2010 Minnesota Twins

123457»

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    So again.. why do the Yankees consistently spend more money than any other team in baseball if it's not about the money??? Why do they pay the league the capping fine? Why not put the money someplace else, maybe give it back to the fans.

Here you are showing me how much the money didn't help them this past decade, yet you're arguing they've been doing so good because of management and scouting.. isn't that contradicting yourself?

If they sucked so bad this last decade, maybe they better stop throwing the money around and start spending it wisely.

How am I contradicting myself when I say you have to spend money? Spend money WISELY. They finally got the knack for that before the 2009 season when they waited out Tex and CC. Money didn't help them this past decade. What helped them win as a dynasty back in the 90's was players like Williams, Jeter, Pettite, Rivera, Posada, all players who came up through their system. The point is all the extra money that was spent during that time on Randy Johnson, Jason Giambi, Pavano, etc. etc. didn't win them dick. They spent over a billion dollars and FINALLY got a payoff - 9 years of spending and they finally hit the nail on the head. Every squirrel finds a nut.

And like I said, they finally did spend it wisely - on young, proven, phenoms.

You should more ask why don't the cheaper teams spend money? And both questions answer themselves - turn yourself into a World Series or bust team and that's what will happen - you spend money. Sell out your ballpark every game and your payroll will increase. You think the Twins are done spending at 105 million? Who's to say that doesn't go up every year with a new ballpark? The Rangers are about to go into a new spending level with their new RSN deal. The Yankees are an example of spending a shit ton, the Rays are an example of not, and they both put a competitive team on the field. Each has different boundaries within which they can pull resources. The point of what I'm trying to make is - STOP BITCHING ABOUT WHAT THE YANKEES SPEND as if that's the reason for your failure. It's a fucking old excuse. I can't even believe I'm arguing for the dirty Yankees.

As the Yankees are the only team to hit that luxury tax, you don't see the Royals or Pirates or any other shitty team bitching about the payoff do they? Fans of said teams should be more pissed at their teams for not putting a better product on the field.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited October 2010
    So again.. why do the Yankees consistently spend more money than any other team in baseball if it's not about the money??? Why do they pay the league the capping fine? Why not put the money someplace else, maybe give it back to the fans.

Here you are showing me how much the money didn't help them this past decade, yet you're arguing they've been doing so good because of management and scouting.. isn't that contradicting yourself?

If they sucked so bad this last decade, maybe they better stop throwing the money around and start spending it wisely.

How am I contradicting myself when I say you have to spend money? Spend money WISELY. They finally got the knack for that before the 2009 season when they waited out Tex and CC. Money didn't help them this past decade. What helped them win as a dynasty back in the 90's was players like Williams, Jeter, Pettite, Rivera, Posada, all players who came up through their system. The point is all the extra money that was spent during that time on Randy Johnson, Jason Giambi, Pavano, etc. etc. didn't win them dick. They spent over a billion dollars and FINALLY got a payoff - 9 years of spending and they finally hit the nail on the head. Every squirrel finds a nut.

You should more ask why don't the cheaper teams spend money? And both questions answer themselves - turn yourself into a World Series or bust team and that's what will happen - you spend money. Sell out your ballpark every game and your payroll will increase. You think the Twins are done spending at 105 million? Who's to say that doesn't go up every year with a new ballpark? The Rangers are about to go into a new spending level with their new RSN deal. The Yankees are an example of spending a shit ton, the Rays are an example of not, and they both put a competitive team on the field. Each has different boundaries within which they can pull resources. The point of what I'm trying to make is - STOP BITCHING ABOUT WHAT THE YANKEES SPEND as if that's the reason for your failure. It's a fucking old excuse. I can't even believe I'm arguing for the dirty Yankees.

As the Yankees are the only team to hit that luxury tax, you don't see the Royals or Pirates or any other shitty team bitching about the payoff do they? Fans of said teams should be more pissed at their teams for not putting a better product on the field.

You do realize, that even with a 10 year drought, that's still winning it 3x more than the average team, right?

And how often do they make the post season?
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989

You do realize, that even with a 10 year drought, that's still winning it 3x more than the average team, right?

And how often do they make the post season?

And that has nothing to do with 29 other teams having the chance of winning the World Series. Like I've said, if a team can get hot at the right time, they can beat anybody.

That's it. I'm done. Gotta finish this on a high note - the Yankees can suck my balls.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    And that has nothing to do with 29 other teams having the chance of winning the World Series. Like I've said, if a team can get hot at the right time, they can beat anybody.

That's it. I'm done. Gotta finish this on a high note - the Yankees can suck my balls.
    Yes, but year in and year out the Yankees are put in that playoff position and have that chance to get hot more than any other team.

I garuantee you, if the Yankees had a middle of the road team salary, they wouldn't have 27 championships.
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,109
    Whoa whoa whoa...we are so off-topic here and I never thought I'd be in a position to sort of/kind of/maybe -- gulp -- defend the Yankees, but it bears repeating that there are a number of players on the Yankees that are products of their own farm system. I think the majority of anti-Yankee sentiment is their ability or willingness to outspend virtually everyone on free agents. But that really has only been the case in the last 10-15 years; what we'll call the "win at all costs" era. True, before that they were able and willing to spend more money but not to the extent that they're doing it now or have done recently.

SO...yes, in the "win at all costs" era of the last 10-15 years, the Yankees have 5 titles to speak of. That is a ton of titles in the modern era, but when compared to their other 22 titles in MLB history, it really isn't. And of those 5 modern titles, Jeter, Posada, Pettitte and Rivera were products of their own farm system. In other words, its at least arguable that those titles were NOT the product of the "win at all costs" mentality, especially when you consider how good Rivera's been, that Andy Pettitte, although a cheater, is the all-time postseason wins leader etc.

I hate the Yankees like the next guy, but I think too much emphasis is put on how much they spend. Its certainly arguable that 2009 is the only title that they've won simply because they outspent everyone else. Without CC, Teixeira, A-Rod etc, the Yankees probably don't win in 2009.

Anyway...I guess I'd rather focus on my team's own failures and missed chances to win -- because beating the Yankees IS doable -- than continually whine about how overmatched my team is when they play the Yankees. I guarantee you: any team that lost to the Yankees is not sitting there thinking "I wish our payroll was bigger; maybe we would've won."
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam