New York for Dummies...

Comments

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Suziemay wrote:
    Hey this is pretty nifty, it calculates cab fares for you: http://nyccabfare.com/

It says the fare + tip will be about $30 from Laguardia to the Wingate.

Does that include tolls and stuff? Also, I heard NY cabbies were horrible for overcharging tourists, which makes me a little nervous.

D-oh, you're right. I don't think it includes toll, just tips. I don't recall tolls from Laguardia being too hefty so at most you're looking at about $33 or so all inclusive. Tolls from JFK are about $5, I believe, but it's $45 flat from JFK.

I wouldn't know about the overcharging but if you're worried, read up on NYC fare rules here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passen ... rate.shtml

The only way they can overcharge is if they set the meter to charge you for driving out of the 5 boroughs of NYC (eg., to Westchester etc). I don't really know how to look out for that, really, but for instance, if you're taking a cab from Penn station to Saks Fifth Avenue and the meter says $20, you've been overcharged. To sound more like a "local", when you get a cab, say you're going to "34th between 5th & 6th", rather than give the cabbie the address. And tell them to stop at the "near corner" if you want to stop right by the traffic light at an intersection, or "far corner" if you want them to cross the intersection. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much. I've never been cheated by a cab driver. In fact, I quite like cab drivers, I just don't like paying for cabs LoL

Oh, and only take yellow cabs. Hope this helps.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    vduboise wrote:
    And if you are feeling for a cupcake and don't want to stand in line at Magnolia's- then you can go to the Buttercup Bake shop on 2nd ave between 51st and 52nd street. It was founded by one of the owners of Magnolia's (if I'm not mistaken). Great cupcakes and banana pudding. quote]

Most people you ask in NYC will tell you Buttercup is better than Magnolia. Yes, it was founded by one of a previous owner of Magnolia but apparently they had a falling out, etc.

Since the sweet stuff keeps coming up, I'm going to throw in my favourite chocolate store in NYC: L.A. Burdick on 22nd between Park and Broadway. Hmm, or maybe it's Broadway and 5th. They have a little cafe where you can get coffee, hot chocolate but I'd skip all that and just get the chocolates! I've never been a fan of US-made chocolates... until now. Yummmmm
  • norm wrote:
    so i'm landing at jfk and staying a couple blocks from msg...can i take the 'a' train straight in?

sorry, i'm a so cal car person...this whole train thing is confusing :oops: :lol:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

You can do one of two things. You can take the A train through Brooklyn, it usually makes express stops depending on what time of day. You can also take Air Train, which costs five dollars to the Jamaica station and transfer to any LIRR train to Penn Station. This will be 5.75 and the trip to Penn Station from Jamaica takes 20 minutes.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:
    so i'm landing at jfk and staying a couple blocks from msg...can i take the 'a' train straight in?

sorry, i'm a so cal car person...this whole train thing is confusing :oops: :lol:

You can do one of two things. You can take the A train through Brooklyn, it usually makes express stops depending on what time of day. You can also take Air Train, which costs five dollars to the Jamaica station and transfer to any LIRR train to Penn Station. This will be 5.75 and the trip to Penn Station from Jamaica takes 20 minutes.

thanks larry! reading the map is giving me a headache ;) :P but i think i'm figuring it out :lol:
  • norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

thanks larry! reading the map is giving me a headache ;) :P but i think i'm figuring it out :lol:

No problem. The A train is kind of disappointing if you like to look out the window because once you get into Brooklyn it's all underground.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    the timing of the airtraion monorail thing is sporatic..after transfer/wait,
    It would take the same amount of time, especially with a few bags of belongings ,
    to just jump the " A " Train, which , by the way , was NYCs very first subway line .
    It starts up in the Bronx at 207th Street / Dykman Street , goes thru Manhattan ( at all major stops inscluding Penn Station - Madison Square Garden )
    into brooklyn then Queens, terminating here in Rockaway Beach NYC .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    the timing of the airtraion monorail thing is sporatic..after transfer/wait,
    It would take the same amount of time, especially with a few bags of belongings ,
    to just jump the " A " Train, which , by the way , was NYCs very first subway line .
    It starts up in the Bronx at 207th Street / Dykman Street , goes thru Manhattan ( at all major stops inscluding Penn Station - Madison Square Garden )
    into brooklyn then Queens, terminating here in Rockaway Beach NYC .

