The PJ sell-out debate ends here

Comments

• HaijayHaijay Posts: 376
    [
    People like you obsessed with selling out need to get off your ass and get a job no one will call you a sell out just get a job. It's the poor and unaccomplished who talk about selling out. Walk upstairs and tell your mom and dad I said hello.[/quote]
    now that's fucken funny! NICE!
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Always think about the changes that occurred in the music business from say, 1996-present before using the term "sell out" so easily. Anyone who works in this industry will tell you that PJ is one band that has had every opportunity to sell out and never has. This thing with Target is a way to adapt to the current music industry. The only reason they did it is so they can remain an INDEPENDENT band, ie: no label, no compromise. It's not easy for a band of PJ's magnitude to put out an album without a source like that. So they had to play one show, that im sure they dreaded doing, it doesn't bother me. Im sure they didn't want to do the target commercial either. They were sacrifices made so we could have Backspacer.
    We have to remember the current climate in the music industry and remember that we've followed PJ for 20 years... A LOT has changed.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,558
    Haijay wrote:
    [
    People like you obsessed with selling out need to get off your ass and get a job no one will call you a sell out just get a job. It's the poor and unaccomplished who talk about selling out. Walk upstairs and tell your mom and dad I said hello.
    now that's fucken funny! NICE![/quote]

i must say....that is indeed, certifiably hillarious. get a haircut and get a real job hippies!
    www.myspace.com
    Gmoney wrote:
    Always think about the changes that occurred in the music business from say, 1996-present before using the term "sell out" so easily. Anyone who works in this industry will tell you that PJ is one band that has had every opportunity to sell out and never has. This thing with Target is a way to adapt to the current music industry. The only reason they did it is so they can remain an INDEPENDENT band, ie: no label, no compromise. It's not easy for a band of PJ's magnitude to put out an album without a source like that. So they had to play one show, that im sure they dreaded doing, it doesn't bother me. Im sure they didn't want to do the target commercial either. They were sacrifices made so we could have Backspacer.
    We have to remember the current climate in the music industry and remember that we've followed PJ for 20 years... A LOT has changed.

hey look: someone who makes sense. some people just don't realize how the real world works.
    www.myspace.com
  • there is just something about making a million dollars that makes people want to make more millions. i always thought if i had a million dollars, i'd tell everyone who wanted me to do something to fuck off.

"whats that Target? you want a private show? fuck you! i got a million dollars already!"

"whats that? i have to make a video? fuck you! i got a million dollars already!"

"what? we have to sign this shit to sell our records to more and more customers? fuck you! i got a million dollars already!"

seems like they would be in a better position to say no to this if they really felt it was wrong, not worse.

i'd be an awesome millionaire.
  • Gmoney wrote:
    They were sacrifices made so we could have Backspacer.

It's unfortunate that those sacrifices were made for more reasons than one. :lol:
    MrSmith wrote:

seems like they would be in a better position to say no to this if they really felt it was wrong, not worse.

you have absolutely no way of knowing that. only the people involved with their target negotiations last year would. you give a little. you get a little. that's how this stuff works.
    www.myspace.com
  • JeffSide wrote:

They played for the Target store manger's annual corporate event sharing the bill with one of the JONAS BROTHERS!!!!

I didn't think it was for store managers, I heard it was for sales achievers. So, the people who are out there selling their CDs for them.

WTF cares what other band or singers were there? So if PJ was inclined to do something nice for these people, should they have rescinded the offer when they found out one of the Jonas guys would be there?

These guys don't need money - they played for those people because they wanted to and whatever reason they have for feeling that way is good enough for me. For all we know, the proceeds were donated to charity.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    there is just something about making a million dollars that makes people want to make more millions. i always thought if i had a million dollars, i'd tell everyone who wanted me to do something to fuck off.

"whats that Target? you want a private show? fuck you! i got a million dollars already!"

"whats that? i have to make a video? fuck you! i got a million dollars already!"

"what? we have to sign this shit to sell our records to more and more customers? fuck you! i got a million dollars already!"

i'd be an awesome millionaire.

You'd been awesome in Goodfellas too...
    JeffSide wrote:
    Gmoney wrote:
    They were sacrifices made so we could have Backspacer.

It's unfortunate that those sacrifices were made for more reasons than one. :lol:

like what?
    www.myspace.com
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    paakjerjr wrote:
    "Today 3/16/2010 – in what might be the craziest lineup the band has ever been a part of, with Shaun White, Michael Buble’, Nick Jonas, Lady Antebellum, and Norah Jones – Pearl Jam played a three-song set at (where else) the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota at Target’s National Sales Conference. Pearl Jam was last on the bill and played The Fixer, The Real Me (The Who) and Porch." (source two feet thick)

Look at the lineup along with the band. Unreal.

Alright already.

You do what for a living?

