The PJ sell-out debate ends here

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,551
    JeffSide wrote:
    Ok, Well... I think I've had my fun.
    Anymore will just make me more upset about the one outlet that I've had in my life as far back as I can remember.

Plus, I'll just start talking about how they are transforming into KISS.
    Anyone notice you can buy ANY poster from the 2009 tour right now!
    Or that all 4 philly posters were available for sale after the 4th show?
    Either someone's getting pretty greedy or no one buys posters anymore!
    Way to kill the poster market guys!!!

I wish Brad Klausen was around to chime in on this.

It really pains to to bash the band like this but I just cant take it anymore!
    Everything they do now is dipped in shit!

what are you, 12 years old?
    www.myspace.com
  • JeffSide wrote:
    Anymore will just make me more upset about the one outlet that I've had in my life as far back as I can remember.

exactly. Jesus, I don't think the band ever intended for any fan to have to pay hundreds of dollars for a poster they missed out on getting at the gig.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • MrSmith wrote:
    it wasnt even mentioned on this site. that alone tells you they didnt want it to get much publicity.

for all you wonderful business majors out there, it doesnt even make much business sense. cancelling or avoiding shows in places with many fans who have given so much money to this band so that they can fit in a corporate 3 song show for Target? thats a slap in the face to a lot of people and pretty terrible long term business practice.

and why should a private gig be posted on their website? that doesn't make much sense. why doesn't eddie post what he had for breakfast today?

"slap in the face to a lot of people.......who have given so much money to this band". You talk like you have given them donations. They are not a charity. you bought merch you wanted. this band owes you jack shit. they are obviously doing whatever the fuck they want, exactly what they've always done, but now since it no longer suits your needs/wants/petty BS, you disagree with it. it's as simple as that.

end of story.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • ten zten z Posts: 55
    There is worse than what PJ is doing now.

Example: Queensryche, a band that is deep like PJ, have decided to do an cabaret show, complete with Go-Go dancers, drag queens, contortionists and jugglers. At the same time Queensryche will be performing their hits, which are deep unlike what is going on at the cabaret. If you want more info about this atrocity, here's the link: http://www.queensryche.com/2010/02/10/q ... e-cabaret/

Just be thankful that PJ isn't doing what Queensryche is doing.
    PJ Shows I have attended:
    May 15, 2010 Hartford, CT 
    October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    edited March 2010
    ten z wrote:

Example: Queensryche, a band that is deep like PJ, have decided to do an cabaret show, complete with Go-Go dancers, drag queens, contortionists and jugglers. At the same time Queensryche will be performing their hits, which are deep unlike what is going on at the cabaret. If you want more info about this atrocity, here's the link: http://www.queensryche.com/2010/02/10/q ... e-cabaret/

Hey at least they're doing something different. PJ has always been just five guys on the stage playing. And there's nothing wrong with that. But there's also nothing wrong with theatrics that bands like Kiss, Alice Cooper and now I guess Queensryche use.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • ten z wrote:

Hey at least they're doing something different. PJ has always been just five guys on the stage playing. And there's nothing wrong with that. But there's also nothing wrong with theatrics that bands like Kiss, Alice Cooper and not I guess Queensryche use.

I agree. If they're gonna be having fun doing it then why not?
  • There was an interesting paradox recently in the UK. RATM going up against the X-Factor winner for number one. Sure, the backdrop was "we are agaisnt talent show tripe" but the reality was that if they had really been so against it they wouldn't have used the X-Factor brand as a way of getting so much publicity and renewed interest in their band. They would have seen the Facebook thingand said, "No thanks, we don't want to be associated with those guys at all." What actually happened was, they looked like the good guys, giving money to charity and playing free concerts, but they also benefitted greatly from the very brand they were 'fighting'. And... what's more, the winner of X-Factor sold 5 times more singles than he was predicted to sell before the whole rivalry started and got thousands of column inches when nobody would have otherwise been writing shit about him two days after he won. Then next week he had a number one record. And Simon Cowell, who was on the news every single day talking about how distasteful he thought the rivalry was, got lots of media exposure and made another bag load of cash. Everyone was really a winner.

I respect RATM and in no way think they did the wrong thing. People need to stop believing that any band can survive in the modern era without playing the marketing game, even bands with higher principles who support great causes.

I think we also have to take into consideration that early-90s bands are now 15 years past their commercial prime. When Ed and the guys were so gung-ho against sponsorship etc they could damned well afford to be as people were clamouring to buy their records.

I have not and will not lose respect for the band. Who among us here have really ever taken stands and been prepared to fight losing battles like they have? Especially those of you who continually call them sell outs...
    we're all going to the same place...
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    stranger34 wrote:
    JeffSide wrote:
    It's truly a sad day in the history of PJ.
    Although they really sold long before today, They are just shoving it in people's faces now.
    A few of us are trying to put our finger on when they jumped the shark.
    Some say 2006, When they brought out the lasers during the shows and Ed was drinking water out of his wine bottle at every show.
    I think it was even earlier... When Jack was booted.
    So after going to 100 plus shows starting at Cameo 1992, I bid PJ adu.