you mean Inwood. It's on my Subway list of things to do, take the whole trip from the top of Manhattan to Rockaway Beach.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    norm wrote:

No problem. The A train is kind of disappointing if you like to look out the window because once you get into Brooklyn it's all underground.

too bad its the other direction.
    If you treavel te other direction, youll see some of the more spectacular and lesser looked at visions of NYC, including the marshes over Jamaica Bay and looking over JFK as you enter into the Rockaways.
    Its actually a pretty unqiue view , gliding directly over the rails and the water . On clear days you can see the fish in the water and also birds in the Sanctuary there .
    Its also over in about 6 minutes, until you're in over the Peninsula on the elevated trainway .
    platessmall.jpg
  • I have seen that view from the bus. It's an incredible view, especially on Broad Channel.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    I have seen that view from the bus. It's an incredible view, especially on Broad Channel.

Yes the view from the bus ( likely the Q 53 )
    comes from when you cruise over the North Channel Bridge into Broad Channel and from Crossbay Boulevard
    platessmall.jpg
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    I second the circle line tour. If you do it early on you can get a good look at the place from the water and you get a lot of idea's about where to go and what to do. It's especially good after a big night. You can sit back and relax, take in lots of water and get a guided tour of the place. In 2001 it was $20 for a 3 hour cruise.

I was staying in midtown and each day I'd take the subway to the edge of the island and walk back home i.e went downtown walked back, went uptown walked back and so on. Stopping at stuff I was interested in on the way.

Central park was cool, the people was very cool, canal street market were excellent for all your touristy souvenir needs. I highly recommend catching the subway to Brookyn hanging out there for a while and walking the Brooklyn Bridge back into town and a Yankee's game. Forgetting lots at the moment. I had such an awesome time. Drank gallons of beer at BB dolyes and McGee's bars. We always finished at one of them at the end of the night most nights

Have fun you lucky ducks!!!! :D
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

Honestly, either way is super easy and soooooo worth saving the money on cab fare.
    I carried a watermelon
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    norm wrote:

don't wander away from jamaica station ... you will lose your luggage :shock:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,351
    after the concert- if you want to grab a bite- 2 great pizza places that will certainly be open. i usually go to these spots for pizza since i dont like to get too full pre show-

joe's in the village for the more traditional new york slice. its on carmine and bleeker- and deliscious

and artichoke basil - they have a great sicilian and margherita and a a signature artichoke dip slice. the artichoke is good, but not what you want to load up on and its a big slice. ideally have them split one in half and split it w/ a friend so you try it and stick w/ the margh... and both places are open very later till like 3 am or later depending on the crowds..

for late night mexican- check out cabrito on carmine street (also near bleeker)- after 11 pm they have a late night happy hour that is great food at a good value- 3$ beers, 3$ awesome tacos ( do the fish and the al carbon), 5$ killer margaritas
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1 '21 Jersey Shore '22 MSG  '24: MSG1, MSG2
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,351
    also as said many times, walk around the city. its really not that far
    as a general rule numbered STREETS (not avenues) are 20 to the mile, so if youre figuring out on how much time it will take to walk, on the same avenue, from say 50th street, to 30th street- its about one mile so anywhere from 15-20 minutes depending how fast you walk. AVENUES are about 4 or 5 to a mile, so to walk from 10th ave to 5th ave will take about 20 minutes.

as for cabs- if you need to take one- and i wish they would hand out pamphlets on this- to tell if one is available to pick up fairs, just the MIDDLE NUMBERS AND LETTERS WILL BE ILLUMINATED. if all lights are lit up- including the off duty lights on the side- they are off duty- you can try flagging them and they will ask where you are going. if its semi on thier way home, they will take you. if all lights are off, they have a passenger so dont waste ur time and frustration trying to flag that one down. keep you eyes open for ones that just have the middle numbers illuminated. also look for ones that may be slowing down in faster traffic, it could be a final point for thier passenger, and if you see those numbers light up, you may want to give a sprint to it and wait for the passenger to get out (if its a super busy time)

but if you have the time WALK. and if you have a ton of time walk and stop and observe.. every 10-15 blocks neighborhoods change and you can see it and feel it if you look around. start downtown on a nice day and walk all the way up through times square, if you spend your time walking with your eyes open, you will see just why people tell you STAY AWAY FROM TIMES SQUARE.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1 '21 Jersey Shore '22 MSG  '24: MSG1, MSG2
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    A couple transportation questions for you New Yorkers. (We are country hicks from Southern Illinois).

It looks as if we will be flying into Laguardia. Should we take a cab to the Wingate? or
    I looked at the MTA website and it looks like we could take a bus to Line 7 to get to Midtown and then catch 1, 2, or 3 to get to the hotel. I imagine we can walk from a subway station to the hotel. Depending on how much luggage we have this might be a hassle.

I usually take this bus from/to laguardia,
    http://www.nyairportservice.com/
    last night it was discounted to only $5 into manhattan (grand central/penn station/port authority stops)

i wouldn't recommend the subway to/from jfk if you have luggage (stairs!)
    i have taken the airlink/lirr rail road from jamaica into penn station many times
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    mauichick wrote:
    A couple transportation questions for you New Yorkers. (We are country hicks from Southern Illinois).

It looks as if we will be flying into Laguardia. Should we take a cab to the Wingate? or
    I looked at the MTA website and it looks like we could take a bus to Line 7 to get to Midtown and then catch 1, 2, or 3 to get to the hotel. I imagine we can walk from a subway station to the hotel. Depending on how much luggage we have this might be a hassle.

I usually take this bus from/to laguardia,
    http://www.nyairportservice.com/
    last night it was discounted to only $5 into manhattan (grand central/penn station/port authority stops)

i wouldn't recommend the subway to/from jfk if you have luggage (stairs!)
    i have taken the airlink/lirr rail road from jamaica into penn station many times

I've taken that nyairportservice.com bus and I've taken the shuttle. What I've found, though, is it takes SOOOOOOOOOOO freaking long to get from the airport to the city that way (multiple stops and waiting around...once the driver even stopped at a convenience store, left us all in the shuttle, went and got a coffee and who know's what else, considering he was gone nearly half an hour...all without a word of explanation). Personally I'd rather just pay the cab fare because I'm so excited to get to the city. I believe it's a flat rate of $40? $45? from LGA and JFK to anywhere in Manhattan...and that includes the bridge/tunnel fare.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• It's a flat rate of 45 but with that you get such thrills like sitting in traffic on the Van Wyck or the Grand Central.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    It's a flat rate of 45 but with that you get such thrills like sitting in traffic on the Van Wyck or the Grand Central.

Which you get anyways, taking the shuttle or bus. Paying $20 more gets you to Manhattan at least an hour sooner.

• It's a flat rate of 45 but with that you get such thrills like sitting in traffic on the Van Wyck or the Grand Central.

Which you get anyways, taking the shuttle or bus. Paying $20 more gets you to Manhattan at least an hour sooner.

That is true. I just suppose I'm a public transportation person with little patience for sitting in traffic.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    It's a flat rate of 45 but with that you get such thrills like sitting in traffic on the Van Wyck or the Grand Central.

That is true. I just suppose I'm a public transportation person with little patience for sitting in traffic.

How do you recommend people get to Manhattan from LGA or JFK?

• If you don't mind taking mass transit there are a few ways. The one from JFK has already been mentioned. From Laguardia, a few buses will take you to the 74th Street-Jackson Heights stop where you can connect to the 7 train, E, F and R trains, which all go into midtown Manhattan.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    If you don't mind taking mass transit there are a few ways. The one from JFK has already been mentioned. From Laguardia, a few buses will take you to the 74th Street-Jackson Heights stop where you can connect to the 7 train, E, F and R trains, which all go into midtown Manhattan.

