ever just know

LauriLauri Posts: 748
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
that you need a vacation? I've been feeling it for a while, but the past few weeks have been especially rough- it's been really hard to focus. I dunno what the purpose of this post is, just airing grievances I guess. There's no way I can take a vacation.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CorsoCorso Posts: 201
    :| Yes. Same here. Transcendental meditation cross my mind or a good alternative. :)
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Yes, I know that feeling well. Added to that, I had someplace very specific in mind as to what would be a suitable vacation ;):) (whale watching and walks in the rainforest and on the beach)

Thankfully, I just booked a five day getaway today. The best part was that it's 5-4-3 (stay five nights and only pay for three :o :shock: :P :P :P :P )
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    yep....I usually am totally exhausted or start getting really frustrated and annoyed with everything.

Have had 2 getaways in jan/feb so feeling pretty good right now.

Funny I feel so more refreshed from a weeks worth of camping than I do if I stay at a resort etc Go figure! :D
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    Definately could use one as well but my hubby's been out of work for 10 months now so it's not going to happen. The weekend before the PJ concert in Buffalo (which is on a Monday) we're going to take a mini one the weekend before, can't wait!
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it is also nearing the end of winter ... if you live somewhere where it's cold and you haven't gotten much sun ... it's your body telling you to get some ... :)
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    polaris_x wrote:
    it is also nearing the end of winter ... if you live somewhere where it's cold and you haven't gotten much sun ... it's your body telling you to get some ... :)

very true!

i don't even necessarily need to go anywhere, just having time off.....works wonders!
    thankfully, i have a very generous vacation package.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    DUDE...I am SO there. I'm burnt out. I'm supposed to be walking out the door right now...and instead i'm laying in bed.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• LauriLauri Posts: 748
    edited March 2010
    polaris_x wrote:

very true!

i don't even necessarily need to go anywhere, just having time off.....works wonders!

Yeah we've had a few nice days in March, but always intermittent with some kind of typhoon. Plus by the time I get to the weekend I'm too disorganized to have a bike ride or anything planned.

I get a lot of days off, but I don't have any accrued because last summer I cashed it all out because I needed the money. I could go negative, but I don't have a dime to my name to go anywhere (I have many negative dimes to my name actually). I don't even have a credit card right now. The "staycation" thing sounds terrible to me- I'd just spending it freaking out that I should be doing chores or something...

Oh well I don't know why I'm torturing myself. I don't have enough money for food let alone a vacation, and I've got so many weddings later in the year I need to save both the money and the little off time I have. What I can never understand though, is how everyone I work with seems to go on these extravagant vacations...we don't get paid nearly enough to afford luxuries.
    Post edited by Lauri on
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835

LUCKY YOU...I wish I had more vacation time...I use most of it to go to shows and I'm always calculating the time, etc....but the years I've taken an actual vacation and used a week of my time the rest of the year sucked because I didn't much time left to take off as much as I would have liked and needed
    Lauri wrote:
    Yeah we've had a few nice days in March, but always intermittent with some kind of typhoon. Plus by the time I get to the weekend I'm too disorganized to have a bike ride or anything planned.

I get a lot of days off, but I don't have any accrued because last summer I cashed it all out because I needed the money. I could go negative, but I don't have a dime to my name to go anywhere (I have many negative dimes to my name actually). I don't even have a credit card right now. The "staycation" thing sounds terrible to me- I'd just spending it freaking out that I should be doing chores or something...

Oh well I don't know why I'm torturing myself. I don't have enough money for food let alone a vacation, and I've got so many weddings later in the year I need to save both the money and the little off time I have.

learn to camp ... best and cheapest vacations you can ever take ...
    so if it's impossible....don't torture yourself over it. try to enjoy the time you do have off.....your evenings and weekends. sure, it's not ideal, but if there is nothing else to do about it, well then, it's either choose to make the best of your life situation or choose to be miserable about it. it is amazing, but our reactions to our situations are well within our control, all our choice. may not be the best presently, but i find it's a lot more helpful long-term, to choose to make the best of any given situation. especially since most of us really, are fairly fortunate in our problems. hope you enjoy the spring weather that is coming our way!