R.I.P.
    Pearl Jam
    1990-2010

...1990-1998 Ed is rolling over in his grave...

1998 ed would despise 2010 ed

1998 Ed would be cursing out 2010 Ed on stage.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    its all Matt Cameron's fault! bring back Jack Irons!

+1 for brining Jack back.

But hey at least they didn't play 3 off Backspacer.

I find that to be rather cool in itself.
  • doompony wrote:
    03/16/10: Target Center, Minneapolis, MN
    set: The Fixer, The Real Me, Porch
    TFT Notes: Pearl Jam play a surprise 3-song set at Target’s national manager’s meeting. “The Fixer” was the first single featured in a Target commercial, filmed live from the Showbox. The Who’s “The Real Me” is dedicated to Snowboarder Shawn White who as a Target sponsored athlete was also at the event. Ed spoke for a few minutes before “Porch” about how the partnership with Target came about, saying how before all the guys in the band got to play music for a living, they all just loved playing music and it was important to them that when it came to the business side of things that they wanted to make sure they conducted business ethically and Target let them do that. Continuing, Ed said the partnership only worked because there was mutual respect about how to work together and there wasn’t a focus on the bottom line, and that they each learned a lot from each other.

this needs a bump, thanks for posting.
    doompony wrote:
    TFT Notes: Pearl Jam play a surprise 3-song set at Target’s national manager’s meeting. “The Fixer” was the first single featured in a Target commercial, filmed live from the Showbox. The Who’s “The Real Me” is dedicated to Snowboarder Shawn White who as a Target sponsored athlete was also at the event. Ed spoke for a few minutes before “Porch” about how the partnership with Target came about, saying how before all the guys in the band got to play music for a living, they all just loved playing music and it was important to them that when it came to the business side of things that they wanted to make sure they conducted business ethically and Target let them do that. Continuing, Ed said the partnership only worked because there was mutual respect about how to work together and there wasn’t a focus on the bottom line, and that they each learned a lot from each other.

Yet in an interview, Stone mentioned something along these lines: that with the exclusive Target deal each of the band members make $.05 for every album sold vs the $.02 for every album sold otherwise. Therefore bottom line was very much a key issue, even something he felt comfortable talking about. I'll have to find the interview, I know it was posted on here.
  • Jeanwah wrote:
    doompony wrote:

Yet in an interview, Stone mentioned something along these lines: that with the exclusive Target deal each of the band members make $.05 for every album sold vs the $.02 for every album sold otherwise. Therefore bottom line was very much a key issue, even something he felt comfortable talking about. I'll have to find the interview, I know it was posted on here.

yes, he did say that. and it's $5, not $.05. And the issue with that is......? If you could have the same job but make more than double what you currently make, what would you do??
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,763
    JeffSide wrote:

exactly. Jesus, I don't think the band ever intended for any fan to have to pay hundreds of dollars for a poster they missed out on getting at the gig.

I don't think that was their intention either but they knew the demand it was creating and only last year did something about it.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,460
    Game, Set, Match.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    doompony wrote:

yes, he did say that. and it's $5, not $.05. And the issue with that is......? If you could have the same job but make more than double what you currently make, what would you do??

Did you even read the release above? I underlined the obvious for you.
  • Jeanwah wrote:

yes, I did, but thanks for checking. Ed said one thing, Stone said another thing. Maybe it wasn't their main focus, maybe it was. Bottom line? WE SHOULDN'T CARE.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    maybe ed was talking about VPL? :mrgreen:
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Jeanwah wrote:

yes, I did, but thanks for checking. Ed said one thing, Stone said another thing. Maybe it wasn't their main focus, maybe it was. Bottom line? WE SHOULDN'T CARE.

I agree with you...we SHOULDN'T care ... we're not running their business, they are...and if you want to debate that to death...go ahead....I don't care...
    be philanthropic
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    Target did a much better job of distributing Backspacer than the fanclub did... I have no problem with a small set at a corporate meeting to say thanks for all your hard work.. Anyone else remember going to pick a copy up at Target because the copy you preordered from the band months earlier didn't make it. Wait a minute... Maybe that was a conspiracy to sell more copies? Perhaps.. Whateva.. The songs are still passionate and the band still rocks.. Eddie already said years ago that he was no fucking Messiah anyway..
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    bhigh901 wrote:
    Target did a much better job of distributing Backspacer than the fanclub did... I have no problem with a small set at a corporate meeting to say thanks for all your hard work.. Anyone else remember going to pick a copy up at Target because the copy you preordered from the band months earlier didn't make it. Wait a minute... Maybe that was a conspiracy to sell more copies? Perhaps.. Whateva.. The songs are still passionate and the band still rocks.. Eddie already said years ago that he was no fucking Messiah anyway..

dude it worked on me... i had to go buy it in a store on release date because i couldn't wait. i have 3 copies :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    remember how long the vinyl took?? how quickly we forgot...
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I couldn't wade through this thread, but its not unreasonable to want to be paid for your work, even if you are fortunate to have a job you like and enjoy the work. They were blessed with talent, and share plenty back to the community. Have you looked at the Activism page lately? There are a lot of links of theirs on the 'gave' part of that page.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    JaneNY wrote:
    I couldn't wade through this thread, but its not unreasonable to want to be paid for your work, even if you are fortunate to have a job you like and enjoy the work. They were blessed with talent, and share plenty back to the community. Have you looked at the Activism page lately? There are a lot of links of theirs on the 'gave' part of that page.

in that case shouldn't every one of the PJ fans on here who have moaned their little arses off about Bill Gates shut the fuck up...