Yeah but that sucks when you are shlepping luggage with you.

• mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    to each their own but i've never had a prob like y're describing with the bus
    express bus always in and out without an issue and to me i'd rather save the $$ and spend it elsewhere
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
    mauichick wrote:
    to each their own but i've never had a prob like y're describing with the bus
    express bus always in and out without an issue and to me i'd rather save the $$ and spend it elsewhere
    You're lucky! :) And, like you said, to each their own.

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    the airport express buses to grand central are actually pretty good and much cheaper than a cab
    and you sit in the same traffic as the cabs do
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I've been following the discussion on buses/subway/cab from LaGuardia to Midtown. At first I thought cab, then train then back again, but some factors that I am now considering based on this discussion is

I get motion sickness. I seem to have more of a probem in cabs cuz most of them drive crazy - fast stops, fast starts, weaving in and out, etc.

However, I hate sitting in traffic. I have little patience, especially when I will be in a hurry to start vacation. I figured Subway is the quickest way? Am I right on that?

Based on my limited perusal of the MTA website it looks like there is one subway line that goes right to Midtown, but we may have to get on one of the other lines 1,2, or 3 to get to Penn Station? I will have to look at all of that again. And then I have to figure out how to get to the subway station from the airport - hopefully a short bus trip, or maybe even a short cab ride.

Also a factor is luggage. Trying to keep it to a minimum, and most of it will be on wheels but still a factor when buses and subways are involved.

Thanks again you all. I love getting on this thread daily to check out new information from you city folk.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I've been following the discussion on buses/subway/cab from LaGuardia to Midtown. At first I thought cab, then train then back again, but some factors that I am now considering based on this discussion is

I get motion sickness. I seem to have more of a probem in cabs cuz most of them drive crazy - fast stops, fast starts, weaving in and out, etc.

However, I hate sitting in traffic. I have little patience, especially when I will be in a hurry to start vacation. I figured Subway is the quickest way? Am I right on that?

Based on my limited perusal of the MTA website it looks like there is one subway line that goes right to Midtown, but we may have to get on one of the other lines 1,2, or 3 to get to Penn Station? I will have to look at all of that again. And then I have to figure out how to get to the subway station from the airport - hopefully a short bus trip, or maybe even a short cab ride.
    Also a factor is luggage. Trying to keep it to a minimum, and most of it will be on wheels but still a factor when buses and subways are involved.

Thanks again you all. I love getting on this thread daily to check out new information from you city folk.
    OK unless something has changed dramatically (I could be wrong but don't think so), I don't think there is direct access from LGA to the subway... You would have to take a cab to either the N line in Astoria or the E,F,R,W lines at Roosevelt Avenue... And getting to either of those stations in a pain going up and down the stairs, especially the N which is an Elevated line...

Take the bus directly to city if you can due to your motion sickness
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    oh everyone just spend the 45 and take a cab

easy on the luggage and no one will get lost

sit back and relax
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977

OK unless something has changed dramatically (I could be wrong but don't think so), I don't think there is direct access from LGA to the subway... You would have to take a cab to either the N line in Astoria or the E,F,R,W lines at Roosevelt Avenue... And getting to either of those stations in a pain going up and down the stairs, especially the N which is an Elevated line...

Take the bus directly to city if you can due to your motion sickness

agreed.
    too bad you're not flying into JFK...i hear great things about the airtrain.
    i use public transport all the time, but i will admit that when i am on vacation, to/from airport-hotel...i almost always take a cab. i personally find it worth the price - just get me there! - and i just want to get to my hotel as quick as possible, and not schlep my shit around. and, as i have never personally used any of these modes of transport while in NY - simply b/c family usually picks me up - i can't give a *real* recommendation from personal experience. i think it comes down to preference. would you usually use public transport, or just get a ride/car? do you want to save $$$ or time? i think those are the 2 biggest factors to consider.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow