New York for Dummies...

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I travel often through all the major airports, and these are you options:

The airtrain from JFK is great if you only have a backpack or a small roller bag-I suggest taking the LIRR from Jamaica to penn rather than the subway-its in the same station and its really easy-there is no airtrain for Lagaurdia. It really is the fastest way into manhattan during the day when traffic is heavy.

The express buses from all the airports to grand central are fairly good and just as fast as a cab-the best option if you want to save money IMHO.

Yellow cabs are fine, but sometimes the lines to get a cab can be annoying

If you want to spend the cash (or can split it two or three ways), call a car service (like carmel), for about $100, they will meet you at baggage claim, carry your bags and deliver you where you need to go. I think they charge about $60 to meet you outside at a set time-thus avoiding the cab lines. Your hotel concierge should be able to suggest a car service. Look for an online coupon-you might find a deal that is as cheap as a regular cab.

As far as I know, you cannot take the subway to or from any airport without transferring to another mass transit system-and I would not suggest this route.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Walked by the Wingate today, it looks kinda nice! Some other suggestions:

For coffee lovers, there are two really good coffee places within walking distance
    Stumptown coffee: 29th st between 5th & Broadway in the Ace Hotel
    http://www.stumptowncoffee.com/locations/nyc-ace

Culture espresso: 38th st between 5th & 6th
    http://cultureespresso.com/

For late night dining, K-town (32nd street between 5th & 6th) has a ton of Korean restaurants that stay open late

And on the transportation, how could I forget about the express bus? Totally second the suggestion to take the express bus from JFK. From Laguardia, just take a cab.

:mrgreen:
  • Suziemay wrote:
    And on the transportation, how could I forget about the express bus? Totally second the suggestion to take the express bus from JFK. From Laguardia, just take a cab.

What about Newark? My friend was in NYC a few years ago and vaguely recalls taking a train to Penn Station, but can't recall exactly what she did. Thanks. :)
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Suziemay wrote:

What about Newark? My friend was in NYC a few years ago and vaguely recalls taking a train to Penn Station, but can't recall exactly what she did. Thanks. :)
    There is an Airtran that goes from all the terminals at Newark to a NJ Transit station by the airport. You can take a train (make sure you ask if is direct or you need to transfer at Newark) right into Penn Station in New York. Just know that the next station after the airport is called Newark/Penn Station. Not the Penn Station you want (but might be where the transfer to the NYC one is)
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Suziemay wrote:

There is an Airtran that goes from all the terminals at Newark to a NJ Transit station by the airport. You can take a train (make sure you ask if is direct or you need to transfer at Newark) right into Penn Station in New York. Just know that the next station after the airport is called Newark/Penn Station. Not the Penn Station you want (but might be where the transfer to the NYC one is)

this is confusion waiting to happen :mrgreen:

im here 35 years and i still get confused with this stop
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

this is confusion waiting to happen :mrgreen:

im here 35 years and i still get confused with this stop

Yeah I know... I should give out a phone number with a message... If the station is not underground you are at the wrong Penn Station... :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    oh everyone just spend the 45 and take a cab

easy on the luggage and no one will get lost

sit back and relax

yeah this is the option i'm going for...i'll be in no mood to figure out trains and shit
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    norm wrote:

sit back and relax

yeah this is the option i'm going for...i'll be in no mood to figure out trains and shit
    Oh I'll be your subway buddy! I know all the best ways to get places! :mrgreen:
    cdp1223 wrote:
    norm wrote:

sit back and relax

somehow, i imagine concrete, chains and the east river would be in my future ;) :P
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Suziemay wrote:

