New York for Dummies...

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    depends on how far you are going and the time of day
    subway is usually the best way to get around unless its late night or there are no subway stations near where you want to go.

that and there was just a huge scandal involving taxis overcharging customers-cab it only if you must-plus you can never get one when you need it :mrgreen:
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    melva02 wrote:
    Th
    If you feel like walking down a few blocks to the Lower East Side (south of Houston St), check out the pickle places. Pickle Guys is on Essex Street. There used to be others but I'm not sure what's still open.

oh my god i'm totally going there.^^^^

To continue with NJ theme, if you find yourself in jersey city (get off Path train at Journal Square), Little India is a kind of cool place, and there's a place called Dosa Hut that is CHEAP and GOOD. (Thali with 3 veg, paratha, pickle, sweet,is like $6.00)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    there's a really great burger joint that's world famous a block down from the garden. i think it's called "white castle" or something...i really suggest checking it out if you're not familiar with the city.

:D
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• HurricaneHurricane Posts: 37
    Get Right is the man!!!
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Honestly, NYC is just an awesome walking around city. Take the subway (almost) anywere ... get off and walk around ... you're bound to run into some cool shit.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Come on guys, you want pizza go to pizza sumprema right across the street from the garden. Look to the left of the post office. I swear it's the best. Everytime friends come from Cali to visit, it's the first place I have to take them to. Trust me on this. I went there for 3 years straight when I had rangers season tix and now I go there anytime I'm in the city....Oh and say hi to Joe, he's a real cool owner...
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    69 bayard

general tso's chicken
    fried dumplings
    and an order of roast pork

nuff said

it blows wo-hop away
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    get an egg cream at GEM SPA

st marks and 2nd ave

and right next door is sick burger joint .. pauls
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    oh and stay away from times square
    go see JERSEY BOYS great freaking time

you can get cheap tickets at TKTS

one location down by the seaport and another in times square
  • This thread makes me hungry. Thanks to everyone for all of the great info...can't wait to take it all in.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    take a walk i n the west village, hit up some real record stores. then stroll east to little italy and chinatown. if you want pizza, try ray's on prince or lombardi's. for chinese, go to wo-hop but make sure you go downstairs! if you're into shopping, spend a few hours in soho.

i don't like to hang out uptown much, but you're a tourist and you should take a walk through central park. hit up the museum of natural history while you're there. i also love the roerich museum.

anything else?

stay away from times square...its a tourist trap and it sucks

absolutely!
    just walk and walk and walk!
    also, if you at ALL enjoy art....hit up MoMA. the metropolitan museum of art is a must-see as well, tho you can never see all of it, just too expansive. also, ferry ride to ellis island is always recommended imo. downtown is my fave place just to walk around, tho i spend most of my time mid-town nowadays as that is where i work. there are cool things to see/do everywhere tho.

enjoy!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

how about cabs? Will I need to take a cab ride to different locations on occasion?

Fuck cabs. Don't need 'em. Don't want 'em. And, often, they won't get you there as quickly as the subway will.
    I agree with most of the advice on this thread. However, if you've never been to NYC ... go to Times Square. Just to say you did. It won't bite.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    A couple transportation questions for you New Yorkers. (We are country hicks from Southern Illinois).

It looks as if we will be flying into Laguardia. Should we take a cab to the Wingate? or
    I looked at the MTA website and it looks like we could take a bus to Line 7 to get to Midtown and then catch 1, 2, or 3 to get to the hotel. I imagine we can walk from a subway station to the hotel. Depending on how much luggage we have this might be a hassle.

Will it be safe to walk or take the subway to all of the places mentioned in this thread? (me and husband - big husband).

We like to walk, but I figure for time purposes we will need to take the subway too. Should we buy the $27.00 7 day pass? The one day passes? or just pay each time? I don't have a handle on how often we will be using the subway. We will be flying in on 5/18 and flying out on 5/23.

And we really want to run in Central Park. Is it walking/running distance from hotel?

Thanks again for the information. You guys are great and a wealth of information.

Hubby insists on visiting 911 site.

Do you recommend any boat tours? I have considered Ellis Island. Sounds really neat, but all of our ancestors are pre Ellis Island so don't know if I would relate to it so much.

I love old cemeteries and the one mentioned in this thread looks cool -tours and everything.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    A couple transportation questions for you New Yorkers. (We are country hicks from Southern Illinois).

