ever just know

Comments

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Lauri wrote:
    You have to assign priority to things other than work though. If that is your only priority, then there *is* an imbalance. One works to live, not lives to work.

A vacation helps to equalize things some, but from what I recall seeing in this thread, you shot down every suggestion. So dunno what to say about that. An adjustment in how you portion out your time in general, beyond a trip, might be more in order. Good luck, hope you can strike a balance somehow so you can be happy :)

what can one assign priority to other than work, family, and friends?
    what suggestions have people made other than camping? I just don't like camping very much, especially without friends. Is that a crime?
    It's not possible for me to alot time to anything that costs something on a regular basis. Sure I somehow make it happen if Pearl Jam or another band I like is coming to town or something, but anything that is a reoccurring expense like classes or something isn't possible. From what I have to work with, I portion out my time pretty well. I don't think I really have an imbalance there.
    I think folks have suggested the idea of a staycation, or an extended weekend, doing something local, beyond the camping suggestion. There's a myriad of things one can do to change the scenery without breaking the bank. But as usual, you dismiss all of it. Oh well.

If you didn't have an imbalance, you wouldn't feel so burnt out.I'm in the midst of planning a small getaway next month cuz I'm feeling the need bigtime :)

Best of luck to you.

And Pandora, LOVE the puppy!! :D
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    pandora wrote:
    memories, I have to work hard before I go away and play catch up on return but in between are far out memories made, even on a staycation ,and that's what life is all about, making beautiful memories :D
    well that and loving and of course being a positive force :mrgreen::lol:
    image-23.jpg

what kind of memories do you make on staycation? see I wouldn't mind it if I could think of something to do while I'm doing it. I've been to every museum and attraction around here a thousand times, it's not enough to give me something to look forward to, which to me seems to be a really important part of the whole vacation thing, you know? I just don't want to be alone with my thoughts all week watching TV and doing housework until I finally give up and go into the office.

and chiquimonkey- I took a monday off several weeks ago and took the monday flowing the fourth of july off. it's just not even long enough of a break, and it's not satisfying enough. the first one I just went to the gym and did some errands, the second one I hung out with my mother, which was really fun, but it wasn't enough to make a significant difference.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Lauri wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    memories, I have to work hard before I go away and play catch up on return but in between are far out memories made, even on a staycation ,and that's what life is all about, making beautiful memories :D
    image-23.jpg

what kind of memories do you make on staycation? see I wouldn't mind it if I could think of something to do while I'm doing it. I've been to every museum and attraction around here a thousand times, it's not enough to give me something to look forward to, which to me seems to be a really important part of the whole vacation thing, you know? I just don't want to be alone with my thoughts all week watching TV and doing housework until I finally give up and go into the office.

Its the summer... it really isn't hard to find stuff to do...

Spend an afternoon at the park with a good book or tunes...
    Go to the beach for the day (doesn't have to be an ocean)...
    Go on an all day bike ride or hike somewhere peaceful and beautiful...
    Got a camera? Go around town and take some pictures of cool things (or find wildlife/scenery to photograph)...
    Got to a baseball game with a couple friends (even if you don't like sports, it can be a fun afternoon out with a couple drinks and some food)...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337

Got a camera? Go around town and take some pictures of cool things (or find wildlife/scenery to photograph)...
    Got to a baseball game with a couple friends (even if you don't like sports, it can be a fun afternoon out with a couple drinks and some food)...
    Hell I'd be happy just sleeping all day :lol:
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

Hell I'd be happy just sleeping all day :lol:

me too :)

or I could just sit on my deck and relax...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    no problem! A second job is definitely one way to change things up a bit. I've done that too. Sometimes it's just a matter of trying different things to see what works. Sometimes just by trying you can be pleasantly surprised.
    Lauri wrote:

ok sorry, I was just trying to get a better idea of what you were talking about. thanks for the clarification.

