Summer grilling!!! I love it!!!!

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    going to the farmstands on the Eastern end of Long island for some fresh corn on the cob to grill for the rest of the week. Any other farm fresh veggies I should get to grill?
    zucchini
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    going to the farmstands on the Eastern end of Long island for some fresh corn on the cob to grill for the rest of the week. Any other farm fresh veggies I should get to grill?
    just about anything except leafy greens
    eggplant with red and yellow peppers is popular in our house
    norm wrote:
    interesting
    Ive always done the reverse.
    Ive also tried to enjoy the ribeye cut (even going for the bone in cowboy on occasion), but its not for me.
    The strip is still king around here.

grilling for 17 Japanese peeps this weekend
    still trying to come up with something good and relatively easy
    dogs for the kids
    was gonna do baby lamb chops with a mint basil sauce, but man $16 a pound! I will have no money for Beer! :lol:
    EDIT: bone in cowboy doesnt sound right! :lol:
  • Get_Right wrote:
    norm wrote:
    interesting
    Ive always done the reverse.
    Ive also tried to enjoy the ribeye cut (even going for the bone in cowboy on occasion), but its not for me.
    The strip is still king around here.

grilling for 17 Japanese peeps this weekend
    still trying to come up with something good and relatively easy
    dogs for the kids
    was gonna do baby lamb chops with a mint basil sauce, but man $16 a pound! I will have no money for Beer! :lol:
    EDIT: bone in cowboy doesnt sound right! :lol:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to try the reverse sear sometime soon...never heard of it done that way. Not that flank steak is that great of a cut, but maybe a few kalbi marinated flank would work for that size party without breaking the bank?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    but maybe a few kalbi marinated flank would work for that size party without breaking the bank?

my brother did that a couple weeks ago and they were delicious!
  • norm wrote:
    but maybe a few kalbi marinated flank would work for that size party without breaking the bank?

One of my favorite recipes for weeknight grillin'! Do you ever grill corn or asparagus? I have killer way of doing those if anyone is interested. Super easy and tasty as fuck.
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    norm wrote:

One of my favorite recipes for weeknight grillin'! Do you ever grill corn or asparagus? I have killer way of doing those if anyone is interested. Super easy and tasty as fuck.

mmm grilled corn is yummy...so are stringbeans with lots of butter and cracked pepper, cooked in a little foil packet on the grill :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:

love to hear about the asparagus! i'm one of the few people alive that doesn't like corn :oops:
  • That's funny... I've NEVER done stringbeans on the grill but those sound like they'd be killer! Alright...recipe sharing time everyone. I am a huge fan of http://www.recipezaar.com/. Type in just about anything you are interested in making and then sort by highest rating. I have yet to go wrong here.

Here are a couple of my favs:

HAMBURGERS: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Hamburgers-10428
    If you like horseradish then ADD IT! These are insanely killer burgers.

MUSHROOMS: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Sauteed-Mushrooms-28766
    Not a grill recipe I know but insane with steak. I serve these with Filets or Ribeyes...absolutely amazing!

Others:

ASPARAGUS: (from a Weber book I have I think)
    Do not snap the "woody" ends off your asparagus (I think it's a waste if you are grilling them)
    Use flat skewers to make rafts out the asparagus. I prefer flat metal ones but you can use wood ones too but soak them in water for 20-30 min. if you do. They should look like this:

3725834537_34d13004eb.jpg

This technique is awesome because you can direct grill them without worrying about them falling thru the grill grates.

Mix together 3 parts soy sauce, 1 part sesame oil, and add as much Sriracha sauce as you want. Baste the asparagus and let sit for 10 minutes. Grill on medium high for 4-5 min per side (or according to how crispy you like it) basting once or twice with the sauce each side during grilling. I like a little bit of char to them. They are still crispy and have a unique caramelized flavor. Remove from grill and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you like.

GRILLED CORN:
    I prefer white corn at it's peak of sweetness in the summer but you can do whatever. I have never actually grilled corn with the husk on but I'd like to sometime. The way I like to do it is to remove the husk and stringy crap, wash the ears, and dry them thoroughly. Use room temp butter and get that shit spread all over the corn. Sprinkle with salt and pepper or seasoning salt (like Johnny's) OR you can kick it up by chopping fresh cilantro into the butter. Roll corn up in a 1-2 ft. sheet of foil and grill on high 15-20 minutes turning to grill all sides every 5 or so minutes.

Hell, you could make all of these for one great meal I guess. Just make sure you have sunshine, ice cold beers and Pearl Jam to make it perfect!
    Thanks for the tips
    never been a huge fan of flank steak
    Japanese refer to Kalbi as marinated short ribs, sliced thin and grilled
    but thats not a bad idea
    really easy and I could serve it with pickled daikon, a little chili paste and lettuce wraps...I like it

I think I am going to do a robata-yaki party-skewers of all types-only downside is I will have to get up at the crack of dawn to start skewering................still not sure
    But I guess I will decide when I hit the store in the am

happy fourth all!
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    I was smoking some ribs the other day and decided I wanted to try and smoke a potato too :) I did a quick internet search for "smoked potato" and clicked on the first link that came up...and it was a winner! It is delicious; skin is the best part!
    http://bbq.about.com/od/vegetablerecipe ... 30926f.htm
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    Yet another way the 10c community can make your life so much easier and happy!

