New York for Dummies...

14567810»

Comments

• mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    I know NYC isn't nearly as dangerous as its reputation, but it's still a large city and I'm slightly concerned about public transportation at night. Would you consider it safe to ride the PATH from 33rd St. to Pavonia after the concert? I'm going to the hotel right after the concert on Thursday (alone), but on Friday, I'll be with my friend and we'll likely be out later post-partying.

I take public trans at all hours but try to be smart about it
    I have friends who only take cabs at night, to me a waste of $
    I'll also be on the path post show (as will a ton of others..yr fine, yr hotel is rt across from the station and pavonia area is not sketchy at all)
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • mauichick wrote:
    I know NYC isn't nearly as dangerous as its reputation, but it's still a large city and I'm slightly concerned about public transportation at night. Would you consider it safe to ride the PATH from 33rd St. to Pavonia after the concert? I'm going to the hotel right after the concert on Thursday (alone), but on Friday, I'll be with my friend and we'll likely be out later post-partying.

I take public trans at all hours but try to be smart about it
    I have friends who only take cabs at night, to me a waste of $
    I'll also be on the path post show (as will a ton of others..yr fine, yr hotel is rt across from the station and pavonia area is not sketchy at all)

Thank you!

I also find cabs a waste of money and try to take public trans as much as possible.
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    if anyones game to meetup, a bunch of us will be heading to shake shack round 2pm tomorrow

welcome to new york, hope everyone has a great time
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

Riding on the PATH would be perfectly safe (we've done that several times) - the train is usually still pretty full at that hour - if you're going after 11 (which you will) your train will be the blue/yellow routes combined and you'll go to Hoboken before Pavonia. The *slightly* creepier part is the walk from the train to your hotel (we've stayed at Candlewood suites, which is about a 1/2 mile or so from the PATH station), but its not a sketchy area - the only reason I was a bit creeped out was walking around at night in a somewhat deserted area, but its not sketchy. If you're hotel is closer, like the Doubletree or Marriott, you won't have as much of a walk.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Some Dominican in a mini van gave me a ride into the city... I'm still alive so I guess that's a good thing

:D
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    norm wrote:
    Some Dominican in a mini van gave me a ride into the city... I'm still alive so I guess that's a good thing

Does he have a virgin mary in a half buried bathtub in the front lawn like you do?
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    norm wrote:

Does he have a virgin mary in a half buried bathtub in the front lawn like you do?

:mrgreen:
    i love this place.
    and i love NYC.
    i even love my long island tho many don't... :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    norm wrote:

:mrgreen:
    i love this place.
    and i love NYC.
    i even love my long island tho many don't... :D

It is a fun place!
  • EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    I'm heading to NY with 4 friends/family in October for the first time and I can't say enough how appreciative I am of this thread. Lots of effort, thought, and kind responses here!! Thanks heaps! :D
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I would also like to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. We had a blast in NYC and at the shows. We met a lot of fun, nice people from New York, and saw a lot of cool stuff thanks to you guys. We hope to visit again one of these days as there is never enough time in one trip.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i pretty much was the definition of 'new york dummy' last week...talk about sensory overload! :shock: :lol:

but i had a lot of fun...i wish i had more time to explore more...but the circle line around the island was a great way to see stuff on a short time frame :D
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,241
    if you have time to go the bronx, visit the botanical garden.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?ai ... 449&ref=mf
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    coming in October?
    i know its early in the season but
    Gotta try to hit up the Garden and catch a Ranger game,..
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    coming in October?
    i know its early in the season but
    Gotta try to hit up the Garden and catch a Ranger game,..

Sweet. I was checking out a few things and was really hoping to catch some type of sporting event. I don't think the schedule is out for next season? so I hadn't noticed they would be playing then. That's got me super pumped up now. Hopefully the timing works out. I'll be in NY around Halloween, a few days before and a few after. I'll be sure to chase that up. Thanks a lot!
    I cannot belive they served Grimaldis with an eviction notice .

:o
    platessmall.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    Bathgate66 wrote:

thats what happens when you dont pay your rent
    Get_Right wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

theyve been serving pizzas fo9r a long time, most times getting on zagats list .
    youd think theyd have enough for the rent,...
    platessmall.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

theyve been serving pizzas fo9r a long time, most times getting on zagats list .
    youd think theyd have enough for the rent,...
    exactly-people line up for those pies
    from what I can tell, the rent is about 6k a month and they consistently pay late-they owed almost 60K in rent/fees
    thats ridiculous for a business that probably does 20k a day
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    is this the joint under the brooklyn bridge? ... there's always a cussin' lineup at that place ....
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    polaris_x wrote:
    is this the joint under the brooklyn bridge? ... there's always a cussin' lineup at that place ....

yes it is...i think its a tad overrated
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    yes it is...i think its a tad overrated

i like a good pizza like the next guy ... but i'm not waiting 2 hrs for something i can get on pretty much any street corner in the city ...
    overrated or not, we know they make hand over fist in money everyday

what didnt these people pay their rent ?
    platessmall.jpg
  • Wave Hill in the Bronx near Riverdale. Stunning views of the Hudson, Palisades, especially on a summer day like today.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."