New York for Dummies...

Comments

• riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    Ugh... anytime someone suggests the Magnolia Bakery I want to hit them. I don't know one person who is actually from NY who has been there in like, 5 years. At least.
    If you're into cupcakes, try the Cupcake Cafe @ 9th avenue & 40th st. Awesome cupcakes for the $ (which is to say, less than Magnolia) and you don't have to wait 45 stupid minutes in line.

If you're looking for someplace fun & unique before the show (that is not likely to be way crowded with the bridge & tunnel crew) the Trailer Park Lounge on 23rd & 8th is totally worth checking out. Awesome frozen margaritas- careful of these though, my cousins & I call them "blackout margaritas", or PBR in the tall cans if that's your thing, and tater tots or mac & cheese on the menu. The decor alone is enough for a visit.

That's all.
    Try to steer clear of anyone who might suggest checking out the giant graveyard/ hole in the ground known as Ground Zero. Not fun.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • nickdarpsnickdarps Posts: 47
    anyone know a good club/lounge to hit on the saturday in manhattan. doesnt have to be rock......thx
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Hey this is pretty nifty, it calculates cab fares for you: http://nyccabfare.com/

It says the fare + tip will be about $30 from Laguardia to the Wingate.

This thread is reminding me why I love this city so much!!
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    A couple transportation questions for you New Yorkers. (We are country hicks from Southern Illinois).

It looks as if we will be flying into Laguardia. Should we take a cab to the Wingate? or
    I looked at the MTA website and it looks like we could take a bus to Line 7 to get to Midtown and then catch 1, 2, or 3 to get to the hotel. I imagine we can walk from a subway station to the hotel. Depending on how much luggage we have this might be a hassle..

Don't get on a bus. Too big a pain in the ass. When I fly into LaGuardia, I always take a cab into the city. It's fairly quick, and won't be extravangant.

Take the subway everywhere else.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    A couple transportation questions for you New Yorkers. (We are country hicks from Southern Illinois).

It looks as if we will be flying into Laguardia. Should we take a cab to the Wingate? or
    I looked at the MTA website and it looks like we could take a bus to Line 7 to get to Midtown and then catch 1, 2, or 3 to get to the hotel. I imagine we can walk from a subway station to the hotel. Depending on how much luggage we have this might be a hassle..

Don't get on a bus. Too big a pain in the ass. When I fly into LaGuardia, I always take a cab into the city. It's fairly quick, and won't be extravangant.

+1, you'll lose half the day...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    nickdarps wrote:
    anyone know a good club/lounge to hit on the saturday in manhattan. doesnt have to be rock......thx

I'm a big fan of restaurants that turn into clubs, because you don't have to deal with velvet rope. If you're going to be staying in the MSG area, I had a birthday party at Pranna on Madison Avenue and 28th St. The food's pretty good (if a bit overpriced) it's a really nice space and around 10 or 11 it turns into a club. The music was mostly hip hop (Rihanna, Kanye etc..). If you get there around 9:30 to get a few drinks and apps, you'll be in before the crowd makes it there to carve out a space.

Try googling Pranna NYC to see what people say about it, don't just take my word :D

http://prannarestaurant.com/late-night-lounge
  • nickdarpsnickdarps Posts: 47
    Suziemay wrote:
    nickdarps wrote:

I'm a big fan of restaurants that turn into clubs, because you don't have to deal with velvet rope. If you're going to be staying in the MSG area, I had a birthday party at Pranna on Madison Avenue and 28th St. The food's pretty good (if a bit overpriced) it's a really nice space and around 10 or 11 it turns into a club. The music was mostly hip hop (Rihanna, Kanye etc..). If you get there around 9:30 to get a few drinks and apps, you'll be in before the crowd makes it there to carve out a space.

Try googling Pranna NYC to see what people say about it, don't just take my word :D

http://prannarestaurant.com/late-night-lounge

thanks!
  • Suziemay wrote:
    Hey this is pretty nifty, it calculates cab fares for you: http://nyccabfare.com/

It says the fare + tip will be about $30 from Laguardia to the Wingate.