I'm actually thinking seriously about getting a second job part time in the fall. I'm not sure what or if it's allowed at my full time job. It will suck, I'm sure, but it seems like the only way to improve my life in the future.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"

yeah this is most of what I have thought of as well. I just do the park/book and all day bike ride things almost every weekend anyway, and I'm always walking around taking photos (though I find that when I purposely go out to take photos I don't find anything to shoot- I have much more luck by accident! :)) Baseball is out because of the cost (haha plus, if it's the afternoon, everyone else is working!). The beach is along the lines of what I was thinking, but I don't want to do it every day due to the long drive (and cost of parking which is ridiculous around here!). I'm just afraid of making this investment and not having any fun because I'm not doing anything particularly exciting or seeing anything new. And I think I REALLY want to get away from my apartment. I think my apartment stresses me out as much as the office. Sorry I'm just thinking out loud, trying to tally it all up.
    pandora wrote:
    image-23.jpg
    I think I need to have this puppy! Sorry to derail the thread...but it's kind of on-topic cause my pets have helped balance my life :)

no problem! A second job is definitely one way to change things up a bit. I've done that too. Sometimes it's just a matter of trying different things to see what works. Sometimes just by trying you can be pleasantly surprised.
    Lauri wrote:

ok sorry, I was just trying to get a better idea of what you were talking about. thanks for the clarification.

I'm actually thinking seriously about getting a second job part time in the fall. I'm not sure what or if it's allowed at my full time job. It will suck, I'm sure, but it seems like the only way to improve my life in the future.

Yeah I just have to get the nerve to ask my boss if it's ok. and I wonder how long it will be before I regret not having nights and weekends free. lots of uncertainty there. I guess one could just quit if it doesn't work out, which isn't in my nature once I've made a commitment but I assume it's done all the time...I haven't had a part time job since college so I have no idea how it all works anymore!
    Lauri wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

Yeah I just have to get the nerve to ask my boss if it's ok. and I wonder how long it will be before I regret not having nights and weekends free. lots of uncertainty there. I guess one could just quit if it doesn't work out, which isn't in my nature once I've made a commitment but I assume it's done all the time...I haven't had a part time job since college so I have no idea how it all works anymore!
    I wasn't sure if I could do it at my job either...I had to get special permission and adjust my schedule (I work late and needed a few evenings free to be able to add a second job), but they let me do it! There are times I hate having to work so late...but the up sides are 1) extra cash to do things when I actually have time to do them 2) I'm so exhausted during the week and have so little free time that I don't get bored and am thankful for every free second even if there's nothing to do 3) I've met some really cool people 4) I'm advancing my skills & career which could pay off in the future. It doesn't have to be forever...it probably won't be (for me), but it works for now...and it's a nice change from just my FT job. Good luck! Hope it works out for you :)

[/quote]

Yeah I just have to get the nerve to ask my boss if it's ok. and I wonder how long it will be before I regret not having nights and weekends free. lots of uncertainty there. I guess one could just quit if it doesn't work out, which isn't in my nature once I've made a commitment but I assume it's done all the time...I haven't had a part time job since college so I have no idea how it all works anymore![/quote]
    I wasn't sure if I could do it at my job either...I had to get special permission and adjust my schedule (I work late and needed a few evenings free to be able to add a second job), but they let me do it! There are times I hate having to work so late...but the up sides are 1) extra cash to do things when I actually have time to do them 2) I'm so exhausted during the week and have so little free time that I don't get bored and am thankful for every free second even if there's nothing to do 3) I've met some really cool people 4) I'm advancing my skills & career which could pay off in the future. It doesn't have to be forever...it probably won't be (for me), but it works for now...and it's a nice change from just my FT job. Good luck! Hope it works out for you :)[/quote]

good to hear, those are kind of the results I'm hoping for. I just have to think of what type of part time job to get to maximize these benefits...when I was unemployed I applied at the Apple Store because it seems like a fun place to work...there's a Trader Joe's near here and people look kinda happy there...I would love to bar tend, but I have no experience...I just want to find something that is worth it in terms of extra money, allows me to meet some new people, and is at least somewhat interesting.
    Lauri wrote:
    good to hear, those are kind of the results I'm hoping for. I just have to think of what type of part time job to get to maximize these benefits...when I was unemployed I applied at the Apple Store because it seems like a fun place to work...there's a Trader Joe's near here and people look kinda happy there...I would love to bar tend, but I have no experience...I just want to find something that is worth it in terms of extra money, allows me to meet some new people, and is at least somewhat interesting.
    How could people not be happy at Trader Joe's? :lol: I love that place. I wonder if they give an employee discount? Even more worth it! Yeah if it's a combo of fun and interesting, plus some extra cash it's so worth it! (even though I complain about working 2 jobs a lot...it's worth it or I wouldn't be doing it anymore) :oops: :lol:

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Yeah I know the feeling. I need to take a real vacation. I take days off but it's not the same. I need a change of scenery.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    Lauri wrote:
    How could people not be happy at Trader Joe's? :lol: I love that place. I wonder if they give an employee discount? Even more worth it! Yeah if it's a combo of fun and interesting, plus some extra cash it's so worth it! (even though I complain about working 2 jobs a lot...it's worth it or I wouldn't be doing it anymore) :oops: :lol:

I think they do have an employee discount. I think I also applied there while unemployed but there was some kind of problem...I think their shifts start and end at weird times or something.
    Lauri wrote:
    Lauri wrote:

I think they do have an employee discount. I think I also applied there while unemployed but there was some kind of problem...I think their shifts start and end at weird times or something.
    hmmmm....yeah some places have very strict shifts that you have to stick to...which doesn't work if you already have a FT job. Couldn't hurt to look into it though.

• FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    If $$$ is an issue and a holiday isn't something you want to do, why not try to do some volunteer work??? There are always heaps of places looking for people to help whether it be with the elderly, homeless, disabled, animals etc helping someone else can be very good for your mindset, it takes your focus of you and your problems and puts them into perspective when compared to others that really need the help. Not only that, but you will be helping the community, and learning new skills. When my little one was a bub, I was studying p/t and I did one day/week volunteer work with a NFP group that assisted people at the family court. we didn't offer advise, but were simply there as a friendly face and support for those who needed it. It was so challenging, as you wanted to do so much more than was allowed for these people, but at the same time you had to remain detached and not get emotionally involved. I learnt so much about how the court system works and how desperate humans can become when it comes to a relationship/marriage breakdown when came to the division of assets and the care of thier children. It certainly was an eye opener. I have friends who volunteer at food services for the homeless and also riding for the disabled (horse riding).....for them it's not about themselves but the gratitude and the response from those they help.
    It balances out the negative in thier lives, and they are helping make the world a way better place.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Lauri wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    image-23.jpg
    I'm 20 years older than you so the memories I make that are precious to me might be different than what you might enjoy. I'm gonna pull a senior moment here though and say "when I was your age" because it is mindset that brings contentment and joy not what you are doing.
    So early thirties we had just made a cross country move that left me unexpectedly heartbroken. I was left alone to raise the kids without friend or family cause JB was working 18 hour days everyday trying to get our printing company going. There was no money, zip, charging groceries, utility bills, borrowing for the house payment. This went on for months that turned into years. I was tired and lonely and just wanted to leave this world. Now I was saved from that and chose to live cause I had people who needed me, a life changer indeed.
    You can look at the mundane and call it that or you can appreciate every moment you are given. You can look at God's world, smell it, feel it or you can walk right through it. Joy is found in little things, this you learn day by day but it takes effort on your part to change your mindset and let yourself be content.
    Some very wise words "he whose soul is flat the sky will cave in on him by and by" Edna St. Vincent Milay
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Lauri wrote:
    that you need a vacation? I've been feeling it for a while, but the past few weeks have been especially rough- it's been really hard to focus. I dunno what the purpose of this post is, just airing grievances I guess. There's no way I can take a vacation.

Yes, every day for the past few weeks.
    Burnt out, underpaid, pissed off at managers and some other idiots there.
    Only 2 and half weeks to go before I go on 5 weeks leave and overseas!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Lauri wrote:
    that you need a vacation? I've been feeling it for a while, but the past few weeks have been especially rough- it's been really hard to focus. I dunno what the purpose of this post is, just airing grievances I guess. There's no way I can take a vacation.

Yes, every day for the past few weeks.
    Burnt out, underpaid, pissed off at managers and some other idiots there.
    Only 2 and half weeks to go before I go on 5 weeks leave and overseas!

5 weeks? Damn!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,709

5 weeks? Damn!
    We're doing something wrong here in the States. Other countries definitely have more vacation time than our normal 2 (3 if you're lucky)weeks a year (well excluding the places that make Kathie Lee Gifford's clothing lines). In Germany, doesn't the Gov't mandate like 51 weeks vacation every year.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier wrote:

5 weeks? Damn!
    We're doing something wrong here in the States. Other countries definitely have more vacation time than our normal 2 (3 if you're lucky)weeks a year (well excluding the places that make Kathie Lee Gifford's clothing lines). In Germany, doesn't the Gov't mandate like 51 weeks vacation every year.

