2010 Minnesota Twins

Comments

• Soooooo.....this thread is darthvedder, darthervedder, and darthvedder? There's gotta be another Twins fan in here somewhere. Somewhere....still looking....

I will say this - I think the Twin Cities come out with the best record in the AL. Make it happen.
  • Soooooo.....this thread is darthvedder, darthervedder, and darthvedder? There's gotta be another Twins fan in here somewhere. Somewhere....still looking....

I will say this - I think the Twin Cities come out with the best record in the AL. Make it happen.

We're all Twins fans when they play the Yankees in the playoffs.

Of course, the idea of Brad Lidge pitching to Joe Mauer in the World Series wakes me up in a cold sweat.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i would have plunked a few more twins....wether or not the konerko ball got away, you should expect a plunking when you hit somebody in the face.

what's her name is a twins fan too.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Newman. wrote:
    i would have plunked a few more twins....wether or not the konerko ball got away, you should expect a plunking when you hit somebody in the face.

"Whether or not"? If you've watched enough baseball you know that was one that got away. Konerko crowds the plate some too. If you want to get great hitters out like that you have to bust them inside. Maybe the White Sox should have thought about winning that game instead of "defending" themselves? It's 2004 all over again!
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
    Newman. wrote:

"Whether or not"? If you've watched enough baseball you know that was one that got away. Konerko crowds the plate some too. If you want to get great hitters out like that you have to bust them inside. Maybe the White Sox should have thought about winning that game instead of "defending" themselves? It's 2004 all over again!

if it got away, maybe he shouldn't be pitching in the majors.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Newman. wrote:

Are you kidding me? Do you even watch baseball regularly? It was high and tight running fastball that just got away from Carl. It happens about 5 times a day in baseball. It's just most opposing teams aren't made up of vindictive idiots who care more about their "pride" than actually winning games. Maybe "everyday Paulie" should back off the plate a few inches...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Newman. wrote:

Are you kidding me? Do you even watch baseball regularly? It was high and tight running fastball that just got away from Carl. It happens about 5 times a day in baseball. It's just most opposing teams aren't made up of vindictive idiots who care more about their "pride" than actually winning games. Maybe "everyday Paulie" should back off the plate a few inches...

At least no one tried to stab Stache Pavano after that incident! Silly sux fans!
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Magic number is 1 and we are three outs away from it being 0.

What a season! Now the Twins need to secure home field for the ALCS. Not an easy task as the Yanks are starting to turn it up. Probably going to take 99-100 wins to do it.
  • And the Twins are the 2010 American League Central champs! First to clinch (I think that's a good omen...)!!
  • sox = dead! What a choke job!
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.

I don't think they choked so much as just played like the meh team they were. They benefitted in June from playing the D-Backs and Pirates about 457 times. Before and after that terrible to meh.

But enough Sox talk.

Gardy better win manager of the year. He's already deserved it about 6 times.
    It's remarkable that the Twins have done this two years in a row now without their best player down the stretch. Even if you don't like the team you have to be impressed by that...

The AL East is going down!
    Newman. wrote:

a baseball to the face is no where near the strike zone. you don't throw pitches around the head. nothing wrong with plunking somebody in the thigh or buttocks, but not in the face. if you are good enough to pitch in the majors, you are good enough to not hit somebody in the face.

just for the record, i'm not a sox fan. and i do watch quite a bit of baseball.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Twins are a great franchise. Maybe they'll do something in the playoffs this year.

Here's some cool stuff about their coaching from Buster Olney:

The Twins' payroll hovers around $100 million, and with a roster that includes the highest-paid catcher in history, their success cannot be attributed to a paper clip-saving discipline, the way it was a year ago. But the team's organizational philosophy remains in place, teaching all players at all levels in the same way, providing instruction that is regarded within the industry as some of the best.

The Twins' payroll hovers around $100 million … but the team's organizational philosophy remains in place, teaching all players at all levels in the same way, providing instruction that is regarded within the industry as some of the best. The Twins' pitchers are taught to throw strikes; their position players are given rigorous lessons in defense. Danny Valencia was a 19th-round pick, close to the 600th player taken in the 2006 draft, and rival scouts thought his defense was a question mark at the outset of his career.

But as Valencia explained over the phone last week, he learned how to not rush to ground balls, to not stiffen in his actions in the field; he learned how to remain more flexible, to let the ball come to him. And since Valencia was promoted to the big leagues this summer, he has played some of the best third base in the majors -- he has one of the best UZR/150 ratings among major league third basemen since being promoted -- along with hitting .335.

I asked some talent evaluators for their assessment of Valencia's progress. The first response is from an NL evaluator: "Valencia was an average defender in the minor leagues, but -- like a lot of Twins -- has made rapid improvement at the major league level," he wrote in an e-mail. "If the Twins' coaching staff isn't the best in baseball then they have to be among the top three -- they do an absolutely outstanding job of extracting the most out of every player."

Wrote a second evaluator: "We've started liking Danny Valencia as a regular for a championship caliber team in about 2008, but we had a scout identify him as a prospect in the Midwest League in 2007. We've always seen him as a player that does everything well. We feel good about him hitting for an average because of his ability to control the strike zone. He shows an above-average arm and above-average defensive ability. Though we do not see a lot of power coming from him, we feel good about the overall package because of the hitting instincts and defense."

