ever just know

123457»

Comments

• blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Lauri wrote:
    I don't care where I go, or what I do on my time off. The important thing is to disconnect and enjoy. Just relax and go with it.

I have a job that is considered one of the most unpleasantly stressful in the organization, but when I leave work at the end of the day, the end of the week, or for vacation _ I leave it behind me. It's highly confidential, which is great because I never talk about cases with my husband or my friends, thus no reliving work stresses.

I don't stress about what the house looks like. We don't apologize for having a lived in house with occasional tumbleweeds of dog fur. It's comfortable. Come in, put your feet up, have a laugh.

In my experience, until my head is in the right place I have no clarity and can't enjoy my time off. Once you get to that point, the simplest things bring the most pleasure. I had as much fun throwing the ball for the dogs yesterday after work as I did on my vacation to Florida a couple of months ago.

It's not the setting or the activity: it's you.

I think I turn off and tune out TOO much. I get home from work and totally zone out in front of the TV. I don't want to do anything. It's all I can do to cook dinner and go through the trouble of eating it. I blow off everything I know I'm *supposed* to be doing. I don't get my stuff ready for the next day, I don't fold my laundry, I don't go to bed early, which means I don't wake up early, which means I don't work out, and then I get to work later than I want to. It's like nothing is important to me. I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what I've written that I'm obsessed with my job or workaholic or something. It couldn't be further the from the truth. My job is ok, there's no reward for it, I'm supposedly doing something "important," but it in the end no one even reads our reports, and in the end, I have major focus/ADHD issues, so on a daily basis I get bored after like an hour and on a long term basis I get bored after like 6 months. Believe me, I don't have problems tuning out at the end of the day. I'm tuned out by 11 am. Tuning out when you're not supposed to is stressful- that's why anxiety is so highly linked with ADHD. And it's all the other stuff too- I know my life would be less stressful if I just dialed in and went to bed early and stayed organized and got to the gym on time (I love working out, and I know I have to to stay healthy and look good, and I know it makes me feel better and focus more...and yet, it's not motivation enough to get me to bed at night? that's stressful). So it's more like being a slacker stresses me out. There's something about removing yourself from the situation and kind of starting over and rebooting that seems like it would really help me, just getting a fresh start. It's hard to know where to draw that line of a fresh start if it's not really clear and all the days are just running together.

You could always get a couple of friends together and upload a program to the company computers that funnels the fractions of pennies that they round off into an account you set up...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748

You could always get a couple of friends together and upload a program to the company computers that funnels the fractions of pennies that they round off into an account you set up...

ha! awesome.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I suggest biking to work ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    2 more work days until a week off! Some day trips with the kids, maybe a couple overnight camping trips. I like not having a set "plan" for vacation, cause then it starts to feel like work and loses it's appeal as a way to regain sanity.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    2 more work days until a week off! Some day trips with the kids, maybe a couple overnight camping trips. I like not having a set "plan" for vacation, cause then it starts to feel like work and loses it's appeal as a way to regain sanity.

awww so jealous! :lol: I've got about 9 weeks to go till my week long camping trip...Me, little Mr K, friends and thier kids.... wing it, that's how we do it too. This is the first time we have done a beach camp trip though, the others have always been national parks, homesteads, lakes etc So this should be a nice change.

Hope you have a great time and beautiful weather.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

awww so jealous! :lol: I've got about 9 weeks to go till my week long camping trip...Me, little Mr K, friends and thier kids.... wing it, that's how we do it too. This is the first time we have done a beach camp trip though, the others have always been national parks, homesteads, lakes etc So this should be a nice change.

Thanks!

Beach camping - that sounds right up my alley. I should look locally to see if we can do that around here.

Thanks!

Beach camping - that sounds right up my alley. I should look locally to see if we can do that around here.

my friend beach camping this week somewhere in Maine.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Just booked a weekend trip to Seattle next month, awesome deals on Alaska Air :D I can't wait!!!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Just booked a weekend trip to Seattle next month, awesome deals on Alaska Air :D I can't wait!!!
    eww I am so envious, someday I will find my way there
    if you take pics please post :clap:
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    pandora wrote:
    I've been a few times, thankfully it's not very far so affordable flights pop up every so often. Only a 2-hour flight! I love it there, and have friends there I haven't seen in a while so it'll be great to catch up and hang out :) I will definitely share some pics! It's my sister's first time going and she's a photographer so I'll defer to her eyes I'm sure :D
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    I've been a few times, thankfully it's not very far so affordable flights pop up every so often. Only a 2-hour flight! I love it there, and have friends there I haven't seen in a while so it'll be great to catch up and hang out :) I will definitely share some pics! It's my sister's first time going and she's a photographer so I'll defer to her eyes I'm sure :D
    hey thanks, we will all look forward to that! Enjoy! :D
    this problem just keeps getting worse.

No one can understand why I can't go away. They just say I have to adjust my "priorities" and save more money. Well, even if I made my day-to-day life miserable and lived in a one room shack in the suburbs, sat in the dark with no cable or internet, never socialized, quit the gym and got fat, sold my bike, and never bought coffee, I still wouldn't have enough money to pay my bills, let alone save enough go away. And then I'd be living miserably for years on the off chance I could put away $10/month to afford a small trip 20 years from now.
    I can't take it anymore. I feel like can't breathe all day and I just want to hurt myself. I need a break or something so badly...but I've just got another huge project I have to finish by the end of the week (so this other guy can go on vacation for two weeks) and I have to leave for a wedding on friday and I have nothing to wear to the wedding or anything and I haven't been getting enough exercise and I don't have enough money for groceries and one of my bosses told me he has "little faith" in me and that the project that has been my entire life for the past several months is "just all wrong." I need to go to sleep but I can't.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Lauri wrote:
    I can't take it anymore. I feel like can't breathe all day and I just want to hurt myself. I need a break or something so badly...but I've just got another huge project I have to finish by the end of the week (so this other guy can go on vacation for two weeks) and I have to leave for a wedding on friday and I have nothing to wear to the wedding or anything and I haven't been getting enough exercise and I don't have enough money for groceries and one of my bosses told me he has "little faith" in me and that the project that has been my entire life for the past several months is "just all wrong." I need to go to sleep but I can't.

You don't seem very happy with your work situation. Perhaps looking for another job might help. Seriously, I had jobs I loved that after 5years became too monotonous for me, therefore the challenges and satisfaction weren't there for me anymore. I changed jobs, similar but different and more challenging position and my outlook changed completely. Change is as good as a holiday.
    Lauri wrote:

You don't seem very happy with your work situation. Perhaps looking for another job might help. Seriously, I had jobs I loved that after 5years became too monotonous for me, therefore the challenges and satisfaction weren't there for me anymore. I changed jobs, similar but different and more challenging position and my outlook changed completely. Change is as good as a holiday.

In many ways I'm not, I've just only been here for about 20 months and I was only at my last job for 15. I need to stay at a job long enough to succeed at something. I'm failing at this project I've been giving that was a total test to prove myself, I know, and I need to prove myself because if I don't I won't get promoted, and if I don't get promoted, I'll continue making less money than I owe. I just think that this project was extremely ill-conceived to begin with and there was no way it could end up well.
    I might be able to take a week off in late October or early November (most likely, November). It's freaking me out! I have no idea what to do with a week off with no money and no one around to spend it with. I just don't know what to do with my first "vacation" in eight years!