Options

Time change. Again.

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    They say this is healthier for us?  Doctors that is.

HTF is it being dark at 445 healthier for us?
    Perhaps we are meant to be up and around earlier vs later....?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Perhaps we are meant to be up and around earlier vs later....?

445 is not that damn late...

I had a discussion about this years ago on FB, wait for it, and I mentioned that this was so that kids could help their parents tend to their crops and this practice is outdated and archaic.

I had a friend tell me that she knows farmers and they needed this still.  Because their kids helped i the fields...

Never have I seen such a bullshit statement from someone that liked to hear their own voice more than this person...
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    I know everyone always like this change this time of year but I am not one of them. I always hate losing an hour of sleep. Felt off the last day or two...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    justam said:
    I like gaining the hour of sleep in the Fall.
    That's in the Spring time.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    justam said:
    I like gaining the hour of sleep in the Fall.
    That's in the Spring time.
    Fall back.  You gain an hour.  Instead of it being 7am it would really be 8am so you can stay in a little more.
  • Options
    I know everyone always like this change this time of year but I am not one of them. I always hate losing an hour of sleep. Felt off the last day or two...
    Nobody likes the change.  I literally know no one that likes this.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    I like this change for 2 reasons.

1 - Juggler pretends he doesn't know the difference between fall back and spring forward, every time, and this makes me laugh.  I like to laugh.

2 - while not necessarily a fan of the overall practice, I enjoy getting an hour extra on a Sunday AM in the fall.  I had to leave my house at 645 am and it felt like 745.  This is nice.
  • Options
    I like this change for 2 reasons.

1 - Juggler pretends he doesn't know the difference between fall back and spring forward, every time, and this makes me laugh.  I like to laugh.

2 - while not necessarily a fan of the overall practice, I enjoy getting an hour extra on a Sunday AM in the fall.  I had to leave my house at 645 am and it felt like 745.  This is nice.
    I prefer more light in the evening.  Being a 9-5 guy I can't ride the bike at night, well I can I would prefer not to.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Not a fan
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I hit the road at 6:00 AM every day. My morning commutes are going to be significantly better now then they were in the last month. 
  • Options
    I hit the road at 6:00 AM every day. My morning commutes are going to be significantly better now then they were in the last month. 
    Exactly the same. So nice to see the sun on my way to work this morning. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,991

I've never heard that. I've always heard this changing of schedules is actually unhealthy
  • Options
    Perspective is everything. 

A typical December day in Ireland gets 8 hours of sunlight at most, and as little as 7-1/2 around the solstice. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I've never heard that. I've always heard this changing of schedules is actually unhealthy
    There was an article about it.  I thought the same as you.  Who comes up w this shit?

It says that the start of your day with light is better than dark earlier in the evening...

F that.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    Please get over it after one day I’m good! I can still get done everything I need too!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Please get over it after one day I’m good! I can still get done everything I need too!
    Losing an hour of sleep is tougher for some people than it is for others. My father says it takes him weeks to adjust.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,419
    I read a while ago that the Senate passed, in a unanimous vote, to keep Daylight Savings time permanent starting next year. The House needs to still vote on it.

I prefer  a permanent move to DST.

Here's an updated article about it: https://www.wpri.com/news/national/time-is-running-out-for-house-to-pass-permanent-daylight-saving-bill/

Time is running out for House to pass permanent daylight saving bill

(The Hill) – Time is running out for the House to pass legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent in the U.S., after the Senate shocked the nation earlier this year and unanimously approved the measure. 

The bill, titled the Sunshine Protection Act, skated under the radar for months following Senate passage, but it is back in the spotlight this weekend as Americans “fall back” and change their clocks to standard time until March, taking an hour of daylight away from winter mornings. 

Lawmakers have just 17 legislative days — the period known as the lame-duck session — remaining to pass the bill and send it to President Biden’s desk before the current Congress comes to a close, and both chambers are forced to reset the clock and reconsider the controversial change. 

But the likelihood of lawmakers pushing the bill over the finish line in the final stretch is dimming. 

“I wouldn’t expect it to happen this time,” Rep. Kewisi Mfume (D-Md.), who is in the process of becoming a co-sponsor of the bill, told The Hill. “My gut sense tells me that there are going to be a number of other things that happen, depending on which party dominates the election.” 

The Senate sent shockwaves throughout the country in March when the chamber approved the Sunshine Protection Act by unanimous consent, a fast-track procedure that allows bills to pass if all members are on board and no objections are made. Buzzfeed News, however, reported that some Senators were surprised to learn that the measure had passed through the special process. 

The legislation, which has bipartisan sponsorship in both chambers, would do away with the biannual changing of the clocks and make daylight saving time the law of the land all year round. 

Under current regulations, the sun is scheduled to rise in New York at 7:16 a.m. on Dec. 21, the winter solstice, which is the shortest day of the year. But under the Sunshine Protection Act, New Yorkers would see the sun rise at 8:16 a.m. that day. 

The sunset would also be kicked back. Empire State residents are scheduled to see the sunset at 4:31 p.m. on Dec. 31. With the Sunshine Protection Act, however, sunset would be pushed back to 5:31 p.m. 

Americans are overwhelmingly in favor of ditching the ritual of changing the clocks. A Monmouth University poll conducted in March found that 61 percent of respondents want to do away with the practice, while 31 percent are in favor of maintaining the status quo. 

But there are disagreements about deciding what the law of the land should be: daylight saving time or standard time. That, in part, is holding the House back from advancing the Sunshine Protection Act. 

