Dark Knight Rises 7 20 12

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    That fight scene was nutty

Bane had some cool dialogue there

With reference to shadows and darkness :thumbup:

without light there are no shadows. shadows have nothing to do with darkness. 8-)

Haha...He talks about shadows, then darkness. Not the same train of thought. Thanks for keepin me honest :lol:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,790
    jordn6971 wrote:
    The script sucked, this movie was such a disjointed mess I was bored throughout, thought about leaving more than a few times.

That's how I felt. And the editing was really weird. A lot of scenes were cut short at random times and went to the next with very sloppy transitions.

I noticed this with the transitions. But I think most comics are like that. I still loved the movie
    I miss igotid88
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    Saw it on Saturday and I really liked it. I think it is a great way to end the trilogy. I thought Michael Caine was excellent again as Alfred and Anne Hathaway was better than I expected her to be.

The only complaint I have is, while I really liked Tom Hardy as Bane, his voice was unintelligible in places, I'll need to put subtitles on when I get the bluray! My wife said that his voice sounded like a demented Scooby Doo in places - try listening to "Then you have my permission to die" followed by "Ro'kay Raggy" :D
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
    Newch91 wrote:

That must mean a great deal for those visited... I heard WB gave close to $2M for the victims.

Very cool of him to make a terrible situation a little bit better
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    Newch91 wrote:
    That's a really nice thing for him to do. I love the fact that he did it off his own back and not for the studio, it must have meant so much to the people he visited
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I saw it for a second time and it was slightly better than my initial assessment. The story flowed a lot better upon a repeat viewing, probably because I wasn't actively trying to catch every little detail and allowed myself to sit back and enjoy it for what it was. There were still a few glaring holes in the story and some suspect acting, but I'll bump it's rating up half a point to 7.5/10. Since IMDB doesn't do half stars, I've rounded up and they've scammed a rating of 8 from me.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    I saw it for a second time and it was slightly better than my initial assessment. The story flowed a lot better upon a repeat viewing, probably because I wasn't actively trying to catch every little detail and allowed myself to sit back and enjoy it for what it was. There were still a few glaring holes in the story and some suspect acting, but I'll bump it's rating up half a point to 7.5/10. Since IMDB doesn't do half stars, I've rounded up and they've scammed a rating of 8 from me.

i gotta see it again too because it sounds like we may have had the same reaction to the first viewing. i loved it but there were definitely some faults. the timeline bugged me a bit--early on we learn bruce has no cartilage in his knees and he's walking with a can...then BOOM---he's batman again! just like that! then his amazingly quick recover from a broken back and suddenly appearing back in gotham (where nobody was allowed in or out), which is halfway across the world, in a matter of (seemingly) hours.....yada yada yada......so there are things you have to overlook in this movie. as a whole, i really enjoyed it. it was dark. gritty. a different feel than the previous 2. overall, while being my least favorite of the 3, i thought it was a great ending to the trilogy. hathaway should get a nod for best supporting actress. in addition to looking muuuuuch hotter than i thought she would in the catsuit, she really nailed the role. she owned every scene she was in. very impressed with her.

i think begins is my favorite then tdk and then tdkr. it's weird because i feel like i gained a whole new appreciation for begins in the past week when watching it to get caught up for the new one. then it was on fx a couple times and i watched it some more. that had the best story of the 3 and ledger had the best performance of the 3. i wish they wouldn't have completely ignored the joker in tdkr. either way---i'm bummed that this incarnation is over with.
    www.myspace.com
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    just got back and have the same assessment as many of you. incredible movie, but doesn't hold a candle to the dark knight in my opinion.

plenty of goods, but some bad:

why was the majority of this filmed in NYC and not chicago like the previous two? that just instantly made a lot feel out of place and inconsistent. the timelines as mentioned... bruce walking around with a cane and no cartilage, then batman, then broken back, then batman, travels from the opposite side of the globe back to gotham in 35 minutes. no mention of joker was pretty weak and at times bane sounded like luigi.

that's easy to overlook though and i can't wait to see it again.

i thought they were going to end it with batman hanging from the bridge to be honest. that would have been some closure!
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Just saw this in Imax today(I highly recommend)

This movie is my favorite of the trilogy. While Bane is not the Joker, I thought the storyline and ending were much better.
    Solid emotional punch as well from a comic book movie.
    Loved it.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I liked it, didn't love it. Gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