You sell out.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU HOLIER THAN THOU IDIOTS. There is NO SUCH THING AS SELLING OUT. Do you work for a living? Do you get a paycheque for what you do? Then that means you sold out the day you started working. Can't you grasp that?

People argued that Van Halen sold out to Pepsi back in the early 90's. Zeppelin for a car commercial. The list is endless. It's hogwash. It's called getting your music out there and getting money for it.

I am a musician. If Target asked me to play a few songs in between the Jonas brothers and Simple Plan so I could have record distribution that suited my band AND MY FANS, I'd say "what fucking time?".

People here are so goddamn shortsighted and stupid it makes me want to vomit. I don't care what band we're talking about, whether it be PJ or the Black Eyed Peas. If it's not compromising your beliefs for money (which they have stated time and again that they haven't defending themselves to their own "fans" ), then it ain't selling out.

Please, please, please, just SHUT UP.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Alright already.

You do what for a living?

You sell out.

thank you.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • edited March 2010
    SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU HOLIER THAN THOU IDIOTS. There is NO SUCH THING AS SELLING OUT. Do you work for a living? Do you get a paycheque for what you do? Then that means you sold out the day you started working. Can't you grasp that?

People argued that Van Halen sold out to Pepsi back in the early 90's. Zeppelin for a car commercial. The list is endless. It's hogwash. It's called getting your music out there and getting money for it.

I am a musician. If Target asked me to play a few songs in between the Jonas brothers and Simple Plan so I could have record distribution that suited my band AND MY FANS, I'd say "what fucking time?".

People here are so goddamn shortsighted and stupid it makes me want to vomit. I don't care what band we're talking about, whether it be PJ or the Black Eyed Peas. If it's not compromising your beliefs for money (which they have stated time and again that they haven't defending themselves to their own "fans" ), then it ain't selling out.

its not compromising your beliefs when you've actually stated your beliefs and then do the opposite? of course it is.
    maybe your band doesnt give a shit about it, but this band obviously does, or did. or said they did. if thats not selling out than what is?

not that i even care. just stop denying it.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • rnyc214rnyc214 Posts: 39
    Why do people forget that its a business? In a perfect world they wouldn't have to do any deals with sponsors or charge $10 for tickets but it ain't a perfect world people.
    SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU HOLIER THAN THOU IDIOTS. There is NO SUCH THING AS SELLING OUT. Do you work for a living? Do you get a paycheque for what you do? Then that means you sold out the day you started working. Can't you grasp that?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

well said :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • MrSmith wrote:
    its not compromising your beliefs when you've actually stated your beliefs and then do the opposite? of course it is.
    maybe your band doesnt give a shit about it, but this band obviously does, or did. or said they did. if thats not selling out than what is?

it's because people are looking only skin deep at this, rather than seeing the real meat of it. "oh, PJ signed with a big box store, wah". they did that because they are not part of a label. they need distribution. that's what Target is. Selling their cd's and shipping them across the country. should they have shipped every cd seperately via fedex and got some jobless chap to sell them on the corner?

please, tell me what Ed's beliefs are. I'd really like to know your REAL personal insight.

I'm not denying anything. I could care less what the band does, as long as I like their music I'll listen to it and go to their shows. You don't own the band and what they do is not to be responsible to you.

It's absolutely pathetic that people hold PJ up to this standard that no one, NO ONE, can live up to. A standard that would make this band go broke in a year and then BAM! No music for you! Next!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Let me start by saying I am in the same age group as Eddie and the boys. And no one loves the pissed off anti-establishment attitude of the band's early days more than me. Having said that, people grow and change, it's inevitable.

If you compared how I deal with responsibilities, solve problems and go about my daily life 20 years ago to how I function today, I would probably appear to be a major hypocrite. Fortunately for me, no one was keeping a written or video record lol!!!

Pearl Jam have grown and matured (quite gracefully I think) into early middle aged men. They have wives, children, 401k plans - all the same shit my parent's were dealing with when I was young and angst ridden myself. I swore I'd never buy into the system like my folk's did, and while I still hold many of my ideals in my heart, I'm sure I've sold out too. Cause now I have a husband, and a kid in college and a retirement plan to worry about.

It's just the way things work. It's Evolution Baby!!!!
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    so does anyone here think......ed will ever drink his own bile again?
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Pearl Jam sold out?
    I still like their music.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    ajedigecko wrote:

Not on purpose LOL!!!
  • MrSmith wrote:

it's because people are looking only skin deep at this, rather than seeing the real meat of it. "oh, PJ signed with a big box store, wah". they did that because they are not part of a label. they need distribution. that's what Target is. Selling their cd's and shipping them across the country. should they have shipped every cd seperately via fedex and got some jobless chap to sell them on the corner?

please, tell me what Ed's beliefs are. I'd really like to know your REAL personal insight.

I'm not denying anything. I could care less what the band does, as long as I like their music I'll listen to it and go to their shows. You don't own the band and what they do is not to be responsible to you.