It looks as if we will be flying into Laguardia. Should we take a cab to the Wingate? or
    I looked at the MTA website and it looks like we could take a bus to Line 7 to get to Midtown and then catch 1, 2, or 3 to get to the hotel. I imagine we can walk from a subway station to the hotel. Depending on how much luggage we have this might be a hassle.

depends.
    how open are you to it taking awhile, lugging your stuff, etc. it will be FAR cheaper taking bus/subway. cab will be at least $50. at least. if you're up for it, do the bus/subway.
    Will it be safe to walk or take the subway to all of the places mentioned in this thread? (me and husband - big husband).

yes. very safe. just be alert and not flashy.
    NYC is a LOT safer than it used to be. a LOT.
    We like to walk, but I figure for time purposes we will need to take the subway too. Should we buy the $27.00 7 day pass? The one day passes? or just pay each time? I don't have a handle on how often we will be using the subway. We will be flying in on 5/18 and flying out on 5/23.

again, depends. do you have some sort of gameplan for places you want to hit up? check distances. i tend to walk a LOT in whatever city i visit. NYC is a VERY walkable city, but sure...you will want to take the subway on occasion. however, even if you figure using it round-trip once a day....that still would only be what, $10 for the 2 of you? so really think how much you'll use it.
    And we really want to run in Central Park. Is it walking/running distance from hotel?

it's definitely walkable. it's a good walk, but walkable. i've done it many times. i definitely think central park is a MUST, so enjoy!

Thanks again for the information. You guys are great and a wealth of information.

Do you recommend any boat tours? I have considered Ellis Island. Sounds really neat, but all of our ancestors are pre Ellis Island so don't know if I would relate to it so much.

i most definitely recommend taking a circle line tour....NYC is just gorgeous from the water, and in may it will be glorious weather! personally, whether your ancestors are pre or post ellis island doesn't make a difference imo. i personally consider it a must-see. and sure, the 09/11 site is moving. it's just a big hole in the ground, but yea.....

hope to meetya at the pre or post parties!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107

depends.
    how open are you to it taking awhile, lugging your stuff, etc. it will be FAR cheaper taking bus/subway. cab will be at least $50. at least. if you're up for it, do the bus/subway.

again, depends. do you have some sort of gameplan for places you want to hit up? check distances. i tend to walk a LOT in whatever city i visit. NYC is a VERY walkable city, but sure...you will want to take the subway on occasion. however, even if you figure using it round-trip once a day....that still would only be what, $10 for the 2 of you? so really think how much you'll use it.

it's definitely walkable. it's a good walk, but walkable. i've done it many times. i definitely think central park is a MUST, so enjoy!

i most definitely recommend taking a circle line tour....NYC is just gorgeous from the water, and in may it will be glorious weather! personally, whether your ancestors are pre or post ellis island doesn't make a difference imo. i personally consider it a must-see. and sure, the 09/11 site is moving. it's just a big hole in the ground, but yea.....

If you want cheaper (at least downtown part of NYC) boat trip in NY then look at taking either the Staten Island Ferry (real cheap, I believe FREE, LOL) or one of the ferry's that goes from east side Manhattan to Hoboken, I think like 5 bucks, great views and you get to hang with commuters :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Thanks decides2dream. I am going to try to keep luggage to a minimum so it will be easier to get around.

We plan on attending the pre-parties so hopefully I will be able to meet you.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    If you want cheaper (at least downtown part of NYC) boat trip in NY then look at taking either the Staten Island Ferry (real cheap, I believe FREE, LOL) or one of the ferry's that goes from east side Manhattan to Hoboken, I think like 5 bucks, great views and you get to hang with commuters :D

no one from out of town actually wants to HANG with NYers. ;)

:mrgreen:

and hey, i love circle line...and i'm a native. :mrgreen:
    i always take visitors on it.
    but sure, definitely other options in there too.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Whatever you do, do not take the Ferry to Staten Island. I live here and I despise it.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107

Done it too :mrgreen:
    I was just offering NYC on the cheap :D
    Ok for NYers how old were you when you got to do the "sites" of NYC.
    I had not been to Statue of Liberty until recently and have never been in the Empire State Building :shock:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    how about cabs? Will I need to take a cab ride to different locations on occasion?

I've lived here 9 years and avoid cabs unless I'm late, have a suitcase with me or it's late at night and I'm in high heels. I think our subways are awesome. They run 24 hours and you can get anywhere (even Coney Island!) for $2.50. You can get a daily or weekly pass, not sure how much they cost but normally if you plan to take a subway or bus more than 2x a day it makes up for itself. Don't forget the cross town bus on major cross streets to get from East-West, or West-East.
  • However, if you've never been to NYC ... go to Times Square. Just to say you did. It won't bite.

I've been told by many to stay away from Times Square, but I can't go to NYC for the first time and not check it out.

I imagine it'd be better to check out Central Park on a weekday rather than a weekend, eh?