Bill Gates wanted paid for his work, he enjoyed his job, blessed with a talent and he shares to the community... way more than PJ will ever manage to...

yet the man is ridiculed on here because Ed wrote a song about him and his money lust... baaaaa
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • JeffSide wrote:
    Although they really sold long before today, They are just shoving it in people's faces now.
    Some say 2006, When they brought out the lasers during the shows and Ed was drinking water out of his wine bottle at every show.

R.I.P.
    Pearl Jam
    1990-2010

So, in your opinion, they 'sold out', 'jumped the shark' and have been 'rubbing it in people's faces' for 12 years and yet you still keep coming back for more? I just don't get the people on these boards who love attacking the band and saying stuff like that. If you have somehow felt betrayed or let down my a music group for over a decade, why not just let go? It's not a bad marriage, it's fun with guitars...

And think about yourself in 1998 and yourself now (especially as you are the only person you have really earnt the right to judge here, not Ed, as I'm sure you don't know the guy). I know I had a lot of ideas and ideals 12 years ago that I would disagree with or even be thoroughly embarrassed about now. It's evolution baby, as "1998 Ed" would say ;)

I don't mean to be personal or confrontational, or blindly stick up the band, I just feel that we as fans have a certain line we cannot cross. We can judge critically but do we really know enough to make sweeping statements based upon moral judgements. Probably not...
    we're all going to the same place...
  • JeffSide wrote:

R.I.P.
    Pearl Jam
    1990-2010

So, in your opinion, they 'sold out', 'jumped the shark' and have been 'rubbing it in people's faces' for 12 years and yet you still keep coming back for more? I just don't get the people on these boards who love attacking the band and saying stuff like that. If you have somehow felt betrayed or let down my a music group for over a decade, why not just let go? It's not a bad marriage, it's fun with guitars...

And think about yourself in 1998 and yourself now (especially as you are the only person you have really earnt the right to judge here, not Ed, as I'm sure you don't know the guy). I know I had a lot of ideas and ideals 12 years ago that I would disagree with or even be thoroughly embarrassed about now. It's evolution baby, as "1998 Ed" would say ;)

I don't mean to be personal or confrontational, or blindly stick up the band, I just feel that we as fans have a certain line we cannot cross. We can judge critically but do we really know enough to make sweeping statements based upon moral judgements. Probably not...
    i think Ed has been making sweeping statements based upon moral judgements for years, i guess it only makes sense the fans would too. its the price you pay for insisting on ranting at shows since forever. plus i think its possible to still love the music, and be critical of other things. heck i thik their new albums pale in comparison, but i still love the old albums so much i still consider myself a HUGE fan.
  • jpb711jpb711 Posts: 2
    I can see people's point of view that that they soldout and maybe they have but who cares they still play better music than most of the acts out there.What bothers me is that as they gotten bigger it seems that the fans that were withthem from the beginning is being pushed out.lets face it their ealier stuff is much better that what they have put out in recent years.
    I think its best to live and let live ,if they want to push merchandise of all types and play to TARGET big wigs that there right,but dont turn around and complain about other bands selling out, Do what i do turn on the tunes ,light a number and remember the good times. Enjoy the show fellow PEARL JAMMERS,
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    COMMUNISM AND SOCIALISM DO NOT WORK IN THE REAL WORLD, AT LEAST NOT FOR HUMANS.

I don´t care what they charge. I paid to see them last time in seattle and LA. I don´t regret paying. The only thing I regret is that maybe going to Philly instead for the 4 shows.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • force-10 wrote:
    COMMUNISM AND SOCIALISM DO NOT WORK IN THE REAL WORLD, AT LEAST NOT FOR HUMANS.

I don´t care what they charge. I paid to see them last time in seattle and LA. I don´t regret paying. The only thing I regret is that maybe going to Philly instead for the 4 shows.
    complaining about high prices is communism now? what will they think of next?
  • currycurry Posts: 19
    The more money they make the more benefits we get---we being people in the world--- the more charities they contribute to----the more gigs they will want to play----the more albums they will want to make
    the more fans to join our family
    if anyone feels they have sold out, leave, get out, just like a family member who chooses to leave home because they do not think that mommy and daddy are giving them enough, I am sure you will be missed but mommy and daddy still have to feed the other kids. :cry:
    do not put up more than you are willing to lose
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    the only reason why 99% of us know about pearl jam is because they "sold out" in the early 90s. if it weren't for them selling out, the only people that would be aware of the band would be the teens that saw them play small shows in seattle.