New York for Dummies...

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    Is there anywhere in NYC that we should NOT go into?

I'm hearing you should stay away from McDowell's

Coming-to-America-em18.jpg

queens blvd. :lol:

son..im only gonna tell you this once...if you wanna keep working here...lay off the drugs :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Heatherj43 wrote:

I'm hearing you should stay away from McDowell's

Coming-to-America-em18.jpg

queens blvd. :lol:

son..im only gonna tell you this once...if you wanna keep working here...lay off the drugs :mrgreen:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Heatherj43 wrote:

New Jersey.

:)
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Heatherj43 wrote:

New Jersey.

alg_snl_paterson.jpg

:mrgreen:
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    norm wrote:

alg_snl_paterson.jpg

now thats funny :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    norm wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Heatherj43 wrote:

New Jersey.

alg_snl_paterson.jpg

:lol:

Fred Armisen is one of the only funny role players on SNL nowadays ( and Kirsten Wiig )
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • I'm leaning towards staying in Jersey City for the concert. I'm staying for the entire long weekend (Canada) and at four nights, NYC is going to be too expensive, even though Priceline. I can get a beautiful 4* hotel for a heck of a lot less in Jersey City than a 3* in NYC.

Anyway, I know the train runs fairly late (I think 1:30ish), but does anyone about how much a cab to Jersey City from the MSG area would cost? Thanks!
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    it will be about $30-not including tolls (which is $8 for the cab to get back to the city). But it could be more...depending on how far into Jersey City. ]

The PATH runs all night- but there is some train hopping to get the late night- check the PATH schedule. It is definitely cheaper to go to Jersey City and the PATH is a 20-25 min ride.
  • vduboise wrote:
    it will be about $30-not including tolls (which is $8 for the cab to get back to the city). But it could be more...depending on how far into Jersey City. ]

The PATH runs all night- but there is some train hopping to get the late night- check the PATH schedule. It is definitely cheaper to go to Jersey City and the PATH is a 20-25 min ride.

Great! Thanks!
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    edited March 2010
    vduboise wrote:

Great! Thanks!

no Path train hopping unless y're going past jersey city to newark or getting off at jersey city exchange place (world trade line stops at exchange place, midtown 33rd does not)

on weekends/late nights the two path midtown 33rd str lines combine and one train stops at both hoboken and 3 jersey city stops (newport jc, grove st jc and journal square jc)
    normally hoboken line is separate from journal sq line

You can catch the path one block from the garden (32nd and 6th avenue)
    Post edited by mauichick on
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
    I'm leaning towards staying in Jersey City for the concert. I'm staying for the entire long weekend (Canada) and at four nights, NYC is going to be too expensive, even though Priceline. I can get a beautiful 4* hotel for a heck of a lot less in Jersey City than a 3* in NYC.

Anyway, I know the train runs fairly late (I think 1:30ish), but does anyone about how much a cab to Jersey City from the MSG area would cost? Thanks!

and y'all have a pretty fabulous view
    theres both a hyatt (exchange place path stop) and a brand new westin (newport path stop) along the jersey city waterfront
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I'm leaning towards staying in Jersey City for the concert. I'm staying for the entire long weekend (Canada) and at four nights, NYC is going to be too expensive, even though Priceline. I can get a beautiful 4* hotel for a heck of a lot less in Jersey City than a 3* in NYC.

We've done this many times. In fact though we stay in Manhattan most of the time now, we always leave the car in Jersey City - you're not going to want to drive in Manhattan, and parking is way cheaper in Jersey. Just don't have too much baggage - makes it easier on the PATH. Don't bother with a cab - the PATH train is 1.75 each way - cheap!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Thanks all! :)
  • SprockeTeeSprockeTee Posts: 108
    bump & tag so i dont lose the damn thread
  • SprockeTeeSprockeTee Posts: 108
    mauichick wrote:

Ferrara's for a cannoli for sure :)

i was only in NYC one other time - and i cant tell ya what we did b/c we were drunk & bar hopped all damn day. but THIS CANNOLI I DO REMEMBER! and it was the best cannoli i ever ate! and the Napoleans too!

:o HOLY CRAP! :o
    SprockeTee wrote:
    mauichick wrote:

i was only in NYC one other time - and i cant tell ya what we did b/c we were drunk & bar hopped all damn day. but THIS CANNOLI I DO REMEMBER! and it was the best cannoli i ever ate! and the Napoleans too!