Some great advice in here! Thanks.
    Oh yeah, I've been copying the posts from this thread and putting them into a document for future reference. I am also starting a list of people I need to look up at the pre-party. They get crowded and sometime you have to make the effort to go look for someone. So you guys that have helped us tourists, and if you don't mind, maybe you can post a brief description of yourself, and if you don't want to that is o.k. too. I am sort of tall (5' 7.5") blonde female (middle aged) - Gina. My husband, Butch, is 6' 4.5" with a shaved head. So look us up guys.

Also, Black Diamond, the Staten Island Ferry sounds interesting. It seems like it is referenced in so many tv shows, movies, etc.

I was in New York City when I was in 7th grade - so so long ago. I was with two aunts, an uncle, and my cousin. It was a whirlwind day trip (from Wilkes Barre, PA where my aunt/uncle lived) to Chinatown, the UN, and Statue of Liberty - that is all I remember. Many years ago I was in Long Island over night on business, but that is it. My husband has never been there.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168

depends.

Where's the Wingate? Did they up the fares, decides2dream? I think cabbing from Laguardia will cost more like $30. I would not attempt public transportation coming from the airport, especially if you're not familiar with the city.

I second this. I'm a petite girl, walk around the city by myself a lot. I feel much safer here than any other city I've been to. Just be smart and don't walk down a deep dark alley that looks dodgy, but that's with any city.

again, depends. do you have some sort of gameplan for places you want to hit up? check distances. i tend to walk a LOT in whatever city i visit. NYC is a VERY walkable city, but sure...you will want to take the subway on occasion. however, even if you figure using it round-trip once a day....that still would only be what, $10 for the 2 of you? so really think how much you'll use it. [/quote]

I would suggest getting a day pass for days you know you will be using the subway a lot. Even if you end up doing that 7 days a week, it will be cheaper than getting singles each time and you don't risk wasting $27 if you don't end up using it every day.

Looks like the Wingate is on 35th between 7th & 8th. The park starts at around 60th street. On a nice day you could certainly walk, but you could also take the subway there. You will be close to a few major subway lines, just ask your hotel front desk.

[/quote]

Second circle line tour; take the 3-hour one that goes around the island. Also go to Liberty Island to visit the statue of Liberty! I've never personally done that but have been wanting to for years. Don't really think 9/11 is a must-see. There's really nothing to see about it but it also makes me very sad whenever I go near it.

Some other things I find helpful; if I'm going somewhere I'm not familiar with, I use googlemaps to look it up, and if I want to walk I have googlemaps map out walking directions. There's no shame in carrying a map in NYC, most people I know who live here have a pocket map and the rest get lost or take cabs. Also before going to a restaurant that everyone swears by, look up their zagat rating. If it's anything less than a 20, it's not THAT great.
  • Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    Thanks for all the suggestions on here guys!!

My dad and me will be coming over for the msg shows!!! :)
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • trotti2trotti2 Posts: 82
    yeah this thread really helps 1st timers in NYC cant wait to be there. Thanks.
    Houston- 4/6/2003 10/14/2000 10/15/2000
    Dallas- 6/9/2003 10/17/2000 7/5/1998
    San Antonio- 4/5/2003
    Chicago- Ed Solo 8/22/08
    San Diego- 10/9/2009
    Philly- 10/30/2009 10/31/2009
    New York- 05/20/2010 05/21/2010
    PJ20- 9/3/2011 9/04/2011
    edited March 2010

Done it too :mrgreen:
    I was just offering NYC on the cheap :D
    Ok for NYers how old were you when you got to do the "sites" of NYC.
    I had not been to Statue of Liberty until recently and have never been in the Empire State Building :shock:

hahaha, seriously!
    i only went to ellis island/statue of liberty when my finnish GF came over to be my maid of honor when i married. so yea...not until i was 23! most of my NYC site-seeing has been done for visiting guests. however, i did go to the world trade center and empire state building as a kid. my parents were not art lovers, nor big on the city...so i never went to an art museum until my late teens. amazing....

@suzi......eh well, thought it would be $50.
    then again, i might be thinking JFK. i've never actually taken a cab, or the subway, to manhattan. i live on long island. i only work in manhattan. however, i still say the adventurous can manage public transport to NYC if they want. save some $$$. either/or tho....and as to the subway, absolutely! that's why i think it's a good idea to have a rough game-plan. figure out some 'must-do' things....break out a city map....and cluster places/activities...figure out roughly how often you'll need the subway, then plan from there. i'm so psyched so many will be making the trip! :) i think one of the BEST things about NYC, and MSG shows...is the mix of people!
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    However, if you've never been to NYC ... go to Times Square. Just to say you did. It won't bite.

I've been told by many to stay away from Times Square, but I can't go to NYC for the first time and not check it out.

I imagine it'd be better to check out Central Park on a weekday rather than a weekend, eh?

Some great advice in here! Thanks.
    do a walk by of times square at night. Central park in may is cool and strawberry fields is right in central park also. That's cool if you like lennon and the beatles.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?