I feel that a lot of people seem to have rose coloured glasses on about this movie. There were some really big issues with it in my eyes....some great parts too though. This review sums up some things i noticed and more. Worth a read.

http://www.slashfilm.com/15-bothered-th ... ght-rises/
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    ok some people need to pay better attention to the movie. i know its short time for a broken back but the bomb had 5 months so bruce didnt just come right back. and with the knee cartilage issue im pretty sure thats what the leg brace was for when he kicked the chunk ot of the stone wall testing it. bruce knew he was gonna need some help getting his body in the shape he needed.

the biggest time issue i noticed was the wall st scene. the program they were uploading or whatever took 8 minutes. it was middle of the day when bane started the chase and when batman caught them just a few seconds too late it was middle of the night. talk about the sun setting quickly....
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    Going to see it tonight. First time at a movie theatre in over a year.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    ok some people need to pay better attention to the movie. i know its short time for a broken back but the bomb had 5 months so bruce didnt just come right back. and with the knee cartilage issue im pretty sure thats what the leg brace was for when he kicked the chunk ot of the stone wall testing it. bruce knew he was gonna need some help getting his body in the shape he needed.

the biggest time issue i noticed was the wall st scene. the program they were uploading or whatever took 8 minutes. it was middle of the day when bane started the chase and when batman caught them just a few seconds too late it was middle of the night. talk about the sun setting quickly....
    Yeah, I noticed that too about the Wall St. scene.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Good end to a great trilogy of films. As people have mentioned some plot holes and jumps in logic were a bit distracting. Too many characters seemed to know too much without any reason and I predicted the ending. Still I thought it brought all the themes running through the series to a satisfying end. The franchise should be left alone now but Hollywood is shit so therfore expect a reboot in a couple of years :roll:

Anyone see The man of steel trailer? Why are they using music from Lord of the Rings in another film!? Not only do they have to continue to recycle franchises but are they now recycling soundtracks too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKWJZsjm5U
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

Anyone see The man of steel trailer? Why are they using music from Lord of the Rings in another film!? Not only do they have to continue to recycle franchises but are they now recycling soundtracks too?

It's an interesting Tone for a Superman movie, but i dig Zach Synder so I'll probably go see it.
    a reboot will happen, and expect it soon. there has been talk of a justice league movie, and they want to go the route of the avengers. each character getting his own movie and tying it all together. batman needs to be redone cause nolans universe has no place for something like green lantern or even superman, really toned down the 'super' part. the best thing hollywood can do is just go for a more comic book approach and not blatantly try to top nolan's movies.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Good end to a great trilogy of films. As people have mentioned some plot holes and jumps in logic were a bit distracting. Too many characters seemed to know too much without any reason and I predicted the ending. Still I thought it brought all the themes running through the series to a satisfying end. The franchise should be left alone now but Hollywood is shit so therfore expect a reboot in a couple of years :roll:

They've been doing that for decades. The soundtrack will likely not be in the movie, but was just used in the trailer to make it look and sound more "cinematic."
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    so i let this one digest for a day.... what a fucking shit ending!

scenario: batman takes the bomb and flies off with it, safe from gotham, gives the ultimate sacrifices, dies for the people of gotham as he always promised. fast forward to a eulogy, alfred crying, a batman statue being revealed, and then nolan pulled the director's sucker punch. what a fucking cheap shot. leads the audience to believe batman died, and then all of a sudden alfred sees bruce wayne in europe sipping cappuccinos with cat women? really? fucking really? i don't know what is worse... find out batman survived all that and nolan pulled a classic director's cheap shot at the end of an AMAZING trilogy, or pulling a fucking inception and leading the audience to believe that alfred "imagined" seeing bruce at that cafe. what horse shit. this trilogy ended for me at the dark knight.

what a shit load of fuck.
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I liked it, didn't love it. Gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

I feel that a lot of people seem to have rose coloured glasses on about this movie. There were some really big issues with it in my eyes....some great parts too though. This review sums up some things i noticed and more. Worth a read.

http://www.slashfilm.com/15-bothered-th ... ght-rises/

thank you. i was quick to love this movie right after seeing it, but after stewing on it for a day, fuck... what a let down.

the sewer fight between batman and bane was EPIC though. always interesting to see a superhero get their ass handed to them.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    hmm....interesting.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited July 2012
    I was annoyed at all the plotholes I noticed in The Dark Knight Rises. Then I remembered I had just watched a movie about a billionaire who dresses as a bat and I got over them pretty quickly.
    Post edited by SVRDhand13 on
    severed hand thirteen
    i hate potholes...hit one in MA...it rattled my jaw :shock:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Damn autocorrect
    severed hand thirteen
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Damn autocorrect
    ;):lol: :x :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    :lol:

that was last night's drunken rant on how the movie ended.

that being said, can't wait for the DVD ;)
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959

i gotta see it again too because it sounds like we may have had the same reaction to the first viewing. i loved it but there were definitely some faults. the timeline bugged me a bit--early on we learn bruce has no cartilage in his knees and he's walking with a can...then BOOM---he's batman again! just like that! then his amazingly quick recover from a broken back and suddenly appearing back in gotham (where nobody was allowed in or out), which is halfway across the world, in a matter of (seemingly) hours.....yada yada yada......so there are things you have to overlook in this movie. as a whole, i really enjoyed it. it was dark. gritty. a different feel than the previous 2. overall, while being my least favorite of the 3, i thought it was a great ending to the trilogy. hathaway should get a nod for best supporting actress. in addition to looking muuuuuch hotter than i thought she would in the catsuit, she really nailed the role. she owned every scene she was in. very impressed with her.

i think begins is my favorite then tdk and then tdkr. it's weird because i feel like i gained a whole new appreciation for begins in the past week when watching it to get caught up for the new one. then it was on fx a couple times and I watched it some more. that had the best story of the 3 and ledger had the best performance of the 3. i wish they wouldn't have completely ignored the joker in tdkr. either way---i'm bummed that this incarnation is over with.
    Yeah, it seems like we both have a similar assessment of the film. the second viewing is much better, as long as you remember to turn your brain off and just enjoy the ride and try to avoid thinking about the holes in the plot
    Anyone else notice how anti-climactic the death scenes were?
    severed hand thirteen
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i thought this movie was excellent and my favourite of the 3 ... i think mostly because it took the other two films to set up this film ... i thought the primary characters in this film were excellent except for matthew modine - i didn't care for him ... tom hardy was his brilliant self ... anne hathaway is quickly moving up my list of current talent ... and all the other supporting actors were great ...

what worked for me in this movie is the subplot related to the league of shadows and their belief that the elites have committed crimes against the people ... not a shock to those that know me that i fully believe that is to be the case ... it allowed me to empathize with bane and catwoman and their cause ... this to me is what makes a great "superhero" movie - a formidable villain ... and conflict ...

also - the plot line related to clean energy and batman's refusal to unleash it because of the evil in the world played well to me ...

although the film ended quite happy - i am ok with that ... it's pretty obvious that he wouldn't die as the whole thing with the auto pilot on that thing was set up for a while just like the scar on miranda's back giving her away ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    i thought this movie was excellent and my favourite of the 3 ... i think mostly because it took the other two films to set up this film ... i thought the primary characters in this film were excellent except for matthew modine - i didn't care for him ... tom hardy was his brilliant self ... anne hathaway is quickly moving up my list of current talent ... and all the other supporting actors were great ...

what worked for me in this movie is the subplot related to the league of shadows and their belief that the elites have committed crimes against the people ... not a shock to those that know me that i fully believe that is to be the case ... it allowed me to empathize with bane and catwoman and their cause ... this to me is what makes a great "superhero" movie - a formidable villain ... and conflict ...

also - the plot line related to clean energy and batman's refusal to unleash it because of the evil in the world played well to me ...

although the film ended quite happy - i am ok with that ... it's pretty obvious that he wouldn't die as the whole thing with the auto pilot on that thing was set up for a while just like the scar on miranda's back giving her away ...

i dont know much about nolan's view of things but it seemed to me that the movie had a bit of an anti-liberal slant to it. the whole catwoman/bane being against the evil rich people, but removing the wealth didnt fix any problems just created more. the energy part was the one that got me thinking of this. bruce was so against the 'clean energy' cause it was dangerous and it turns out the only people interested in 'clean energy' didnt care about it for that reason but only for their own personal agenda. sorta what we saw with solyndra and gms volt. bruce was all for a new energy source if it proved safer and more efficient then what they already had. a lot like the boat we are in, lots of promising ideas but its all junk right now, solar, wind, hydrogen...