Does that include tolls and stuff? Also, I heard NY cabbies were horrible for overcharging tourists, which makes me a little nervous.
    metsfan wrote:
    I've been told by many to stay away from Times Square, but I can't go to NYC for the first time and not check it out.

I imagine it'd be better to check out Central Park on a weekday rather than a weekend, eh?

Some great advice in here! Thanks.
    do a walk by of times square at night. Central park in may is cool and strawberry fields is right in central park also. That's cool if you like lennon and the beatles.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check out Strawberry Fields.
  • if it's a nice day, take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Also if you happen to be in the East Village, there's a really good place called "Nolita House". And if you feel like venturing to Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Brewery is very relaxing and the beer is good.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    if it's a nice day, take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Also if you happen to be in the East Village, there's a really good place called "Nolita House". And if you feel like venturing to Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Brewery is very relaxing and the beer is good.

oh yes - the bridge!

also, idk how i left this out! :shock:

the guggenheim! spectacular too - and easy to get thru. take the elevator to the top, be awed by frank lloyd wright's architecture....and then just spiral down looking at all the art. bliss!

really should not be missed.
    also, thought it mentioned it earlier, but guess it was another NYC thread, i second, or third, the MoMA suggestion. if you at ALL love modern art, tis THE place! also, their photography collection is drool-worthy.

i may be biased ;)....but NYC rocks. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• if it's a nice day, take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Also if you happen to be in the East Village, there's a really good place called "Nolita House". And if you feel like venturing to Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Brewery is very relaxing and the beer is good.

oh yes - the bridge!

the guggenheim! spectacular too - and easy to get thru. take the elevator to the top, be awed by frank lloyd wright's architecture....and then just spiral down looking at all the art. bliss!

also, thought it mentioned it earlier, but guess it was another NYC thread, i second, or third, the MoMA suggestion. if you at ALL love modern art, tis THE place! also, their photography collection is drool-worthy.

also if you like art and don't mind a trip to the tip of upper manhattan, the cloisters are very nice.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    If you are into beer, The Gingerman is a great spot pretty close to the Garden. 36th between 5th and Madison.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    THE METS !!!!!!!!!! :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    if it's a nice day, take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Also if you happen to be in the East Village, there's a really good place called "Nolita House". And if you feel like venturing to Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Brewery is very relaxing and the beer is good.

oh yes - the bridge!

also if you like art and don't mind a trip to the tip of upper manhattan, the cloisters are very nice.

omg...the cloisters!
    FANTASTIC!
    tho i will say, if one has never been to NYC before and/or has limited time....might be best to save for another visit. one should always come back. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

it depends on when you land ... i used to fly in for work and it would take over an hour to get to midtown ... last time i flew in and my gf couldn't pick me up ... i took a cab to roosevelt station (boy was the cabbie pissed) and took the train into her school ... $10 cab ride to the metro station and then $2.50 for your subway ride ...
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    for some craziness that you won't be able to experience anywhere else:

you can make a night out of going to sammy's steak house on the lower east side. old timey jewish food and roumanian steaks. the food is good enough, but its definitely a unique, fun experience. order a bottle of vodka, listen to the kitschy keyboard player, make some new friends. the staff will make you feel involved, you'll have a blast.

also, if you're feeling adventurous..go to brighton beach for a night and eat at one of the russian restaurants ont he boardwalk. the food is ok, but you'll get pissfaced and dance and experience an interesting atmosphere that you really won't find anywhere else.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status

you can make a night out of going to sammy's steak house on the lower east side. old timey jewish food and roumanian steaks. the food is good enough, but its definitely a unique, fun experience. order a bottle of vodka, listen to the kitschy keyboard player, make some new friends. the staff will make you feel involved, you'll have a blast.