What Ferrara's is to cannoli's, this place is to the French macaron (and close to the garden!)

http://www.macaroncafe.com/

Heaven!
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    mauichick wrote:

and y'all have a pretty fabulous view
    theres both a hyatt (exchange place path stop) and a brand new westin (newport path stop) along the jersey city waterfront
    Stay at the Westin... Directly across the street from one of my offices and it is pretty nice...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    mauichick wrote:
    SprockeTee wrote:
    mauichick wrote:

What Ferrara's is to cannoli's, this place is to the French macaron (and close to the garden!)

http://www.macaroncafe.com/

Heaven!

i want to go on a foodie tour with mauichick...she seems to know all the best places.
    who's treating? :mrgreen: b/c i think a day of food with NYC and maui...well...it'll get pricey....;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    i want to go on a foodie tour with mauichick...she seems to know all the best places. who's treating? :mrgreen: b/c i think a day of food with NYC and maui...well...it'll get pricey....;)

Note to self: Start saving food money and/or stocking up on Cliff Bars.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    Too good of a thread to let it get lost.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    i want to go on a foodie tour with mauichick...she seems to know all the best places. who's treating? :mrgreen: b/c i think a day of food with NYC and maui...well...it'll get pricey....;)

Note to self: Start saving food money and/or stocking up on Cliff Bars.

oh, no worries...there are some cheap eats in NY.
    i was simply referencing a foodie tour with mauichick would NOT be cheap. especially with all the drinking too. ;)

:D

i am so psyched for these shows - and to meet and see old and new friends!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I booked our flight earlier this week. From St. Louis to LaGuardia. I think both tickets round trip were only $420.00 total (including taxes, fees, etc) and no stops. American Airlines.

Can't wait. We had planned on going to MSG shows back in 2008, but had to cancel that trip. So we are psyched about it this year.
    I booked our flight earlier this week. From St. Louis to LaGuardia. I think both tickets round trip were only $420.00 total (including taxes, fees, etc) and no stops. American Airlines.

Can't wait. We had planned on going to MSG shows back in 2008, but had to cancel that trip. So we are psyched about it this year.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    you are going to have such a GREAT time in NYC.....at MSG......we ALL are!
    end of may is a beautiful time to be here. usually fairly gorgeous weather, but not too hot & humid.
    8-)

EXACTLY 7 weeks from today!
    7!
    weeks!
    wooohoooo!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Yes, plenty of cheap, good eats in NYC if you know where to look! Try checking out timeoutny.com, or pick up a copy of the mag when you get here.

Before canolis, head to Nyonya on Grand St between Mott & Mulberry. Next to Ferrara's!! Great Malaysian food. You can get a meal for under $10. It's not even dumpy anymore since they moved and got new furniture.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    you are going to have such a GREAT time in NYC.....at MSG......we ALL are!
    end of may is a beautiful time to be here. usually fairly gorgeous weather, but not too hot & humid.
    8-)

EXACTLY 7 weeks from today!
    7!
    weeks!
    wooohoooo!
    wooo hooo!!!
    GoiMTvP.gif
    I'm excited about eating some NYC food. I am a vegetarian living in a rural area of the Midsouth - not many good food options for me. We have BBQ places on every corner.
    Another great place to eat is Menchanko 55 on 55th between 5th and 6th. Had dinner there last night. UMMMMMM. The pork dumpling and the house special noodles- again- UMMM. And relatively cheap- less than $18 (sans tip) for a big bowl of noodles and the dumpling and a drink
  • the best thing about this thread is people mentioning numerous places that I've never been to and I live here..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    the best thing about this thread is people mentioning numerous places that I've never been to and I live here..
    I totally agree!

well- there are so many little hidey hole places in NYC- that you will never see them all.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    I'm excited about eating some NYC food. I am a vegetarian living in a rural area of the Midsouth - not many good food options for me. We have BBQ places on every corner.

Ooh, plenty of veggie options! You're not vegan are you? There's even a great vegan cupcake place! For starters, here are some good ones, where you can eat EVERYTHING on the menu:

Franchia: Korean tea house http://www.franchia.com/index.htm
    Madras Mahal (or most Indian places, for that matter): http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/madras-mahal/
    Vegetarian Dim Sum House: http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/ve ... sum-house/
    Babycakes (vegan bakery): http://babycakesnyc.com/