You are better off taking the bus from newark- it drops you off by the port authority, and various other stops on 42nd
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I dunno if this has been mentioned but Cirque du Soleil will be in Randall Island till June 6th and their current touring show OVO is pretty good - saw it last summer. They are offering great deals right now for Cirque members. I just bought 4 tickets for $105 total including taxes and my e-ticket fee.
    norm wrote:

sit back and relax

100% because 1 wrong move and you'll be twice as far away

plus the cabs cant rob you because its the flat $45 fare
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    norm wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:
    norm wrote:

somehow, i imagine concrete, chains and the east river would be in my future ;) :P

imlooking at the east river at the moment ...you don't want any part of that :mrgreen:

plus their are too many bodies there already ..you need to take a number :o:mrgreen:

plus i'm not landing till 8 and i'm not ready to check out the bronx in the middle of the night ;)
    norm wrote:

plus i'm not landing till 8 and i'm not ready to check out the bronx in the middle of the night ;)

oh shit do yourself a favor take a cab

unless you wanna hear" look at the little white socal kid " " gimme your money " :mrgreen: i kid i kid
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813

Which you get anyways, taking the shuttle or bus. Paying $20 more gets you to Manhattan at least an hour sooner.

That is true. I just suppose I'm a public transportation person with little patience for sitting in traffic.

How do you recommend people get to Manhattan from LGA or JFK?

The Uptown " A " train out of JFK is the most economical and fastest way to Pennsylavania Station , hands down .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Suziemay wrote:

I've taken a cab, a bus and the AirTrain from Newark, and I go back and forth as to whether I prefer the bus or the train. The bus is $25 round trip, or $15 one-way. If you're not in a terrible hurry I think the bus is the most straightforward way, however I don't think there's a Penn station stop so you'd have to get out at Port Authority (42nd and 8th, about 10 blocks from Penn Station) then take a cab or walk. You can get tickets online or buy onboard: http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

The AirTrain is a bit confusing but it does get you into Penn station. It also bypasses traffic which is always cool. When you get out of the airport, follow the signs for AirTrain (or NJ Transit) and buy your ticket from one of the NJ Transit machines. As many of indicated, there's New York Penn Station which is what you want, not Newark Penn Station. I think tickets are $5.50. You'll take the AirTrain to the Newark Liberty Airport station, and then wait for the Manhattan bound NJ Transit that will tkae you to Penn station. It's actually not too complicated if you know the stops you want, however I remember having to drag my large suitcase up and down the steps at some point so it was quite tiresome. And one time the train was "under repairs" so I waited way too long for it to come. Check this out: http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet. ... nectionsTo

Lastly, there are always taxis. I think there's a $50 flat rate from Newark, but I can't recall. It's about the same or slightly more pricey than JFK.

Also for JFK, it's a $45 flat rate plus $5 toll so I think it works out to $50 then add tip to it.

Hope this helps!!
  • There is an Airtran that goes from all the terminals at Newark to a NJ Transit station by the airport. You can take a train (make sure you ask if is direct or you need to transfer at Newark) right into Penn Station in New York. Just know that the next station after the airport is called Newark/Penn Station. Not the Penn Station you want (but might be where the transfer to the NYC one is)
    Thanks!
    Yeah I know... I should give out a phone number with a message... If the station is not underground you are at the wrong Penn Station... :lol:

Noted. Do not disembark if I am above ground. :)
    Suziemay wrote:
    I've taken a cab, a bus and the AirTrain from Newark, and I go back and forth as to whether I prefer the bus or the train. The bus is $25 round trip, or $15 one-way. If you're not in a terrible hurry I think the bus is the most straightforward way, however I don't think there's a Penn station stop so you'd have to get out at Port Authority (42nd and 8th, about 10 blocks from Penn Station) then take a cab or walk. You can get tickets online or buy onboard: http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

The AirTrain is a bit confusing but it does get you into Penn station. It also bypasses traffic which is always cool. When you get out of the airport, follow the signs for AirTrain (or NJ Transit) and buy your ticket from one of the NJ Transit machines. As many of indicated, there's New York Penn Station which is what you want, not Newark Penn Station. I think tickets are $5.50. You'll take the AirTrain to the Newark Liberty Airport station, and then wait for the Manhattan bound NJ Transit that will tkae you to Penn station. It's actually not too complicated if you know the stops you want, however I remember having to drag my large suitcase up and down the steps at some point so it was quite tiresome. And one time the train was "under repairs" so I waited way too long for it to come. Check this out: http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet. ... nectionsTo

Hope this helps!!