oh, and as much as i adore travel...i also love staycations. however, i also don't freak out about what i 'should' be doing. it's my vacation time, so what i should be doing...is whatever i want to be doing. sometimes that IS cleaning/organizing/home projects...other times it's not much of anything....mostly it's a little of both, but it's always restorative.

and hey, there's memorial day weekend right around the corner! even just a 3 day weekend can be blissful, especially if the weather is gorgeous!

peacegirl - you are aboslutely right. i am lucky. i know it.
    honestly, i used to have even MORE vacation time as a teacher, now i work in the corporate world. amazingly, i don't miss all that time off. it was very difficult for my husband to get time off when i was, so nowadays i actually enjoy my time more b/c it's not dictated by a school schedule (when everyone wants off to be with their kids) and we can choose time off, together. i get enough to make me happy.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

polaris_x wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

Oh well I don't know why I'm torturing myself. I don't have enough money for food let alone a vacation, and I've got so many weddings later in the year I need to save both the money and the little off time I have.

learn to camp ... best and cheapest vacations you can ever take ...

nah, I used to go camping a bit. I love the hiking part, hate sleeping outdoors. Plus, all I have is a sleeping bag and buying a tent and stuff would be decidedly NOT cheap. On top of that, backpacking alone frightens me. I've day hiked alone, and even then I find myself getting a little nervous, like if something happened, no one would ever know...
    Lauri wrote:
    nah, I used to go camping a bit. I love the hiking part, hate sleeping outdoors. Plus, all I have is a sleeping bag and buying a tent and stuff would be decidedly NOT cheap. On top of that, backpacking alone frightens me. I've day hiked alone, and even then I find myself getting a little nervous, like if something happened, no one would ever know...

there are outdoors clubs/groups in most places ... people who do this stuff always have lots of extra gear ... where is our resident outdoorsman?
    edited March 2010

and hey, there's memorial day weekend right around the corner! even just a 3 day weekend can be blissful, especially if the weather is gorgeous!

actually, I don't have memorial day off. Our vacation days, sick days, and holidays are all one in the same. We get a number of days we can take off, including like thanksgiving day and every thing, and we can do whatever we want with them. Thus, I don't have vacation time accrued=I don't have holidays accrued. Anyway, I've never been one to enjoy 3-day weekends. They always depress me because everyone goes away somewhere and I end up spending 3 days in the house watching the History Channel.

Literally, in the past 14 months, I think I've taken off July 4th, thanksgiving, a random friday for a wedding, 2 days for christmas, and then 2 or 3 days at New Years for a wedding, about 5 hours of which was "vacation" for me.
    Post edited by Lauri on
    Lauri wrote:

actually, I don't have memorial day off. Our vacation days, sick days, and holidays are all one in the same. We get a number of days we can take off, including like thanksgiving day and every thing, and we can do whatever we want with them. Thus, I don't have vacation time accrued=I don't have holidays accrued. Anyway, I've never been one to enjoy 3-day weekends. They always depress me because everyone goes away somewhere and I end up spending 3 days in the house.

ok.
    differing perspectives....

happy friday!
    :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited March 2010
    Lauri wrote:
    Our vacation days, sick days, and holidays are all one in the same. We get a number of days we can take off, including like thanksgiving day and every thing, and we can do whatever we want with them. .

So, in the US, do you get a certain number of sick days (which you will be paid for) but that you can take even if you're not sick?

I feel I desperately need a holiday but one on my own. We have a couple of trips planned, a week at Easter and a couple of weeks in August but, at the moment, I find holidays away a lot more stressful than staying at home! I think I need a solitary road trip!
    Post edited by redrock on
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Lauri wrote:

actually, I don't have memorial day off. Our vacation days, sick days, and holidays are all one in the same. We get a number of days we can take off, including like thanksgiving day and every thing, and we can do whatever we want with them. Thus, I don't have vacation time accrued=I don't have holidays accrued. Anyway, I've never been one to enjoy 3-day weekends. They always depress me because everyone goes away somewhere and I end up spending 3 days in the house watching the History Channel.
    i love the history channel. i could easily watch that all day!

and i have today off as a holiday from work (cesar chavez day, part of the spring break at campus), i am EXCITED to not have to do a damn thing if i don't want to :mrgreen: i love being home :) happy friday everybody!
    redrock wrote:
    Lauri wrote:
    Our vacation days, sick days, and holidays are all one in the same. We get a number of days we can take off, including like thanksgiving day and every thing, and we can do whatever we want with them. .

