New York for Dummies...

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    only cosmo kramer swims in the east river :mrgreen:

but both the east and hudson rivers have currents that will drown mike phelps in a few minutes so the answer is pretty much no

the only people in the water usually jump from a bridge or are dumped with cement shoes

i've kayaked the east river ... i wouldn't recommend swimming in it ...
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    polaris_x wrote:

but both the east and hudson rivers have currents that will drown mike phelps in a few minutes so the answer is pretty much no

the only people in the water usually jump from a bridge or are dumped with cement shoes

NEITHER WOULD I

back in the day my father used to swin in it ..but thats a long time ago :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    polaris_x wrote:

NEITHER WOULD I

back in the day my father used to swin in it ..but thats a long time ago :mrgreen:

Before or after you were born ?

That may explain a lot :lol: :wave:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

NEITHER WOULD I

Before or after you were born ?

That may explain a lot :lol: :wave:

do u mean my 4 eyes? :lol:

good one

b4 obviously
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168

That reminds me..... do people actually swim in any of the waters in NYC (open water - not pools)?

Don't do it! If you mean the Hudson or East River. Although if you want to be close to the water without being in it, check out this site for free kayaking: http://www.downtownboathouse.org/kayaking.html. Never done it before (I can't swim!!) but how bad can it be if it's free? I suspect there might be long waits for kayaks but I love that there's free stuff like this!

And in looking for that site, I found this one, not free, but they do Kayak tours! http://www.manhattankayak.com/mkc.php?screen=shorttours
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    kayaking would be fun. And the free program is really cool. I bet there are a lot of people that would never try it otherwise. I am going to add that to my list, but my list is growing really, really fast. My husband has already asked "will we have any time to relax?" I am bad about overscheduling and being on the go the entire time. My husband likes a more easygoing vacation. So I try to compromise........ occasionally.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    kayaking would be fun. And the free program is really cool. I bet there are a lot of people that would never try it otherwise. I am going to add that to my list, but my list is growing really, really fast. My husband has already asked "will we have any time to relax?" I am bad about overscheduling and being on the go the entire time. My husband likes a more easygoing vacation. So I try to compromise........ occasionally.

If its nice weather just go sit in Central Park and watch people - that's peaceful. There's also a nice tiny park on 51st between 2nd and 3rd, with a big waterfall/fountain, and chairs to sit in. People eat their lunch there or read.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    JaneNY wrote:

If its nice weather just go sit in Central Park and watch people - that's peaceful. There's also a nice tiny park on 51st between 2nd and 3rd, with a big waterfall/fountain, and chairs to sit in. People eat their lunch there or read.

My husband would like that. He is a people watcher.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • CG36691CG36691 Posts: 7
    Hi. Thanks for sharing the great ideas in this post.

I plan to check out the Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century Exhibit at MOMA.
    http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/968

Does anyone have suggestions for Saturday brunch on a cheap to moderate budget? Anywhere between the United Nations and Penn Station.

Thanks!
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    we do have beautiful beaches all along long island

coney island is abit dirty

bathgate lives in rockaway and he has nice atlantic ocean water

That reminds me..... do people actually swim in any of the waters in NYC (open water - not pools)?

The Beast sounds like fun, but we would probably get to see more on the big slow boat.

Rockaway Beach

Kramer drove the golfballs out into the ocean- and subsequently into the whales blowhole-
    George claimed to be a Marine Biologist and was called to the task,..
    all from my beach here
    at *Rockaway Beach.
    ( * The largest urban beach in the US of A )

Once an amusement fueled beachside community,.
    ( see Woody Allens " Radio Days " )
    filled with bungalows by the 100s of 1000s
    the place has evolved intensely mostly in the most recent years,
    but the boardwalk and oceanfront has remained steadfast
    ( alltho we got battered in most recent winter storm surges )
    its just a trainride away on the " A " line from the Garden .
    Between 45 minutes and an hour away from MSG / Penn Station .
    ( Transfer to the shuttle at Broad Channel )

Pop culture
    Rockaway Beach is the subject of the classic 1977 Ramones song "Rockaway Beach".
    Woody Allen's 1987 movie Radio Days was filmed on location in Rockaway Beach.[14]
    Lily's Crossing, a book by Patricia Reilly Giff, takes place in Rockaway Beach during World War II.[15]
    George Carlin has said that he was conceived at Curley's Hotel in Rockaway Beach.[16]
    Rockaway Beach, along with its neighboring communities, is the setting for much of the FX show Rescue Me.[17]
    referenced in the Dire Straits song Tunnel of Love.
    In the *Seinfeld Episode "The Marine Biologist", Kramer mentions to George & Jerry he hit a 600 Titleist golf balls on Rockaway Beach into the ocean.
    In 'The Nanny' episode "The Bird's Nest", Sylvia claims to Fran that Fran's uncle caught large mutant lobsters in Rockaway Beach, causing Fran to react and complain to her mother about how toxic the water is.
    Rockaway Beach was mentioned in the all-time classic book, Moby Dick, by Herman Melville.

This was also the Ramones stomping grounds when they were new and upcoming, playing now defunct bars and nightclubs.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Nobody has mentioned St. Patrick's Cathedral. Is it easily accessible? My husband and I love the architecture of cathedrals (we're not Catholic).
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Nobody has mentioned St. Patrick's Cathedral. Is it easily accessible? My husband and I love the architecture of cathedrals (we're not Catholic).

glad you clarified your religious denomination we were beginning to question...
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."

you can go in pretty much whenever you want
    o.k., o.k., didn't mean anything by the religious reference except to clarify that we are not that familiar with the various cathedrals around the country. And yes, I figured you could go in during the day anyway. At least that's how it was in other cathedrals we visited. I was just wondering if it is something that locals think is a destination worth seeing in New York City.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    CG36691 wrote:
    Hi. Thanks for sharing the great ideas in this post.

