second one, if not better. Awesom friggin' movie.
    kw18 wrote:

except Bane's goal is Ghul's goal which isnt the 1%....its all about anarchy and removing all wealth and ownership so everyone is equal, destroying civilization so everything can start over. Bane has no problem using the poor cause they have nothing to lose, and its not about one person or a million people but the ultimate goal. Of course he is gonna bully governments, he plans to destroy them. Ghul and Bane are like extremist communists (everything belongs to everyone), except they want everyone to live like hippies (cant really own anything cause it belongs to nature)... Humans should be one with nature and to do that at this point, there has to be mass destruction cause people will not willing embrace such a goal.

I don't think the whole nature angle is in the movies, but it’s certainly in the comics (though it’s less about living like a hippie and more about ensuring a natural balance). While I get where you're coming from, Ra's goal in both the comics and the movies have never been about anarchy, it’s been about order. Specifically, his order.

Essentially, you have a very small number of individuals (Ra’s and the League) using their immense power and influence imparting their beliefs on a much larger population through the use of a variety of tactics, including fear and propaganda. Sounds like the 1% to me!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    RW81233 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

ok it can def be read in multiple ways for sure. however the liberal critique of batman is that Bruce has been handed brillions (not billions but brillions of dollars), and he obviously has all this power to get people voted in/out. now he could use his brillions to radically alter Gotham to the point that people don't have to commit crime unless they are crazy. Instead of doing that he just chooses to fight the crazies without fixing the structural problems plaguing gotham. As such he's just playing games. At the same time he's tricking libs by pretending to care while driving his big ass batmobile and other shit.

Yeah, the whole “He could do more good for people as Bruce than as Batman” is true to a degree. They touched on this in the movie (with him wanting to use his money to keep Dent in office and investment in cleaner energy; plus didn’t Alfred make a similar comment in TDKR?). And in the comics, he’s shown to be giving money to charities and whatnot.

But the argument for why there must be a Batman instead of Bruce spending his money to solve the problem is that money doesn’t always solve the problem. Donations to a food shelter won’t stop a guy from robbing a bank. Some people just want power (mob bosses) or chaos (Joker) and no amount of police or whatever is going to stop them. Fear from some dude crazy enough to dress like a bat and jump from rooftops just for the chance to sock him in the mouth, though? Yeah, that may do it. :D

Plus, it’s gotta be cathartic for Bruce to beat up people, right? :lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I get the need for batman for the crazies and power hungry, but gotham itself seems to be a pretty crappy place. he's a benevolent 1 percenter, but he still enjoys his unearned privileges.
    RW81233 wrote:
    I get the need for batman for the crazies and power hungry, but gotham itself seems to be a pretty crappy place. he's a benevolent 1 percenter, but he still enjoys his unearned privileges.

In TDKR, Gotham is a significantly better place than in TDK (at least until Bane shows up), and I'm assuming his wealth played a role in that (there were some statements thrown around about the Dent Act, and I can't recall but I want to say Bruce did support it).

And it's true Bruce inherited his wealth, but I like to think saving the city mutliple times from megalomaniacs shows he's also earned his "privileges."
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • kw18 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

In TDKR, Gotham is a significantly better place than in TDK (at least until Bane shows up), and I'm assuming his wealth played a role in that (there were some statements thrown around about the Dent Act, and I can't recall but I want to say Bruce did support it).

And it's true Bruce inherited his wealth, but I like to think saving the city mutliple times from megalomaniacs shows he's also earned his "privileges."

he has also shown he is somewhat of a genius, working on and improving some of fox's awesome gadgets.

i wonder how soon news will come out for the batman reboot though... 2, 3 years??
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,760
    Saw it last week and loved it. I usually don't like Hathaway but she didn't even annoy me. JGL is one of my favorite actors and I thought he was good as well.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.