Yes, that is how Germany does it. You would think they would be better at Soccer with all that free time.
    pandora wrote:
    image-23.jpg
    Excellent points. The day before leaving and the day returning from vacation definitely suck at work, but the experiences and memories of the time off are well worth it. Whether its just quality relaxation, breathtaking landscapes like Sag. Crux posted earlier, an adrelanine rush from an exciting activity or seeing the look on your kid's face the first time he sees Tigger at 6 feet tall in person, these are things that will stick with us.

And damn that puppy is too fucking cute.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I don't care where I go, or what I do on my time off. The important thing is to disconnect and enjoy. Just relax and go with it.

I have a job that is considered one of the most unpleasantly stressful in the organization, but when I leave work at the end of the day, the end of the week, or for vacation _ I leave it behind me. It's highly confidential, which is great because I never talk about cases with my husband or my friends, thus no reliving work stresses.

I don't stress about what the house looks like. We don't apologize for having a lived in house with occasional tumbleweeds of dog fur. It's comfortable. Come in, put your feet up, have a laugh.

In my experience, until my head is in the right place I have no clarity and can't enjoy my time off. Once you get to that point, the simplest things bring the most pleasure. I had as much fun throwing the ball for the dogs yesterday after work as I did on my vacation to Florida a couple of months ago.

It's not the setting or the activity: it's you.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)

It IS me, isn't it? Thanks for saying so.

So true. The secret to clarity and inner peace is: Dissidentman.

Kind of like Buddah, with a bucket hat.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)

You sayin' I'm fat?

You sayin' I'm fat?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rTgrKpLrs4
    Poncier wrote:

You sayin' I'm fat?

Think of it as more of you to love, just like Cartman.
    Poncier wrote:

You sayin' I'm fat?

"festively" hahaha
    I don't care where I go, or what I do on my time off. The important thing is to disconnect and enjoy. Just relax and go with it.

I have a job that is considered one of the most unpleasantly stressful in the organization, but when I leave work at the end of the day, the end of the week, or for vacation _ I leave it behind me. It's highly confidential, which is great because I never talk about cases with my husband or my friends, thus no reliving work stresses.

I don't stress about what the house looks like. We don't apologize for having a lived in house with occasional tumbleweeds of dog fur. It's comfortable. Come in, put your feet up, have a laugh.

In my experience, until my head is in the right place I have no clarity and can't enjoy my time off. Once you get to that point, the simplest things bring the most pleasure. I had as much fun throwing the ball for the dogs yesterday after work as I did on my vacation to Florida a couple of months ago.

I think I turn off and tune out TOO much. I get home from work and totally zone out in front of the TV. I don't want to do anything. It's all I can do to cook dinner and go through the trouble of eating it. I blow off everything I know I'm *supposed* to be doing. I don't get my stuff ready for the next day, I don't fold my laundry, I don't go to bed early, which means I don't wake up early, which means I don't work out, and then I get to work later than I want to. It's like nothing is important to me. I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what I've written that I'm obsessed with my job or workaholic or something. It couldn't be further the from the truth. My job is ok, there's no reward for it, I'm supposedly doing something "important," but it in the end no one even reads our reports, and in the end, I have major focus/ADHD issues, so on a daily basis I get bored after like an hour and on a long term basis I get bored after like 6 months. Believe me, I don't have problems tuning out at the end of the day. I'm tuned out by 11 am. Tuning out when you're not supposed to is stressful- that's why anxiety is so highly linked with ADHD. And it's all the other stuff too- I know my life would be less stressful if I just dialed in and went to bed early and stayed organized and got to the gym on time (I love working out, and I know I have to to stay healthy and look good, and I know it makes me feel better and focus more...and yet, it's not motivation enough to get me to bed at night? that's stressful). So it's more like being a slacker stresses me out. There's something about removing yourself from the situation and kind of starting over and rebooting that seems like it would really help me, just getting a fresh start. It's hard to know where to draw that line of a fresh start if it's not really clear and all the days are just running together.