Happy fourth indeed! Thanks for all the tips.
  • PJPOWER wrote:
    I was smoking some ribs the other day and decided I wanted to try and smoke a potato too :) I did a quick internet search for "smoked potato" and clicked on the first link that came up...and it was a winner! It is delicious; skin is the best part!
    http://bbq.about.com/od/vegetablerecipe ... 30926f.htm

That sounds awesome! I think I'll give that a go this weekend...thanks for the tip.

I smoked both raw almonds and cheddar recently. The almonds were insane but the cheese was kind of a flop...I tried to cold smoke it but ended up getting too hot and melted.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    marinating a bunch of strip steaks for tonight. you should see them. they look delicious just sitting in my fridge raw....i figure a solid 9 hours will do the trick....OH. YES.

the fiance got some string beans going. a lil mashed potatas...some corn on the cobb.

and of course....more than our fair share of coronas on this 101 degree saturday.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL. AND MY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    to hot to go near that grill today-Im doing chilled shrimp, cold soba noodles and seaweed salad

but I made some killer pork chops with a Chinese style BBQ sauce earlier this week!
    Kids ate em up!

vodka tonics to start flowing in a bout an hour :D
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    shoulda taken those steaks off 2 or 3 minutes earlier.... :x

thanks coronas :x
    www.myspace.com
  • Sunday....

I cooked some New York Strips on the grill....Along with 1 1/2lbs of King Crab Legs........

Life is good!!!!!
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    How long do you have to cook crab legs on a grill? :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • justam wrote:
    How long do you have to cook crab legs on a grill? :geek:

Well the crab legs were frozen....So I just wrapped them in aluminum foil and basically steamed them....

I guess I had them on the grill for 15 minutes or so...
    They turned out perfect....
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,124
    I love grilling, it's the best. I've been usingmy grill quite a lot this summer. Tonight I'm grilling a couple of ribeyes for me and my wife. Great looking steaks....has me hungry already and it's not even lunch time yet. Might grill some corn on the cob or some potatos to go with the steaks too. Mmm...
  • I love grilling, it's the best. I've been usingmy grill quite a lot this summer. Tonight I'm grilling a couple of ribeyes for me and my wife. Great looking steaks....has me hungry already and it's not even lunch time yet. Might grill some corn on the cob or some potatos to go with the steaks too. Mmm...
    I have been on a "ribeye' kick, for the last few summers. This year, for some reason, we have been doing a lot more strip steaks and porterhouses....But nothing beats a good ribeye.....
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,124
    I love grilling, it's the best. I've been usingmy grill quite a lot this summer. Tonight I'm grilling a couple of ribeyes for me and my wife. Great looking steaks....has me hungry already and it's not even lunch time yet. Might grill some corn on the cob or some potatos to go with the steaks too. Mmm...
    I have been on a "ribeye' kick, for the last few summers. This year, for some reason, we have been doing a lot more strip steaks and porterhouses....But nothing beats a good ribeye.....
    Yeah, ribeyes are my favorite cut of steak.

We usually mix it up with strip steaks (and a t-bone every now and then), but lately it's just been ribeyes....not complaining though!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    im still waiting on summer.
    i can remember 3 days this summer that were maybe 80ish.
    it's been gray-damp all summer and about 50 degrees.

summer grilling is a depression.
    how does cory say it?
    suck my charcoal?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i get strip, porter, or ribeye depending on the price. i prefer porter obviously, but its not on sale very often. :lol: so i typically get the strip. not a bad consolation prize. ribeyes are good, but at little more fatty than i like.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I wish I could take you people to a little meat locker in Farmington, Iowa.

Farmington Locker Plant
    206 State St
    Farmington, IA 52626

(319) 878-3316

I just called them. They want to start shipping orders when they get more room added on.
    Please call them and let them know they are needed. They have the best meat you will ever eat.
    It has to be cooked on hickory wood and or charcoal. Gas grills work too. This is southeast Iowa grain fed meats with great marbling and supreme flavor and texture. I eat it with a knife and or my bare hands.
    This is camping, this is grilling in your backyard, this is kitchen pleasure.

This was always an adventure, now amazing memories.
    Please eat a steak, chicken, pork, brats.

Old style beef jerky that will destroy you, you will win.
    If you feed a golden labrador puppy named Lewis this beef jerky while camping
    he will be your best friend forever.

You may tell them I sent you.
    Chad, in Washington. (i used to live near there)

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    if you'd like to taste some excellent bbq sauce.
    you should try this one.
    it's really something amazing.
    these people helped me out and are wonderful people.
    i bought a case one time and gave them as gifts to friends and family.

Uncle Dea's Family Restaurant & Barbecue Sauce
    1143 28th St S.
    St. Petersburg, Florida 33712

(727) 323-3898
    <!-- e --><a href="mailto:uncledea@excite.com">uncledea@excite.com</a><!-- e -->
    bump for the man of greatness with a bbq pit.
    only a fool would not order a bottle.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • That's my one of my favorite parts of summer, most of our meals come off the grill. :D
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    one perk to living in TX is that you can truly grill year round. i'm going to grill up some chicken brats (stuffed with spinach & feta cheese) & some bbq burgers tonight. yum.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    one perk to living in TX is that you can truly grill year round. i'm going to grill up some chicken brats (stuffed with spinach & feta cheese) & some bbq burgers tonight. yum.
    texas is a mighty fine bbq pit
    love texas food
    i salute you

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce