Summer grilling!!! I love it!!!!

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    eyedclaar wrote:
    norm wrote:
    actually, webers smokey joes come in a tabletop, portable version...i think under $50. can't beat that.

when i moved into my first apartment when i was 19, i bought one of those and would grill outside on the walkway (i was on the 2nd floor)...well, my manager put a stop to that so being the genius guy that i am, i said 'fine, i'll do it in the kitchen' :? ...in my mind i thought putting a charcoal grill on top of the stove and turning the vent on to let the smoke escape was the perfect solution...ya know in a small space, those little grills can make an awful lot of smoke and fire...still surprised i didn't burn the building down

:oops: :P :lol: :wave:

hahaha Nice work, Norm!

genius, indeed!
    :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    eyedclaar wrote:
    hahaha Nice work, Norm!

genius, indeed!

point being, lauri shouldn't give up trying to grill...obstacles are put there to be overcome...where there's a will, there's a way :P :D
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    norm wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    hahaha Nice work, Norm!

genius, indeed!

point being, lauri shouldn't give up trying to grill...obstacles are put there to be overcome...where there's a will, there's a way :P :D

absolutely....and holds true for most things.
    grilling
    love
    weekends
    all of it.
    know what you want, and go for it!
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• LauriLauri Posts: 748
    norm wrote:

hahaha yeah well I'd like to continue having a place to live after grilling a piece of fish one night. I love apartment living but it is one downfall. I don't even live in a building, I live in a multi-family house, but there's no place to grill. When they first moved in my upstairs neighbors were going to try to grill on our little strip of grass, but it never gets mowed and the hedge doesn't get trimmed, so they quickly realized that by June you need a machette to get back there.
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    milarso wrote:
    Aero83_ wrote:
    I wish halibut wouldnt fall apart on the grill so easy, because it taste so good grilled...anyone got any remedies for that?

Get some small planks of cedar and grill the fish on them.
    Check this out:
    http://bbq.about.com/od/fishandseafood/a/aa100204a.htm

Cool, thanks for the tip..that sounds way better than the tacky tinfoil method. Weird how it only happens with Halibut, tho.. Mahi Mahi (or dorado if your in baja), Salmon, Yellow Tail..etc..no problem with pieces falling off, just Halibut...
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    My father is a rancher and I split a steer with him once a year (100% certified grassfed angus). I just stocked my freezer with my yearly supply of burgers, T-bones and ribeyes and converted my grill to hook up to the natural gas line comming from my house :) Grilling has always been my primary way of cooking, whether it be vegies or meat! I have a hard time talking myself into going to steak houses these days... Gonna grill me up a steak and sweet potato fries approx 1 hour. This thread made me hungry.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Aero83_ wrote:
    milarso wrote:
    Aero83_ wrote:
    I wish halibut wouldnt fall apart on the grill so easy, because it taste so good grilled...anyone got any remedies for that?

Get some small planks of cedar and grill the fish on them.
    Check this out:
    http://bbq.about.com/od/fishandseafood/a/aa100204a.htm

Cool, thanks for the tip..that sounds way better than the tacky tinfoil method. Weird how it only happens with Halibut, tho.. Mahi Mahi (or dorado if your in baja), Salmon, Yellow Tail..etc..no problem with pieces falling off, just Halibut...

it is good. do it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Lauri wrote:
    I used to grill all the time when I lived at a place with grills. I think I would actually cook sometimes if I had a grill now. I don't have anywhere to put one though, and don't have enough money to buy one!

My gosh, someone is actually griping about grilling!
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Today I made stuffed jalapenos, wrapped them in bacon and put them on the grill. First time I've ever made them, and they were fantastic.
    They went great with the grilled tomatoes, asparagus, onions and corn on the cob.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Corn On The Cob on The Weber: One of my absolute favorite things about summer
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    mmmm
    just had a sausage burger off the grill
    with my homemade pickles on the side

YUM
    so we are giving the ol beer can chicken a second go today. i'm going to use a darker beer to infuse more flavor, but does anybody have any tips on getting the skin crispy?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:
    so we are giving the ol beer can chicken a second go today. i'm going to use a darker beer to infuse more flavor, but does anybody have any tips on getting the skin crispy?
    perhaps you can cook it beer can style, then when it's about 3/4 cooked, grill it regular style.
    just trying to help out a fellow chef
    good luck, Sir.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    81 wrote:

Right after you wash it, rub a bit of oil (olive or vegetable) all over the skin.
    After that, I normally put a rub of salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar and cajun seasoning all over. It really crisps it up. I also put a little of the rub (tablespoon or so) in the beer.
    Also, if you like onions, slice up half an onion and put it in the neck cavity along with the beer.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    milarso wrote:
    81 wrote:

Right after you wash it, rub a bit of oil (olive or vegetable) all over the skin.
    After that, I normally put a rub of salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar and cajun seasoning all over. It really crisps it up. I also put a little of the rub (tablespoon or so) in the beer.
    Also, if you like onions, slice up half an onion and put it in the neck cavity along with the beer.

We still talking about poultry here?
    milarso wrote:
    81 wrote:

We still talking about poultry here?

Smart ass :D
    milarso wrote:
    81 wrote:

you are fantastic.
    that sounds good.

you a cook?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    you are fantastic.
    that sounds good.

you a cook?

Thanks- I've made this kind of chicken a few times already this year, so we've got it down to a science :lol:
    The last few years I've really started doing a lot more cooking, especially on the grill. Now that it's nice outside, I find myself looking for cool new things to try.
    milarso wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    you are fantastic.
    that sounds good.

you a cook?

Thanks- I've made this kind of chicken a few times already this year, so we've got it down to a science :lol:
    The last few years I've really started doing a lot more cooking, especially on the grill. Now that it's nice outside, I find myself looking for cool new things to try.
    well i'd say you have beer can chicken down to a science, like you said...
    do you ever smoke your meats?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

I haven't, but I'd like to. I have been looking at some smokers, but money's kind of tight right now. Maybe for next summer. I do like to grill with mesquite, so I can get a little smoke flavor on my bbq, but that's all I've really experimented with so far.
    milarso wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

I haven't, but I'd like to. I have been looking at some smokers, but money's kind of tight right now. Maybe for next summer. I do like to grill with mesquite, so I can get a little smoke flavor on my bbq, but that's all I've really experimented with so far.
    you're more than halfway there my friend.
    use wood, burn it @ low heat.
    you're smoking.

where one lives plays a huge roll in the wood they have access to.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    milarso wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

lump charcoal for the win....

even tho tonight i will use propane. :?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    milarso wrote:
    81 wrote:

that's basically what i did last time.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    so i got the skin crispy this time, however, i think i over cooked it just a bit. the breast was starting to turn tough. over did it by maybe 5-7 minutes. so skin better, meat worse. although the legs/thighs were just perfect.

steak is so much easier. :lol:

i think tonight is back to bison burgers, or lamb chops. i'm not sure.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    another secret for crispy skin

let the chicken air dry in the fridge for awhile
    the drier the skin, the crispier it can get (and I like to baste with seasoned, melted herb butter instead of olive oil)

and yeah, cooking a chicken evenly can be tough
    another suggestion is to brine it-that really helps the breast meat stay moist

I have never tried a flavor injector, but some swear by that for keeping the breast moist

when I grill a whole chicken, I usually make italian style brick chicken (cut out the backbone and butterfly the chicken)

but by far and away my favorite way to cook a chicken on a grill is with the rotisserie
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I took the day off due to a massive headache and feelings of dread and loathing. A gawd-awful case of the Mondays, basically. Funny how an extra four hours of sleep can heal that. :mrgreen:

Time to grill some turkey burgers!! Summertime and the living's easy (at least today)...
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    kenny olav wrote:
    I took the day off due to a massive headache and feelings of dread and loathing. A gawd-awful case of the Mondays, basically. Funny how an extra four hours of sleep can heal that. :mrgreen:

Time to grill some turkey burgers!! Summertime and the living's easy (at least today)...
    Nice!!!

I think I am going to fire up my grill in an hour or so....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    took home some homemade italian sausage from my brother's deli on the weekend, they will hit the grill shortly
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • going to the farmstands on the Eastern end of Long island for some fresh corn on the cob to grill for the rest of the week. Any other farm fresh veggies I should get to grill?