“We haven’t been able to find consensus in the House on this yet,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (D-N.J.), the chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committee, told The Hill in a statement.  

“There are a broad variety of opinions about whether to keep the status quo, to move to a permanent time, and if so, what time that should be. These opinions don’t break down by party, but instead by region,” he added. 

Forty-four percent of respondents in the Monmouth University poll said they would prefer year-round daylight saving time, compared to 13 percent who favor standard time. 

“I have received calls from constituents who prefer permanent standard time because they have safety concerns for children who have to wait too long in the dark during winter for the school bus, and I have heard from constituents and businesses who prefer permanent daylight saving time because they prefer longer daylight hours,” Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), who chairs the Energy and Commerce subcommittee that held a hearing on daylight saving time in February, told The Hill in a statement. 

A congressional aide working on the issue told The Hill that there are “so many different interests” clocking in their opinions, making it more difficult to reach a consensus. 

The Orthodox Jewish community, for example, “wants to make sure they’re able to get in their morning prayer and then still be able to get to work in reasonable time,” while some businesses “want to make sure that their customers can enjoy the evening hours in the daylight on a patio,” the aide, who requested anonymity to discuss the deliberations, said. 

“So it’s really all different interests,” the aide added. “It’s everyday people sharing what their quality of life would be like depending on which way this ruling goes.” 

“The Energy and Commerce Committee, which has jurisdiction over time, is continuing to review and solicit feedback from Americans and stakeholders about making daylight saving time permanent,” a spokesperson for Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (Wash.), the top Republican on the committee, told The Hill in a statement. “Leader Rodgers hopes that bipartisan work will continue.” 

In the past half-decade, at least 19 states have passed legislation or approved resolutions that would make daylight saving time the norm all year round, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Those measures, however, cannot be enacted because federal law does not mandate permanent daylight saving time. 

Hawaii and Arizona only observe standard time. 

Last month, Mexico’s Senate voted to eliminate daylight saving time for the majority of the country, nixing the practice of changing the clocks twice a year. Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador is expected to sign the measure. 

Pallone, however, is hesitant to make the hasty change, despite its national and international support and campaigns from the longtime lobbying effort — which is championed by business groups, including golf organizations. He pointed to the episode nearly 50 years ago when the U.S. temporarily took away daylight saving time. 

“We don’t want to make a hasty change and then have it reversed several years later after public opinion turns against it — which is exactly what happened in the early 1970s,” the chairman said. 

In 1974, former President Nixon signed a bill to make daylight saving time permanent for two years in an effort to combat the gas shortage. The move, however, was so disliked by the public that nine months later, former President Ford enacted legislation that restored the twice-a-year tradition. 

Almost a half-century later, with the bill through one chamber, key lawmakers are advocating for the change to get another chance. 

“We need a uniform approach, I think, in my opinion, which is why I support the bill to do away with it,” Mfume said. 

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), the sponsor of the Senate version of the bill, called ending the ritual of changing the clocks “a commonsense issue.” 

“States all around the country are passing laws to make DST permanent, but Washington, D.C. needs to act. I don’t know why the House refuses to pass this bill — it seems like they are rarely in session — but I will keep pushing to make this a reality,” he added, making a dig at the other chamber. 

Congressman Don Bacon (R-Neb.), a co-sponsor of the House bill, said the legislation is “low-hanging fruit for both sides.” 

“I think it’s a popular bill and I hope in the lame-duck session [the] Speaker will bring it forward,” he added. 

What the new status quo would become remains unknown. And key players are keenly aware that regardless of which decision the chamber makes, some individuals will be in store for a cranky wake-up call. 

“Half the country is going to be upset no matter which way we go on this issue,” the aide said. “And so we’re really trying to reach a consensus, but I can tell you those talks are still ongoing as we speak right now.” 

–Updated on Nov. 6 at 6:50 a.m

• Options
    Move it back 30 min then.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    yay, more daylight this weekend :smile:
    That's in the Fall, man.

bump for @The Juggler :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Fall ahead!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    yay, more daylight this weekend :smile:
    That's in the Fall, man.

bump for @The Juggler :wink:
    Haha.
    I thought of this thread today.  Nice.
  • Options
    Doesn’t faze me either way! 
  • Options
    I’m looking for that hour we lost anyone see it 🤣🤣
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,946
    I like gaining an hour. Losing an hour blows.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Feel so much more rested with the extra hour. Love this time of year!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,268
    The hardest part about the clocks changing is that it happens on different days in different countries.

Right now, Australia is 11 hours ahead of the UK, where my parents live.
    In 2 weeks, the UK will ‘spring forward’ by an hour so the time difference will be 10 hours.
    Then a week later, Australia will ‘fall back’ an hour so the difference will be 9 hours.

My family never get this right!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    The hardest part about the clocks changing is that it happens on different days in different countries.

In 2 weeks, the UK will ‘spring forward’ by an hour so the time difference will be 10 hours.
    Then a week later, Australia will ‘fall back’ an hour so the difference will be 9 hours.

Spring Backwards. Fall Forward. In the US anyway...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,268
    goldrush said:

That makes no sense, but I can see from previous posts that this argument has already been had, so I'll leave it be. 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    goldrush said:

I always thought it was spring behind?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

That makes no sense, but I can see from previous posts that this argument has already been had, so I'll leave it be. 
    It's never made sense but that is how we've always remembered it here in the states. Always been the opposite. 
    chinese-happy.jpg