So, in the US, do you get a certain number of sick days (which you will be paid for) but that you can take even if you're not sick?

"technically" you are only supposed to use sick leave for illness or medical reasons, including family members.
    in regards to HOW many days you get, depends entirely on your employer. some get a set # of days and must use em or lose em, others have a much more open system of no pre-determined # of days, just take what you need when you need em.

chica - you bet!
    LOVE relax, do-nothing time - enjoy!

and red - vacations on your own can be soooo awesome! :thumbup:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Thanks D2D. When I used to live and work in the US I didn't have a pre-determined number of days (but that was soooooooooooooooooooooooo long ago!). It's just that I've heard/read on several occasions americans saying stuff like "I've got sick days coming so I thought I would use them up.", etc.
    Lauri wrote:
    Literally, in the past 14 months, I think I've taken off July 4th, thanksgiving, a random friday for a wedding, 2 days for christmas, and then 2 or 3 days at New Years for a wedding, about 5 hours of which was "vacation" for me.

good grief ... what are you working for then? ... change it up ... do something ... at the very least ... pick the next nice day and spend 10 minutes doing nothing but having the sun hit you square in the face ... keep your eyes closed tho ...

I really miss those days!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    redrock wrote:
    I think I need a solitary road trip!

and you totally deserve it!! I cannot begin to think how busy you must be with everything... no chance of getting a weekend away on your own?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    chica - you bet!
    yeah i took a day off last week too, i have to start using some of my vacation time. i had completed my 15 years of service at work last november, and come to find out i hadn't been accruing the right amount of time for 5 years! they were shorting me 2 hrs every month that was owed to me....so now i'm getting a crapload of hours added on top of what i already saved up. so it's a use or lose sorta deal. the HR guy told me i should take 2 days off at least every month just to keep the balance manageable.

so hey, why argue with the guy? :lol: having that random day off last week did me SO much good, i was needing it!

and i love the term 'staycaton', it's something i think all of us were doing before there was even an official name for it! i love exploring where i live, even just getting in the car and picking a random direction to go in, never know what you'll find.
    polaris_x wrote:
    there are outdoors clubs/groups in most places ... people who do this stuff always have lots of extra gear ... where is our resident outdoorsman?

yeah I used to have a lot of friends who had extra gear, which is how I always managed in the past. Now I just don't live near them. I was also in an outdoors club for years, but I quit because I realized I wasn't having any fun- there was always just too big of a group and I never really connected with any of the other members. Besides as I said the sleeping outside thing just ruins backpacking for me. I don't know why I hate it so much, but I've never slept a wink in a tent/sleeping bag.
    chica - you bet!
    yeah i took a day off last week too, i have to start using some of my vacation time. i had completed my 15 years of service at work last november, and come to find out i hadn't been accruing the right amount of time for 5 years! they were shorting me 2 hrs every month that was owed to me....so now i'm getting a crapload of hours added on top of what i already saved up. so it's a use or lose sorta deal. the HR guy told me i should take 2 days off at least every month just to keep the balance manageable.

so hey, why argue with the guy? :lol: having that random day off last week did me SO much good, i was needing it!

and i love the term 'staycaton', it's something i think all of us were doing before there was even an official name for it! i love exploring where i live, even just getting in the car and picking a random direction to go in, never know what you'll find.

haha - fantastic!

i love random days off too, good for the soul.
    i actually used a vacation day last tuesday to try for 10c MSG tix :oops: - hahaha. thankfully, WELL worth it...scored for both nights. AND just so happened to be one of THE most gorgeous weather days of the year thus far. so, i spent my morning outside in the sun, with my iced coffee...then the frenzy of trying for tix....then back outside enjoying the weather....and then more ticket frenzy. :mrgreen: overall, a good day! :lol:

and yes, agreed. i guess it all depends on what you enjoy. i too LOVE visitng the many interesting and beautiful places right at home, hitting up a weekday matinee film....trying new resturants in the area....sometimes doing projects....just *being*. it's very restorative. sometimes when i take a vacation and travel, just do SO much, i feel like i need a staycation after my vacation. :? so it really depends what you want/need at the time.

redrock wrote:

I really miss those days!

well, ya get yerself a cheap flight....and you've always got a place to visit in NY. i may not cook for ya, tho mr. dream might ;)....but i know wonderful restaurants. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

edited March 2010
    dunkman wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    I think I need a solitary road trip!

and you totally deserve it!! I cannot begin to think how busy you must be with everything... no chance of getting a weekend away on your own?