Perfect, thanks! I'm comfortable with public transportation, so it's all good. NYC is expensive. I need to save money when I can. :)
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969

sit back and relax
    +1 ESPECIALLY if there is more than one traveler.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    norm wrote:

sit back and relax

EXACTLY!!! Especially for those of you whose first trip to NYC this is (that sounds weird, is that proper grammar?)....save yourself the hassle and just get a freaking cab. I've never waited more than a minute or two and as I pointed out previously, it will get you to the city at least an hour faster than a bus or shuttle service.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 664
    Without perusing all the pages here on this thread is landing at Newark a reasonable option. What sort of time allowance should you give to get to midtown. Never been to NYC or even close for that matter.
  • pineapplesandwaves.pineapplesandwaves. Posts: 1,808
    edited March 2010
    DJ253147 wrote:
    Without perusing all the pages here on this thread is landing at Newark a reasonable option. What sort of time allowance should you give to get to midtown. Never been to NYC or even close for that matter.

Suzie's answer helped me on how to get from Newark Airport to Penn Station (I quoted her below). I looked it up and the train takes about 30 min and costs $15. I assume cab/bus would take longer, depending on the time of day you arrive.
    Suziemay wrote:

:arrow: I've taken a cab, a bus and the AirTrain from Newark, and I go back and forth as to whether I prefer the bus or the train. The bus is $25 round trip, or $15 one-way. If you're not in a terrible hurry I think the bus is the most straightforward way, however I don't think there's a Penn station stop so you'd have to get out at Port Authority (42nd and 8th, about 10 blocks from Penn Station) then take a cab or walk. You can get tickets online or buy onboard: http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Lastly, there are always taxis. I think there's a $50 flat rate from Newark, but I can't recall. It's about the same or slightly more pricey than JFK.

Hope this helps!!
    Post edited by pineapplesandwaves. on
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    DJ253147 wrote:

yes, newark is pretty close but as with lga and jfk timing is subject to traffic/train schedule
    if you scroll up suzie/black diamond posted really good train directions
    (airtran/nj transit into ny penn station which is attached to msg) or airtran/path train to 32nd str (1 block from msg)
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    DJ253147 wrote:

Suzie's answer helped me (how to get from Newark Airport to Penn Station):
    Suziemay wrote:

:arrow: I've taken a cab, a bus and the AirTrain from Newark, and I go back and forth as to whether I prefer the bus or the train. The bus is $25 round trip, or $15 one-way. If you're not in a terrible hurry I think the bus is the most straightforward way, however I don't think there's a Penn station stop so you'd have to get out at Port Authority (42nd and 8th, about 10 blocks from Penn Station) then take a cab or walk. You can get tickets online or buy onboard: http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Hope this helps!!

When I looked it up, the train takes about 30 min and costs $15. I assume cab/bus would take longer, depending on the time of day you arrive.

30 mins is from newark airport nj trainstop into ny penn station and doesnt account for airtran from airport which can creep along
    coming from nyc back, def add time to get tickets (lines can be long in peak times)
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Heading to NYC next month. I give this thread 2 thumbs up!
    NERDS!
  • Heading to NYC next month. I give this thread 2 thumbs up!

If you're staying in Hoboken, make sure you visit the first ever Blimpies...
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Heading to NYC next month. I give this thread 2 thumbs up!

If you're staying in Hoboken, make sure you visit the first ever Blimpies...
    Hahaha, I've been there...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Is there anywhere in NYC that we should NOT go into?
    Save room for dessert!
    Heatherj43 wrote:

any set of buldings that say projects on them
  • Heatherj43 wrote:

I'm hearing you should stay away from McDowell's

Coming-to-America-em18.jpg