I plan to check out the Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century Exhibit at MOMA.
    http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/968

Does anyone have suggestions for Saturday brunch on a cheap to moderate budget? Anywhere between the United Nations and Penn Station.

Thanks!

i live here and haven't checked out the MoMA schedule in quite some time, so thanks! i am sooooooooo going to this! carier-bresson is a true fave of mine. ICP had an exhibiton for him a couple of years ago - fantastic! love his work. also sweet, work ID gets me free admission, and given it's $20 to get in...yay!

i have no brunch recommendations, but i do believe mauichick does, she might've even posted em in here? or maybe in the thread i linked to earlier about NYC restaurants? or....shoot her a PM. even tell her i said to do so. she's a sweetie and always has GREAT food recommendations for NYC.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Williamsburg Brooklyn NYC USA ?

wow
    this neighborhood was really not good the last time I was there
    glad to see it revitalized
    There along the east river looking over at the Big Empty Sky
    -this is an awesome perspecitive of the downtown NYC area.

http://www.1019rxp.com/hootenanny/index.aspx
    New York, NY (April 19th, 2010) – 101.9 RXP (WRXP) “The New York Rock Experience” has announced The 101.9 RXP Summer Concert Series, taking place at The Williamsburg Waterfront (North 8th Street & Kent Avenue at the East River State Park) throughout the summer!

More dates and artists participating in the 101.9 RXP Summer Concert Series will be announced at a later date. The announcement was made on The Rock Show with Matt Pinfield and Leslie Fram. "We couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate the warm weather and spend time with our listeners than hosting several rock shows at the beautiful Williamsburg Waterfront," said Program Director and The Rock Show co-host Leslie Fram. Pinfield added, “we’re bringing some of RXP’s biggest acts to Brooklyn all summer long and I couldn’t be more excited!"
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,241
    similar story with parts of long island city. I was on a boat cruise last night in the East River and was amazed how nice the waterfront looks there.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    Stay out of the Hustler club!
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    beware of man hole covers
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    I found a great place for coffee/dessert/brunch/break after shopping in Soho. Village Tart, opened by pastry chef Pichet Ong. Check it out if you're in the area:

http://villagetart.com/about.html
    We are leaving for St. Louis this afternoon. Will fly out of stl tomorrow morning for NYC! Can't wait!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have a big list of your suggestions. We won't have time to do all of them but will hopefully get through part of them.

I am disappointed because we wanted to go up in the crown of the Statue of Liberty, but they are sold out until August. It looks like we won't even be able to go in the museums. The only tickets are the grounds. I am going to call when we get there to see if maybe they have a waiting list for no shows or something.

I hope to meet you guys at the pre-parties. We will be at Newark and both MSG's, although probably won't have much time at the Newark pre-party due to time restraints. Look for the big tall bald guy and fairly tall blonde woman - both middle age.
    thurs and friday 80 and sunny

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/b ... nday/10017
    as of right now, still looks like 30% chance of rain on thursday, but low 80s both days. friday looks to be gorgeous - totally cool - since we took friday off! 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

as of right now, still looks like 30% chance of rain on thursday, but low 80s both days. friday looks to be gorgeous - totally cool - since we took friday off! 8-)

yeaaa off day

tommorrow rain all day but i didn't see any rain thursday

me thinks you looking on a crappy site :mrgreen:

oh weather channel ... local weather channels have no rain ...but whatever

i just don't wanna here norm complain about theweather :lol:

yeaaa off day

tommorrow rain all day but i didn't see any rain thursday

me thinks you looking on a crappy site :mrgreen:

oh weather channel ... local weather channels have no rain ...but whatever

i just don't wanna here norm complain about theweather :lol:

i figure if i give norm the bad predictions, then when the weather is gorgeous he'll be even happier. ;)

:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i figure if i give norm the bad predictions, then when the weather is gorgeous he'll be even happier. ;)

i'm holding you now personally responsible if the weather isn't perfect :twisted: :mrgreen:
    norm wrote:

i'm holding you now personally responsible if the weather isn't perfect :twisted: :mrgreen:

i thought you already were? ;)
    i already worked my magic to improve the forecast exponentially for friday, so just wait...thursday and saturday will get beautiful too.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:

i thought you already were? ;)
    i already worked my magic to improve the forecast exponentially for friday, so just wait...thursday and saturday will get beautiful too.

worst part is i've been so busy the past week or so that i really haven't figured out what i'm gonna do :?

looks like i'm just gonna wing it :shock: :lol::lol:
    norm wrote:

worst part is i've been so busy the past week or so that i really haven't figured out what i'm gonna do :?

looks like i'm just gonna wing it :shock: :lol::lol:

well i thought you had a rough framework of what you wanted to see/do, and what days to accomplish? a rough guesstimate is plenty.

besides, winging it is usually more fun and spontaneous!
    let's hope for no rain for our lunch date!
    (and sure, the rest of your trip :))
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• I know NYC isn't nearly as dangerous as its reputation, but it's still a large city and I'm slightly concerned about public transportation at night. Would you consider it safe to ride the PATH from 33rd St. to Pavonia after the concert? I'm going to the hotel right after the concert on Thursday (alone), but on Friday, I'll be with my friend and we'll likely be out later post-partying.