Not really, unfortunately. Maybe in the future.

well, ya get yerself a cheap flight....and you've always got a place to visit in NY. i may not cook for ya, tho mr. dream might ;)....but i know wonderful restaurants. :mrgreen:

That you be lovely. One day..... :mrgreen:
    Post edited by redrock on
    haha - fantastic!

i love random days off too, good for the soul.
    i actually used a vacation day last tuesday to try for 10c MSG tix :oops: - hahaha. thankfully, WELL worth it...scored for both nights. AND just so happened to be one of THE most gorgeous weather days of the year thus far. so, i spent my morning outside in the sun, with my iced coffee...then the frenzy of trying for tix....then back outside enjoying the weather....and then more ticket frenzy. :mrgreen: overall, a good day! :lol:

and yes, agreed. i guess it all depends on what you enjoy. i too LOVE visitng the many interesting and beautiful places right at home, hitting up a weekday matinee film....trying new resturants in the area....sometimes doing projects....just *being*. it's very restorative. sometimes when i take a vacation and travel, just do SO much, i feel like i need a staycation after my vacation. :? so it really depends what you want/need at the time.
    it truly is good for the soul, just breaks up the monotony.

that's smart to take the day off for MSG tix, that's like a job right there :lol: congrats on scoring for both nights by the way! i'd need a day off after trying for tix on the 10c site....just to recover, ack lol

that's true, after a trip i'm wiped out, just wanna go go go. there's a lot to be said for nowhere, or doing nothing lol i have a big drawing i want to finish up today, i think curled up on the couch by the window with kitty next to me sounds like a good plan :)
    redrock wrote:
    Thanks D2D. When I used to live and work in the US I didn't have a pre-determined number of days (but that was soooooooooooooooooooooooo long ago!). It's just that I've heard/read on several occasions americans saying stuff like "I've got sick days coming so I thought I would use them up.", etc.

yes.
    \where i work, we have no determined # of days. you use what you use, when you need it. granted, if they notice abuse/overuse.....they may question, ask for documentation, etc. bot overall, i think it's probably beneficial to both employer and employee. where my husband works, he gets X amount of hours a year - a very generous amount - and it accrues over time. they do monitor hours highly and people can get in 'trouble' if they use too much of their own time :? they also need documentation if they are out more than 3 days. haha....but overall, i think it's a silly practice. when people retire, many will have months of sick leave they 'earned' saved up, which they then use with some note from a doctor....and use their time that way. it's bizarre. when i taught, you got 10 sick days a year, and if you accrued 30 over time, they would pay you halfpay for those days and you'd start over with your balance. it just makes sense to have an open policy imo, but yea....employers set their own systems.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Lauri wrote:
    yeah I used to have a lot of friends who had extra gear, which is how I always managed in the past. Now I just don't live near them. I was also in an outdoors club for years, but I quit because I realized I wasn't having any fun- there was always just too big of a group and I never really connected with any of the other members. Besides as I said the sleeping outside thing just ruins backpacking for me. I don't know why I hate it so much, but I've never slept a wink in a tent/sleeping bag.

my best sleeps are always in my tent next to a waterfall or some rapids ... but yeah - it's not for everyone ... thankfully ... :mrgreen:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

good grief ... what are you working for then? ... change it up ... do something ... at the very least ... pick the next nice day and spend 10 minutes doing nothing but having the sun hit you square in the face ... keep your eyes closed tho ...

hahahaha good advice on keeping your eyes closed :).

Well when I first started working here, even thought we're professionals, we got paid by the hour (small company, didn't know what they were doing). So, if I took a day off, my pay check was like $200 lower. As I'm barely getting by as it is, I could never take a day off, not even a holiday. Then last summer they went normal and levelized vacation time through the year. As a result, I started getting paid $400 less per month, so I had to cash them all out. I stopped cashing them out because I needed to accrue some in case I get sick or you know, someone else decides to have a wedding. So now I'm getting paid less AND have no days off AND can barely pay my rent AND am completely stressed and burned out.