also, if you're feeling adventurous..go to brighton beach for a night and eat at one of the russian restaurants ont he boardwalk. the food is ok, but you'll get pissfaced and dance and experience an interesting atmosphere that you really won't find anywhere else.
    Now you're talking!!
    To heck with the out of towners, I'm going :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    Hurricane wrote:
    Get Right is the man!!!
    well hello stranger :lol::lol:

sammys is fun
    but bring your lipitor :lol:

for beers near the garden-pass on gingerman and stout and go to rattle and hum instead
    a block from the empire state building and close to the garden-thats where I will probably be :mrgreen:
  • HurricaneHurricane Posts: 37
    ... or you will be enjoying a nice Blood Orange Margarita at Blue Smoke!!!
    Im not responsible for my behavior after a couple of those bad boys ;)
    The only question is whether we will be hitting Blue Smoke for MSG 1 or 2. Probably 2 just before the epic show to end the US Leg of the Tour. Love it when I transition a couple of Blood Oranges right into Release like in '08.
    Hurricane wrote:
    The only question is whether we will be hitting Blue Smoke for MSG 1 or 2. Probably 2 just before the epic show to end the US Leg of the Tour. Love it when I transition a couple of Blood Oranges right into Release like in '08.
    To go cup...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Hurricane wrote:

the are damn good thats for sure
    but now the whole pit crew will be there
    thanks a lot hurricane :evil: :twisted: ;):lol:
    Get_Right wrote:
    Hurricane wrote:

the are damn good thats for sure
    but now the whole pit crew will be there
    thanks a lot hurricane :evil: :twisted: ;):lol:

No worries. The whole crew will be at one of the overpriced and overcrowded bars on 7th Avenue that you pointed them to earlier. Nice work!! :lol::lol:
    Hurricane wrote:
    No worries. The whole crew will be at one of the overpriced and overcrowded bars on 7th Avenue that you pointed them to earlier. Nice work!! :lol::lol:
    oh snap!
    :lol::lol:
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    so i'm landing at jfk and staying a couple blocks from msg...can i take the 'a' train straight in?

sorry, i'm a so cal car person...this whole train thing is confusing :oops: :lol:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm
  • chloe10chloe10 Posts: 46
    Lots of good suggestions here. Subway/walking is the way to go. Go to mta.info for subway maps looks confusing but very simple. Walking around west village is great to just wander always find something new interesting over there. Highline is a nice walk too. Shake shack in Madison square park 23rd/Madison ave but be prepared to wait on line!!! East village has good laid back restaurants and bars. Artichoke on 14th bet 1 & 2 ave for pizza. Also check out bigonion.com for walking tours around different parts of the city or just for ideas of where to go on your own.
    4/17/1994 Paramount Theatre NYC, 9/28/1996 Randall's Island NYC, 6/14/1998 Tibetan Freedom Concert Washington DC, 8/23/2000 Jones Beach NY, 4/29/2003 Albany NY, 7/9/2003 MSG, 5/12/2006 Albany NY, 6/1/2006 Continental Airlines Arena NJ, 6/3/2006 Continental Airlines Arena NJ, 6/24/2008 MSG, 6/25/2008 MSG, 10/30/2009 Philadelphia PA, 10/31/2009 Philadelphia PA, 5/18/2010 Newark NJ, 5/20/2010 MSG, 5/21/2010 MSG
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    norm wrote:
    so i'm landing at jfk and staying a couple blocks from msg...can i take the 'a' train straight in?

sorry, i'm a so cal car person...this whole train thing is confusing :oops: :lol:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

no, you need to take the airtrain to the subway. Get off the airtrain at Howard beach and then you can take the A to 34th street ( or whichever stop is closest to where you are staying)
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    And if you are feeling for a cupcake and don't want to stand in line at Magnolia's- then you can go to the Buttercup Bake shop on 2nd ave between 51st and 52nd street. It was founded by one of the owners of Magnolia's (if I'm not mistaken). Great cupcakes and banana pudding.

For burgers- there is 5 napkin burger on 9th between 44th and 45th. Shake Shack is good (but I used to work for the Group-and can't eat another one)

If you want to get out of the city- you can go to City Island. Its a bit touristy- but great vibes and the seafood is not to bad.

Just remember to have fun, and you will definitely not see everything on just one trip, so don't rush it. I would suggest just sticking to 4-5 things you want to really see and take your time.