Valencia has kicked in, in a big way, and so has Brian Duensing and the bargain-basement acquisition Jim Thome. The Twins' wallet has thickened but in 2010 they have continued to be an organization that makes the most out of their nickels, too.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    agree completly on the above post. Twins run a top notch organization from top to bottom.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

Hahaha, c'mon dude. Choke job? Sox haven't had a lead in the division since August 11th, when they were tied with the Twins. Never had more than a 3.5 game lead all year. Sox were hot for a month and a half, Twins were hot for the entire 2nd half. I love it how you care more about the Sox doing bad than the Twins doing well. :lol:
    81 wrote:
    agree completly on the above post. Twins run a top notch organization from top to bottom.

I feel like too much credit is given to their "philosophy" and not enough to their coaches. I mean, doesn't every organization try to teach their pitchers to throw strikes and try to get their position players to play solid D? The Twins get it done consistently, I think their coaches just must be that good. This 10 year run they're on is pretty impressive. I don't really follow any minor league systems/teams outside of the Sox (and it's tough to learn anything from their system with the way Williams deals prospects so frequently), but the Twins get the results from within their organization better than most.

Congrats on the division. Now please beat an AL East team.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    IwasBit10 wrote:
    sox = dead! What a choke job!

Hahaha, c'mon dude. Choke job? Sox haven't had a lead in the division since August 11th, when they were tied with the Twins. Never had more than a 3.5 game lead all year. Sox were hot for a month and a half, Twins were hot for the entire 2nd half. I love it how you care more about the Sox doing bad than the Twins doing well. :lol:
    81 wrote:

I feel like too much credit is given to their "philosophy" and not enough to their coaches. I mean, doesn't every organization try to teach their pitchers to throw strikes and try to get their position players to play solid D? The Twins get it done consistently, I think their coaches just must be that good. This 10 year run they're on is pretty impressive. I don't really follow any minor league systems/teams outside of the Sox (and it's tough to learn anything from their system with the way Williams deals prospects so frequently), but the Twins get the results from within their organization better than most.

Congrats on the division. Now please beat an AL East team.

Your assessment is right one. Up and down they org they have great coaches including in the minors. Including a lot of stability year in and year out. They've been able to establish a "culture" and the perfect example is Danny Valencia - who now appears to be the everyday third baseman for years to come. He is having an all star performance since he was called up after Mornueu got hurt and maybe people thought he was ready at least last year or the year before.

And to call a spade a spade, with the new stadium, they've been able to bring in some free agents and handle a $90+ million payroll. I think they will take down whomever they play in the first round at home (Yanks or Rays) but it will be tough to get to the series. We'll see.

I really want to like the Twins. I respect the organization. It is well run.. And then the fans speak and it completely ruins it for me.

Either way, if the Sox choke in the season, Twins definitely choke in the playoffs.. They should get together and learn from one another!

Beat the AL East! That's all I care about. I'll root for the Twins if they play New York.

The AL Central really doesn't have any rivals in it. If not the Sox, I root for the AL Central. If not the AL Central I root for the AL, unless New York is in it. :lol:
    I Love the discussion. Just don't forget, no Joe Nathan all year, no Justin Morneau for the 2nd half, who I might add was having another career MVP type year. Imagine where the Yank's would be without two of their best players for that length of time. Impressive isn't it.
    No team in baseball has more wins than the Twins.
  • Ok wrote:

:lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Ok wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings;_ ... LdMWsRvLYF

yanks have 92, twins have 91

just sayin
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    81 wrote:
    Ok wrote:

just sayin

Twins just won, they have 92 now too.
    92 wins. :D
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Ok wrote:

just sayin

Twins just won, they have 92 now too.

than the yanks have a game in hand at this point
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Ok wrote:

besides the yanks....
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Ok wrote:

besides the yanks....

nope not even the yanks have more. check it. :D
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Ok wrote:
    Ok wrote:

besides the yanks....

Yankees have a half game on Minnesota right now.
  • Ok wrote:
    Ok wrote:

besides the yanks....

more would be 92 -91..not 92-92

i believe the twins are tied for the most wins in baseball

minus the game in hand the yanks have
  • Ok wrote:
    I Love the discussion. Just don't forget, no Joe Nathan all year, no Justin Morneau for the 2nd half, who I might add was having another career MVP type year. Imagine where the Yank's would be without two of their best players for that length of time. Impressive isn't it.

I hate to stick up for the Yankees, but they had a much better record without Alex Rodriguez. And in general, closers are vastly overrated. I don't know if Rivera has been all that much better than an average closer this year - not that familiar with the numbers.

Now... What Phillies have been on the DL this year? Jimmy Rollins. Ryan Howard. Chase Utley. Placido Polanco. Carlos Ruiz. Brad Lidge. Ryan Madson. Jamie Moyer. Brian Schneider. Besides the Red Sox, nobody has had more injuries than the Phillies this year.

I really want to like the Twins. I respect the organization. It is well run.. And then the fans speak and it completely ruins it for me.

Either way, if the Sox choke in the season, Twins definitely choke in the playoffs.. They should get together and learn from one another!

Beat the AL East! That's all I care about. I'll root for the Twins if they play New York.

The AL Central really doesn't have any rivals in it. If not the Sox, I root for the AL Central. If not the AL Central I root for the AL, unless New York is in it. :lol:

Come on! Rooting for the Twins? No White Sox fan should ever be rooting for the Twins!! I just can't do it.

I do agree with you on one thing though. It's really hard not to respect an organization like this one. They teach their players to play the right way and have great coaching throughout their minor leagues as well as with the big leage club with Gardy.

It should be interesting to see what happens in these playoffs.