It's absolutely pathetic that people hold PJ up to this standard that no one, NO ONE, can live up to. A standard that would make this band go broke in a year and then BAM! No music for you! Next!
    all i know is what he's said about a million and one times at shows. the proof is right there. covering up corporate banners, talking shit about the people in the skyboxes, etc etc etc. just admit it. i doesnt destroy my love for the music, because i dont give a shit what their stances are anyway, but the fact is they sold out by their OWN standards.

they really dont NEED Target, and no, they wouldnt go broke in a year. that is fucking crazy. do you follow any other bands?

and the only thing they owe me personally is the twenty bucks i paid for Avocado. for the rest were even!
    Keiran wrote:
    ajedigecko wrote:

Not on purpose LOL!!!
    sellouts, then.
    MrSmith wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

all i know is what he's said about a million and one times at shows. the proof is right there. covering up corporate banners, talking shit about the people in the skyboxes, etc etc etc. just admit it. i doesnt destroy my love for the music, because i dont give a shit what their stances are anyway, but the fact is they sold out by their OWN standards.

they really dont NEED Target, and no, they wouldnt go broke in a year. that is fucking crazy. do you follow any other bands?

and the only thing they owe me personally is the twenty bucks i paid for Avocado. for the rest were even!

"it's because people are looking only skin deep at this, rather than seeing the real meat of it."

just think about this a little more...you'll get it eventually
    www.myspace.com
  • jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    I agree with the poster.....Been a fan for the last 20 years...from 17 until 37, but they have definetly compromised their beliefs and gone against what they originally stood for. It's such a shame to see since the band has meant so much to me over the years and helped me through some tough times, but I guess they need to do what they feel is right. As far as having to support their families and all of that nonsense, the band has more money then they could ever spend. Not to mention that they could sell out any venue in the world and distribute their record any way they want (Radiohead still manage to eat) but yet they choose to sign deals with sketchy labels, distribute their music through major coperations, and over charge for tickets. So, this is not a bitch fest or anything...it just sadenns me to see the end of an era....Dont get me wrong, I still love their music and am looking forward to the Garden, but definetly not the same feel there once was....Too bad they dont take another lession from Uncle Neil
  • Keiran wrote:
    Let me start by saying I am in the same age group as Eddie and the boys. And no one loves the pissed off anti-establishment attitude of the band's early days more than me. Having said that, people grow and change, it's inevitable.

If you compared how I deal with responsibilities, solve problems and go about my daily life 20 years ago to how I function today, I would probably appear to be a major hypocrite. Fortunately for me, no one was keeping a written or video record lol!!!

Pearl Jam have grown and matured (quite gracefully I think) into early middle aged men. They have wives, children, 401k plans - all the same shit my parent's were dealing with when I was young and angst ridden myself. I swore I'd never buy into the system like my folk's did, and while I still hold many of my ideals in my heart, I'm sure I've sold out too. Cause now I have a husband, and a kid in college and a retirement plan to worry about.

I completely see your point (I'm in the same age group) but if thats the case the band should stop singing a good portion of their songs.
    Like I've already said... It's very ironic to see Ed sing Satans Bed while his supermodel wife sits side stage under the Verizon screens.
    JeffSide wrote:
    Keiran wrote:

I completely see your point (I'm in the same age group) but if thats the case the band should stop singing a good portion of their songs.
    Like I've already said... It's very ironic to see Ed sing Satans Bed while his supermodel wife sits side stage under the Verizon screens.
    should they stop playing "alive"........since the meaning of the song changed, over time.
  • JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    The same people who pissed and moaned that Eddie needed to shut up on stage and get off his high political horse and get their music out there are the same people complaining they are sellouts now.

It's the nature of people who love to complain: no one is ever in a winning position...unless they are Radiohead. ;-)

If you really don't like it, walk away. No one will miss your seniority in the 10C.
    JeffSide wrote:
    Keiran wrote:

I understand what you are saying. And yes, the whole Satan's Bed - supermodel wife - Verizon screen thing is a sticky wicket, to say the least. Probably not one of their finest moments lol.
  • JeffSide wrote:
    Not only did they sell out long ago, They sound like shit!!
    It's ok admit that they ain't to good anymore. You won't lose your membership.
    Someone who clearly wasn't at the Halloween show at The Spectrum.
    JeffSide wrote:
    UpSideDown wrote:
    these guys just donated $200,000 to Haiti..........I didn't see any posts about that.

When your rich and famous... That's what you do.
    It's a tax write-off.
    To quote an astute poster here, you're kind of an ass, aren't you? Assuming that the boys pay somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% in income taxes, well... that's the only 'break' they're getting... that's still a $120K out of their pockets. Yeah... just some rich boys gettin' over on the ole tax breaks :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All of that said... screw all ya'll MoFos... Buble is da' shizzle :twisted: 8-)
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011